Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 pm by Colin Marcus

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» The "Bored at work" thread
Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

» Dulgar Foamblower
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 am by Colin Marcus

Mining the Past

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:44 pm

"There are many industries that one can use in a positive manner, sitting around and sweating at shadows is not one of them. Allow those who are in the know to inform you of the unseen threats, but if you cannot do anything about them, do not fret about them either."

Zaistrun leaned in slightly toward the king. "I will inform you of a secret of management that you have not seemed to grasp. You are able to delegate if you have someone else who is willing and able to do the job. Paido can do all of the taxes, simply tell him that you are putting your trust in him to do so. Then spend your time away from the forms and spend time doing what you believe your gifts won't go to waste doing. No one will begrudge you for not doing paperwork if it is being done excellently by a highly skilled and trustworthy second." After he was done, he stood back up as if he had never mentioned the previous few sentences.

"Perhaps you could also spend some time working on the Cathedral. I hear that it will not be long until they start breaking ground on that goal of yours."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 am

Thaddeus couldn't contain the grin when the cathedral was mentioned. His vision for the region was getting closer. One other grand desire that practicality had pushed to the side, but after two almost two years... it would soon become a reality.

"I should focus some more attention on that," he said with a nod. "However, there is a fine line with delegating. I want to be respected as a ruler here. We already discussed my lack of respect for Lander Labeda for not having any involment... and you mentioned others may feel the same about me for the delegating I've already done."

He shook his head seriously.

"Where's the line? At what point do I delegate too much and simply become a figurehead myself..."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:22 am

Zaistrun leaned over on his left foot, cocking his head slightly at the king.  "No one will respect you just because you fill out paperwork.  I have yet to hear of the exploits of famous rulers and hear how good they were at taxes.  The things they remember about kings are who they marry, what battles they fight, and what buildings they build.  Two out of three isn't bad, you are doing well for only having been at it for two years, but that's not all."

The young sorcerer shifted his weight to his right foot.  "All of the things that I do, or Paido does, or Sarala does, or Zened does, or Traica does, or Wynn does, they all get credited to you.  We do the work, you get the credit.  The only thing you really need concern yourself with is whether or not we do it enough to your satisfaction.  Your values and leadership were what got you into this position, your durability on the battlefront is keeping you there.  In the battlefield, you expect me to cast the spells, Paido to watch your back, and Sarala to sneak around and use her sap.  

"Delegation isn't about doing everything, it's about taking the lead and doing what you know.  Putting me in armor and giving me a sword that's much too big is a terrible idea.  As it would be for Paido, or Sarala, or Dracean."  He paused as he imagined Paido in full plate with a slightly playful look in his eye.  "Your main job in the castle is to make decisions about personnel.  Since you get the responsibility for our successes and failures, it's up to you to make sure that success the order of the day and you pick successful people to do the jobs that you cannot do."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:49 am

"As employment has been rather steady here at the castle... I'd say that leaves a lot of free time." He chuckled lightly to himself. The Magister made decent points, but Thaddeus still believed that there was a line between doing it all himself and sitting around in blissful ignorance of what his delegates were doing. It was a line that wouldn't be found today.

He raised his eyebrows a bit as he considered something else though.

"Speaking of things I have no knowledge on.... How goes the magical training? Can I be expecting some Magical knights coming out of your classes soon? We have a lot of soldiers right now... but not as many people qualified to lead them.

"Paido hasn't found any he thinks should be elevated yet... How about on your end?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:52 am

Zaistrun looked at an indeterminate point behind Thad as he racked his memory. "Piotr and I teach students three times a day, with the advanced classes in the afternoon for dedicated students. I have had my eyes on a few hopefuls since I have begun all the tutoring, Kesten has a couple of them, and a good thing too because they were able to thwart the assassination attempt on his life. I have a few others in mind for teaching purposes, but I would imagine that most leaders of armies would come through the armies." He looked at Thad directly. "Has Sir Tambor mentioned anything to you about any up and comers? He did discover your talent after all."

He resumed his faraway look. "As far as casters leading armies go, Sorcerers and Bards actually would do a decent job from what I've seen. They have the force of personality to bend reality to their whim, they would probably be good for leading an army, but Bards are not attracted to my classes, and Sorcerers are rare enough. There's a decently powerful Kobold sorcerer that I have met, but I doubt he would be good for leading any armies but armies of Kobolds, should the need for that arise."

"An army of magic users would be feasible, but not for at least a year. I will not be able to mass produce magical casters without an Academy, which is scheduled somewhat after the Cathedral is complete. I'm not sure if you would want a standing army of casters, it might get expensive, but the ability to raise one in a time of need would be there about then."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:42 pm

"A whole army of casters..." Thaddeus mulled the idea over to himself with a small smile. "I imagine such an army would be a sight to see... The discipline they'd need... just to avoid getting in each other's way...

"Yes... something like that would be devastating to either side..." He shook his head still smiling. "However, I agree that it wouldn't be an efficient use of time or resources...

"I'd rather see some casters and priests sprinkled through the rest of the armies. Shoring up the weaknesses and making a unified front.

"Sir Tambor has his eye on a few prospects... They're still not tested to his satisfaction. A couple of battles, even against trolls, doesn't meet his standard for promotion... Still, I did see some bravery that stood out. Hopefully it wasn't a one-time thing..."

"But no, even if they aren't put in charge of specific armies... I would like to see a strong and more importantly 'varied' center for the kingdom. An order of knights that extend beyond the more traditional melee fighters."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Thinking about Thad's idea brought ideas out of the sorcerer as well. He stroked his thin goatee. "Anything beyond the normal would require extensive training. I am training and scouting for magical power, which has more use than just the battlefield. If you are looking to add variety to your army, you best bet would be to talk to Traica. She's the one who will be able to keep your army at peak efficiency. Having magic users keep out of their own way is far easier than keeping ordinary foot soldiers out of their way. Clerics are far more capable of working with troops than arcane casters."

"If that is something that interests you, you should fully pursue such a thing and make it possible. As it is, we will have to build more defensive structures to house permanent armies if you want to have specialized armies like that. When they can be built, I will let you know, but there is much that needs to be done prior to that. Do you have any ideas on how we can continue to build our economy? One city is something, but we should have at least five with all of the amenities, and I don't believe that Tatzelford will be able to fit that bill."

"Our research into making the Shrike River passable for trade is going well. Having done some extra measurements of the land, we have determined that two canals may be able to circumvent the trouble areas. But something else is also possible. There is the possibility of building a system of raising and lowering pools of water right next to the waterfalls to allow for transport around them. This will require the foundation of a town on the river, and an outpost at the larger single waterfall downstream. I will keep you abreast of the situation on when we might be able to start, but such a route would not only be excellent for trade, but may even bring crusaders through our kingdom to fight at the World Wound."

"Building another town, or even two to the west of the Narlmarches would be a good idea as well, as we would be out of the reach of the forest and it would be more adequate to defend our borders. I'd prefer another city to the south, but Mivon is claiming much and conquering little. If we grow within our borders here, and increase our population, we should be free from their threats. Besides, if they know what's good for them, they would be getting more trade through our routes, and it is easier to forgive people who are giving you prosperity."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:27 am

"I'd like to send a road down to Mivon." Thaddeus admitted doubtfully. "Frankly though, I think the waterway is the more profitable route there.

"In fact, that's an area I would love to see focused on more intently. Getting our waterfront built up to where we can actually utilize the trade from Mivon or even the lock system... provided that works out.

"Bringing all that money in by boat isn't going to help us if the boats can't get to us..."

He glanced toward the map of the kingdom and more especially the Narlmarches.

"I do like the idea of having a more... solid presence to our western border. We really don't know.... anything about what's over there. Friends? Foes? Could be anything."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:26 pm

"Mivon?" Zaistrun snorted his disgust. "A gaggle of jealous warmongering fools. Threaten war just because you were able to do in two years what they have not been able to do in a hundred? They know now you are a force to be reckoned with. Not to mention, we have a nation of elves that might not take kindly to their continued advances against their brokers of peace. If they were able to keep those swordlords at bay for some time, with our combined forces we should be able to drive them back, not to mention that we are growing in strength every month." He paused for a second and continued. "Of course, any millitary campaign is simply for you to decide if it is worth pursuing. It's probably best that I am not in charge of such things."

The young man walked over and looked at the map with the king. He pointed toward the western swamp. "Perhaps you can send an envoy over there to see what is there. We've been growing blind to what they have going on over there. It would be good to discover what has come to that nest of vipers has built in the swamp. So far they have not made themselves known to us, so it would be to great advantage if they simply died there. You might also wish to make a foray to the far west and see about the mercenaries that went there. They might even be a better group to contact first. Then, there's Pitax over there. It would be enough to keep a diplomat busy one would think."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:32 pm

"I plan to." Thaddeus said nodding. "As soon as I know where they set their cities that is. I have no intention of just sending Wynnsarren to wander the swamps hoping to find civilization.....

"As soon as I know more about them, I have full intentions of sending her to make contact. I had hoped to put Pitax off a bit longer... till I was certain about Mivon, but they may have more information about where the new cities in the Slough are popping up.... "

He eyed the magistar questioningly for a moment.

"Nest of Vipers, Zaistrun? Rather harsh terms for someone who have been no trouble to us... Are you taking Lord Varn's opinions wholeheartedly as your own, or do you know something more substantial about the Oreleves or Iron Wraithes?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:33 pm

This last statement by the king caused one eyebrow to arch on Zaistrun's forehead in a curious fashion. "Are you suggesting, sire, that I do not carry my own opinions?" He let the moment sink in a little before continuing with almost a smirk. "The Oreleves are a family that has a long and sordid history of ambition and treachery. If you had paid attention to your noble education you would be well aware that they neither despise this reputation or seek to quell it. They are vipers, and I did not need a former buffoon like Varn to tell me so."

"The Iron Wraiths are but a mercenary company, you can at least expect them to be honest concerning their contracts. Dealing with them will be multitudes easier, as long as we have money."

"But even though I'm knowledgeable about some of our enemies, you should have much more information on what you are dealing with. I'll see if I can get Piotr to make a report on any players that might be involved here, what is common knowledge and what rumor may say. Then perhaps you will be able to get by until your diplomat and your spies can fill out the holes from there." He tilted his head slightly to the side and asked, "You do have spies, don't you?"
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:35 pm

"Not enough," Thaddeus admitted casually. "Sarala is currently building a network as a pet project... But I think the time is coming when we'll have to bring it into the government and fund it properly... Something else to factor into the tax network."

He eyed the strange sorcerer curiously. There was much bouncing around in that brain of his... and often it confused him greatly. This conversation had started by his desire to know all the players...

"Yes... see what Piotr can come up with. Preferably on the specifics individuals and less on the family history...

"This Oreleve may be similar to your own and Kesten's situation. Off to forge a new reputation out from under the shadow of their family. I'd like to judge him on his own decisions and not just because he comes from a nest of vipers as you say..."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Zaistrun's cheeks bulged as he clenched his teeth. He had had about enough of this. "Do you take me for a fool? Have I not proven myself reliable to you by now? Did you call me in here to insult me? You say you want my opinion on these matters, but you dismiss it as soon as it is given. I would never expect you to misrepresent yourself, but for you to be casually ignorant of the insults you have heaped upon me since I have come in here is also appalling to me."

He pulled his fingers from their clenched position behind his back and they were both white and red from having been pressed together so tight. He began to count on his fingers as the blood rushed back into them. "You asked me what I knew of my family, and then you told me that my recounting of what I knew of them must be somehow wrong. Then we talked of the Surtovans, and you told me I must be wrong there too. We talked about the Lebeda's and you again told me I was wrong. Then you told me you value my insight, which confused me somewhat." With this he pressed his fingers to his forehead for a moment before he continued.

"Then we went on. I gave you a lengthy overture to which you responded by giving a backhanded compliment to the Surtovans, of which you well know that I have no love for. You complained about your unease of idleness, and when I offered advice that has done me much good, you rejected almost all of it out of hand. You complained concerning your leadership and knowing how to manage it, and I answered again out of experience and you rejected that as well. You asked me about magical training and then argued with me about how to best use those that I will have trained."

Nearly out of fingers, he took a short break from his recounting of the current events for several deep breaths as he remained impassive in his face, but he was surely affected with emotion at this point. "Then you told me that the very thing I have spent all of my spare time outside of my regularly scheduled magisterial duties researching over the past five months was something you would like to see more effort in and lastly, you feel my opinion of a group of people well known to be the most depraved knaves is also wrong. A majority of your objections to my opinions seem to have no evidence or to be based on your experience and some seem to be past the very point of reason!"

The sorcerer closed his eyes tightly, pausing for a moment to regain control and then proceeded in his detached aloof manner in which he usually talked. "Is there any opinion that I have shared with you today that you have valued? Please, if there is, explain it to me because I am at a loss. Do you disapprove of me because I declared my love to your sister and you want to drive me away? Is all of this an elaborate joke? Is Sarala laughing at me behind one of these walls? Fine. I concede. You win."

He bowed his head toward the king, clenching his hands again behind his back. "Please allow me to go back to my work, where I can expect to be taken seriously and before I say even more that I might regret."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Thaddeus' eyes narrowed as he took in the young man's tirade. Carefully he took a few deep breaths and considered the angry magister. His words confused the king, his opinions seemed disjointed... and he was seeing offense everywhere. He wondered how many hours of sleep the young man was getting each night. Between the school and the library and his other academic pursuits... He did not seem to be bearing the stress well.

"Zaistrun..." Thaddeus said as diplomatically as he could, though the strain to shout back was intense. It wouldn't do to have the guards burst in after all. "I apologize if you take offense... but none was intended.

"I hope you realize an opinion... even one as valuable as I find yours is still just that. An opinion. New information trickles in every day and each new piece causes me to reexamine the whole puzzle... As such, 'facts' are in short supply I find myself trying to keep an open mind on the big picture.

"Again, I'm sorry if your feelings were injured in some way... Your opinions have given me an insight into the players of this drama I did not have yesterday.

"However... I do feel you are a bit too close to the issue to be as... objective as diplomacy will soon enough require. There may well come a time when we [I]will[I]have to deal with the Surtovas or Oreleves and such... prejudices will not benefit Novastasia.

"You, yourself in this very meeting, have shown me not to judge a man by the villainous family he may have sprung from... Until I know which of the Oreleves has come to our neighborhood and what drives him... I won't base our policy on rumors.

"Nor... with your recent advice, will I go into any meetings with him blindly." He sighed long and felt some of the growing tension relax in his shoulders though there was a certain knot that would be harder to deal with.

"As for the rest... Do you honestly think I brought you here to mock you?! That there is someone behind...." He glanced toward the stone wall of the office and rethought before responding. "Actually, I can't guarantee what my sister is doing right now, only that IF she's there, of course she wasn't invited... But I'd like to think you knew that..."

He eyed Zaistrun suspiciously a bit before elaborating a bit on his outburst.

"Why bring her up now? It's been two years since you've said anything to me about her... and since then, I've entrusted you as Magister of the kingdom and entrusted you with the education of the populace... You can't honestly think I hold any ill will after all that time?!?"

Zaistrun was not known for his emotional outbursts and the situation caused Thad to ask with sincere concern. "Is everything alright with you Zaistrun? You're seen relaxing less then I am, and I complain about the amount of time I've spent in here. Perhaps some down time is in order. Hobbies of your own?

"I'm not the only one who may need to delegate, if things are getting out of hand..."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Zaistrun was silent for a fair amount of time, getting himself together before moving forward. "I apologize for the outburst, I was out of line. You have the right to treat me however you wish. And you have been far more benevolent and trusting of me than in any other place I have been under authority. It just seemed to me that what you were doing was somewhat similar to the way my father used to treat me, and I need to remember that you are not the same. My father has not treated me well, and as such I may be a little sore on some points."

His head bowed slightly again as he spoke quietly, as if he were telling a secret. "Many people, when discussing how House Garess used to be will tell you we were quite well respected. There are several Paladins of Erastil and one of Abadar in my line on my father's side. My own uncle, my father's younger brother was also a paladin, but died before I was born while he was on assignment somewhere to the south. But as of late, my house has fallen into madness and ill repute. Idleness has ruined my father and my eldest brother, while madness has creeped into the middle brother." He straightened his head and put his shoulders into a proud stance. "A generation ago, we were all quite honorable."

"The reason I keep myself busy is because I wish to not be like my family. Also, my business keeps me from thinking about your sister too much. She has grown more precious to me in the last couple of years, but due to some conversations we have had, it seems that she desires us to be business acquaintances for the time being. I am doing my best to honor her request, but if I spend too much time dwelling on it, I become useless. One thing I used to do as a child to relax I cannot do, because I used to make my own jewelry with semi-precious stones. Now when I make jewelry, I just want to give it to her, which would be inappropriate for business fellows."

"I do disagree with you on opinions however. If one has a valuable opinion, it should not be given equal weight with other opinions. You know that Varn has a vested interest in manipulating the alliance of our countries, so his statements may be tailored as such. As for me, our fates are tied so that it would not behoove me to give you false information or lead you to my knowledge as it would be bad for me as well."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:57 pm

"Point taken," Thaddeus conceded. "However I never said I treat all opinion with equal weights. I said that even a valued opinion was still an opinion. Perhaps a well informed opinion... but still, new information could change things.

He sighed hoping to change the subject as he carefully digested Zaistrun's story of his family. A lot of what he said made sense, and fit with what he'd understood of the Garess line. He nodded as he spoke.

"That explains why your opinion of your brothers took me by such surprise. I admit to shirking some of my studies in my younger years, but the base villains you described them as, should have grabbed my attention. Truthfully, before today I'd heard nothing specifically unseemly about your people. What little I'd heard from father denoted respect if not friendship.

"It seems he must have known the prior generation..."

He shook his head as he considered the stoic yet smitten Magister. A complicated man to say the least...and seeming intent on making choices that only complicated his life even more....

"Zaistrun... there is a difference between idleness and working yourself to madness.... A middle ground that I suggest you devote some time to finding...

"If I may ask.... What is it about Sarala that you find yourself so.... obsessed about?!?"

He shook his head in a bewildered state. "I mean... I understand... you felt an attraction when you were younger... but she's never seemed to give you anything but grief. The last two years have only escalated that grief!

"You're a good looking fellow... and I've heard some of the whispers around the castle. You wouldn't have trouble finding someone else.... admittedly at the moment, we're a tad short of Noble blood.

"However... she told me that you're aware of her heritage, and didn't show much interest... So please... Enlighten me...

"She's not born of a noble blood, and tended to shun her noble training as much, if not more, than I did... and everything about you two is like fire and water... So seriously... Why are you allowing her to affect you like this?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:58 pm

From the King's first request, he answered with his dry wit. "If it is your will that I take time away from encouraging the magical strength of our country to dither my youth away in idle speculations as your concerns of certain doom lay untended or unprepared for, I reluctantly accept." The corner of his mouth crinkled a bit as he loosed his joke, but quickly dissipated when he considered the magnitude of the question before him.

Why am I obsessed with Sarala? It was not as if he hadn't thought of it, in fact he had thought of it a great deal. Should he reveal this to the King, Sarala's adopted brother? The question he had posed seemed innocuous enough, as if he really wanted to know. Although after all of their conversation today, Zaistrun could be assured that when he was finished Thad would find some fault in it. Obviously he loved his own adopted sister, to the point of defending her against the darker aspects of his own generation. Perhaps it was time to share.

"Concerning your concern over my fixation on your sister, I suppose you should be interested. Although I did not think that this opinion was something I was being called upon today to answer." He let out a breath as he considered how to begin. "Aside from the cosmetic reasons of her beauty, wit, resourcefulness and that she smells like the first breath of spring, I believe that I can answer your question with another question. Should a person save your life, even without meaning to do so, would you not seek to repay them?"

"I have had very dark days in my life, darker than you have ever seen from me." He began, with a far off look. "When my mother abandoned me, saying I was worthless to her. Only a wizard was useful to her, and I would never be that. I was too dull, and the lessons I had learned in magic had been done the wrong way and there was not enough patience in her to have me relearn them. She left after that, and my life was filled with idleness and despair. At one point I took a dagger to my heart and prepared to end all my pain, my mind raced back through my life. One point stuck out to me, and there was an epiphany."

"Sarala! She was the only one who had ever rejected me out of hand. It was worse than my mother. I never even had a chance at all with her. She had bothered me for quite some time, how that young girl could resist my charms when no one else would. Here again it bothered me but for a different reason. If I could change her mind about me, if I could be accepted by her in some way, I would be able to do anything, and be useful to anyone."

He turned to the king, his eyes alight with inspiration. "I had to become something that could impress her. What would impress her, I had no concept of, but the possibility of excellence doing the that very thing so enraptured my darkened mind that it unlocked something in me. That's when everything about me changed. I tried the Abadaran church, but they would not have me. Upon request my heart was searched, and they found nothing but a layman hidden in me and my path was mine to search out. The Master of the First Vault knows what is hidden in the hearts of men. Though I revere him he knew I was meant for other things."

"The dagger was replaced with a pen, and I pursued numbers and acumen. But business was something that I could accomplish. My studiousness made up for natural talent and I was able to take over my first mine at the age of fifteen. I thought that through business I could establish wealth for my family and for myself so as to be more respectable. Eventually those things were taken from me."

"Loathing to crouch in idleness again, I studied magic again on my own and regained much of my former power. I learned of the expeditions going on to the stolen lands and sought to join up against the behest of my family. But my life did not belong to them. I left all my riches and ties behind to come and I found you and your sister quite by chance, heading south and I inserted myself into your company."

"My fixation was my survival. And to be honest with you, I must say that I have done exactly that. Although much of my life has been misguided, the motivation to live I can attribute to your sister's rejection of me. It may be a silly thing, but it was and is something monumental to me thatI would like to repay. I cannot abide a debt."

"After seeing her again and working with her, there were other movements in me and mere acceptance was not always on my mind. Having been only ever pursued by the fairer sex and not interested in an intimate relationship with anyone previous to what awakened in me from her, I made quite a mess of the whole situation. It is most likely completely irretrievable. Also, I made quite a bad impression on her upon that acquaintance due to my distemper at the time from the falling out with my family. My heart does still hope a small amount though, and I may be able to turn my eye of favor should she marry another, but until then you will not find me interested in any other lady."

"There are some who might call the ideals I hold toward your sister as 'courtly' love, and I have come to understand it to be similar as such. She is not to be under any compulsion to fulfill my desires, but rather the qualities I see in her must be exalted. I have come to realize that friendship is about all that I can hope to receive from her, and that would suit me fine. I only hold two other friends, and any addition to that number would be most welcome indeed, especially from her."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Thaddeus silently absorbed the tale Zaistrun told him. It was a peek into the dark thoughts and past of this man who had been nearly unreadable to him for over two years now. And what a tale it was. He really didn't know how to respond. On the one hand, he did feel it was silly.

Ridiculous even.

For someone who had spent so much time being reject by those he cared about... to fixate so much on someone he barely knew, yet had 'rejected him more others...' How did THAT make any sense. All that hope and faith resting on one persons shoulders... let alone Sarala's... made him feel very uneasy about the Magister's future well being.

On the other hand, he felt Zaistrun's sincerity. The trauma of the way his family treated him had much to do with the man before him today. The good and the bad. Thaddeus found it unlikely that he would ever find the acceptance that he longed for from Sarala... Nor did he truly think her acceptance should be the high benchmark that he seemed to place it.

After all... the rejection at Tharali's wedding... was nothing personal. Thad knew his sister well enough to know that. She was just a young girl who would have fled ANY boy that had approached her that day... And yet the Magister had built a life around that rejection...

The young king felt certain that Zaistrun's troubles were far from over... but wasn't sure if there was anything he could do to help him. Something to keep on the look out for certain.

"Zaistrun," he began carefully, "About this debt you feel...

"I remember well your actions when she was poisoned... and the time you dragged her unconscious body to safety from that shambling mound years ago. Not to mention all the times your presence saved all of our lives. She knows it too.

"You claim she saved your life... Well that is a debt you have repaid in full many times over."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:05 pm

"When I was at my lowest, she gave me an excuse to keep living. That is different than merely saving lives. I have done the same for you and Paido without thought of reward, and you have all done the same for me. It is not the same to save someone else's life and to inspire them to save their own."

"Your adopted sister is complimented by me and by that foolish Surtovan who let her go into being one of the most desirable ladies within hundreds of miles. She is the great treasure and the elusive object of desire for hundreds of excellent men. My undying affection for her is the best compliment I can give her and my only desire is to see her happy and well taken care of, regardless of whether or not it is me who does it. I strive to be the best man I can possibly be for her sake, and as such we are both honored."

"I believe her worthy of setting my affections on her due to strength of character, intelligence, spirit, discernment, resourcefulness and otherworldly beauty. I believe that my pursuit of her cannot be harmful to her in the long run if I uphold myself to the highest standard of self-control and deference. And of all women, she alone is the one to whom I am indebted. So the pursuit is logical, but hardly an easy road when she is so skittish."

"But one could say that my stubbornness is of equal value in the sustaining power of my ardor." He waved his hand as if getting rid of a bad smell. "In any case, the relief of my debt is a matter between me and her, and my affections are far more than just that thing. However irrational the beginning I do have feelings for her, but I am content with the way things are right now. It is entirely better between us now than it was two years ago. It does not cause me near as great of distress as it used to do."

"And with all due respect, I do not believe you have any advice about your vast experience in dealing with the propriety of love and whether or not it is warranted, especially in light of the other information that I do have concerning the subject. It is good to listen to the trusted experts' opinion on the matters they are knowledgeable."

"I know nobles better than you by far. I know magic better than you, and I know management and acumen and trade better than you. I defer to you in matters of morality, diplomacy, war and judgement of the law of which you have considerable expertise. When I want advice concerning love, I ask Wynn or Astarton, the poets and the playwrights, the songwriters and the happy old couples who have loved more than the lot of us together."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Thaddeus' mouth grew taut as he listened to the dismissive sorcerer. The man was right when he said stubbornness was one of his virtues. Or more accurately, it was a flaw that he somehow made the most of.

It had been a very long time since someone had come right out and told him that his opinion was worthless, and it did irk him. However he had long set the standard that people could speak their mind to him... he just hadn't expected that to bite him so soundly.

Bottling up the annoyance he spread his hands in a conceding motion.

"Your right... I don't have the vast experience with women and love that many others do. I admit that readily enough. However, I do know my sister better then nearly anyone alive... so, something to keep in mind when your asking around for advice.

"However, as you say... Your love-life is not my business and I leave you to it... However, there are many things about my family and my kingdom that could become my business.

"If Sara asks me to step in... I will. Lack of sleep and obsession can be dangerous to a job.... Especially yours. If Paido makes a mistake... some bill doesn't get paid. If the Magister makes a mistake... some student could blow up the castle."

He shook his head and a smirk came back. "I don't want a student to blow up my castle because his teacher was distracted..... No, correction. I don't want it to blow up for any reason.

"We all have limitations Zaistrun, even you. Nobody will think less of you if you need a vacation on occasion. I need you at your best."

He felt a familiar tension stinging behind his eyes again. Zaistrun was one of the most frustrating people he knew. He didn't see anything good coming from his pursuit of Sarala. Still, he had enough problems on his plate right now.

"That is all I wished to ask you about... Did you have anything further to bring to my attention?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:17 pm

"When you and your sister disagree, I often take her part not because of my feelings for her, but because I actually agree with her. Regardless of what you believe about her, she and I do think more alike more things than you and I do. That I have seen in our travels together." The corner of his mouth twitched a little as it almost looked like it wanted to smile a little. "Also, apprentices blowing up buildings only really happen in grossly exaggerated barroom tales. They don't have access to the kind of power I have."

"I'll take your vacation idea seriously though. It's possible a change of scenery can bring new perspective on my work. I'll just have you know that even despite our inability to get along, this kingdom seems like a vacation compared with where I matured. I still want to make a trip to Absalom some day. I've heard interesting things."

He did a quick bow at the waist. "If that is all you require from me, I will leave you to contemplate and weigh my opinions now."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:00 pm

"That is all," Thad said with a resigned wave. "You've given me much to think over. Have yourself a good evening."

As the Magister left without further ado, Thad leaned back in his chair massaged his temples.

"Sometimes that man drives me mad..." he muttered to himself. He was more tense now then he'd been when all he was worried about was war spilling across his borders.

Tonight would be a good night for a hot soak and maybe some wine. Thaddeus summoned an attendant to make his needs known and settled back till all was in readiness.
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Mining the Past

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top