Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 pm by Colin Marcus

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» The "Bored at work" thread
Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

» Dulgar Foamblower
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 am by Colin Marcus

No longer home

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No longer home

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:20 am

Eddick enjoyed the wedding party immensely. Not only did he drink a little too much, but everyone laughed when he was dancing with Gwilly and she turned herself into a pint-sized version of Kaber. He didn't remember much of that day, and that particular event had to be related back to him. Nonetheless, a great evening.

The thing that surprised him the most was that Evatt was there. When he first saw him, he did not recognize him, with the armor and helmet and strange looking bow. But it was him. His winning smile, his pride and determination, even that odd sense of humor. Even though people said that Evatt looked like him, he was only reminded of the boy's mother. Eddick smiled to himself. If anyone has the right to not call him "Sir Evatt" it would be the one who knighted him. In his mind, he was still that little boy pulling back his mother's bowstring and losing a stretch of skin off of his arm.

Eddick, being the former ruler of Silverthorn Keep had not been there for about seven years, until he had sneaked into the treasury last night and replaced two potions of longevity with the daggers he had picked up in his travels. A fair trade, so at least he couldn't be accused of stealing, even though according to the law, he did still own it all. It had been tradition to be able to take a magical item from the treasury, as long as you replaced it with something of equal or greater value.

At first he had desired to talk to his successor, see his grandkids, spend some time with them, but he realized that if he was to ever make it back to the wedding, that was something he could not do. It was painful to remain hidden, or rather, transfigured in their presence, but he had promised himself that he would return when the festivities were over. And now, Evatt had come to him.

From the stories his son had told, he had gone through some harrowing experiences to find him, so Eddick thought it was best to not tell him that he had just been back to the keep the previous night, and listened with interest.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Sir Evatt Silverthorne

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:55 am

Evatt was glad when he talked his father into staying indoors for their reunion. The wedding day was nice, it was a good celebration. It was enjoyable to see CoRD interact, and he knew what it was that his father was doing here. They treated him like a person, instead of like a king, and it was refreshing. As the youngest son of an Eddick, he understood that it would be next to impossible for him to take the throne, and how he might react if he had to do that very thing. His father had that very position. Now he could be a person, and he was loving it.

The small bar was not overly pleasant, but the people were nice enough. If one got used to living in the same town as a minotaur, a druid, a mage, a pixie, a fistbeater, and the speaker of the dawn, accepting their visitors however odd they might be was second nature to them. Sir Evatt was sure that if he tarried here too long, Ashara's mother would try to set him up with someone's daughter or sister. But there would only ever be one for him.

He began his story, so that his father might know what he had been up to. Normally he would have preferred a less public place, but perhaps the story would raise the glory of Lathander in the eyes of the people here, and they might start paying more homage to the small shrine and make it more of an acceptable home for the Heroes here.

"When you left, and we could find no trace of you, I sought out the Oracle mentioned by Eddick the Sage, to see if she still existed. Ellio went with me. Eddick the Sage's accounts led me to Chult, the land of the Tabaxi, and against the darkness of Eshowdow. On our journey there, we encountered the fabled "Lost Vale" and communicated with the residents there.

"One young bladeback named Thorntail volunteered to be our guide. He was a warrior of his people, despite that bladebacks are usually quite devout, only because he had found no god that he felt was worthy of devotion. He heard of Lathander through me, and seemed genuinely interested. We used the time traveling to speak of all of the things Lathander stands for, and you should have seen the light in his eyes. Oh it was a marvelous thing.

"We had to practically fight our way through the jungles there. There were strange beasts of all kinds, and most of them willing to try to eat a well armed and defended group, so their intelligence was low, and we were able to prevail without serious injury, and with a little help from Ellio's illusions.

"When we reached the Oracle, she ended up not being anything like what I expected. As per the legend, she was a nereid of the small stream coming down from the burning mountain, but she was maimed like Tyr for some reason. Blinded and with her hand cut off, it might have been done by some enemy of Dragonbait the saurial paladin. Since I did not want to waste questions, I asked her where I might find you. She replied in a haunting fashion that I needed to bring her a tooth of a red dragon, the head of a deposed tyrant, and a favor from an aasimon, and she would reward me with the knowledge of where you would be found. Without hesitation, I accepted the terms, although I wish at this time that I had not."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Eddick

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Eddick opened his mouth to say what he normally would say about regrets, but quickly shut his mouth. His son had not come all this way for a lecture. If there was one thing his long years had taught him is when to shut his mouth.

He marveled at his son. Was it just seven years ago that he left him? Then just barely a man, and now, a hero. The evidence of his son's heroics were not just in his stories, but in the very things he wore. It was clear to see that he had seen much, maybe even more than even his father had seen. They had begun their journeys at roughly the same time, and it did not sound like he had as much down time as his father had since then.

The old druid did notice that there was some interest in the story from the tables nearby, as the conversations around had hushed down quite a bit, with only a couple of old men chatting about something in the corner. Eddick smiled to himself and puffed out his chest just a little bit. In no time at all, this entire room would be hanging on Sir Evatt's every word.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Sir Evatt

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Sir Evatt had paused with his moment of introspection for two reasons. The first was the genuine remorse his foolhardy eagerness had caused him and his companions such loss, the second, knowing that the emotion was genuine would have a definite effect on the listeners. May Lathander be honored, even if I am not. May his teaching be for more than just this one man.

He continued his story. "Due to the lack of knowledge of where to find a Red dragon, much less being able to procure a tooth from one, and being quite unable to do the necessary planar travels to find an aasimon, I suggested we set out for the border kingdoms hoping to find a tyrant to depose.

"Ellio informed me of the rugged individualism in the area, so we were unlikely to find a tyrant there. Spiketail mentioned that we could perhaps slay Tyrannosaurus, king of the Dinosaurs, for that should meet the requrements. Since there was one rumored to be to the south of the Lost Vale, we headed back there to find some more information as well as to restock our supplies.

"When we arrived at our guide's home, he was greeted by his enthusiastic son, Redleaf. Even though we were different, and Spiketail could not even speak our language, There was great similarity in the way we related to our families. We were also welcomed into the community, and as they learned about our quest, they volunteered to help. They helped me construct some war lances for me and Icarus to use. If one would strike true, I could impale the beast and we could finish it from there. Ellio even took a spear with him, having to lay aside his trusty rapier for something that could harm such a large creature.

"For the next few weeks we stalked the beast, hoping to find it, but finding more trouble than anything. We even happened on a pod of Su-Monsters, or whatever they were. Ellio nearly died, but we were able to drive them off, having killed far more of them then they had of us. In the end, through Spiketail's new faith in Lathander, we were able to track the beast down. The fight was longer than we were hoping. The creature was a fair bit larger than I think even Spiketail was expecting, but we were able to drive a few shafts through the beast, and it ended up bleeding out and collapsing before we could make a clean kill.

"It's head and teeth were enormous, but through creative use of spells, we were able to shrink it a bit and drag it back to the Vale. From there, a kind Hornhead was able to turn it into a leather picture of itself for half a day. I ended up paying him a retainer fee to help us return it to the Oracle. One down, two to go."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Sir Evatt

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:54 am

"I will not deny it father, but it was then several years later when we found the means to continue our quest to find you. We spent some time locating a red dragon, and then went over and over the means to actually slay it, being that it would not give us one of its teeth willingly anymore than you or I would make a present of an eye to a dog. I tracked down a couple of Golden Badgers, because their hides make wonderful protections versus fire, and Icarus needed the extra help. We went out and found components for some magical arrows for my bow, and discovered some wizardly scrolls that Ellio could use to help.

The moment was nearing, when we received news of a portal to another plane. I do have to admit, I was looking forward to attack the dragon, or rather taunt it, but that indeed comes later. But Ellio convinced me that there was potentially more powerful allies and magic available in the planes, and so we ended up going there. We arrived in the strangest city I have ever seen. It was curled up on itself, so that where ever you were in the city, other parts of the city were hanging precariously above your head. The name of the city was Sigil, but I have no idea why it was waiting.

We found a bar to gather information in, it was called the Sake Sake. The short statue next to the door looked at me as I passed by, a matter that turned my stomach just a little, but as we went inside and noticed the decor, I realized that this may not be the place for us. There were demons and various creatures in here, the tapestries were all of infernal places, and there was a Werefox wrestling a Succubus in a pit of mud while there was a crowd of onlookers cheering. It was hard to say if they had a particular favorite, or that they just really fond of what passed for entertainment there.

Ellio followed me in and cursed under his breath. A drink simply appeared in his hand, and later we found that the gold to pay for it was pulled right out of his money pouch. I turned around and left, and stopped Spiketail from coming in while Ellio, in a bold move, handed his drink to a demon named "Pinky" who seemed genuinely pleased to receive it. He told me that there was a vampire next to the demon with a cup of the demon's blood who bid him welcome, but even Ellio is not that daring.

Just down the street we found another bar called the Arch Rival which unlike its name was a far finer establisment, and we used it as our base of operations for our time there.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 am

The druid sat back in his chair and smiled. He sat in the glow of this young man's company, wondering if he knew how proud of him he was. Evatt did not know, then, that the first Eddick had been to the very same city many years ago. Rather than interrupting the story, his mind drifted to the old stories he used to read.

Because he was duty bound to the Keep when he was still young, he could not leave except for diplomatic missions. His heart longed for adventure. There were journals of days gone by, of which Eddick had poured over in whatever spare time he could muster, usually late at night. There were tales like this one, of strange new worlds and far off places, all of them he soaked up very much like the desert made the fallen rain vanish.

Eddick the Great, or the first one of his line had gone to the planes and fallen in love with an exquisitely beautiful woman that he found there. He eventually brought her back to Silverthorn Keep. It had been rumored for generations that she was a Deva, or a powerful being of the upper planes, the antithesis of everything evil, the counter to hordes of evil creatures from the lower planes. Eddick had noticed that those of his line seemed to have a bit more spiritual energy in them than just about any other people that he ever met, and so it was possible that this rumor was true. If Evatt was looking for one of these enchanting creatures, he would be hard pressed to ever be satisfied with anything less. It was in his blood.

With eager anticipation, Eddick devoured each word as it crossed the table.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Sir Evatt

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:15 am

The bar had almost hushed completely, with the only noise besides the paladin being responses to his words. There were gasps about the otherworldly bar, a vampire supposedly drinking demon blood, and the statue with eyes that moved. Every time he stopped the tale for a drink, sometimes there would be excited whispering and it seemed as if someone in the back was taking notes. The paladin continued his story again, after his brief pause.

"It took some time to find what we needed. For a while, we acted a bit like heroes for hire, doing good things and receiving rewards for doing them. We did it out of necessity, because although like do take gold out there too, things are more pricey in that city than anywhere else. In order to pay off our debts to house and feed us, we had to pull some lucrative jobs. Now, we were choosy, but we ended up going some very interesting places.

"We retrieved a rogue modron for some odd people from Mechanus, spent three days in a freefall caravan on the elemental plane of air, and even went on a Night Hag hunt in the gray waste. It was this last errand that allowed us to get some contacts among the very small number of Agathinon who occasionally visited Sigil.

"From what our contacts in the city told us, the Agathinon were initiates toward a greater goal. One may hear of the Devas or the Aasimon, those immensely powerful counterpoints to the evil of devils and demons, but all who tread that path were once Agathinon. Those who follow good and light can become Agathinon and through great deeds ascend unto greater power. Of course this is how it is with most extraplanar societies. Those who do well are promoted, but this is not guaranteed to happen, so it is a special occasion when it does.

"In any case, it seemed as if there was a physically weak but beautiful Agathinon named Lavendolyn, who I begun to be acquainted with. Where many of her kind would fight demons and do daring rescues in dangerous territory, she was far too fragile for such work, although she had told me that she had come up with a good idea for advancement. When she was promoted, as she told me, she would receive a new body, perhaps one that was not as fragile. I, for one, was not upset with the body she currently owned, but it was her spirit that captivated me."

At this point he got a far away look in his eyes. This was the point at which nearly every man in the bar felt a twinge. Over the course of the story, many of the men in the bar had come to respect this man, the son of Eddick, who had done nearly as great of things as his father. The armor he wore, dragon scale, the weapons he carried told of great battles and even just the tone of his voice was amazing. There was no hesitation, no radical embellishment, just the straight facts of what happened said so matter of fact, that it seemed as if he was discussing the weather, or perhaps how to build a fence.

When he said "it was her spirit that captivated me", the twinge that grabbed them all was the one that happens when a man sees that bounce of hair, gets a faint whiff of fragrance, the sound of laughter, the taste of salty lips, or feels the tickle of nails on his back. The story automatically brought forth the feeling of that ancient, destined, star crossed, first, epic love that many men secretly desire. They hold it in such high esteem, but they hold it close and safe, and rarely is it seen. Even now, as the men in the tavern felt it, they did not show it except very subtly. But the mention of great love will always bring about this feeling, and everyone present knew they were in its presence.

They listened, enraptured as he described nearly every great woman they had ever known. "She understood her limitations, but had no fear. She was humble, but not self demeaning. She smiled and laughed often, but there was a sadness in her eyes. There was a magic about her that made everything more, and I did myself feel as if I had been incomplete up until that moment I met her, without my knowledge of such.

"She interviewed me about my homeland, and the holy relics of Lathander near my home that I had made pilgrimages to see. And I asked her any questions I could think of just to hear her speak and to prolong the time until she left."

He paused and took a swig from his mug. "That is, until the day she did not show for our scheduled meeting, and upon going to her room, I found that she had been kidnapped."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Sir Evatt

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 pm

"After gaining my companions and a few spells cast, we were able to track the abductors to a portal that led us to the Outlands. The other information we received about them was sketchy at best, only that they were infernal, and dark armored giants of a sort, only none that anyone had any information about or had even heard of before, but with the infinite layers of the abyss, these things were possible. The only thing we knew was that they served the demon lord known as the bloated one.

"Following their trail wasn't easy, for though we had gotten some idea that they were large, their footprints were very shallow as though they weighed hardly anything. When we finally came upon them, they were very strong, but when we killed each one, they burst in a great glorious light, and some of our wounds were healed. It was extremely odd.

"There were close to thirty of them, and the battle was hard fought. We almost lost Thorntail, but Lathander was with him that day. I was beaten pretty hard as well, but Ellio had hardly a scratch on him. Battles were unpredictable things, especially with an unknown foe. They had a particular hatred for men of faith it seemed.

"After we destroyed the last one, we discovered that they had some interesting treasure among them, this helmet for instance." He reached up and tapped the strange skull like helmet that glowed faintly in the dim tavern. "As well as an iron bottle, that apparently has the ability to capture any creature and keep it from escaping. We opened it, and I was reunited with the lovely Lavendolyn. She was quite happy to see me, but seemed quite embarrassed. She was injured but she would not let me touch her to heal her. The meeting was quite bittersweet for me."

Sir Evatt swallowed, but there was no ale in his mouth. His eyes started to glisten. "It was then that I realized she was in love with someone else." He cleared his throat. "I let her ride Icarus all the way home. It was a quiet journey, and when we finally reached Sigil, I could bear it no longer. I declared my love in the middle of the street, and she could not bear it, but she left me this." He reached inside the chest piece of his armor and removed a small white handkerchief.

The look of pain that stabbed every heart that saw his eyes at that moment was brutal. From the wounds, tears began to flow freely throughout the tavern, although none would admit it. There was too much lantern smoke, something in the eye, the sausage was too spicy.

As the paladin opened his mouth, his voice broke. "I had come closer to finding my father, but the price was high." Again he cleared his throat, and this time he continued with renewed strength. "Although I did not know that it would go even higher."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Re: No longer home

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top