Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 pm by Colin Marcus

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» The "Bored at work" thread
Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

» Dulgar Foamblower
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 am by Colin Marcus

Excerpts from Ancient Forgotten Sadness -the journal of Nas Ath’quehel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Excerpts from Ancient Forgotten Sadness -the journal of Nas Ath’quehel

Post  xarhelm on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 pm

This is the journal of Nasolryl Ath’quehel.

I am a stalker by trade and an undead slayer by fate. I am the last of my family line and the final mortal life of a once proud Elvin house. I will document my travels here in hopes that I may pass on some wisdom to someone who may find it useful. I will record my thoughts and perhaps the few feelings I still possess as they reveal themselves and time allows. Eventually I will record my own history on these pages as well as the reasons for my journeys and the goals I hope to accomplish. For those wishing to read further I have written the rest of the journal in an ancient now dead language. This is for the safety and security of both myself and the others listed within these pages .

I have been traveling with a group of adventurers for almost a month now and while it is apparent that I have seen much more of the world than most of my companions I am still unsure of most of them. They all seem of a similar good nature and as such I find no reason to leave them. I also have nowhere else to go and am far from being ready to complete that which I set out to do. Here is a list of my comrads and my thoughts on them thus far. I admit I do not know them overly well but I keep my distance both out of concern for their safety and the protection of my own feelings. I have lost SO many friends already. I can not bear many more so soon.

Jaya- Halfling, “Rogue” I am quite certain that I know what she is and what she does or rather is capable of doing. Although she seems to oddly enough to lack the heart for such a dark trade. I doubt many my companions understand fully what she is (if any). I see her as a possible kindered spirit as both of us share a similar skill set though her is a bit darker than my own. Both of us also place the group in a lot of danger if the group should be captured and/or our professions discovered. Together that risk increases many times over however it also makes a very formidable duo if it is ever needed. Jaya is an assassin.

Lady Darya- Human, Paladin of the Morning Lord. Other than her rather annoying of waking the entire party up at Dawn in an overly cheerful manner I have much respect for her and her devotion. If the party should run into undead as I am certain with me along they will she will prove very useful. She acts as the moral compass of this group and guides us along an honorable path. She however has a paladins mentality and at times may expose the party to undue risk because of her zealous nature. As she becomes more experienced she will learn.

Friend Carlos- Human, I have little way to describe the human we have dubbed “Friend Carlos” Slave would be close but he is even overly dedicated for a slave. bonded would be a closer description. Jaya and Lady Darya have taken it upon themselves to break him of this but I fear it will be a long road for them. He has several magical tattoos on his person at least 2 of which are necromantic in nature I fear there may be a great deal of trouble for this one whether he is the trouble or it comes looking for him is yet to be determined.

Jace- Human, Mage Jace is very green and my guess is that he with the exception of our Dwarven companion maybe the most unfamiliar with their surroundings. He seems a very capable mage but not at all like most f the human mages I have met. There is no pompous self important attitude. He reminds me more of the magic users of the wood elves for lack of a better word it is grassroots magic simple and elegant untouched by the humans “research” it seems more pure. He is appears to be a elementalist in the water school so he lacks many of the more aggressive offensive spells of fire and air. Still whether he knows it or not he has proven himself wise in strategy by placing a wall of fog up to cut of the vision of a group of bandits which allowed us to neutralize the bandits and even capture a few of them.

Torin- Dwarf, Priest The dwarf is an honorable fellow and occasionally makes me chuckle at his antics. He does not intend to be funny I believe but never the less there are times I find him amusing. A good example of this is when after a fight with the bandits mentioned above occurred Torin had grievously injured one who promptly surrendered. Out of frustration at the rather sudden change in the out come the Dwarf smashed the bandit in the face with his shield. He was not attempting to injure the man but ended up rendering his unconscious as the bandit fell he hit his head on a rock and was in danger of dying very quickly from the head wound. Torin Actually bandaged and saved the mans life screaming that he had surrendered and therefore it was not right to let him die when that was not the intended outcome. He is perhaps the least experienced traveler here. It seems from the questions and statements he makes that he is new to the surface and interaction between other race. He is however skilled with his axe and hammer and makes a formidable ally on the battle field. He is however not very quiet especially asleep. But that is for another time.

My final two companions are perhaps the most difficult for me to grasp and as a result difficult to work with. While both have already proven their worth in battle and they seem to be building repore with the group. I am afraid that I will not work with either very often. Our skills and training seem to be of very polar opposites.

Riff- Human, Bard. Riff is capable of handling himself in a fight but in other settings not as much. It is not for his lack of trying its just Riff is about as subtle as a banshee choir. The fact that he dresses like a over zealous male peacock does not help. He is loud , fast talking and wears his feelings and his thoughts on his brightly colored sleeves. It also seems that he sees most of the females we meet as potential bed mates and struts like a peacock at those times in attempt to entice them. I sense that he thinks I do not care for him sense I keep my distance and frown upon his revelry. While his actions make it difficult for me I do not think he realizes who he travels with and what exactly their true professions are. Perhaps that is best as I am not sure discretion and secrecy is something he is used too.

Cleander- Wemic, Priest Where Riff is a banshee peacock Leander is quite literally the half lion in the middle of the inn. Cleander is very trusting of humans as he was freed from captivity by a group of human mages from my understanding. Humans however are not so sure about Cleander. While nothing fazes these smaller towns who are happy to have a fresh infusion of coin to the local economy I fear this trust will be betrayed as we get near larger town and cities. Being so large and occasionally very opinionated it is difficult again for me to remain unnoticed. As such I will keep my distance in town but will try to learn more of him and his people in the wilderness.

As of yet none of my traveling companions have inquired about my limited sleep habits or the fact that while they eat meat almost every night I never partake and in fact lower my hat so as not to be able to see them eating flesh. Perhaps they are not aware of these habits at all. They as of yet have not even noticed my wanderings in the evening. I am always within sight of the camp hidden and silent. It is probably best they have not noticed as I am not sure I am ready to answer such questions yet. Well it grows late and I must get what few hours of sleep I require and can bear before the Morning Lord’s Holy Warrior sounds the dawn. If only I could get her to reset for five minutes every morning. She sounds joyous at the time I am most filled with sorrow.

xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Re: Excerpts from Ancient Forgotten Sadness -the journal of Nas Ath’quehel

Post  xarhelm on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:40 am

I have had a life of trials and have not lead the life of music and laughter attributed to the Elves. When I was but a youngling I went with my family to a hunting camp. The camp was well known and had been used by the elves for centuries. It was late at night and I had left camp because I could not sleep. I have never slept well even by elvish standards. This night I decided a walk would bring me rest. Little did I Know I would never sleep well again as this night would see my world destroyed.

I had not gone far when I heard the first cries of battle and screams of pain. I ran back to the camp to help fearing animals had raided the camp looking for food or worse Orcs. I returned to see what looked like bandits but they fought like animals biting and clawing my kin. I did not understand why most of the camps well made weapons did nothing against these strange bandits. I hid in the shadows as my entire family even my sister were slaughtered. I remained hidden as these things drank the blood from the dead and watched in horror as my mother, sister, 2 cousins and several others who i knew well rose from the ground and joined with the bandits. I was enraged how could they join them after what they did. I stayed hidden until just before dawn and then emerged from the shadows. I was spotted by my mother and one of my cousins who rushed after me with beast like fangs bared. I ran in fear and somewhere in that time the sun arose and I watched as a cousin and my own mother were completly distroyed before my eyes by the rising sun.

At the time I did not understand what I had seen and the elves of my homeland did not wish to speak of it even to the orphaned survivor of the incident. It was not until I left to get training as a stalker in the human lands that I learned what I had seen. Most stalkers have sworn enemies but they are usually Orcs or Bandits but i knew my would always be Vampires. I discussed this with my instructor and it was he who sent my back to the elves (the wood elves not to my homeland at my request) He suggested I learn to become an Undead Stalker. During my training there I learned of famlies history further and what my great grandparents had become inside the lost city of Myth Drannor. Wraiths! I swore someday to release all of my family from their current fates. I carry a small bracelet made from a lock of my sister's and mother's hair that my mother had cut and kept as a reminder of my promise.

I Recieved an "Adult elvish name" in the sylvan tradition chosing a name meaning Ancient history hunter of forgotten sadness as was fitting my mission and life. I then left to begin my career. At the request of my human trainer I traveled to the halfling lands to learn to move silently and hide in an urban setting. after the completion of my time with the Halflings I joined in with my current group as mentioned on the prior pages.

That is who or rather what I am. and what my story is to date. The rest i record within these pages as it occurs.
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Post  xarhelm on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:03 pm

The past few days have been a true test of our groups strengths. There was several disagreements and much finger pointing after an incident with goblins went rather poorly. We spent most of that night each having our say and then laid the matter to rest vowing to start over. We even went as far as to reintroduce ourselves which seemed very effective as we were more comfortable (at least in some regards) with each other than when we first met. Much more about our background came forth. This proved very therapeutic for myself as I did not receive the rejection I had from my own people but rather seemed to gain more acceptance along with some understanding. The following evening we played a game I believe Riff called “I never” it is played with a strong beverage of your choice . Each person takes a turn saying an I never statement such as “I never fought a troll.” if anyone in the group has done this they must then take a drink of their beverage. It was fun and enlightening to say the least.
We then went to a local mage we hired to identify some items we found and found out some interesting things about some of our finds. I will not go into those details until I have concluded those issues to full resolution. We then went to a local lord to see if he had any work for us. This proved to be very fruitful indeed. With a large part of our group delayed with various other personal projects Lady Darya, Torin, Riff and myself were asked to investigate a tomb some of the lords workers had uncovered. Inside there was much evil. I was obligated to continue on as I believe Lady Darya and Torin were by their respective gods ethos. Riff did not flinch at entering the tomb much to his credit as what awaited us was more than we experienced before in our large groups. Undead are a bane and unnatural and I have sworn my life to their destruction most paladins and priests have similar beliefs I have been told. As we searched the tomb we did encounter a great deal of undead. We fought 6 skeletons and 8 zombies. We also encountered one of the most foul of the undead a wraith. We were not well prepared and discovering that both of my holy companions lack the abilities to turn undead made it more difficult. Luckily I try to always be prepared for the disgusting creatures and had more than enough holy water to bless weapons and my own silver weapon we were able to destroy the creature without incident. I am not sure the rest of the party realized how impressive a feat that was at our groups relatively limited experience. But we survived and recovered a treasure worth 4000 gold pieces. I will need to take some time away from the group in the near future in order to document and update my information on undead as I have learned much. I am also looking to get a new weapon design made and perhaps I can have that done at the town we keep using as a central point for our adventures in this area.
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Post  xarhelm on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:07 pm

I have agreed to go into the dwelling of four Giants alone undercover of darkness. I am searching for anyone the giants may have kept alive as fresh food. I am also looking for clues to seee if these giants have been bothering any others in the area. There is a strong possiblity I may not return from this mission. I am ok with that if it should come. After a recent discussion with Jaya I have finally been able to admit that I am not responsible for the events that befell my family. I was saved by an Assasin, who would have thought? In the event of my death I have written here a small will. I do not own much and will not leave much behind when i go, but to each of my comrades I leave the following.

Last Will and testament of Nasolryl Ath’quehel

Torin- My book of herbs and plants that I have had since I was a child. He has the healers abilities and much of that inside will help his efforts plus it will give him some insight to the wilds of the surface.

Lady Darya- I leave my extensive notes on the undead and ask that she continue to put these foul things to rest.

Riff- I leave the remainder of my fey wine. while his pallatte will not appreciate the sublties of the drink it should get him propperly intoxicated rather quickly.

Friend Carlos- my cloak it will help hide you when you wish not to be found but will also keep you warm and dry something you may not be familiar with.

Jace- I leave this journal and a small notebook on the language of Dragons. Something a mage would appreciate I believe.

Cleander- My silver mirror and holy water. it is used for undead but I am sure you will find it usefull.

Jaya- You already posses much of the same tools I do. So to you I give the one thing you have not been able to provide for your self. Forgiveness for your past and pride in what you have become.

It has been am honor to have known all of you amd I thnk of each of you as a friend. Yes, even you Riff.

Farewell and may the gods smile upon you,

Nas
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Post  xarhelm on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Much has happened since my Last entry and I will do my best to sum up what I can of it here. SInce I am writing again I one can assume I survived the infiltration of the giants liar under the cover of darkness. I found a few potions and a spell scroll that I gave to Jace. He seemed quite elated with the find. I should explain my motives for the infiltration as until this point I did not state them and even my comrades are not aware. I went knowing the giants would notice my presence in the liar and would probably search out the one that did so. I felt my comrades had their intentions in the right spot but were a little apprehensive on combating the giants or looking for solutions. With the infiltration I was able to force their hand a little sooner than perhaps they would have without it. I do not mean to insinuate that they were afraid or unwilling to help I just feel they did not see the issue with as much urgency as I myself did.

It worked out well though taking a number of piercers from the cavern and an alliance with aarocokra nearby allowed us to strike the giants from the air and from above quickly eliminating them with only 1 injury and thankfully no deaths.

Now we come to a point that could begin to frature our little group. We discovered a set of ruins deep within the woods. The ruins are inhabited by bandits or mercenaries we are unsure which although we suspect they have formed some sort of alliance with a large tribe of orcs. The group is discussing capturing and interrogating one of the bandits. I do not think this group will have much luck with this as their moral codes are not condusive to most interrogation methods. If these bandits fear death for revealing information, are well paid, or well trained they will not give up information freely or easily. It may require more forceful or deceptive meathods. I know ways to do this but fear that some of the group may not wish me to use either a deception or force. We have also talked about Jaya and I going into the camp and possibly neutralizing the guard. I am not sure the others know of Jaya's aversion to killing and I will not ask her to do so without any other options. I fear we may be headed for some internal conflict within the group. I will speak with Lady Darya and Jaya alone later this evening. Perhaps we can come to some sort agreement.
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Upon the leaving vote

Post  xarhelm on Tue May 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Today was filled with many hard lessons. Some even for me. Many of my companions have not seen the gruesome and evil filled side of death. They saw it today in a very personal way. I know many of them became physically ill, but i suspect mentally they bare scares as well. A Wizard of Tuerelve came today to announce to us that they would like to assist us in curing friend carlos. We have beseeched and gotten help from many people and creatures even goblins we have treated kindly. The emissary from Tuerelve, a wizard did not recieve such treatment. Distrust and taunts were all he got from many of us. I had threatened him only as a precaution as he teleported into our midsts holding a wand. Not a wise choice for diplomacy on his part. The Priests however, were far from congenial. Constantly calling him evil and throw spells his way on several occasions. It became so outlandish that I lost control of my emotions. I insulted both of their gods. It was done to illustrate how they were labeling this wizard with no proof. Both had the look of wishing to attempt to strike me down on the spot. Yet I wonder if they love their god more than their own family? The labeling of all wizards as evil meant in their eyes my own mother, sister, and both sets of grandparents were evil. They are not evil or rather were not evil. They now wear the mantle of undeath because they chose to allow others to escape before them. In my sister and mother's case that someone was me. I called Nobanion the wemic god of head hunters (Cleander has taken several heads as trophies or proof of his deeds) And I referred to Gorm as the god of Bigots or some phrase there in. (Torin is new to the surface and is quick to judge and label)

As I told them when I made the outlandish claims. We have met one evil priest and 0 evil wizards. Yet we level spells and distrust at the wizards and completly trust in the priests. No one cast 15 spells on them to determine if they were evil. Yet the wizard had to endure this treatment and more. I hope they have learned of the sting of false accusation, but i doubt it.

We have taken on what may develop into a new comrad. A Gnome. I am unsure of his name as i was opening a box for Jaya that was trapped and taking a spell to the face when I believe he said his name. After he gathered his equipment he carry's an unusual crossbow and I believe he may be a priest. He has been welcomed without question by the group again illustrating my point. I hope he was not offended by my words. I do not know what his plans are at this point since I barly know who he is.

Finally, It appears as if I have picked up a few new party member's of my own. I have been working with the bandits dogs that were horribly abused. I have befriended them and will work to train them in the near future. I may no longer travel with this group in the near future but at least I won't walk alone.
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top