The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
A New Sunrise - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

A New Sunrise

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A New Sunrise - Page 2 Empty Lady Darya

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:33 pm

"As you wish, O," she smiled, dipping her head in a slight bow before lying back onto the bedding. "I look forward to setting our feet to the path! Diviners, dragons, devils... I daresay this could be fun as well as advantageous for the cause of good!"

Darya chuckled and covered her mouth as she yawned. Surrounded by the scents of Spring, and trusting Ollimer's assurance of safety, she realized sleep wouldn't be as elusive as she'd feared. A good thing. She'd need her rest for what lay ahead!

"Until the Dawn, my lord..." At that, the paladin turned away from him to avoid the temptation of peeking her eyes open from time to time. No doubt she'd believe this all a dream when she awoke! "Sleep well..."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A New Sunrise - Page 2 Empty O

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:46 pm

It was not very long until he heard the rhythmic breathing of a deep sleep come upon her. The waves lapped at the beach in time and the stars seemed to be singing. Everything else was quiet, except for the noise inside Ollimer's head. He understood the facts.

There was no edict about a relationship between celestials and mortals. Having incredibly long lives comparably to mortals, they did understand a few things that mortals had a hard time grasping, which usually caused more prudence in the matter. It had occurred a certain amount of times enough for statistics to be compiled.

Even if properly married, the couple could not live together, or even see each other with any regularity unless the celestial half of the relationship left their post. Then there would be disgrace and a loss of all the granted powers of the celestial because they deserted their post, with possibly a turn in front of the celestial tribunal.

The potent positive energy inherent in celestials meant a high pregnancy rate, nearing to 70 percent regardless the time of month, with a 20 percent chance of multiple births.

For Darya, pregnancy would mean a forced retirement, but also disgrace. While she did nothing wrong, that would not be the way that it would be seen. She might be able to convince her family that the relationship was actually with a celestial, that it was truly a holy union, especially if they were to meet him, but the populace would have a harder time with it. She could possibly go somewhere else and live in obscurity, but she would suffer with the displeasure of good people simply because of the way her life would look.

The baby, when it came of age would be mighty compared to their peers. This type of power differential would make the child stand out and would nearly force him to be one of the extreme alignments. Children also had a more difficult time holding up to the exacting moral standards of the parents when they were not both present. And there was a dangerously high possibility of a switch to chaos, evil, or heavens forbid, both. And that became a near certainty in the case of twins.

He could no longer deny his affections for the young paladin. That in itself was true. But would she understand the difficulty her life would take? Would he be willing to live in disgrace instead, both of them having to disappear from the view of the church, possibly harming her family's social standing and possibly even their status? Would they be willing to have their children turn against the very things that they held in such high esteem? Would the risk outweigh the reward?

It was certain, he would not be able to sleep this night.

O stood up and decided to stretch his limbs a bit. He walked down the beach a few steps away from her turned back and let the white wings again sprout from his back. His outfit changed to white as well, and his boots to sandals, before they were no longer needed. He jumped into the air and soared through the night sky letting the ground be left behind, but as he circled, he would occasionally glance back on the now tiny form that was causing him so much trouble as it faded into the darkness.

Lavendolyn and his animal friends would keep an eye on her for the time being.

Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

A New Sunrise - Page 2 Empty Lavendolyn

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:51 pm

As the white wings melted into the distance, a small lithe form appeared on the beach where the lantern used to sit with a very slight mist to mask the effect. She looked like an elf, unnaturally thin, pointed ears, golden hair, blue eyes and wearing a slight shift. Her face was stoic but there was a hidden sadness behind her eyes. She stood as tall as she could, stretching out her thin arms behind her and then up over her head before bringing them back down. Then she sighed deeply.

She walked over to the side of the Paladin, crouched down, and looked directly into her face for the first time. Her lips parted slightly as she studied her face. "Oh", she said. "Not quite what I expected, but it suits you." Her lips curled into the slightest of smiles. She straightened up and looked at the sky, squinting to see if she could make out the white wings against the sky.

"He'll be back soon." She mentioned to the sleeping lady. "You are luckier than I am." Her stoic features melted as her eyes reddened and tears filled her eyes. She leaned over and whispered in her ear, "I wish you all the best." The elf like woman reached up and wiped her eyes.

Her lip trembled for a moment, and then she went back over to the spot where the lantern laid, a slight white mist arose and soon the lantern was back in its place.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:24 pm

The stars were still shining brightly when Darya awoke with a start. For someone who spent most of their time traveling, there was rarely much shock anymore waking up suddenly and having to remember where exactly you were. Waking up in an unfamiliar bedroll with none of the familiar faces or raucous sounds of behir breathing and dwarvish snoring around you? That was another matter altogether...

After taking a few moments to recollect all the events of the previous day, she slowly turned to see Ollimer lying asleep on the sand a respectable distance away.

Ollimer... It hardly seemed possible! For months she'd pined for him, anticipating his promised return, and now...there he was! So close, yet the man was still such a mystery to her. Despite the beliefs of Eltarias and the clues she'd gathered which seemed to support those beliefs, she really knew nothing of him but what she felt in her heart. Who was he? What was he? Not human evidently... Not of this plane. The paladin hoped that during this new mission, she might discover answers to those questions if she proved herself worthy of them, but that was merely a personal goal. She'd been called to aid her beloved on a quest that could not only see the destruction of a regime allying itself with infernal monstrosities, but could bring him honor among his peers and perhaps...in the eyes of Lathander himself. Darya wondered how she'd measure up to such a challenge, but O said he would help prepare her, and so she must also do what she could to prepare herself.

As quietly as she could, the young woman wriggled out of the bedroll and padded down to the edge of the Golden Bay, where she splashed some water on her face and ran wet hands through her hair. It was still hours before dawn, but nervous energy set the paladin to work on her morning routine much earlier than usual. The bedding was rolled up neatly, ready to be returned. Her armor, shield and weapons were polished and cleaned thoroughly, as well as the lantern which was her daily habit since it had been recovered from the priestess of Tchazzar.

Down on the beach, enough of a distance away from Ollimer so as not to disturb his sleep, she went through her usual exercises, slowly working the stiffness out of each of her limbs as she watched the horizon for signs of the Dawn. Fortunately it was long wait. Distracted as she was with her constant glances at the sleeping form farther down on the beach, Darya finally managed to complete her regular warm up in double the time, just as the sky began to lighten. Surprisingly Ollimer still hadn't risen... After belting on the plates of her armor, she lectured the butterflies in her stomach then headed over to wake him.

He lay on his back with his head resting atop laced fingers as a wave of golden hair drifted lazily over one eye. Though his body appeared to be completely at ease, the tiny furrow at his brow told of some dark dreams or internal struggle that Darya couldn't begin to guess at.

Resisting the powerful urge to gently brush the hair from his face, she knelt down at his side and rested her hand on his shoulder. "My lord," she whispered, "it's nearly Dawn..."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:33 pm

He awoke the instant she put her hand on his shoulder. His body was already preparing to rouse itself before the dawn peeked up over the water, but the extra encouragement was not unwelcome. He smiled while keeping his eyes closed. "I haven't missed it yet though. The light has yet to change."

O opened his eyes and looked into the lovely face framed by the hanging of her ebony locks. He could get used to this kind of view. "I think we have a few minutes yet. I don't require much preparation in the morning. Smooth out the wrinkles, grab pack and stick and I am ready to go."

He sat up and then stood, spent some time brushing sand off of his clothes, and then did some stretching of his muscular limbs. As soon as the sun was risen, he could teleport them down to Zalazuu, to meet up with his contact there. "I always like watching the sunrise over the water. There is just something about it. Now, when you get into the deep water, there is the green flash as the sun shines through the water and it is just amazing. You probably have seen it, when you sailed over here, unless you stayed too close to the shore."

He turned toward her, looking in her eyes with a slightly mischevious look like someone who is telling a ghost story. "There is something exciting about sailing. The sunrises out there hold so much hope for a new day, because the night can be so dark. At any time, the whole of the ocean could reach up and swallow you, and you would not even see it coming. But I have yet to see a more satisfying sunrise than the green flash followed by a reveal of a completely blue sky."

He looked away from her, toward the horizon to see the sky mostly obscured by big, puffy clouds.

Ollimer's expression froze for a moment. Then he chuckled and scratched his head. "Sorry for the anticlimactic intro, I picked this spot because I thought we could catch the green flash here, but now the weather just isn't cooperating. I could never get the hang of it quite right..."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Ollimer's boyish charm elicited a grin from the young paladin as he spoke enthusiastically of his experience out on the ocean. "Whether the skies be clear or cloudy, I can assure you O, that for me this particular Dawn will be more satisfying than all others in memory!"

They stood side by side, watching the horizon in anticipation of the sunrise. His hand was so close... Darya could feel the tingling warmth of its nearness on the back of her own, but with much difficulty she resisted the urge to take it. Completely inappropriate... What would he say if she did something like that?! The paladin wrestled her mind back into focus just as the sun burst over the bay, lighting the water in a spectacular golden radiance.

She took a step forward and knelt down on one knee in the sand, while Ollimer, in stoic reverence stood silently as they witnessed the event. She'd seen many beautiful sunrises from the vantage of the Tower of the Golden Dawn, but this one was even more special because of the person whom she shared it with. Time slipped away so quickly, and when the sun had risen fully, she stood and smiled at him before hastily collecting her gear in preparation for their departure.

"I suppose I should ask the same question I did last evening, my lord" Darya chuckled nervously as she approached him. Ready and eager to be underway, she came to a halt about a foot away from Ollimer, her eyes dancing with excitement. "Will you be requiring me to close my eyes this time?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:43 pm

He had been so resolute the night before. Even if he had to fight against himself, he would win.

"Yes." His normally shining eyes got serious for a moment. "Believe me, it will be easier in the long run this way."

If only it were not so. But he shouldn't dwell on what he could not change.

His eyes brightened a bit and he smiled. "Besides, I close my eyes whenever I travel this way. If I see everything change instantly, I usually lose my breakfast. I think we can afford each other that courtesy, don't you?"

He felt a twinge of guilt because of his slight indulgence from before. The last time they did this, he wrapped his wings around her with his eyes closed, and he could not deny the joy the sprung up in his heart when he did so. He felt very protective of this one, and it translated to a desire for physical closeness. But he must remind himself that he cannot indulge himself any more than he had license, or else the mission and indeed their very honor hung in the balance.

As she complied with his requests, her long eyelashes pressed firmly shut, he allowed himself to change. His wings folded around her in a protective cloak as they vanished, and as he prayed silently, "Lathander, give me the strength."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

A New Sunrise - Page 2 Empty Re: A New Sunrise

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum