The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question.

+2
Mr. Awesome
xarhelm
6 posters

Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question.

Post  xarhelm Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 am

So.....

For those of you who were indisposed for the past few days an interesting question was asked by a local lord of us recently. I feel it is now time we discussed what the answer maybe.

Judging by the puzzled looks I am recieving from even those that were present and heard the question I shall ask it of all of us again.

Who are we?

I am sure someone with more knowledge of Recent History or fable can confirm but in my experince most adventuring groups have names.

How do we wish to be remebered when tales of our hopefully brave, noble and rightous deeds are retold?

I think a group name will allow us to begin building a reputation and perhaps secure more lucrative and intresting work that may not be offered to your average band of adventurers.

And further with all respect to our esteemed Paladin I do not wish to be introduced as "Lady Darya and friends" everytime we are announced. it sounds more like a minstril group than a group of heros.

I suppose as I start I will suggest one I thought of and welcome any other suggestions input or objections until we are all agreed on a name. My First suggestion is:

The Fellowship of the Opposing Eight Signs

I thought of this as the name encompasses who we are as a group. to each of us there is an opposite in the group. and yet we have forged a fellowship out of this. The eight opposing signs I have chosen represent each of us in some way and for each sign there is an opposing sign that represents another member. Individually each one is strong and yet when combined together it sometimes seems as if nothing can stop us.

Fire represents or Wemic firemane friend
Water represents Jace the Water Mage
Earth represents me and my Elven ideals
Metal is for Torin and his Dwarven heritage
Light is for Darya the Paladin of Dawn
Shadow is for the stealthy Jaya
Laughter is for Riff and his comedic studies
and Sadness is for Friend Carlos and his conditioning

As I said it is only a suggestion to get things rolling any other ideas are welcomed as is any input to tweaking my suggestion.

What say you my comrads?
xarhelm
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Riffington Alexander "Givin' ya octo-lovin" von Ulm

Post  Mr. Awesome Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 am

"I like it! Plus it gives me an excuse to come up with a theme song for us! Though you do realize that if one of us shifts disciplines or changes moods about something, we MAY have to change the structure of it. OH YEAH!!! I JUST THOUGHT UP A NAME FOR OUR SONG! Octo-lovin. Yeahhhh....thats gonna be amazing."

Riff knew, the song would fly just about as well as a brick into the morning sky, but was willing to give the thought a nudge. Curiously, he wondered how far he could push this joke. Not only that, but how severely inappropriate he could make the potential lyrical structure for it.

"Oh, and Nas, I hate to break it to you while you're on a roll, but by all technical standards, metals actually come from earth, so that not QUITE an opposing ideal. Now if you went with trees which certain types of elves LOVE, which come OUT of the earth, then you might have something..."
Mr. Awesome
Mr. Awesome

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 am

Riff while it is true that metal and earth are similar by some standards other see them as very different. Metal comes from earth but is not earth much like ash come of fire but is not fire itself. In my interpretation Earth includes all the things known to the surface world as natural where as Metal represents that which is found under the surface world amongst the kingdow of dwarves. Wood however can be seen as opposed to fire as well which is why i chose earth rather than wood.

And No to Octolovin but a theme song would be interesting I think.

Last edited by Gwilly on Thu May 06, 2010 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
xarhelm
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Lady Darya

Post  Wynnsaren Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:26 pm

"I agree, I think it's high time we came up with a name for ourselves, and The Fellowship of the Opposing Eight Signs is an excellent name, Nas! I appreciate the thought you put into it!"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Riffington Alexander Bingbong Singsong von Ulm

Post  Mr. Awesome Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

"Okay, okay...so thats a big 'NO' to octo-lovin then. What about Spider-lovin'? No...no...thats just WAY too close to a make-out song for priests of Loth. All right, so I'll work on something. Not so much a history of our group, but more of a chronicling...of our RISE TO POWER as the hardest and most amazing band to EVER cross the lands!!!"
Mr. Awesome
Mr. Awesome

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Jayashree Anjuli

Post  WoTmaster Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:10 pm

"I love this idea! Nas you have a wonderful concept going! I feel though, that the word "Opposing" may give off a negative feel. Maybe we could come up with another more positive option?"

Jaya then proceeds to list some alternatives...

Contrasting
Contrary
Unlike
Mismatched
Varied
Assorted
Deviating
Eclectic
Diverse
Distinct
Distinguished
United
Unified
Blended
Balanced
Steady

"I tried to find words that encompassed how different we all are and yet how we can work together. Any thoughts?" Jaya finished shyly. She really hoped Nas wouldn't take offense at her suggesting other words.
WoTmaster
WoTmaster

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:43 pm

I had considered many of these myself but I had felt none completly encompassed the true and somewhat unbelievable alliance we have here. There are so many who should not work together or even perhaps be friends yet here we are. I chose eight signs one to repreesent each of us yet I could have made 4 or five of these lists showing direct opositions for example

Jace trained in a tower torin trained in a mine one above the ground and one below.

Riff's outspoken style and my quieter nature

we have both noble and slave in our company.

If the group prefers another name I am happy to change it of course I just wanted to explain why I chose the words I did. Plus we have the lovely achranim of F.O.E.S. which is what by generalizations we may have been.

If we used eclectic we would be F.E.E.S. and that may not get us hired as often.

Besides there is much we do oppose such as evil, undead and monsters. the question of what we oppose alone may keep us within the minds of potential hiring lords.

Remeber our name is just how we are identified our actions will determine the "feel" of our name be it ominous of historic.

I however take no offense at any changes suggested or adapted that we may make. I merely suggested the name if we think if has the wrong feel then so be it. Anyone else have an opinion?

Last edited by Gwilly on Thu May 06, 2010 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
xarhelm
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:16 pm

"It's quite a mouthful, I'll say that..." The dwarf stated. "Battle may be over before we've finished anouncin' ourselves..."

"Still, I ain't got a better choice, so I'll not oppose this one."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Jayashree Anjuli

Post  WoTmaster Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Jaya listened to all Nas said and nodded along.

xarhelm wrote:... Besides there is much we do oppose such as evil, undead and monsters...

Jaya brightened at this explanation. "I like that. It is true there are lots of things we oppose, even more than when we sometimes oppose each other... With that explanation of the word I find it much more to my liking! We are opposites that are united in our opposition of these other wrongs!" Jaya felt much better about the name now. It was still a mouthful as Torin said, but the name truly FIT the group, as odd as we are.
WoTmaster
WoTmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  xarhelm Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:11 am

Elric wrote:"It's quite a mouthful, I'll say that..." The dwarf stated. "Battle may be over before we've finished anouncin' ourselves.

Nas actually laughed out loud at the Dwarf's words.

"If my memory serves me right it is shorter than a formal dwarven introduction. Which of Course may still be well shorter than Riffington's Complete and formal introduction."

"Although from what I have seen of this group during battles there really wont be much need to introduce ourselves as most of our opposition won't be around to tell the tales and we can always introduce ourselves at the end to those that surrender."

"perhaps a banner or some symbol maybe better for announcing who we are in battle but that is something I have no ideas for."

Last edited by Gwilly on Thu May 06, 2010 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
xarhelm
xarhelm

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Jace Arclight

Post  Magyc Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 am

"I do love a good acronym." Jace interjected. "As for introducing ourselves before battle, I am not sure that is an issue...most of our battles began when I suddenly have a piece of metal sticking out of me."

Last edited by Gwilly on Thu May 06, 2010 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
Magyc
Magyc

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Riffington Alexander whatsinanameanyways von Ulm

Post  Mr. Awesome Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:02 pm

"You know...I kinda LIKE F.O.E.S.!! It's got a nice post-ironic feeling to it. Besides, we can tell people that they just got smote by their foes now."
Mr. Awesome
Mr. Awesome

Back to top Go down

Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question. Empty Re: Evening of the Third of Ches-- Nas asks an important question.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down