Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» Emerald Spire Session Notes
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 pm by Magyc

» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 pm by Magyc

» The "Bored at work" thread
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus


A Matter of Trust

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:04 pm

"And I hate the idea of keeping you against your will..." He shook his head sadly. He didn't relish the idea of his castle being a cage. If it had been someone who did not hold such a place of power and authority... he may have had a different answer. But with the deluge of new information she'd given him today? He needed time to process...

Time... that was always a question wasn't it...

"Wynn..." Thad asked thoughtfully. "You spoke again about your mission here and the unseen threat. It's been six months since we've seen anything... like that. The 'triangle' ritual was completed... we killed what came through, and since then... nothing. Even the bug... things that we fought in the keep were dead in the mine...

"How certain are you that we 'haven't' defeated the mysterious evil? Will you 'know' when your mission is over?

"I'd hate for you to consistently worry about something like that all the time... It's hard to enjoy the moment when you dwell on the future."


avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:51 pm

"I do not worry,"  the oracle corrected simply, before taking a sip of tea.  "Worry implies the chance that something bad might happen.  I am here to tell you, not that it might happen, but that it will.  When is the only uncertainty.  Worry is pointless.  My purpose here is to help prepare and to assist in whatever capacity I am able until I fall or the matter reaches completion.  I rather prefer the latter path if given the choice," she smirked.  

Wynnsaren stared over the akata and into the crackling flames, recalling the visions she'd had.  The darkness.  The screams.  The deep growl.  Something awakened from that meteor. . .something they had not yet seen.  Something unknowable.  Unfathomable.  Something that could drive the whole world to madness.

"As for the mysterious evil. . .   Its shadow has not yet passed over us, but it drifts ever nearer.  I do not know how to properly explain, my king, but you will know when it is revealed.  

"We will all know."

Her body shuddered suddenly, violently, as an ominous verse wormed its way into her mind.


That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.



The abrupt movement startled Glas from his snack.  Rising up onto his blue haunches, he turned to rest his head on her lap, brushing the line of her face and body with his tentacles as if reassuring them both that all was well.  Wynn sank deeply into her seat, trembling as she pondered this new and foreign knowledge.  

"Perhaps we should consider switching to a lighter subject," the oracle smiled in embarrassment.  "The Leap Day Ball is coming up and I had hoped that you might consider sparing a dance for me."


Last edited by Wynnsaren on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Thaddeus was on the edge of his seat as soon as she spasmed. It was over before he could do anything and seemed to pass quietly. However the white knuckles on the teacup proved that something had just happened. Glas sensed it too and the space lion did his best to comfort her after the strange attack, the paladin could do no less.

Leaning forward on the chair, concerned steely eyes locked on her and he brushed off the attempted change of subject.

"Wynn... Are you all right? What just happened."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Wynnsaren grimaced and twisted her hands into Glas' mane of tentacles affectionately.  

"A knowing," she finally replied.  "At least that is what I have taken to calling them.  

"On occasion the gods see fit to 'implant' information into my mind.  Not a vision.  Not a prophecy necessarily.  Usually just a sense of something.  This was more. . .concrete than most.  I apologize if it alarmed you."

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:03 am

"Concern, Wynn.... More concern than alarm" He corrected as he leaned back again. He tilted his head a little bit as he conceded "Maybe a healthy bit of alarm too...

"Does this happen often? What were you... told? Known?? I admit I'm not sure the terminology to use..."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 pm

"Not often. Just occasionally." She took another swallow of her tea, glad that she hadn't spilled it, thus saving at least a shred of dignity in the presence of the king.

"I usually find it beneficial to process the knowledge for awhile before sharing it, unless it is of immediate urgency of course, but. . .since you are here. . ."

Wynn's eyes closed briefly, her brows drawing together in thought before repeating the sinister verse. Her voice seeming oddly resonant as she spoke the words.


"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
"


Her eyes fluttered open and met those of the paladin-king.

"I was considering the meteor," she explained. "My vision of the thing that emerged from it. The looming shadow. It seems. . .possible, that this verse is a clue, however vague, to its identity."

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:33 pm

"Death may die?" Thaddeus' eyes narrowed as he considered the implications. "The destruction of all... sounds like Rovagug.

"Somehow, I suspect it refers to something more... sinister though. Spawns of Rovagug are more brutish then the things we've been seeing. Less striking from the shadow and ominous verses... more smash a building and eat everyone they find.

"Personally, I like 'ominous' less..."

He shook his head to banish the dark thoughts. While he had taken an oath to Destroy the spawns of the Rough Beast... It wasn't a violation to hope none reared their head in his lifetime. There was more then enough evil in the world... and apparently not just thisworld...

He grinned at his companion as they both seemed ready to move onto happier topics. When she knew more, she'd tell him. Of that he had no doubts.

"As for the Leap Day Ball... I hope it's not just one dance. I really am getting better! I think we can manage at least a few without serious injury," he could help but chuckle at his renouned lack of grace. "Besides, I do have some healing should it come to that!"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Wynnsaren loosed a burst of melodic laughter. The last time she and the king had the opportunity to dance together at a function, she had to resort to standing on the tops of his feet to avoid having them pulverized. It worked in a pinch, but since then, Wynn had carved out appointments to work with him on a few of the traditional dances, for stepping on her toes was one thing, but it wouldn't do to have the King of Novastasia smashing the feet of courtable young ladies! He was quick to learn, plus it was a good deal of fun!

"I am no longer concerned with bodily injury, Your Majesty," she chuckled, setting her empty teacup down on the tray, "and I think, given the current conventions of society, that we could safely stretch our number of dances to two without causing any tongues to wag. I hardly wish to be the source of any rumors against your impeccable reputation!"

The aasimar smiled and bent down to kiss Glas on the top of his large head that still rested in her lap, giving the akata leave to return to his position in front of the fire and finish crunching his bone to shards.

She propped her elbow on the cushioned arm of the chair and rested her chin in her hand, a mischievous grin playing at the corners of her mouth as she addressed her friend. "Besides, you know Zaistrun will be expecting you to mingle at this event, and if you do not, I fear repercussions in the form of well-meaning plots could be hatched. . ."

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:21 pm

"Bah..." Thad scoffed at the idea, though a few worry lines appeared on his brow. "What's the point in being king, if I can't dance with who I want.

Truth was, the thought had crossed his mind before. When she was in the city, he spent more time with Wynnsarren then he did most any others in his court and enjoyed every minute. Sarala had teased him about what a fine match they were... and he didn't disagree.

Though the fact remains, despite being a good friend, she was also his diplomat. An employee of the throne. The idea of vicious rumors undermining her position or ability didn't sit well with him at all.

Being a king had presented him with issues he had never dreamed of.

"I'm sure we may be able to stretch it to three or four... Just maybe not in a row," he said with a grin. "I'm sure you have some wonderfully exotic dances left to show me. What else can I expect? I haven't stayed up to date on the preparations."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:37 pm

If Wynn had been drinking her tea at the time, she would've choked upon it at the mention of showing him 'exotic dances'. She half-knew many dances from the different regions she'd visited, true, but only two had she actually been trained in, and those particular two would've definitely ignited a firestorm of scandalous gossip in this culture! From the lips of anyone else, such a comment could have been considered suggestive, but a searching look at her friend revealed it to be clearly innocent.

She cleared her throat awkwardly and busied herself with smoothing out the fabric of her dress as she responded to his query.

"Well . . . As the ballroom cannot possibly accommodate all of Akiros, we sent out messages that we will be taking the first two-hundred responses. Those have been received and the formal invites have been sent out, but there are also various other venues prepared around the city to host 'satellite' celebrations for those who were not able to be among the first responders, or whose idea of a party does not involve swirling about a dance floor," she smiled. "I hope to make the rounds myself to ensure that all is going well and merriment is being made. It is a tough job," she issued an exaggerated and sarcastic sigh, "but I assure you I will try and manage.

"Philippe Lagruex has been placed in charge of putting an instrumental quartet together for part of the entertainment at the castle, and there are some illusionists that have quite an excellent, and might I say, surprising performance of their own! I have borne witness of it myself and am looking forward to the reaction of the crowd. Two of the illusionists will also be helping to create some of the atmosphere in the hall.

"I have assembled a group who will be overseeing decorations and Paido has taken charge of security at the event, which will be tight as you can imagine, since the. . . attempt upon Kesten's life, but such is to be expected and they will ensure no incidents ruin the enjoyment of all.

"As far as the fare, the royal cook and I have been collaborating on a menu, which should be ready for you to sample within a day or two. I hope you will find it to your liking." Wynnsaren grinned. "We have limited the number of eel dishes and there will not be a moon radish to be found!"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 am

Thad laughed heartily at that. While eel was a popular dish around these parts... Thad never had cared for the taste of the rubbery fish... thing. Useful, popular, and frankly bringing in money from Silverholm so his opinion was mere 'dislike'. Moon Radishes however? The little white vegetables had grown into a distinctive target of the paladins hate. They were entirely too plentiful, and he'd subsisted on them for entirely too long when they'd first arrived in this land. He claimed he was 'burnt out' on the radishes... though strangely enough Zaistrun and the others hadn't suffered that affliction and still claimed to actually 'enjoy' them.

Mind boggling.

"It sounds like you have everything well in hand! I've been hearing the rumblings about the castle, and it sounds like every one's looking forward to it.

"It's good... they could all use a night of dancing and revelry. Frankly I think the only one who isn't looking forward to the festivities... is Paido himself!"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am

Wynnsaren's lips turned down in what could only be described as a pout.

"I know," she sighed. "When I asked if he would save a dance for me at the ball, he had the most horrified look on his face! He claimed that he had too much work to do for security at the function, and I rather got the impression that he would much more enjoy the evening looking for disturbances in the crowd than participating in said revelry. However, I suppose if he is at least enjoying himself in some capacity than I should be grateful for that. . . "

The oracle still got the impression that the halfling didn't trust her, or at least he was waiting for the other shoe to drop where she was concerned. It was not an unfamiliar reaction. After all, there are only so many times that you can come around bringing portents of doom, before people begin to dread your company. It was understandable and that didn't stop her from trying to change his impression, but thus far the Knight Commander remained immutable. When protecting the king, it was no doubt beneficial to have someone who held to suspicions!

"I should allow you to get back to you get back you your memoirs, Your Majesty. It is growing quite late." Wynn smiled warmly and adjusted her seat in preparation to leave. "Do you think you might be up for that little snowshoeing hike tomorrow?"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 am

Thad looked back toward the desk with his many notes scattered about. Most importantly he was shocked at how low the candles had burned down.

"You're right..." he said in wonder. "I'm not sure where the evening went!"

He stood up and placed his teacup back on the tray. A servant would collect it in the morning. The Akata hopped to his feet as movement indicated something was about to happen. Thad gave him a pat on his rubbery head and watched the tentacles wriggle.

Fascinating creature...

"As for... Snowshoeing?" he grinned widely as turned his attention back to Wynn and considered the strange activity. "It's been years... but I think I can still manage. I'm a better stomper then I am a dancer after all."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am

"Now, now. . . There is no reason to sell yourself short," Wynn laughed as pushed her foot back into her slipper and rose from her chair. "You have excellent potential, you just needed someone to show you the steps! If you like I could look into bringing in a professional dance instructor who could do a much more respectable job teaching you, though I must say that I get the impression that you might have had instructors when you were a boy to whom you paid little attention. . ."

The aasimar arched a playfully disapproving eyebrow.

"But that is a story for tomorrow I suppose. No doubt you have a tale to tell about young Thaddeus and Sarala Medvyed traipsing about Stoneclimb, and I would love to hear it provided I can keep my face out of the drifts with the snowshoes on!" She did not sound hopeful.

Wynnsaren dropped into a deep curtsy. "I bid you a good evening, Your Grace, and I thank you for the time you have spared me for important matters. . .and those not so important," she smiled.

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:36 pm

"No such thing," Thaddeus said with grin as he walked her toward the library door. "Sleep well, when you get to it." As he watched the glowing aasimar glide down the hall with the Akata bounding playfully behind, he suspected that it would still be many hours before she let the song of the stars go unlistened to.

He chuckled as he sat back at his desk and looked over his notes. Wynnsarren had nailed it almost eerily. Dance lessons were an integral part of the Medvyed childhood... and he had more then once skipped class. Much to his own regret when mother found out of course...

What lessons he hadn't skipped... he had long since dismissed as unimportant in his new 'calling'. The old lessons had dried up and blown away. Recently though... with the various excuses that had found him on the dance floor, bit by bit they were coming back. Despite his jokes about missing talent, he was showing improvement. He wouldn't win any serious contests... but the danger involved with dancing with the king should soon be a distant memory.

With that thought, he stacked his papers orderly for the next day, and blew out what remained of the candles. The stars didn't sing to him... and it sounded like tomorrow had quite the exertions in store. It was time for sleep.


avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:50 pm

23rd Calistril, 4712


Dearest Rasven,

My relationship with the gods has never been one of proper reverence.  I have hated them.  Felt used and betrayed by them.  Often begrudgingly tending to the purposes set before me only for the understanding that good will be done through me.  That lives will be freed and fates set aright.  Not my fate though. . .  Not my freedom.  In my mortality and ignorance I have flailed against their authority like a petulant child.  When I came to understand that I could not avoid them, I simply stopped living any semblance of a life of my own, and for two decades, like a fool, I lived in a prison of my own creation.  I have grown since those days in my not-so-distant past, but still I feared happiness and pleasure for the simple thought that the gods will see fit to rip it all from my grasp.

In you, Rasven Winter, I have found a joy I have never known. . .never expected, and the very thought of you grips my soul with a warmth undeniable even from such distance as we find between ourselves.  You are my Cynosure.  That steady, immutable song that helps me find my way in the darkness and comforts me until dawn, and I find myself in a place of vulnerability the depths of which I did not believe possible.  I am terrified and exhilarated.  

Through all of this I have learned once more how to pray.  A discipline I had long since left by the wayside, for I had thought myself a mere instrument of the divine.  A tool that they would use as they saw fit, no matter my own will or desires.  Then they left me a trail of breadcrumbs to follow. . .   A trail they must have known only I in my stubborn, foolhardy inquisitiveness would deign to pursue and see through trial and tribulation to the end.

To you. . .

Now I have reason to pray and to dance and to laugh, for in you I have found true freedom!  A paradigm shift.  I serve the gods now because I desire to do so, not simply because I have been conscripted into their service, and it is for that service that I remain in Novastasia to see my purpose here to its conclusion in spite of the longing I feel to be near you.  And I do, Rasven.  Long for you.

I have spoken to my king regarding a departure to visit Silverhall once again, but due to my title as Ambassador, he has, in his wisdom, seen fit to keep me from making such a journey in fear of ruffling any political feathers on either side of the war and thus bringing Novastasia into unwanted conflict.  A conflict she cannot afford at this time as you and I have discussed.

Your message to King Thaddeus has been delivered, and though I believe he has seen the logical argument against any Silverhall threat, his concern for the outcome of the war and what that might mean for our young nation lingers.  He does not know Lord Lebeda and does not yet trust you in spite of my words.  I fear that your reputation has darkened some of the most well-intentioned hearts against you, even here.  Never mine though, my prince.  Never that.

I have suggested to the king that he must meet you himself, for that is the only way to dispel such rumor in my opinion, and he wishes to extend to you his personal invitation to visit our city if ever the opportunity should arise.  He would not turn aside any courteous visit from Brevoy, regardless of which side of the line they might fall.  You are at war.  I realize this, and hate every second of struggle it must cause you, and though it is not known how long this conflict might last, please consider the invitation from my king. . .and myself. . .to be a standing one.

Know that I seek other avenues for a visit of my own.  I am nothing if not tenacious and am currently pursing some ideas, but until then, allow this small flock of silver ravens to continuously wing my words to you until I might deliver them in person.

I pray. . .  I pray for you Rasven.  Every morning and evening, with the rise and fall of the sun as certainly as the rise and fall of my breast, I pray for you and your safety, that you might ever find the strength necessary to accomplish the duty set before you.  That you might overcome, as you have always overcome, in all things.  That I might see you again.  For if you did not yet know, you must now understand that I gave you more than just my hand that night, those months ago upon your balcony.  I gave you my heart.  It is through that connection that I am with you always.



In all things.
Through all things.
I am yours,

Wynnsaren

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: A Matter of Trust

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum