Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

Colin Marcus

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 pm by Magyc

» The "Bored at work" thread
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

» Dulgar Foamblower
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 am by Colin Marcus


Extraction of the Benign

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Extraction of the Benign

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Wed May 05, 2010 10:54 am

Aspik watched the party through the mirror. It seemed as if they were cleaning things up a bit during the aftermath. They were in pretty rough shape, so it might actually be the right time to come and take care of business. The whole process made him nervous, but he did his best to hide it. It was a good thing that it was a hot day, so the sweat seemed somewhat natural. He got up and headed over to the scroll shelves, waddling a bit as he did so. His black robe swished around his ankles, not being quite long enough to cover them. Aspik was quite overweight, being over 200 pounds, and physical exertion made him a little wheezy. He pulled out a wand and a scroll, and walked out to the middle of the room.

With a wave of the wand and a command word, he appeared in the courtyard. He stuck the wand under his arm and pulled out the scroll and began reading. "Under the authority of the Council of the independent city of Turelve, I am here to treat with the Fellowship of the Opposing Eight Signs, for the safety of the realm." Having penned the opening statement himself, he was somewhat proud of it. He meant to appeal specifically to the paladin and the priests because of their understanding of duty and lawful behavior. The ranger and halfling and mage were more of wild cards, and he suspected that the jester would be unhelpful in his endeavor.

After reading the scroll, he placed it under his arm and waited for those involved to show themselves. Although he noticed with a start that there was a behir lounging on the roof, staring directly at him. He pulled out a handkerchief and wiped his brow.
avatar
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Posts : 559
Join date : 2009-09-19
Location : Calimport

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Wed May 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Nas had been in the stables trying to calm and approach the half starved war dogs. He heard the voice and drew his bowin a flash. Then he listened from the shadows. upon seeing the wizard and hearing his words he made a simple reply before the others strolled into the courtyard. "Proper decorum requires the treating parties to be unarmed wizard! put away the wand or I shall staple that handkercheif to your head Permanatly"


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Aspik

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 pm

The hostile response was suspected, but the manner of the Elf confused him for a moment. Then the idea of what Nas was thinking came across his brow. He opened his armpit and let the wand drop to the ground to avoid hostilities. He wiped his brow again and began to speak, mostly hiding the tremor in his voice.

"If I had come to wish you harm, elf, then that wand would have been the least of your worries, I assure you." He stated as matter-of-factly as he could. "But if threatening me makes you feel safe, threaten away, and be glad I am of even-temperament." He was glad he was prepared with a suitable line in response to what the elf had said.

If they got him off of his script, this not might go as smoothly as he had hoped. He now wished he had brought some city guards with him, but he knew he would be unable to accomplish his task by doing so, unless they would be willing to wait around here for a few minutes so that he could retrieve them, but that wouldn't look as impressive.
avatar
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Posts : 559
Join date : 2009-09-19
Location : Calimport

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Wed May 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Nas put away as his bowwith a laugh at the wizard always the arrogant type (with the exception of Jace) He enjoyed reminding them of their manners in times like this. They always assume they are the superior but this one knew the truth. It was warm but not warm enough to account for the copious amount of sweat pouring from the wizard. "I assure you wizard my bow was the least of your worries as well." He nodded up to the Behir "With that said and proper manners now observed I am sure my comrades will be forth coming shortly." Welcome noble wizard would you care for something to refresh yourself?" Nas added with a chuckle "A cold Drink of water perhaps?"


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Lady Darya

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 pm

The paladin was rifling through the storage room of the keep, filling a small crate with food for their tongueless prisoner on the lower level. The woman would have to be taken to Milbourne and tried for her crimes of course and she'd probably be serving in the mines for many years to come, but perhaps an undeserved kindness from those she had done wrong would set her sooner on the path to rehabilitation. Maybe Jayashree would be willing to present the prisoner with the rations...

Her thoughts were interrupted by an unknown voice announcing itself out in the courtyard. Hefting her shield onto her arm, Lady Darya strode out of the room to face the speaker. The ever vigilant ranger had been the first alerted to the large wizard's presence...well...except for Szaraal who was staring at him intently. Fortunately for the wizard, Cleander had brought the behir a deer for breakfast!

Raising her palm toward the newcomer, the paladin drew her eyebrows together in concentration for a moment before her hand returned to her side. There was no evil in the wizard' intentions...

"I can assure you that this man means us no harm, my friend," she smiled at Nas, nodding in appreciation for his watchfulness. A quality that she greatly admired in the elf!

"Welcome indeed," the paladin said turning her attention to the man in the black robes, "especially if you are from the Council in Turelve! I am Lady Darya Nishan," she bowed slightly as she introduced herself. "I see you've already met Nas and Szaraal... You say you have business to discuss with the Fellowship?"

The paladin offered the wizard her waterskin.

"It may not be cold, but you are welcome to it if you are in need."

With that, she raised her voice to call the other companions out to the courtyard to hear what the man had to say.

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Jace Arclight

Post  Magyc on Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm

While the rest of the party were engaged in various tasks around the keep, Jace was excitedly studying the spell book that had been discovered. It was more advanced than his own and had the potential for doubling his spell library, pending his successful transcription. He had identified several defensive spells, which could greatly fill a hole in his tactical spell usage- currently he had no protective or defensive spells available to help the FOES.

He was trying to identify all of the spells contained in the book when he heard raised voices out in the courtyard. One of them was Nas, and he knew that was very uncharacteristic of the elf. He quickly hid the book behind some furniture in the room and then heard Darya summoning (thankfully calmly) the rest of the party to courtyard. Jace stepped out and observed a large stranger (apparently a mage) standing by Nas and Darya. Since they weren't preparing to engage him, Jace moved within hearing range, but still well behind his two compatriots.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
Magyc

Posts : 193
Join date : 2010-01-25

Back to top Go down

Shoby

Post  The Sub-Creator on Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm

After a couple long hours of searching, the gnome had scrounged up a piece of cloth without remnants of the former occupants' victims splashed across it in one form or another. He hoped to locate some lubricants by which to clean and polish his weaponry and armor, as well, but on that venture came up empty. His poor repeater had suffered no end of bad company within that chest for however long he'd spent hanging as a tortured outlet of the Loviatorian priest, and it deserved a good once over. Without the proper necessities to make it happen, he feared a long scrubbing would have to do. Perhaps it would at least bring a little more sparkle to the weapon anyhow.

Shoby had positioned himself on a large rock at the outskirts of the courtyard, the faint traces of chiseled shape still evident through the weathering, professing the piece once belonged to some man-made structure in the ruin. One look at the nearest wall ruled out that possibility, which meant something had moved it from its former occupancy. It led one to question what exactly had established itself amongst these ruins before the most recent bunch, and what the motives might have been for dropping the hunk of stone at its present location. Mysteries, he decided early on, best kept to ponder on a rainy day.

Only a brief time had elapsed when the newest guest of the ruin popped into the courtyard, immediately followed by an official announcement from Turelve "for the safety of the realm." The gnome watched and listened to the brief exchange between the black robed one and the elf--whom he'd not yet been formerly introduced to, nor provided with a name (not that this surprised him any), and, subsequently, the arrival of the (until now nameless) paladin. Despite his general dislike for either of them, he had mulled over the past days events and accepted the terms of their first meeting to have been unorthodox, to say the very least. Hells, he supposed it might even be possible that in his beatings-induced haze they may have said something to him about who they were, and he'd just missed it. Somehow, he doubted that, however. He recollected full well their requiring he supply his name. Seemed odd to him that he'd remember the one and not the other.

With all that, he noted how eagerly the paladin had spouted her title to the one draped in the fine bed sheet. Must be because he's an official from Turelve. Had he been prisoner of the Loviatorian priest in an official capacity, might be she'd have given him her name, as well. All that . . . and then he wondered why he even cared. Not a one of her compatriots had bothered doing the same.

Fellowship of the Opposing Eight Signs he had heard the finger-waggler call out. FOES. "Well, I s'pose it ain't no wonder, then," he spoke softly to himself.

Shoby spit in gratitude to his rescuers, then went back to splitting his time between shining his repeater and keeping one burgundy-flecked, golden eye on the official interaction happening in the courtyard.

_________________
This is my word, and, as such, is beyond contestation.

The Sub-Creator

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-19

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed May 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Once again, Torin had completed the circuit of the keep. It was as secure as he could make it, and his companions and himself were as safe as he could make it. Which considering how easy they had stormed the walls did little comfort him.

Hearing the Paladin's voice call out he went to see what the fuss was about. They were talking to a stranger in wizard robes... The dwarf sighed... Walls of a keep were little use against wizards. His first instinct was to attack. Either he had come from inside the keep and was likely an enemy... or he had come from outside. Considering how far off the beaten track they were... that didn't bode well either.

Still Lady Darya and Nas already were relaxed around this person and to the dwarf's observant eyes didn't seem to think him a threat... Despite the ease of breaching their walls...

"What's the fuss all 'bout here..." the dwarf called out to his friends.
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1799
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Aspik

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Wed May 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Aspik took the waterskin although he really didn't want it, but not taking it would be a breach of etiquette, and he just would not stand for that. Not on official business. He nodded to each as they entered the proceedings, and did his best to look as official as he could.

"It has come to the attention of the wizards in Turelve that you have one among you who has undergone considerable torture under the hands of the Red Wizards of Thay. It was the recommendation of these wizards to request the presence of this person at the tower for an extended stay, in which he would be given an education for the simple price of the examinations and magical research necessary for them to understand his particular "gifts".

"The council agreed with the provision that he be accompanied at all times by a priest of Yondalla, well known for her ability to care for those who are unable to care for themselves, and to mother them until they are ready to do so. The wizards agreed to this provision and it passed with only one dissenting vote. I have been sent as an emissary to be able to retrieve this individual for this purpose. I of course will give you time to formulate your response."

Aspik looked around at their faces. He was always a poor judge of character, and he would have much rather spent the day not meeting any new ones, but studying his books. But considering the favor that had to be pulled in to make him do this, he figured that it was indeed worth it. Providing he did not die, of course.
avatar
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Posts : 559
Join date : 2009-09-19
Location : Calimport

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed May 05, 2010 7:38 pm

A rumbling sound came from the dwarf, something that was a cross between a growl and chuckle.

"Jest that easy then... Y'all come swoopin t' save the day. And we're to step aside and let ye jest take 'em becausin' ye decided ye want 'em..." The dwarf spat in disgust.

The thought of Carlos going back to the mages angered the dwarf. He wasn't fond of mages to begin with... Unnatural things... though the one they traveled with was alright... Still he was young, and given time and power... don't all mages become like this preeminence??? This one in front him had a healthy dose of arrogance.

What did they want him for anyway? To help him? To study the marks and Remove them... or to make MORE like him... As much as the FOES treated him like a person... it would be VERY easy for others to just treat him as a powerful magic storing device...

"This person ye seek, has had enough of Wizards decidin' where and when he's goin' places... More then enough for a lifetime."

"He's gettin' an education, and we don't need yer' kind o' help..." The dwarf poked a finger towards the mage, then to the sealed gate.

"Get gone!"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1799
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Wed May 05, 2010 8:03 pm

"Lady Darya is this priest of a god with which you are familiar? I am not aware of this God and am uncomfortale with most holy folk since the gods have never seen fit to show me any of their grace and mercy. I do however trust my companions and your judgement in the matters of religion."

Nas thought for a moment more and then looking at the mage. he said "I am of the firm belief that HE is not a posession to be handed over and does not BELONG to us."

Then turning back to his companions,
"On the other hand, if as has been said preeminance can still see and hear us through friend carlos perhaps he would be better served with the wizards. Although I would ask that we recieve some updates as to his condition and well being. I prefer these come from the priest if Lady Darya deems her trustworthy."


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed May 05, 2010 8:14 pm

"BAHH... I ain't worried about the priest! I'm worried about the wizards!" The dwarf shook his head in annoyance. "Wizards are the ones that done this to him in the first place!"

"He may not belong to us, tis true... but we have taken 'im under our protection." He was silent a moment to let that thought settle in.

"That ain't the kind of thing I walk away from jest 'cause someone ELSE took an interest..."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1799
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 pm

I trust Wizards only slightly more than you Torrin. But after a recent clash with a priest I am not inclined to trust them much more. My point was that we have no say in the matter or rather we should not. It should be up to Friend Carlos.Though I am not sure he is capable of such a choice yet. I also think we are not the best protection for him. He has until recently been unable to defend himself and he has no weapon skills. We are facing increasingly dangerous foes. He has taken much damage in recent days. I fear we will soon be posing a bigger threat to his life than preeminance himself. Again it is not our decision especially mine. Perhaps Darya Jaya and Cleander are the best to make this choice as they were the closest to him.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Lady Darya

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm

"Yondalla is the chief halfling deity," the paladin spoke up to answer Nas' question, though her eyes never left those of the wizard. "A protector and provider... A mothering sort if you will.

"If Friend Carlos were to be looked after by one of her priests, then I believe whole-heartedly he would be in good hands and would assure that no harm would come to him.

"I am curious however, as to how the Council learned of him... We've not been down that way in some months now, though I think we intend to visit there again soon.

"We have indeed taken this tortured soul under our protection as our friend Torin states, and I would be very hesitant to pass him off to those I am not familiar with. That said, it seems that in spite of the efforts of a number of us, we've seen very little progression in his condition. It may take him years to get to some level of self-sufficiency. My immediate concern is for Friend Carlos' physical being, as Nas has stated as well. We're travelling a dangerous road right now, and I'm not sure that's any place for a man in his state..."

Lady Darya sighed slightly and looked over the mage's shoulder to where the former slave was standing back and to the left of Cleander.

"I don't know much about the wizards of Turelve, as I'm not from that city myself. I ask that you forgive my blunt questions, but how do you know of Friend Carlos in the first place, and what assurances can you give us that you seek his betterment and not your own?"

The paladin's grey eyes turned to meet Nas', and she nodded slightly, hoping he would understand that she was asking him to use his skills to be sure this wizard was speaking only truth.


Last edited by Darya on Thu May 06, 2010 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Thu May 06, 2010 2:07 am

Nas knew what the look from darya meant and so he wispered to the Paladin. "If this was a deception by wizards I do not think we would have been presented with a fat sweaty mage who is poorly trying to disguise his fear of us. I believe if he was here to decieve us he would seem fair but feel foul. Where this seems foul but feels like the right answer to my instincts."

Nas would need to watch more carefully and get him off his preplaned script to tell for sure.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Aspik

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Thu May 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Aspik watched the back and forth between the party impassively. Obviously they were not completely together on this. How could it be blamed. They had charge of someone that most good-aligned people would at a loss to be able to handle. It was bad enough that they asked Aspik to teach him basic magic theory.

He cleared his throat, "Gordrenn received a message from Tauster concerning the man's tattoos. After looking into it, and realizing the power required to do such things, he brought it up to several of his fellows, on what might be best done with the situation. They all were interested to meet him, and were concerned with him being with an adventuring company. No offense, but adventuring companies are well known for their short lifetimes, and speed was necessary to assure his safety.

"We have already contacted Lafayer, who spoke to us at length concerning the acuity of this man, and even though the consensus was to invite him to the school, he was not capable of making a decision to do so. That is why they went to the counsel for permission to bring him. Slavery is forbidden in Turelve, and although the Wizards enjoy particular liberality, this was not an practice they wanted to be made known among the populace that they had started."

"Have you any further questions, or are you prepared for your formal response?" He said with a bit of an air of finality. He wished to be back in the tower, and not having to make assurances to people that their interests would be better served in another fashion. He had wanted to teleport in, take the man in question and teleport out, but Gordrenn was concerned with the fact that the paladin had connections, and it could cause a political backlash, so he had to come here and try to do diplomacy, which he really did not like.
avatar
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Posts : 559
Join date : 2009-09-19
Location : Calimport

Back to top Go down

Lady Darya

Post  Wynnsaren on Thu May 06, 2010 2:22 pm

The paladin nodded as the wizard confirmed one of only two ways she could think of that the Council may legitimately have known about Friend Carlos and his condition. Tauster had said that he'd be contacting his peers regarding the situation to see if he could learn more about the tattoos.

"Gordrenn was the wizard who first set us out on our journey out of Turelve," she said, speaking mostly to Torin and Cleander, who weren't with the company at the time. "If the Council has also spoken to the priest of Illmater, and he believes this to be a good move for Friend Carlos, I would be inclined to agree with him.

"I feel that we can trust Gordrenn as well as Tauster, and I have every faith that Lafayer and the priest of Yondalla are seeking our friend's best interest. Friend Carlos deserves to have more structure and a better environment to develop in than I believe we are currently able to provide him with. If the Fellowship decides that this is for the best, I would like for us to be allowed to visit him when we travel to Turelve, and I would also request that we receive monthly letters from the priest of Yondalla detailing his progress. While he certainly does not belong to us, we all have a vested interest in his well-being!"

Lady Darya's gaze shifted between her gathered companions.

"What say the rest of you?"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 pm

"I agree with two rather simple conditions the first is that we ask friend carlos for his thoughts even though we know the result I feel it will further our efforts if we offer him the choice. the second is that the wizard before departing cast the identify spell on the items we have found so far so that we may know what we have in our posession. it seems that would be a small feat for such a powerful group of wizards. Although the priest with healing spells would have been better."


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu May 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Torin rolled his eyes at the elf's suggestion. He truly wished that Friend Carlos had an opinion for himself, but it just wasn't so. When asked to choose between food and dirt, he'd thought WAY too long, and finally chosen the DIRT! Even if he DID have an opinion about what was in his own best interests his natural instincts were to go AGAINST his best interests in favor of the interests of whoever was speaking at the time.

"Ferget, the identifying... We ain't takin' payment for our companions, and I wouldn't want to spend that many hours with this one anyway..." He pointed a thumb at the obnoxious mage.

Lady Darya's opinion surprised the dwarf and he tried to hide it well... He had expected her to fight to keep the broken human with them as long as possible. Obviously she trusted this mage and his story... and she usually had good insights, where as this whole human society still confused him. He was sure she saw something that he didn't... Still what he lacked in knowledge, he made up for in gut instinct.

"I don't like it.... But these ain't my lands. I'd say the Fellowship should take a vote. I'll abide with what the majority thinks... but My vote is to show this mage the door, and if he acts like he don't know what it's for... Use our boots to help 'im along." His attention shifted to the Paladin.

"I don't know this Gordrenn, and Personally I think Tauster's a bit daft himself..." He looked across all his companions locking gazes with each in turn. "I don't know Turvele... Except that just outside the place is where we found him discarded and bein' eaten by dogs... What I DO know, is Mages DID this to 'im! They also don't have the reputation for discarding or fixing what they can still use... and I think he's been abused enough by the spellcasters..

"I don't know what THEY'RE intentions are... and I've taken an instant dislike to this one." he indicated the sweaty human again. "If he's the best they had to come speak with us... my bones tell me somethin's wrong..."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1799
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Fri May 07, 2010 1:31 am

I am not looking for payment master dwarf. I am merely negotiating we have something we value in friend carlos. They want him. A proper negotiation deems that we be compensated in some way. If we allow them to take him and they gain knowledge they did not posses before we are only short a comrad. It seems a quite one sided negotiation. A truly foolish gesture on our part I am not looking for payment to give them friend carlos I am looking for compensation for his loss to the party. As well as a show of good faith on their part.

I am of the opinion that our protection, if you could call the wounds he has currently as protection, is lacking. He will no doubt be safer else where. I am unsure of the Turelve wizards and their policies but I am well aware of the wickedness of those in Thay. I take some encouragement from that. Perhaps our Bardic friend knows more since his travels in the human realms are more extensive.

As for your argument that wizards did this to him perhaps I should point out that it is no worse than what I have seen priests capable of. I only need look downstairs for that evidence. Besides if preeminance comes looking for his slave these wizards may prove a better deterent than a mere adventuring group.

In the end I am of the opinion he go for his own safety. He is unable to defend himself at this point and maybe for some time. Though I am in agreement with Darya that we recieve vistation rights and updates on his status. I also stick with my statement that we are due compensation for our loss to the group.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Cleander, one angry Wemic

Post  captain54jcv on Fri May 07, 2010 5:58 pm

In the aftermath of the battle, Cleander and FC began cleaning up the remnants of the horrors committed by the evil priest. Cleander continued to ask FC questions with the attempt to discern emotional feelings and true thought within the former slave. There was a unique bond between the wemic and FC that the other party members did not understand...but then again, how would they even be capable of it? None of the other party members were beaten and tortured to the limits of their existence...so many times during his torture he knew that it was only by Nobanion's grace that he was able to survive. When the water mages rescued him, Cleander only knew pain and suffering and often responded to the mages with "yes" and "no" mumbles. Knowing that he himself had been tortured into a dream state, Cleander wanted so desperately to bring FC into a conscious state, a free state, free to make his own decisions.

Through fishing with FC he learned much about the evil wizard. This wizard was truly powerful indeed, perhaps even implanting dreams (or nightmares) into Cleander in the middle of night. The most recent still burned in Cleander's head...for some unknown reason there was FC, Cleander, Jace and the Paladin on a boat when the evil one appeared. Preeminence, exactly as the slave described, was a most powerful wizard indeed. Preeminence quickly dispatched with Jace, and made the Paladin disappear. Cleander, however, was magically flipped upon his stomach with his legs pulled backward and the wizard ripped holes into his hamstrings. This vision was one that Cleander spoke not of, but was always in his mind. He reasoned that the dream involved those three as they were known to teach FC something - Jace showed the ways of reading, Darya helped him defend himself, and Cleander tried to undo the years of evil pounded into him. The others, Cleander figured, weren't tall enough to board the boat or maybe they couldn't swim. In any event, the dream felt real.

As he heard the commotion from outside, Cleander prepared for battle and leaped onto the scene. When he saw that Nas, Darya and Torin had the scene secured, he approached and began listening to the conversation. Not having any idea what was said before his arrival, he became angry at the discussion between Torin and Nas. Glad to see that the fellow priest was standing up for FC, Cleander felt that he could no longer hold it all in.

"ENOUGH ALREADY!!!" angrily bellowed the wemic. "FC is a man, a FREE man, who is learning to make his own decisions. How dare we talk of shipping him off to some strange mage without giving him the opportunity to speak about it! How dare we ask for something in return! This wizard should offer to help us in our quest to free FC from the evil upon him, not to put him into a different form of servitude!"

Upon saying these words, a sense of fear fell upon Cleander -- what if the words he just said taunted the evil wizard to attack. Since wemics do not show fear, he tried quickly to back himself out of the situation while maintaining a strong position.

"I cannot, and will not, contribute anything to this conversation that does not involve my friend, FC, having the right to speak for himself."

Saying these words tore the wemic apart inside. Was his attempt to save the slave and teach the slave to think successful? Was he able to teach FC the gift that Cleander had to relearn -- the ability to be free? Or, would Cleander fail again, as he had for so many of the cubs in his tribe that he failed to protect against the evil armored giants so long ago?

Taking a step back, Cleander cast "Know Alignment" in the direction of the mysterious guest in an attempt to learn the mage's true intentions.
avatar
captain54jcv

Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri May 07, 2010 10:24 pm

The roar of the imposing Wemic drew Torin's attention. He knew they had been spending a lot of time together, though he knew little of what they'd accomplished. To the dwarf's eyes any improvement in their broken friend was minimal at least.

The dwarf sighed to himself. Everyone wanted to hear Carlos' opinion of the matter. It was like banging yer head against the wall. They knew it wouldn't work, but they kept hoping for a miracle. That one day FC would just... wake up! It wasn't going to work that way. It was slow and steady process. Like a child. He wasn't READY to make life changing decisions on his own... Until he was ready... Prepared and molded into his own person, it was up to his guardians to make the decisions for him.

Despite Cleander's outburst, Torin was certain that Carlos was NOT a free man. Truthfully he wasn't really a man! Not yet anyway. He was still a tool of Preeminence. It's what had been beaten into him and the mental and spiritual chains still bound him. Should his Master show up right now, this 'free man' would drop to his knees in servitude. And set all the FOES on fire at but a nod.

Finally he looked back to subject of the debate.

"What of it Friend Carlos?" He asked pointedly. "Do you understand what's being discussed here? This man..." He muttered in disgust. "Wants to take you to a council of Wizards. He says they MAY be able to help you.

"I don't trust him or his intentions. What do YOU think? Do you WANT to go with HIM... or do you want to stay with US?"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1799
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Nas

Post  xarhelm on Fri May 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Nas had tried to keep his emotion from clouding his statements but now this wizard bashing had to end. His mother, sister and both sets of grandparents were wizards. Powerful elven wizards. They paid a price far greater than slavery because they tried to help others.

"I will say this another way so that the preists may see my point through their self rightousness. I am NOT asking for payment for Friend Carlos I am asking for compensation for his loss to the group. Perhaps you do not feel he is a valuable member of the group and only view him as a slave but I do not! I believe he is as valuable as myself or Jaya or even Darya.

When Lady Darya was summoned by O to go on a quest for Lathander. Were we not compensated for her loss? Did O not join us during that time? Did you not only train but also learn to read from him Cleander? Perhaps it did not strike you as compensation because Darya is not a slave and thus it did not rile your Holy senses but thats what it was. I ask for no more and no less than what we recieved for Lady Darya. That seems fair as Friend Carlos is of no greater and certainly no less value than Lady Darya!

After watching this man for sometime I am certain he speaks the truth to his knowledge. If he was lied too neither your magic or my skills will discover that. As I come from a long line of elven wizards I will not continue to berate them when none of you have seen an evil Wizard. Perhaps we should be casting spells at the preists since we have run into an evil preist. Mayhaps Nobanion is the evil wemic god of head hunting, and Gorm the dwarven god snap judgements and false persecutions. I do not believe this to be the case but I have better evidence to believe a priest is evil than I do a wizard at this point.

I believe it is in his best intrest to go to Turelve and as i said before I think we should ask him though I doubt he will be able to choose himself. I will say this however if he stays and is killed. His death is on your hands."

With that Nas turned and stormed out of the court yard casting aside a set of leather armor he was going to have friend carlos try on before this had started. He might give it to as a parting gift or perhaps they couldbury him in it if he stayed. Either way it was out ofhis hands now.
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Sat May 08, 2010 7:57 am

The dwarf's face turned red in fury as the elf stormed away. NEVER had he heard such blasphemous comments leveled at his god! To actually compare him to the red haired son of an orc they had just fought!?! No dwarf would EVER speak so ill of Gorm and the words shook him to the very core. Every dwarven instinct in told him to chase the elf down and teach him the price of poorly chosen words!

But that conversation had to come another time. Almost surprised he realized that his hand was wrapped white-knuckled around the handle of his hammer. Closing his eyes he took a few deep breaths and forced his trembling hand from his weapon.

"Bahh, Elf's gone daft..." He muttered. "Can't figure out what they're thinkin' half the time... and the other half they're just plain wrong!"

Compensation?!? The concept still filled him with disgust. Apparently Nas had a different view of the Fellowship then he had. From the elf's explaination, the dwarf gathered, Nas felt everyone had a purpose and owed something to the fellowship. If that person left, they owed the group something.

THAT had never been agreed on. There had been no official negotions for group dynamics or purposes... They had agreed to travel together to find answers to certain mysteries... To the dwarf's pragmatic thinking, if the battle ever got to tough, they were free to leave whenever they wanted. No questions asked. No 'compensation' required.

As for Carlos' 'worth' to the group... Torin didn't know what to think. He was an extra set of eyes, he was very observant and fairly quiet... Good for guardin' IF you remembered to tell him to tell the others what he saw... The spells he could store were useful, but that line of thinking was too close to the way Preeminence thought... Good just for the spells he stored. The priest wouldn't go down that line of thinking.

To the dwarf, he really thought of the man more as a defenseless child. With the group... but not necessarily part of it. At least until he actively CHOSE to be. Nobody was forced to put their lives on the line as adventurers because they thought they were ordered to! Carlos was with the group because they wanted to help him! Same as if they had found some orphaned child or something... Was it dangerous for him to be around them? Probably... But just as dangerous anywhere else it seemed. The surface world was a dangerous place. They'd done a fair job of protecting the man this far... what made the elf so sure they were going to fail now!

A new realization hit the dwarf then. Nas was scared! Not an emotion he would have attributed to the normally stoic elf... but that's what it must be. It had been a long couple days for the elf and the halfling. They hadn't had time to tell of what exactly happened to them. But he knew they had been beaten in the woods, and if the rest of the Fellowship hadn't cleared out the upper levels of the keep, met them and tended their wounds when they did... they would have been dead by now. That thought stole much of the anger from the offended priest.

"Well... That's two votes. One for... the other against! Anyone else have an opinion?" he asked gruffly.
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1799
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Aspik

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Sat May 08, 2010 10:15 am

The mage was nervous. He knew he was not adept at diplomacy, but he only expected to deal with one group of people, not a bunch of warring factions. He hadn't seen seen so much bluster and shouting since he saw a bunch of Waukeen followers barter over a new shipment. He needed to make an ammendment to his earlier feelings. He actually was horrified. There were priests here, of good gods, a paladin! These were good people, but they were all completely unreasonable.

Perhaps he should go to the local magistrates and make the case of the fact that these people were incapable of taking care of themselves, why in the world should they take care of anyone else. He was glad he didn't see any of them making eyes at any of the others, which he was told often happened in adventuring groups. He would hate to see any of these reproduce.

Maybe that's why the gods allowed adventuring groups such a great amount of failure. They needed to cull the herd.
avatar
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Posts : 559
Join date : 2009-09-19
Location : Calimport

Back to top Go down

Re: Extraction of the Benign

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum