Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:51 pm by Magyc

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» The "Bored at work" thread
Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

» Dulgar Foamblower
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 am by Colin Marcus


Restless Natives

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Restless Natives

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Sarenth 7 4711

James walked down the streets of Akiros feeling both pride and trepidation. Anytime he was able to go about the city in his fancy tunic was good day. He felt taller, more powerful... 'Official.' He liked the way that felt.
 
Today was a little different though. Lord Thaddeus had sent him to her...
 
He'd had no contact with the ambassador... the oracle. He'd heard good things about her from others in the castle, but he also heard that she 'knew' things... and the fact that he wasn't able to nail down what 'kind' of things... made the man nervous.
 
Slowly, he approached the innocuous looking mapmakers shop. It seems reports were true. The oracle had in fact returned to Akiros.
 
Slowly, nervously he pushed the door the door open and twitched when he heard the bell chime. Seeing a young woman at the counter, he straightened up to his 'official' height and promptly bowed as he'd been taught.

"Greetings from Lord Thaddeus. Might I be addressing the Lady Wynnsarren?"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

The girl looked up from her parchment and with an ink-stained finger, pushed her spectacles up to the bridge of her freckled nose.

"Um, no," she said incredulously, "but if you step out of the doorway and let her inside, you might just try again."

He stammered a moment in confusion before another voice joined them.

"Adelise... Don't give the man a hard time, can't you see he's on official business?"

Wynnsaren shot her apprentice a playful wink before entering the shop directly behind the messenger. She wore a soft, crimson dress of spun cotton, with a simple if daringly cut bodice, and carried a basket of fresh produce on her arm.

The aasimar had gone out hours ago now, intending to stretch her legs, rest her eyes and enjoy the warmth of the sun, but as was usually the case, she found herself drawn into visiting with familiar faces, catching up on the goings on and the usual bustle of the capital city. These were some of the things that she missed during her travels around Novastasia. It reminded her of how glad she was to have an aide at the shop.

As an apprentice, Adelise was a fair hand at mapmaking, but it was the girl's fanciful drawings of flora and fauna that so captured Wynnsaren's attention, and which now adorned all of the geographical maps they sold. She was reliable and a hard worker, sharp of tongue and of wit, certainly capable of running the small business on her own...fortunate since the ambassador was so very rarely there anymore.

Wynn glided over to counter to set down the basket and then turned to get a better look at their visitor. She studied him momentarily before approaching and stepping in perhaps a little too close for the nervous fellow's comfort.

"It suits you," she smiled, tapping on the seal sewn to his tunic, "and you should be proud, for you serve a great nation and a great king." Clouded eyes drifted to a more comfortable and unfocused position before she continued.

"Now how might I be of assistance?"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

James the messenger

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 pm

"Proud... Great... Umm..." James stuttered embarrassingly as he stepped back a few feet, his eyes darting between the girl behind the counter and the young woman carrying the basket. She was not what he'd expected... He'd heard that she had helped many people around Akiros, nobles and common folk alike... Still he'd expected the ambassador to be more... stodgy? Less... smiley? Certainly not so... friendly. Still, he was a little relieved when those soul piercing eyes turned away. But only a little relieved.
 
"Ummm.. Lord... Lady.." He closed his eyes tightly and took a deep breath. A horrible representation of himself and his family... Taking a steadying breath he tried to regain his composure.

"Lord Thaddeus requests the presence of Lady Wynnsaren, at her earliest convience to discuss a matter of diplomatic importance."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:08 pm

With a bemused expression, Adelise watched the spectacle of the poor man, her cheek resting in her hand as leaned upon the counter.

This was hardly the first time Lord Thaddeus had sent for his ambassador and it seemed to her that every time he did...when he didn't make the visit himself of course (she nearly swooned at the memory!), he sent these messengers that were as green as the Gozran grass. She couldn't help but wonder if he chose these nervous young men purposefully to go retrieve the lady.

At the man's announcement, Wynnsaren's delicate brow lifted slightly in surprise. Matter of diplomatic importance . . . Besides the recent routing of the troll army just north of the city, she'd not heard rumor of any other new turmoil brewing, but then again, she'd just arrived back in town. This particular stay was suddenly threatening to be a very short one.

"I am sorry Adelise," the aasimar winced, turning to her apprentice. "I don't know how long I'll be . . ."

The girl waved her off. "It's fine! I mean, you can't not go! I still have that stack of copies to complete, so I'll just get on that."

"Thank you, my dear, I'll be sure to look them over later this evening then."

Normally, Wynn would have preferred to look more presentable for a royal summons, but weighed against keeping the king waiting regarding a matter of business, she opted for simply sliding a couple of silver combs into her hair to keep it out of her face. It would have to do.

She picked a few of the biggest, juiciest strawberries from her basket and then found a clean square of cloth to bundle up the fruit for the trip, scribbling a quick note and slipping the paper inside.

"So what was your name, sir?" Ready to go, the oracle turned back to the messenger who had been waiting patiently.

"Um . . . James, my lady. James Beaudry." Was this a test? He considered the possibility. Had he already flummoxed it by stumbling all over his words? The boy swallowed hard as he felt her unnatural silver eyes on him.

Wynn felt his nerves as much as she saw them, and she couldn't help but release the slightest of sighs. The term oracle or seer had a lot of baggage, most of which she'd left behind her after moving to Akiros. She did not recognize this messenger's surname, so most likely they were new to the area as so very many families were. She was a little concerned that if she spent too much time away from home, that those old prejudices would creep in again...

"A pleasure to meet you, James Beaudry," the aasimar smiled with a nod of her head. "I would appreciate it if you'd accompany me to the castle, as I'm as ready as I can be at the moment."

"Of course . . ."

Wynnsaren took the young man's arm before it was offered, and ignored his initial flinch of panic before he led her out of the shop.

It was not an over long distance to the castle from where she lived and worked, but it seemed longer than usual with the nervous messenger at her side. Try as she might to make simple conversation, he was polite, but elusive. This one would not be won over in a day it seemed.

Their footsteps echoed through the stone halls as James took her through the castle and up to the war room in which Thaddeus was working. He knocked on the heavy wooden door first before entering.

"The Lady Wynnsaren to see you, my Lord."

Thaddeus was bent over an enormous table in the center of the room, pouring over his maps, when Wynn swept into the room and knelt before him in deference.

"Your Grace . . . How might I be of service?"


Last edited by Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:27 pm

A frustrated Thaddeus glanced up as the door swung open and his messenger entered very professionally. The last week had worn on the paladin and seemed to just be a harbinger of difficult times to come. He nodded to the servant to dismiss him.

"Thank you James. That will be all."

"As you command, Lord Thaddeus." He said with a bow and quickly shut the door behind him.
 
Thaddeus took a map that he had been working with and pushed it to the side in favor a slightly larger one of the same area. He caught himself in a sigh as he glanced up to see his visitor.

"Wynn... Thank you for coming so quickly. I hope I didn't interrupt anything important you had planned this afternoon. I was wondering if you could help me with at least one of my problems..."


Last edited by Elric on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

"At least one . . ." Wynnsaren rose to her feet, her smile fading into an expression of concern. "And of course any others you might need aid in shouldering, my King. Mine may not be so broad, but they are steady."

The bundle of berries was set aside for the time being and she moved to stand beside Thaddeus as he studied the maps. Narlmarches . . . Kamelands . . . The southern Stolen Lands . . . Notes were scribbled onto the maps and loose pieces of parchment with additional notes were also scattered over the table. How long has he been at this?, she wondered as she stole a glance to note the weariness in his eyes.

One area in particular held the ruler's attention, the place in the plains where the Shrike and Little Sellen River met and changed course to flow south.

The aasimar pushed her dark hair over her shoulder and reached toward the map upon the top of the pile. "Here." She tapped a finger upon the place where the rivers converged. "What troubles you about this area?"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:31 pm

"While I've been dealing with Hargulka's trolls, it appears that the natives are getting restless," he said with annoyance.
 
"Apparently Novastasia is gaining notice from the river kingdoms. Mivon in particular. Sarala recently told me that she has information that they are... displeased with us growing our kingdom here, and claim to have some rights over these lands."

He smacked the map in annoyance near Candlemere lake. "You were there with us... not a person for miles. That keep had been empty since the age of legends, and now that we're clearing away the threats, suddenly it's disputed territory.
 
"Have you heard anything Wynn?"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:37 pm

With jaw set, the oracle crossed her arms over her chest.

"Not a thing," she admitted freely, "though it wouldn't surprise me if the River Kingdoms might want to test the resolve of their new neighbors to the north. That may be exactly what all this fuss is about too. Taking advantage of a situation . . . drawing you out for a fight, or making a grab for some land free and clear of monsters knowing that you have your hands full with other issues at the moment."

Wynnsaren took a deep breath and exhaled slowly as her eyes scanned the maps. The king's current level of stress was completely justifiable and she wondered how long it would be before his coal black hair took on more of a salt and pepper color at his temples.

"I have serious doubts that Mivon would have any legitimate claim to the area, but it would not be very neighborly of us, nor would it set good precedent to simply ignore the possibility and plant our own flag there without speaking to them first."

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm

"Legitimate claim is negligible here. Brevoy has always claimed this land is theirs... and frankly Mivon hasn't seriously disputed it till now." He sighed again as he looked at the maps.
 
"Thing is... Sarala wasn't very specific about WHO is restless down there. We've had some trouble with bandits from their territory and we recently chased out some lumberjacks who were in a confrontation with a nixie. No loss of life, thankfully, but they didn't seem pleased me siding with the Nixie.
 
"What I need to do, is find out who has a problem with us, and what exactly it is. Is it the general populace who are simply complaining because of a perceived rights violation... or is it the leader of this city-state. Raston Selline is the current 'mayor'...  Is he concerned in a 'military' sort of way?

"Frankly, we're too small to fight two fronts right now... I can't handle the trolls and defend what I believe is mine...
 
"If it's just citizens... then I don't feel there is much to be concerned about. I can put them at the bottom of my list and deal with them when I'm ready to move further south... but if it's more serious than that... Diplomacy will be needed."

He pointed out the section of his map that Brevoy had granted him. "This here, is where I expect my border to eventually be.  It's still well above where Mivon is drawn on the maps... and I have no intention of 'invading' them... but I fear that they may not see it that way.
 
"From the sounds of it, Mivon is where a lot of the swordlords fled when Choral founded Brevoy... As such I wouldn't be surprised if they see us as Brevoy puppet kingdom." He growled a bit as he did whenever that notion was approached.
 
"I suspect that they will be dismissive of anything Brevoy 'granted' and frankly I'd rather not deal with it now... but I'm not sure I can put it off.
 
"As it is we've halted... or at least slowed the exploration of this area until I know more..."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

After hearing him out, Wynnsaren turned her shining eyes upon the king, attempting to read his face as he was reading his maps. Something about what Thaddeus was saying didn't mesh well with how he was saying it. She had never seen him this perturbed before.

"I think then, in light of all this, that it's high time you are introduced to the Mayor. From what you tell me, we can thus far only assume Mivon's intent toward you, just as they can only assume Novastasia's intent toward them," she reasoned. "Assumptions are dangerous between nations.

"If you will it, Your Highness, I will go to them as your liaison. Let me help you to sort out the truth of Mivon's complaint and sow the seeds of mutual accord between our peoples. If it discovered that Mayor Selline is dissatisfied with your activities in your rightful lands, then perhaps we will need to move to further negotiations, but before we borrow trouble, let's mine for the truth in all these nuggets of rumor."

Concerned, the oracle laid a hand on the king's arm to pull his attention away from the maps for a moment.

"I understand that these reports are troubling, but I cannot help but feel that there's something else to this that's raised your hackles. There is more to this story than what you've yet shared with me."

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 pm

"Your right... there was something more." He jabbed his finger at a section of the Narlmarshes. A small dot with the bold words marked the spot as Hargulka's Doom. "We found the trolls here. A lot of trolls... I didn't see the fortifications myself, but Sarala and Datzeg were terrified. The count was at least 50 trolls that they could see, and another 50 lizardmen... again, that they could see. They also had prisoners.
 
"Paido was willing to fight to free them... but I could tell he didn't think we'd win. Just that he was willing to fight. The others were not." He shook his head in frustration. "They were right, of course... There were simply too many for us alone, and taking our lone army in there, without the calvary horses they're designed with... could be disastrous.

"Still... It felt wrong to abandon them there."

He pointed toward the southeastern part of the Narlmarshes, right in the disputed area. "We haven't heard of trolls taking our people... so it seems likely they're hitting those coming north.
 
"What I want to do, is send soldiers to patrol the are, claim as much as we can,  and defend it... but I have been advised that would be a mistake. Mivon wouldn't take kindly to such... forward action or armed troops stomping through the area... but while we debate protocol.... people are being eaten.
 
"It's... frustrating.  to say the least." He sat into his large chair and just let his eyes drift over the whole table before resting on Wynnsaren.

"I know what would be right to do... but I can't antagonize a stronger nation...  Not while I'm still facing the trolls and I'm told we can't 'afford' any more standing armies yet... Sarala tries to convince me that these people are not our subjects...and not my responsibility... but that's not how it feels. I don't care what flag they fly, nobody deserves to be fed to trolls. Besides... even if they aren't our citizens yet.... they were on their way here? At what point are they my responsibility?
 
"Mivon doesn't seem to have any interest in these travellers. Odds are they resent us for luring away their own people, as much as settling the land... If they won't help us fight the trolls... or protect their people, they may well turn this into propaganda against us.... or wait till we're weakened by war and try strong arming us somehow..."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Suddenly queasy, the aasimar turned and leaned her back against the edge of the table for support. "People are being caged...and eaten?!" Wynn shut her eyes tight in an attempt to block the horrific thought. What would it be like to be stolen and shut in a cage, having to wait in terror until one by one, your cellmates and finally you are plucked out of the prison and thrown piece by piece into a ghoulish stew!?

Now she understood.

Wynnsaren chewed on her lower lip in agitation as she watched the weary king sitting there in his chair. She desperately wanted to ask him to send her in . . . To be allowed to accompany a small force to go to this hideout, distract the trolls and free those prisoners . . . better yet, kill them all! Looking at him though, she knew bloody well that if there was to be an attack against Hargulka and his trolls, that King Thaddeus would be at the forefront of that charge.

It wasn't her place. She wasn't a knight or a seasoned warrior with sword or spell (or sap) in hand, that her king would choose her to help engage those monsters, but by the heavens, she couldn't help feeling that if she had a chance . . . if she only had the chance, the stars would fall from the skies over the Narlmarches and the trolls would be too stunned to realize that their doom was upon them as Thaddeus led the assault! As much as she might have wanted it to be otherwise at that moment, Wynn hadn't been hired for her brawn, but for her tongue.

So . . . in that light, she decided to stop fuming and start using it.

"The question isn't whether these poor people have named you their king. The question is a more rhetorical one.... Is Novastasia a nation which allows the caging and eating of people within her borders? I know in my heart that she is not! Whether or not these are your subjects or just people passing through this hopeful land, they are, as you say, people! People with families to go home to and stars of their own to chase . . .

"I see how this tears at you, my king," she sympathized, "but unless there is more information that you have, in your wisdom, held back from me, then I believe there is too little concrete evidence to do too much speculating into Mivon's feelings on this matter. It could well be that they simply don't know what is happening to their people."

She paused a moment in consideration before continuing, but it was a hollow pause. Wynnsaren was chomping at the bit and trying to seem much less inflamed by this new information than she actually was.

"Let's take no more time than necessary to debate protocol then... I could leave tonight. One of your guards is originally from the Riverlands . . . Rinaldo, isn't it? He could accompany me and fill me in on the details of laws and customs of the area. Kazimir is still in town as well," she thought aloud.

"I can go to the mayor of Mivon and make our official introductions. I can tell him of the King that you are and your intentions for Novastasia, and I can explain to him the need for those southern patrols and that they will not threaten his own borders. As soon as I make him understand, I can send you my raven and then you can quickly act on those plans that you and your advisers are making.

"I could stay in Mivon as long as necessary to ensure agreement between you and he, but you must be free to do what is necessary to put down this troll threat and save lives.

"What would you have of me, Your Highness?" She bowed, keeping her eyes trained on her liege. "Send me to Mivon or send me to the trolls, but by the gods and by your favor, please send me somewhere that I can be useful toward your purpose."

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm

"Hargulka dies regardless of Mivon.' Thaddeus stated simply. "That's not even a question. As soon as I can gain forces strong enough to win this battle, the battle will happen.
 
"My main concern is the travelers coming too and from being captured now....  I'm uncertain of the fates of the ones who are already caught... I hope to save some, but the longer it takes, the less their chances are." His fist clenched in silent fury. The paladin obviously didn't like needing armies to do his fighting. He wanted a foe he could kill himself.
 
"However, Nobody else can be... snatched while the armies grow and train. It just... can't happen.
 
"You know my goals... you know my heart. I would have you go to Mivon. Speak with... whoever it is that needs speaking with. Mayor Selline probably... though with River kingdom politics who can say. Find out his position, inform him of mine. If everyone is in agreement fine. If he wishes to help protect the people or kill trolls... even better.
 
"If there is to be any conflict between us... then we'll cross that when we get to it. But like you said, there is too much assumptions going on here, and it's tying my hands."
 
As an after thought he added, "Oh, also, Sarala asked if she could accompany you on this trip. I told her as the chief diplomat, it would be your call. Whether you think her presence would help or hinder your position..."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:26 pm

"Seeing as Sarala is the one who's provided you with the information, I've no doubt that she will be a huge help to your cause in Mivon as she is in Novastasia as well," Wynn smiled warmly. "I look forward to spending the extra time with her!

"If she's about the castle, I will attempt to speak with her this afternoon then so we can work out the details. I do hope she can pack quickly for I intend to leave as soon as possible!"

The oracle chuckled at the memory of the sylph trying on half a dozen outfits before finding the right one to wear for their journey to Restov to find a priest. Her unintentional delay provided Wynn the chance to catch them just before they left, and tell Matsuro Shi about the vision and being sent to Candlemere Lake. She shut that thought down right there. It had been eight months since she'd had a vision and she didn't want to jinx it. After that last one, she couldn't help but wonder if the next would be better . . . or worse . . . And would something be listening in again?

"How many would you suggest accompany us on this journey as a diplomatic delegation?"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 pm

"200 armed soldiers on horseback." Thad stated his face deadpan.
 
"However... since that could be taken poorly, I would recommend at least... 4? maybe 5 armed guards. Less for the diplomacy, then the safe travel of course."
 
His face cracked the closest thing to a grin that he'd not worn in days. "In all seriousness, my friend.  I want you all to be careful out there... Sarala knows how far we've explored... and the kinds of things we've found down there.
 
"Some can be more dangerous than a troll."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 pm

He may have meant it as a joke, but there was a very large amount of truth to it, she knew.  Suddenly, the aasimar was concerned more about the king's state of mind if his sister was put in this unknown situation that could be potentially very dangerous. 

Wynn hadn't seen much of Sarala in the last months.  Not because she wished it so, but because they'd simply been missing each other.  She had little knowledge of what the sylph had been up to lately and this would be an excellent time to strengthen those bonds and get to know her better.  However . . .if this would prove yet another stressful event for the king . . .

"You've put the choice in my hands, and if my taking Sarala from Akiros is going to cause you any further distress, King Thaddeus, then I'll not do it unless you order me to do so," Wynn admitted flatly. "She is as invaluable to you here as she would be to me down in Mivon."

She turned around from her position and took a closer look at the maps of the southern Stolen Lands.

"Sending me with...Kaz, Rinaldo, Glas, and perhaps one other, would free up resources for you and ease your mind as to your sister. We could take a river boat south and reach Mivon in a shorter time than we could on horseback, and potentially avoid unnecessary danger during travel."

She turned back around to face the seated monarch.

"I know what Sarala is to you, as I understand what a sibling would be to me if I had one."

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 pm

"My concern is for you both... and anyone else traveling these dangerous paths. Truth is Sarala comes and goes quite a bit, roaming our territory much as you do. She has a good sense of what people are really thinking despite what they say.
 
"And she wants to go. If you don't believe she'll impede your diplomatic style, I think she could be of use to you. If not... I completely understand."
 
"Sooooo... I guess, I'll order you to take her if you don't think she'll start a war." He grinned a bit more openly there.


Last edited by Elric on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 pm

"Then I have been so ordered," Wynn curtsied and grinned happily in reply. "I have no worries about her impeding diplomatic relations and I could definitely use her insight," she nodded.

"Besides, she and I have so much to talk about!" The aasimar giggled before finishing with wink. "Her company will be cherished I assure you!

"Oh!" Wynn's tired eyes fell upon the small bundle she'd bought with her, and she glided over to the side table to retrieve it and then set it on the end arm of the large chair in which Thaddeus sat.

"I brought this for you. Mrs. Gorvielovich nearly assaulted me in the market this morning, insisting that I take a basketful of her crop, and after receiving your summons, I picked out the best of the lot. I hope you enjoy them. I've already sampled them to ensure their safety for consumption," she chuckled.

"Is there any other way in which I might aid you, before I make preparations for our departure, my King?"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Thaddeus smiled warmly as he thought of Sarala and Wynn having more long talks. It would be good for the sylph to have friends as long lived as her. People who would still be around after he was dust.  


Unless they were gossiping about him he suddenly thought with alarm. That would be awkward... and inevitable.
 
Reaching down, he opened the bundle. "Strawberries! he said with delight as he popped a juicy one in his mouth. Seeing a small note in there, he quickly read It is good to take time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Thaddeus couldn't argue with that.
 
"From you or Mrs. Gorvielovich?" he asked showing the note.. "Either way, you shouldn't leave for Mivon till morning... so you could stay awhile. Tell me about the Gorvielovichs and anything else on your mind...
 
"I'd hate for you to think I only send for you, to send you away." He chuckled a little and offered a strawberry.
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 pm

"Part of the job description," Wynn laughed, a little surprised at the invitation but pleased none the less. "It's good to know that you've not grown allergic to my company over the last few months we've been so occupied.  I know I've been neglecting my duties as linguistic tutor."

With a grin on her face, she left her place beside the map-filled table and moved over to Thaddeus. "Though you hardly seem to need instruction any longer," she said in a near whisper, a single eyebrow raised as if she was on to his little game.

Wynn plucked the offered strawberry from the king's outstretched hand and offered thanks in the form of a bow and a smile

"The note was from me." She turned and sat in the adjacent chair a few feet away. Leaning back on the comfortable cushion, the aasimar folded her legs and closed her eyes as she took a bite of the fruit. "I don't believe Mrs. Gorvielovich speaks or writes Celestial, though in fairness I've never asked."

Wynn rolled her head to the side and opened her silver eyes to address the monarch who had become a friend over the past year.

"But you've been practicing in my absence I see," she accused playfully. "I'm impressed with how well you've picked up the reading and writing of the language, but especially the pronunciation. Celestial fluency takes a dexterous tongue . . . and you've shown amazing aptitude," Wynn teased him as she took another bite of the strawberry.

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 pm

"I have a good teacher," he said with a grin. "Though in truth... I MAY have been playing with it a bit more then I had intended. It really is a fascinating language."
 
 The swirls and twists of the written language made his eyes spin a little, but the verbal version was like music. While he couldn't deny he was improving, it still felt harsh on his own ears.
 
"I could still use a few pointers..." he said with a grin. "I'm going to need to learn a lot of different languages aren't I?"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 pm

"That's entirely up to you, my King. Not every ruler is a polylinguist, and while there are certainly benefits to it, I would humbly ask that you remember, you don't need to do everything," she emphasized her point, gesturing with a half eaten strawberry. "Novastasia is drawing all sorts from many different lands, many different cultures and languages. You have assets at your disposal that it would behoove you to use. If you find yourself needing to speak with an emissary whose language is not known to you, we will find you a trustworthy translator or use magical aids, whichever you prefer.

"All that said," Wynn smiled, "I'd be disappointed if we couldn't continue our little chats from time to time, and teaching you the few languages I know provides me with an excellent excuse. So. . . What would you like to learn next," she paused, laughing out loud, "Gnomish, Tien, or a smattering of sign language?"

The lighthearted moment felt good after the conversation she'd just had about the troubles brewing to the north and the southwest. Already her mind was swirling with details. Who to bring, how to travel, what to say when they arrived . . . And she had yet to speak with Sarala about the matter! There was a lot to do.

With afternoon quickly slipping into early evening, the Ambassador bid her king a good night and set about making arrangements for an early morning departure.

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Restless Natives

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum