Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» The Faith of a Few - The Crimson Throne Journal of Chazon h'Besorah
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:55 pm by The Sub-Creator

» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 am by MrPrettyPretty

» The "Bored at work" thread
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:52 am by Penelope

» Emerald Spire Session Notes
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:24 pm by Magyc

» The "Be Better Than That!" Journal Corrections Thread!
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:33 am by The Sub-Creator

» Letters to Penny
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm by Penelope

» Of Life and Limbs
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:43 pm by Saoirse

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

*Skin Deep*

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

*Skin Deep*

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 pm

3rd of Abadius, 4711

Nuari strode carefully through the trap laden dungeon that had been the manmolds... A horrid place to be sure. One wrong step would steam the flesh from your bones and leave you looking no better the the lumps of wax that seemed to inhabit the place.

The whole world was insane... of that the dwarf was certain. He'd fireballed the moon after all... if that didn't speak of madness he didn't know what did. The only conciliation was that the others seemed as mad as he... Though thinking of the gnomes... that wasn't as much a comfort as he'd first thought...

He dropped the last of the grubs into a pile for the morning trip. This may not be the safest place to rest... but it was secure enough. Still the dwarf wasn't ready for sleep just yet.

Glancing across the way he saw the sorceress writing away in that journal of hers. Probably wasn't a great time, but the eerie silence was starting to wear on his nerves. Shrugging he wandered over to where his friend sat and plopped down beside her.

"Evenin'..." he said casually. "Any o' this place makin' more sense in the writin' then the living?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Morelen started violently at the dwarf's sudden intrusion upon her mental quiescence, spattering blotches of ink all over the page in her journal.  A dark curse hissed through her teeth at her own clumsiness.

Her eyes flashed across to those of the dwarf.  Not the dwarf, she corrected herself, Nuari.  Her friend.  Familiar eyes of pale blue gazed back at her, bordered by heavy white brows, a thick beard and long, snowy hair.  Familiar, but in a different frame.  A much smaller frame!  Before the Heroes of Sandpoint happened upon Khassyr, the huge mountain of a man, Morelen had begun to feel like she was a patchwork princess in the middle of some sick, twisted fairytale, where all of her friends came up to knee height.  First Nuari, then Titus.

Titus still brooded, despairing over his new reality as a goblin, not that she blamed him the priest of course.  Nuari however, seemed. . .changed in more than appearance.  He wasn't nearly as brooding or melancholy as he had been as an elf and while Morelen wished to talk with him about it, but the time never seemed right.  She'd tried to give him time to adjust to this new form and he seemed to have done so with alacrity.  This evening she supposed, amid all the uninhabited wax bodies, seemed as good a time as any.

"I'm sorry, Nuari," she intoned in a brittle voice as delicate ice crystals formed at her lips from the moisture remaining in her body.  "I. . .  must have been terribly entrenched in my writing.

"In answer to your question, not really."   Morelen set her quill down and stoppered the vial of ink, pushing the journal to the side to let the writing dry for a few moments so as not to befoul her work further.  "It seems as if the entire dimension was comprised of separate stories created by this Sonora woman, but for what purpose I have no idea.  Entertainment?"  She shook her head slowly.  "Why her creations all rose up against her, I cannot fully understand either.  They seem to have some free will, and yet are stuck in the same patterns set before them.  What changed?   Honestly I'm not sure we'll ever know."

Morelen folded her legs in front of her, resting her hands on her knees as she turned to regard her fellow sorcerer and companion.

"I will be glad to find Brodert and see the sun again.  The real one," she teased, a smiled splintering across her face like a ominous crack in a frozen pond.

"You have seemed well, in spite of the. . . odd circumstances we find ourselves in.  How have you been adjusting?"
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 pm

The dwarf chuffed at the question. "That's... about as hard to explain as this crazy place," he said with a chuckle.

"Whole thing's weird in my brain...  It feels... different. Yet.... not so different." He held up his gnarled looking stubby fingers and waggled them in front of Morelen.

"These... are me hands. Yet.... they ain't me hands. I don't know how to explain it any better..." He winced as he met her eyes and remembered who he was talking to.

"You understand better then most, don't ye..."

Last edited by Elric on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:44 am

The woman nodded solemnly and reached up to adjust the small ivory comb that held a shock of white hair in place upon her head. That tiny bit of magic kept the world from seeing what she had been reduced to by Doctor Noenn's experiments. Khassyr hadn't seen her so. She hoped he wouldn't have to.

"I know what it is to feel like a stranger in your own body. To look at yourself and not recognize the whole or even the individual parts that you see in the mirror.

"You seem to be progressing quickly though, perhaps because your brain was made for this body. It took me a good deal longer to learn how to move the unfamiliar limbs and for the damaged nerves to repair themselves. I thought I would never get the hang of snapping fingers again. Do you know how hard it is to snap the fingers on someone else's hand?"

She quirked a brow skyward as her own words fell upon her hearing.

"Not snapping in the breaking sense, you understand," Morelen clarified, before snapping her thumb and forefinger together which made a sharp noise that sounded distinctly like bone breaking.

"I find it interesting that you've maintained some of your former colorations, my friend. Hair. Eyes. . ." She looked him over appraisingly. "I have not yet noticed, but do your eyes still turn black when you use magic?"
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 am

"Do they??" his eyes went wide in confusion. "Tellin' the truth, I've no idea..."

He looked down again at his stubby fingers and snapped them a few times with a bit of a smirk. The new body seemed fit for him... He gave his snowy beard a tug and chuckled.

"Frankly, I ain't seen many mirrors since... the incident.... We've been on the move too much. Kinda surprised at just how little time I've been like this."

Now that she mentioned it, he was curious about the eyes thing... Originally it had taken him years to notice the shadows in his eyes. It had started as just a slight shading... but as the spells grew in strength, so did the darkness inside him.

Now? He felt something different. Waving his hand toward the entrance to their camp he whispered the words he'd simply known, and knew inherently that their camp was now guarded by an alarm that warn them if needed. He grinned at his friend with eyes glowing a soft blue.

"Well?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Morelen cocked her head to the side as an eyebrow arched sharply skyward.

"Well now, that is interesting. . ." She leaned in for closer inspection. "Seems there's no longer the blackening, but some kind of blue. . .radiance being emitted when you cast. Do you think the darkness you once felt existed in your soul might have died with your old body?

"Here. . ." The sorceress pulled her pack toward her and dug through it a moment to retrieve a small, silver handled mirror with a narrow crack splitting the surface of the glass. She held it up before him so he could see his reflection, but the glow had already faded.

"Try casting again, Nuari. See for yourself."
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Trembling hands took the mirror as the former elf looked at his new bearded face. Time had moved so fast... He'd seen a mirror back in Sandpoint the day he'd been reborn... but the search for Brodert and the mad dash to the north... and finally their imprisonment in this crazy dimension had been a whirlwind. He barely had time to focus on the dangers around him, let alone the changes that the mirror made so plain.

Shortened fingers stroked his beard cautiously as the unfamiliar reflection did the same.

"Strange..." he whispered almost to himself. After a few moments he looked up at Morelen a tad awkwardly.

"Right... the magic... Umm..." He wiggled his fingers again and cast the spell again to a startled gasp. She was right... a bright bluish glow replaced the shadow that he'd known for so long.

"It feels... different. I noticed it a couple days ago.... but the dirty... wrongness that I used to feel with my magic. It's different. Almost... soothing.

"I think... I think you may be right...If the darkness was in my blood... and most of that was spilled on the giants clubs....

"At least... so I was told." Even despite his curious enjoyment at the possibilities... that thought still caused him to shiver to the bone.
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Morelen studied him a long moment before bringing her hand up to her chin and tapping her index finger gently against her frosted lips.

"Yes, yes, it was quite horrible," she nodded somewhat dismissively as she was lost in her own musings. "Not the worst we've seen though. . . I think Katrine Vinder on the log splitter had you beat by a mile.

"Do you think it odd that you still have access to innate magic?" The sorceress voiced her thoughts in an abrupt shift in topic. "You believed that your abilities were granted you by your father through his demon or devil blood, correct? As you said, that blood. . . your whole body is new, so should it not follow that you would lose your connection to that magic?"
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 am

Nuari nodded at Morelen as he wracked his brain at the possibilities. "It is strange... very strange...

"Everythin' I know says the powers were biological... innate from the bloodline. And they ain't the same as they were... Mostly the same... but a few differences. I lost some of the fire... and gained... 'other' things... and that ain't even the weirdest part.."

He looked at her and tilted his head a bit as he studied her a moment.

"Morelen..." he asked carefully. "How are yer own memories coming? Are ye still blank of your time before this body? Because... mine are kind of... off."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:33 pm

If she had been physically able to blanch at the question, she would have. Nuari was hardly at fault in the asking. After the giant attack on Sandpoint, Morelen's occasional flashes of remembrance had taken a distinctly darker turn. A disturbing turn. Memories surfaced that confused her, going completely at odds with what she believed and everything that Doctor Noenn had told her in those early days of her rebirth. She began to seriously doubt that she'd been employed as the doctor's scribe. . .

"There have been. . . some developments," the sorceress hedged, "though I'm not ready to discuss these fragments of a past quite yet, until such a time as I can make more sense of them. Everything is disjointed. Shards that don't quite match up."

Morelen accepted the small mirror back into her possession, casting a quick glance at the stranger's reflection peering back at her before stuffing the vanity item away into her pack. She returned her hands to her folded knees and continued to address her friend.

"I believe that though my body is failing, my brain is still healing itself from the trauma of the transfer. I may never know everything, but I'm convinced that if I live, I will certainly continue to learn more about who I was and why this happened to me.

"But you say you are having some memory issues as well?" She asked with cool and conspicuous curiosity. "Hmmm. . . What is it that you mean by. . .off?"
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:07 am

Nuari raised one fuzzy white eyebrow as she dodged what he thought was a fairly straight forward question. "When I was younger... I used to have a terrible time with puzzles Morelen... I often needed help to sort the pieces out to see the bigger picture.

"Just so ya know..." he offered with a wink. His curiosity was peaked... but he could tell this may be a time for patience.

"And that's kinda what I'm talking about," he said with a frustrated sigh. "I'm still remembering my Atartoro, Kadrethi Dwinrae. I remember my childhood in the Mierani forest... the way the leaves smelled before they fell in the autumn... the lessons Atartoro taught me of woodcraft... and the little distractions that kept me from focusing on them the way I should have...

"It's all still there... but at the same time... it's not!"

He grimaced as the words kept pouring forth. Frankly he began to realize this was the most he'd spoken about the change since it had happened....

"I used to know how to fire a bow... and use a sword. I.... I REMEMBER Atartoro teaching me these things... but when I grabbed my sword... off.. y'know... my body, I couldn't even hold it right."

He glared at the stubby fingers he had now, "And it ain't to do with these either..." he said wiggling them at her. "It's something else..."

He nodded over to his shiny new battleaxe with his gear. "I swear, I never even saw one of them before... but when we traded in the sword... I knew I could use it. Use it just as well as I ever used a sword... and Nobody ever taught me nuthing there...

"And yet... I sorta feel they did. It's like I have two sets of memories... They overlap and mix... but I could pick out a secret door in the stone like nobody's business... It's new, and a bit... Well, I was gonna say scary. Yet... it ain't... not really.

"Just feels a weird kinda normal?!? If that makes any sense...."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:30 am

Morelen emitted chuckle, amused by her friend's newly found brogue accent which apparently thickened when he was a bit distressed.

"We find ourselves in similar and yet completely different situations, and I am glad of the vital, hardy body you find yourself in. Very glad," she cracked a smile.

"Perhaps the change has something to do with muscle memory as well as your new brain. Interesting that using an axe would come. . .pre-programmed for a dwarven body, but it goes to prove that not all of our skills are learned. Some things must be inherent to certain races." Her thoughts shifted quickly to Titus, wondering with some concern if he would start trying to light things afire, or throw himself into pickle barrels. She wasn't sure whether she should laugh or scream at the images that conjured up!

From across the room, Morelen heard a familiar croaking sound and she looked up to see Nevermore perched on the shoulder of one of those macabre wax figures, some kind of mouse-faced man whose eye the raven found particular interest in gouging out.

"Bread?" She called loudly enough for the bird to hear. "Bread tastes better than wax."

Nevermore cocked his head to the side to regard her and ruffled his feathers apparently annoyed at his current unappetizing meal.

Morelen rifled through her pack again, pulling out a bit of dried meat and crusts of bread for him. As painful as it was, she rarely ate anymore, unless necessary to keep up appearances, so her rations invariably went to the raven. She laid out the small buffet beside her and the bird flew over without hesitation and fell upon the meal ravenously but not before croaking out a rough, "Thank you, mistress."

The sorceress quirked up her scarred lip as she scratched the ruff of feathers at the base of his neck. "He thought it was a corpse," she offered in explanation to Nuari, as if that made the bird's habit of eye gouging any more acceptable. "I can't say he was completely wrong either, strange as this place is." In truth, there was a certain disturbing familiarity about the place. Inert bodies gazing blankly. It was not unknown to her to live in a place inhabited by inert bodies, but beyond that, she wondered if the Golemworks in Magnimar had been anything like this. Standing statues everywhere. . .

"I wonder," she began, turning her head and thoughts back to Nuari, "are you able to speak Dwarven now? I don't recall that it was a language you were familiar with before your. . .adjustment."
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:58 pm

"Hmmmm.... a bit... nothing I'd call fluent, but I get the feelin' it wouldn't take much to solidify it."

His mouth twisted a bit as he thought things through. "To my knowledge... this spell doesnt'... take over someone elses life. Wasn't so much born or nuthin... but sometimes that's what it feels like.

"Like I'm a dwarf... and always have been a dwarf. Love a good ale and my beard and not entirely sure why..."

His gaze flickered over toward the bird pecking away at the scraps the sorceress laid out. "You two seem to be getting along better... You used to scream at that thing and now yer' feeding it like a pet..." He blinked as he looked at the creature again.

".... and did you teach it to call you mistress?!?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 pm

"Hardly. . ." The sorceress grimaced. "He picked that up all on his own, though hells if I know where. He started saying a few words here and there about two months ago and for a while I thought that this rot had taken up in my brain, but I'm glad to see you can hear him too. I suppose it's possible he could be learning the words. Ravens, I am told, are quite intelligent."

Nevermore ticked his head to the side and looked up at her, offering an obnoxious cackle of agreement before gulping down a small piece of dried meat.

"But he's not a pet," Morelen narrowed her eyes at the bird before pointedly ignoring him as if to convince herself of the spoken truth. "I've simply resigned myself to his presence and as long as he keeps his eye pecking to corpses and wax figures, then we don't have a problem here."

The look in her sharp, frigid blue eyes, melted slightly. "I suppose he has been with me since the beginning of my awakening. Outside the window of that cellar. . . On the skiff to Sandpoint. . . Sometimes I wonder if he's as lost as I feel, that maybe we're connected in that way and that's why he's taken to me.

"The same way you and I are. . .or perhaps were," she turned her liquid gaze to her recently-dwarven friend. "We had so much in common, Nuari. A tormented past. Both going through frightening changes that threatened to corrupt us. You've helped me fight against such corruption in the past months, my friend and don't get me wrong, I am very pleased that you have found a way to rid yourself of that taint!" She reached over and patted his hand with hers, which was covered with a long, black silk glove. "I just. . . You seem so different now. I admit that I don't really know what to make of it and I don't know how -- or if -- that has changed things between us."
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:43 pm

The corner of his mouth twisted up in to a bit of a smirk. "Waking up in a body that ain't me own, with memories twisted all about... Frankly, I've been thinkin' we've more in common now then ever before!"

He glanced over at the bird again and tried to hide the grin. For all her professed hatred of the thing... He'd seen her kill off bigger pests than that without batting an eye. If she really wanted it gone... it'd be as dead as the stuffed one on her staff.

Looking back at his friend the mirth faded from his eyes. "What with my recent physical expiration and the mad hunt for Quink... I'm a bit sorry to say I haven't asked how 'you' are. My fault and all... I'm a hopin' that not that much has changed... " He nodded toward the comb in her hair as he added. "The memories are a bit fuzzy... but I seem to remember your hat slipping in front of everyone back durin' the fight at Sandpoint."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 am

Morelen scoffed, waving off the idea of any offense. "Please, Nuari. I know that I am occasionally preoccupied with my. . condition, but I'm not so self absorbed that I would think you'd need to ask me about my feelings. You died, my friend! Not only that, but came back in a completely foreign body! These adjustments take time. I understand that.

"As to the others' reactions to my striking beauty," she offered a sarcastic smirk, "it went rather well considering. Before we finished though, I ended up exposing myself to Titus. . ."

The sorceress reached for her wineskin and took a swallow.

"It was awkward. He wanted to see that symbol on my chest and it resides in a place rather difficult to display properly. Honestly I don't know why it should be awkward for me," she considered, cracking a red-toothed smile. "I mean, they're not really my breasts anyway. Funny how a silly thing like propriety sticks in one's brain, while previous life experience drifts away like smoke."
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Re: *Skin Deep*

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Nuari chuckled a little at the unusual dilemma. "I don't know... possession being what it is and all... It's like saying this ain't my beard... But I'll defend it with the axe if have to!

"It may not be 'Yer' body.... but it's the only one ye got now... so it makes sense to be a bit attached. At least for now..."

He raised an eyebrow as he asked the next question. "I noticed... that the scars were gettin' worse then I remembered... That hat of yours has been hidin' a lot. While I'm always curious about the feelins'... I actually was more curious how yer physically doing..."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 pm

"Ah, I see." Morelen grimaced and peeked over her shoulder to ensure the others, specifically Khassyr was preoccupied on the opposite side of the room. Considering her state, she wouldn't blame the man for trying to kill her on sight. Fortunately however, he was tending to his own business before settling down for the night, so the sorceress felt secure enough for the time being.

"Well," she hesitated, turning her attention to the dwarf beside her, before continuing in a low voice. "The degeneration of this body seems to be rapidly progressing now. Food does not agree with me in any form other than blood and occasionally raw meat, but I find chewing to be increasingly difficult due to the lack of saliva production.

"This is repulsive I know. . ."

Morelen offered the words in way of apology before removing the small comb from her hair, where it changed back to its true hat form, and so too was she revealed for what she was. A breathing corpse. Half-dead and half-alive.

Soft, darkly stained lips had shriveled and shrunk back to show too many teeth, visually elongated by the similarly shrinking gums. When she removed a glove, he could see that the skin of her fingers was pulling back to make her nails seem like talons due to their length. Worse still were the patches of scalp and bone, where chunks of stringy, white hair had simply sloughed off the rotting flesh of her head.

Recently received wounds no longer seemed to heal quite properly, for her skin retained many of the ravages of the past weeks. Gaping gashes from bear claws crisscrossed the side of her face and neck, healed but only partially closed like horrific white ravines gouged across the surface of her skin. A patch of polished bone was visible on her jaw where the skin had been scoured away by the desert storm just the previous day.

When Morelen removed the band from her forehead and the cuff about her neck, Nuari could clearly see the old stitches stretched taut, straining to keep the two segments of body together. The neck especially was a terrible sight. Every time she swallowed, he could see a glimpse of movement from her esophagus.

"I know it looks bad, Nuari, but I'm still functional. . .somehow, and as long as I remain so then I will be of use to you all in pursuing this ongoing mystery. You will be the first to know if that changes."
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Nuari's pale skin turned two shades whiter as his friend sat before him in all her desiccated glory. He did his best to hide the horror that he felt with in him.

In his year he had seen many horrors. The Ogres and ogre-kin all the way to the death of his best friend Thomalain... the horror of the death he had caused with his infernal power that set him on this road... But this... this was definitely near the top of the list. Worse yet, this was actively done TO her.

His face flushed as he focused more on the evil of the doctor that did this and raw willpower kept the bile down. Anger the likes he hadn't felt since his rebirth flooded into him and he felt his eyes burn a bit. Different color then before perhaps... but apparently he hadn't changed as much as he thought.

He made conscious effort to look her in the rotting face and continue the conversation as if nothing were different.

"I've no doubt of that Morelen... none at all... Tell me... what do ye think happened to ye... 'between' the bodies?

"Do you... Did you..." He grimaced at the awkwardness of the question but barreled ahead anyway. In the back of his mind he thought that the elf would have probably shied away...

"Do you think you were... dead? Do you have any... well, I guess they ain't memories exactly... but any insights that came with ya to the new body?" He wore a most peculiar look on his face at that point. One that was hard to place.

"Or do you think that monster found a way to... keep ya... y'know... alive?"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Eyeing the dwarf curiously, Morelen lifted the hat and mentally formed it into an onyx comb to slide into the small twist of hair at the back of her head.

He hadn't screamed or cast up his accounts at the sight of her, but there was no reason to give him further nightmares, so she willed herself back to her old form before continuing their conversation.

"I don't think I died," she pondered aloud, "at least not for more than a few minutes at most. Certainly there was some damage from the lack of blood to the brain, but I'm sure that I was alive in my old body when Doctor Noenn performed the brain transfer. There is a small window for success on these things you see. Rush jobs chance an improper connection of the brain to the spinal cord, but if you're too slow than you risk brain death from lack of oxygen."

Seeing that he probably wasn't too interested in the finer points of neurogenesis incited by electrical pulse, the sorceress moved on from the point

"But no new insights, no. Lost lots of memories of course, but their hasn't been any particular gifts that came with my new parts.

"Why do you ask, Nuari? You were gone for almost twelve hours before Zerye could reincarnate you. . .did something happen to you in that time?"
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 pm

"Twelve..." the dwarf muttered aloud as he thought about the timetable. "It hadn't seemed that long... or maybe it felt longer??" He growled a little as he tried to focus his thoughts. However he considered the words they sounded like gibberish to him.

"I ain't explainin' very well..." he said with a sigh of frustration. "Ain't even sure I understand myself... and the longer I'm here... the less I remember about there.

"All part of the memory mix-ups I suppose... but when i first got back, I could remember a bit clearer. I'm not sure really where I was... Hadn't had much faith in the gods before... but I suppose it must a been the boneyard or something..."

He adjusted his legs a bit and crossed them closer to his body. The more he thought of Pharasma's realm the colder the chill down his spine seemed to get.

"I remember... that I had a choice to come back. I vaguely recall not wantin' too." He said with a touch of embarrassment. He had been an angsty fool and been more then willing to abandon the quest and his friends for the chance of 'not' continuing that life of depression. His dwarven sensibilities wanted to beat some sense into that elves' head.

"I remember being told... No, that ain't quite right. I don't know if I  heard words... or even had ears to hear.... but there was a... a.... sense. A sense that I was needed. That this mission we're on to stop Sorsha and Xenisha and the sin-magic... It was important and I NEEDED to go back.

"And so I did... found myself back in a body not me own... a bit shorter, bit more awkward, but still me. and yet... not me."

He looked at his hands like those of a stranger and glanced up at Morelen and grinned wide.

"Morelen... My fire's gone. Well... not all of it, but a lot of it. What isn't gone.... is changed in some way. I... I can't summon that pillar of hellfire anymore. my touch... it doesn't frighten the way it used to. I still have power in my blood... but it's different.

"That spell I cast.... to check the eyes? Some kind of an alarm. Something that'll warn us if there's trouble. I couldn't do that before! Now my touch seems to... inspire. I have a sense of... luck that I was not known for before... "

He wiggled his fingers again as he thought about his new abilities.

"These... I hate to use the word... but they've been associated with 'destined' people... People who are here to do something very important. It's strange... all this time I've let my blood define me... and now the definition's gone and changed on me!"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 pm

"Destined," Morelen smiled with a warmth ill-suited for her features. "I like that. Luck and destiny are two things that we could certainly use on our side in this violent mystery we find ourselves embroiled in."

Nuari was destined and she was doomed. Though a morose thought, something about that was comforting to the sorceress, who'd wished an escape for her friend. A silver lining. When he'd returned to life as a dwarf, it was difficult to guess what his reaction to such a change would be, but it seemed that though tragic, it was one of the best things that could have happened. Nuari was no longer burdened by the sins of the father. He had come into his own.

"Perhaps the taint of your father's blood had been masking the true power that lay within you all along," she mused, reaching out to stroke the feathers on the raven's head. "There is certainly more to it than blood! You are meant for great things, my friend! I am pleased for you. . . Happy even!"

It was a strange feeling and it squeezed her heart uncomfortably. The withered organ thudded irregularly in response, and Morelen decided that 'happy' wasn't something she should maintain for long periods for the sake of her own health!
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Nuari's eyes went wide as she asked that.

"I... I hadn't even considered..." His mind raced with all the memories he could muster about his origins. The rituals, the reasons??

"I had thought I was...mmm... bred, for a purpose.... but I never considered it a GOOD one." He silently stroked his beard and pondered the idea. Not for the first he wished he knew more about the overall goals of the people who had abducted his mother. Still... somethings didn't really fit enough for him to have confidence in that.

"I'm not sure... My theory was that some higher power got involved and changed something... That I... All of us really were here for a purpose and it had to relate to the quest we're on...."

What would have been a confident grin, was shrouded in a shadow of doubt as he continued. "I ain't thinkin' I'm the only one either...

"Have ye thought about it yourself? Reincarnating as something different? I mean.... If I be livin' proof of anything... it's that the soul and the blood ain't quite connected... Ye say this body be fallin apart... but when it happens," Nuari winced as he realized that he didn't use the word 'if'. Removing the hat had removed what hope he had that her fears were unfounded.

"When it happens.... Yer soul can get itself a new body. A better..." A quick glance towards Titus caused him to stutter a bit. "A healthy body at least."
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morelen

Post  Saoirse on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:41 pm

"Hmm. . . I should clarify," she considered. "You mistake my meaning about your purpose. Your father certainly had nothing to do with you are, Nuari, and who you are meant to be. Destiny is not something that is bred into you. I agree with you that some other power must have an interest in what we're facing and I'm terribly glad you're still with us in this fight, in any form!

"Now as for reincarnation. . ." Morelen's lips flattened together in a hard line. "I'm not altogether sure it would be in my best interest. My soul -- though in truth I've questioned it's existence since the transfer, is not the part that concerns me as much as maintaining my mind. I have no clear memories of my past. Flashing images at most. You say that your memories are also impaired after your rebirth. How much is a healthy body worth to me when I no longer have my mind? When I don't know who I am? Again!

"I'm tired Nuari. . . Weary. I'm tired of fighting for the knowledge of who I was and trying to make my way in an unfamiliar world and an unfamiliar body. The idea of starting over yet again is terrifying," she admitted with a raspy sigh. "My body is damaged, my mind is damaged, but the damage isn't limited to the physical. The cold and exhaustion that threatens to swallow me whole is a spiritual one. If I came back, my friend, I don't know who I'd be, let alone what, and not knowing the who of that question makes me most nervous."
Saoirse

Back to top Go down

Nuari Stormcloud

Post  Colin Marcus on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:42 pm

"You'd be you..." Nuaris said as the chill wave of sadness washed over him. He recognized the despair for what it was. It was all too familiar to him.

"I suppose it depends on the soul as fer which 'you' comes back... Whether it'd be the Morelen I know... or the one you were before. You may come back knowing everything from both lives... in a healthy body! "

He sighed and looked sympathetically at the sorceress. "We've both had our shares of dark days... I felt a despair me'self... and I ain't sayin' that reincarnation is a catch-all solution...

"I... I got the impression that it was a one-time offer. If I ever go back to where I was... I wouldn't be gettin' a third chance to do right. I gotta make this one count... Destined or no..."

He reached out and gave her cold hand a reassuring squeeze. "All I'm sayin'... is that there may be a chance... and I'll grab what chances I can fer ya.

"As old as I am... I ain't got that many friends, and I ain't fer losin' the few I have. I hope if ye hear us a callin' ya back... you choose to come!"

He tapped his seven-pointed star medallion and gave her a smirk. "Besides, yer the only one it seems that understands any of this stuff!"
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: *Skin Deep*

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum