The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Post-solstice Ride.

2 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 Empty Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Wynn's eyes gleamed dangerously at the fortune teller reference, and she made note that her king had now earned himself two helpings of swift, frigid retribution.

Patience and time, she thought to herself. Patience and time. . . Truly not much longer however, for they'd already followed the path into the woods. The area she'd chosen should be just up ahead.

"It is a different line for every situation," she offered in way of reply. "Each mission -- each subject presents new challenges, so its impossible to draw hard and fast lines. To varying degrees of success, I have learned to adapt quickly and try to size up the situation as swiftly and accurately as possible because generally I do not know how much time I will have to accomplish the purpose set before me. It is very peculiar to be in a place as long as I have been serving you here in Novastasia. . ."

The aasimar was more than ready to turn this conversation down a more lighthearted path and off of herself; a topic she was highly uncomfortable with on her best day. While she hardly minded (even understood!) his curiosity, she had come to feel especially vulnerable as of late and trudging through old failures wasn't precisely what she'd planned for their little excursion.

"Not that I ever tire of airing my dirty laundry before my royal friends, Your Majesty," Wynnsaren teased, "but speaking of steering someone, you should see our destination coming upon us presently."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 Empty Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 am

"Well, I thank you for the insight," he said as he turned his attention back to the path. "I think the understanding I gain from you about how you deal with people, well, it'll grant me some kind of insight into Feluanil...

"After all I.... I... What am I seeing here?" The king faltered as he looked at the scene set before him. He hopped off his horse and walked around the makeshift arena. Two walls, located on either side of the path, about four feet in length and three feet high had been erected in the snow. They stood about fifteen feet apart, and beside each was a large stack of pre-made snowballs.

His eyes lit up as what she had planned clicked into place. With a bemused child-like grin he turned back to the aasimar.

"You have to be kidding..."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm

"Oh I assure you that I am not, Your Grace," Wynn replied in a smooth, almost predatory tone as she slid from the saddle and tied Xiaobo to a tree a safe distance away. "Surely you are not so high in the instep that you would refuse to participate in an innocent snowball fight? "

The aasimar moved to stand before her king a few paces away, hands clasped behind her back, and she gazed up at him through long, dark lashes that barely concealed the wicked gleam in her silver eyes. Glas stalked up beside his mistress and nudged her gently with his head in greeting.

"You have fought dragons and mammoths and owlbears and strange alien beasts. . . Certainly you cannot be concerned about losing to a blind girl and her deaf pup?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:47 am

"A challenge if I've ever heard one," he said with a chuckle as he secured Yaromir near Xiaobo. He glanced back at the 'arena of snowy doom'. Fifteen feet across... that should well be within her sight range.

He walked over to one of the walls and grabbed one of the snowballs. Lightly packed, soft yet solid enough for a good throw....

"I dont' remember the last time I did this..." he said wistfully. "Years ago at least, and only with my siblings.

"And frankly that was just chaos... This has some semblance of order!"

He spun around as nobely as one could holding a snowball. "Very well! I accept your challenge. As the challenger, you can set the rules for this duel..."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 pm

"A gracious concession, Your Majesty," Wynnsaren grinned, offering a small curtsy. She slipped off her gloves and tucked them into her waistband as she crunched through the snow over to the second barrier opposite him.

"I suppose the rules should be kept rather simple. . . There are twenty missiles in each pile. The person who gains the most strikes upon their opponent will have earned all the lauds, accolades and rewards due victor!

"Now there is one sticking point that must be discussed before we begin," she noted in her most business-like tone. "It flies in the face of all propriety to strike a king in such a manner. Even with a snowball. . . I shall need your express permission, King Thaddeus, for I intend to strike you." Wynn smiled broadly.

"Repeatedly."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Thaddeus raised his eyebrow in disbelief as he looked around at the solitude that they had found. No witnesses for miles by his estimate.

"Somehow, I think there will be very little dignity maintained today," he said with a smirk. Something about a king engaging in a snowball fight seemed full of impropriety. Sir Paido would have thrown a fit at the potential risks... and Zaistrun's reaction? That thought only made him grin more widely. Sarala.... Thaddeus had a feeling she might have joined in, but these days it was hard to tell.

"Very well, milady." He gave her a curt bow. "I myself have never struck a lady in such an immature manner either. So long as I have full permission to retaliate in kind... You have my permission to strike me with your frozen fluffy projectiles.

"That is, if you can..."

Last edited by Thaddeus Medvyed on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post-solstice Ride. - Page 2 Empty Re: Post-solstice Ride.

Post  Wynnsaren Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:44 pm

And thus began the great snowball fight of 4712.

Perhaps it was immature. Perhaps it was childish. That was exactly what Wynnsaren wanted -- even needed it to be for the both of them. As soon as the first strike exploded against her shoulder, she was instantly transported back to a simpler time when they needn't worry about such issues as wars or wives, nor fret over missing merchant princes and malevolent powers.

It seemed like lifetimes ago that the aasimar had been that little girl traveling with her father's caravan. Frankly it had been, for several names had come and fallen by the wayside since those days. How lovely it was to be reminded of that girl who lived only to dance and play and solve the riddles her father would challenge her with! That little girl would be lost at far too young an age. . . No, not lost, Wynn realized, simply waiting for chances like this one to be set free again to play and experience joy.

Joy was exactly what shone in the aasimar's eyes as she laughed and danced and dodged and ducked behind her snow wall, while scoring several hits of her own. Glas, who had been informed that this was not a snowball fight to the death but merely a game, romped about the outside of the invisible circle in which they dueled, batting stray snowballs out of the air if they came within tentacle reach.

Wynn hurled one missile high over the king's head, where it struck some of the snow-laden, low hanging branches of the evergreens above him, dumping their icy weight onto the unsuspecting combatant.

She leaped up from her cover with a whoop of victory only to find that Thaddeus was not so easily thrown off his game, and she took a snowball directly in the face as proof. Wynn crumpled back down behind the wall.

"Well played, Your Majesty," she giggled around a mouthful of snow. "Well played. . ."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:20 pm

Thaddeus' eyes went wide as he felt the cold chill of winter riding down his back in frozen clumps. Yet for all the cold of winter, his heart raced and the excitement of even pretend battle created a comfortable warmth that only urged him on.

King Thaddeus was a mighty warrior. He didn't consider that a boast. He had fought dragons, undead and monsters of all shapes and sizes from this world and others, and he had come out victorious with his goddess by his side. However, despite that acknowledgement, the paladin was also quick to admit his weaknesses. He was not renown for his throwing arm or accuracy. Nor was the skillful art of dodging his to claim. Both of which were necessary today.

Today, on this battlefield, with no armor, no shield, and only his ranged capabilities, he was not at his proudest.

He spun up from the wall and hurled another snowball towards his opponent and dropped to safety. He grinned widely as he heard the satisfying gasp of impact. Hoping to capitalize on his success he peeked around the side of the wall and was immediately met with a projectile directly in his own face.

His face was growing numb... but if that was the only target he revealed around or above his wall... he couldn't be surprised if that was where he got hit the most.

Though that trick with the tree branch was well played... His cloak hung wet and heavy on his shoulders now. He was glad he had taken her advice and dressed warmly, but even then he would look forward to some time near the fireplace tonight.

Of course... 'someone' didn't feel the cold.

Hearing a thud against his wall he quickly peeked out to see where her position was, but felt another one slam into his head, as he yanked back to cover.

He rubbed some of the snow out of his ear as he laughed lightly. This... This was a good day, He stood up quickly and let a snowball fly!
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm

After a few minutes more, a hush fell over the battle ground. Wynn crouched behind the wall with her final snowball in her hand, and if she'd been counting correctly, than King Thaddeus was out. If she'd been counting correctly. . .

It was worth the risk.

The aasimar signed for Glas to go around the northern side of the wall and distract her opponent as she went around to the south, so off went the akata bounding and leaping over to the king's wall, while she scrambled as quick as she could to get around to the other side.

King Thaddeus had been right. Very little dignity remained to them at this point. . . Not to mention all the usual formality and fashionability the ambassador exhibited was left back at the tree with Xiaobo. Her blouse clung in sodden patches, while her hair -- if indeed there had been some semblance of style before, it was now hopelessly lost. Heavy with snow, it hung in thick black locks about her shoulders, bearing an eerie resemblance to another tentacled mane whose own currently was staring down the ruler of Novastasia.

"Ha! I have you now!" Wynnsaren cackled gleefully, holding her final missile ready for fire as she gazed down triumphantly at her liege. "Yield your fortress to me sir and I will be lenient to you and your people. Refuse and I will be forced to loose the remainder of my artillery!"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:09 pm

"Yield!?!" Thaddeus yelled as his mind raced. How many did she have left? One... Two at most? Did Glas have one?

"You know better then THAT! You need at least three... maybe four dragons backing you up before that is even an option!"

He looked back and forth from the his advisor to her pet space lion. While surrender wasn't in his vocabulary... He really wasn't sure what he could do here...

Unarmed... back against the wall... No mercy in those mischievous silver eyes.

"Ok... you got me... do your worst." He stated boldly as he stood to his full height, and quickly dove over the wall to hopefully provide some cover...

He was going to make her earn this hit.
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:10 pm

As the king drew himself to his feet, Wynnsaren was momentarily struck by the sheer size and presence of the man. It was little wonder that so many of the well-to-do young women of Akiros were disappointed by his announcement and introduction of his future bride. Furthermore, she wondered if that adoration had anything at all to do with his title as king! Some perhaps, but butcher or royalty, it was difficult to imagine that Thaddeus wouldn't have something of a female following wherever he went!

The moment shattered as he hurled himself over the wall with an impish smirk on his face and just like that they were back to being good friends in the midst of a juvenile and immensely fun game!

"You have chosen," the aasimar purred dangerously with eyes narrowed to slits. "Your lands and your people are forfeit! Bring up the siege engine!"

She flashed a few quick signs to the akata, who bounded over, unable to contain his exuberance at becoming part of the game.

"Batter down the walls!" Of course he didn't hear the words, they were for the king after all, but he did understand the subsequent signs and Glas began to pound viciously on the snow wall with his tentacles. It would not be long now. . .

But Thaddeus didn't wait for the rubbery, blue doom to break through. Instead, he bolted into the trees! Wynnsaren laughed aloud and gave chase, weaving around trees, crunching through the snow, looking for a good shot. When it finally came, she hit him square between the shoulder blades with a shout of glorious triumph!

"Ha! Well fought, my king, but I believe I have won the day. You are clearly deceased, your people scattered to the four winds, and your fortress? Well," she tsked, "You should have surrendered. I would have been a beneficent and just ruler.

"What the. . .?"

Wynn turned to find a blue leonine creature barreling toward her, leaping, then pouncing her into a snow bank, pinning her by her shoulders. A heavy OOMPH preceded more laughter.

"Oh treachery, thy name is Glas!" She shouted in the best stage voice she could manage, one of the less useful skills taught by her old Varisian friends. "We are destroyed from within! Brought low in our very moment of victory!

"Okay, you win! Now get off me you big oaf!" The harsh command was completely undermined by the loving hug she gave the beast before he helped her to her feet.

Wynnsaren turned to the king with a grin and futilely brushed some of the snow off her clothing.

"Normally I am not one to drink away failures but I happened to bring hot chocolate for us, so I had hoped to make an exception in this case and further hoped that you would join me, Your Majesty."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am

Thaddeus laughed until his sides hurt and he was gasping for breath.

"I'm sorry, but surrender in battle isn't in my nature milady. Regardless of how good a queen I think you'd be." His eye twitched a bit as he realized what he'd said out loud. He quickly went about brushing the snow off his quite soaked clothes.

"You fought well and I would gladly share a toast to your glory," the king said with a renewed grin. "Normally a toast of such a glorious victory should be of something a bit stronger... but I'll admit, I think now something a bit warmer would definitely suit the situation." He snapped off his gloves and wrung them out a bit with a wink.

"It is still warm isn't it?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 pm

"Regardless of how good a queen I think you'd be."

Wynnsaren blinked in surprise at the unexpected comment, and in her shock, missed the entirety of his following statement. If she hadn't been looking right at the king when he said those words, she would also have missed the little twinge of alarm that crossed his face immediately afterward.

"Warm? Warm, yes. . ." In uncharacteristic form, she stuttered awkwardly trying to regain a foothold in the conversation. The aasimar turned and moved over to her mount to retrieve the pack in which she'd stored the gear. She also took the moment to collect herself.

Wynn took the pack over to the husk of a long-fallen tree that rested nearby and sat before removing a large flask from a wooden box. Also within the box, two smooth stones about the size of a man's fist still radiated heat and she wrapped one in a cloth and handed it over to the king to warm his hands. Two rude mugs carved from maple wood were produced next, and she pulled the plug from the flask to fill them.

With a light-hearted and conversational tone, she attempted to break what was starting to feel like an uncomfortable silence.

"While you are kind to say so, Your Grace, even if Fate were to have me stumble upon such an unattached ruler who found himself simply unable to resist my multitudinous charms," she couldn't help a self-deprecating chuckle as she flung a thick, tangled tendril of snow-sodden hair over her shoulder, "I feel am particularly poorly suited to such lofty titles. Even the mere title of 'Lady' sits awkwardly upon my shoulders."

Wynn smiled and handed him his mug of chocolate. "Indeed, I cannot think of many kingdoms that I have traveled through that would accept a low-born queen, and even fewer -- if any at all, that could accept a queen who had a troublesome habit of disappearing for days or even years on end.

"Besides," she grinned into her mug before taking a sip, "I have it on good authority that royalty do not engage in such childish games as snowball fights. Clearly I am ill-equipped for such an illustrious duty!"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm

"Just as ill equipped as I then," Thaddeus chuckled as he made a point to shake some of the snow from his dark hair. He took a drink of the hot beverage and felt its warmth run through him.

This was a line of thinking he simply didn't allow himself to think anymore, and couldn't believe the slip of the tongue that started it. That was poorly done without a doubt. Still, the aasimar and the fey queen shared so many similarities, it was difficult for him to avoid comparison. The future queen rarely sat in a favorable light...

"You sell yourself short my friend," he said with a shake of his head. "You care about the people... that's all I had when I took the job." He laughed a bit to disarm the topic a bit.

"I certainly hope there isn't a riot everytime I leave for a few days! Years I could see being a problem... but is this your way of saying I'm neglecting my duties?" He eyed her with mock suspicion.
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 pm

"Hardly," she chuckled. "And there is quite a difference between riding out of the city for a few days and literally disappearing, say in the midst of a royal event with a few thousand witnesses! I find it hard to believe that people would accept that. I feel that people deserve more than that in their leaders."

Wynnsaren took a sip of chocolate and stared out over the rim at nothing in particular.

"Then of course one of the duties of a royal partner is to produce heirs, and dear gods how awful would that be to suddenly just disappear with small children needing you! I do not know the circumstances of my abandonment and hold no ill-will toward either of my birth parents, but I will say that it would have been nice to have a mother growing up." She turned a little half smile toward the king. "I would hate to inflict my own burden upon anyone. . .especially children.

"I have no knowledge of my fate," Wynn sighed, "but I know that with or without children, I would be a risky investment for anyone to take on. Gods help the man who has the misfortune to fall in love with me." Her silver eyes took on that wearied glaze once again as she buried her final comment inside her mug. "Gods save that man if I return the sentiment. . . "

Since Wynnsaren had gone with the delegation to meet the fey queen those months ago, she'd begun to have serious concerns about what effect this malevolent power that Feluanil had spoken of, might have on her mind in the long term. While she'd not mentioned it to anyone yet (for truly she had little evidence at all), she had decided upon divulging this to the king in confidence. However, Wynn felt a responsibility first to tell Rasven and this was not something she wanted to discuss in a letter.
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:42 pm

"I think all relationships are a risky investment. The key is to find one worth the risk."

He was silent for a moment as he felt the warm of his mug warm thaw his frozen fingers. It didn't do much for the lump of ice in stomach though.

"Children... heirs... That is going to be a whole different set of concerns." He shook his head in confusion.

"Mine are going to be half-fey... I really have no idea what that really means!

"I can only pray that this apathy Feluanil shows towards the kingdom and its succession doesn't apply to the children too. Hopefully, just because I can't sense any particular emotions... doesn't meant they aren't there.

"They're going to have issues that I won't be able to help with... regardless of how much I'll want to." There was a time that Thaddeus thought he was well versed in fey. Now the only thing he was confident of, was that he didn't know as much as he'd thought... Whatever species of aquatic fey his bride was... the children would be half. Would they be born with gills? Would they literally be able to climb the walls...

"I remember too well the fear and pain that Sarala went through when she realized how different she was... I hope they have someone who they can talk to..."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 pm

"It will not be the same for your children as it was for Sarala," Wynnsaren smiled softly, reassuringly. "They will know their parents and they will know from the beginning that they are children of two worlds. They will be loved by the nation, by their father, and yes, by their mother in her own way.

"While I cannot speak to your interactions with her, I will tell you that I did not find Queen Feluanil to be emotionless, as she expressed a certain care and concern for others. She may seem callous and unfeeling on the surface, but I believe that in time you will find that not to be the case and even learn to understand her."

The aasimar held the cooling mug in her hands as she considered her friend's predicament. She understood that it would be frustrating to get to know a being such as Feluanil, who seemed so guarded. . .whether intentionally or not. Maybe their would not be love, as the fey queen had inferred, but their could be companionship . . . perhaps. . .

She turned her head to the side to look him in the face. "I wished more for you, you know, Your Grace. I wished for you to find love in your chosen queen, but apparently you have drawn The Tangled Briar and events in your distant past have come back to exert their influence over you. This influence may yet prove to be beneficial. Indeed it already has, for the fey armies helped us to defeat the Red Doom. If not for your connection to Feluanil, I strongly doubt they would have gathered as an army to aid us.

"But as to your queen in particular, she seems to observe things from a great distance. While her vantage gives her the ability to see farther and understand the picture more clearly as a whole, it may also mute her reactions to the immediate; things that in her mind are not relevant to the big picture."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:35 am

The king raised an eyebrow and allowed himself the ghost of a smile at the mention of the Tangled Briar. Good sense kept his mouth shut. Despite the glorious opening, he had made enough fortune teller jokes for one day.

Those were best used in moderation.

Instead he focused on her observations. She saw things that he didn't, but he was also wise enough to know that he was too close to be objective. Besides, her interpretation gave him some hope, and a different perspective.

"That sounds lonely," he said with a shake of his head. "Always seeing the big picture, but not being able to talk about it. I get frustrated enough trying to make decisions for the kingdom, and that's just with my own limited perception. To see more, and do less... I don't know what I'd do."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Watching the king deliberately pass over the bait she'd dangled before him, Wynn pressed her lips together to stifle a smile before responding.

"It is rather difficult to assume anything about your betrothed, in fact I fear that we have traveled rather far down the path of conjecture at this point. She is unique. I do however, have every confidence that you will grow to understand her in time and perhaps you will find your contentment in that understanding.

"But be at ease, Your Majesty," she looked up at him kindly. "If you wished for a queen to stand out above all others, you have found her! As Zaistrun told me once, Queen Feluanil has not an equal in all of Avistan.

"Excepting your sister of course." Wynnsaren chuckled, thinking of the smitten young sorcerer.
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:29 pm

"GAAhhhh...." Thaddeus cringed and laughed. "Don't remind me of that!" The sorcerers interest in his sister seemed to swing between a point of mild amusement to annoyance, depending of course on the level his of obsession and Sarala's reaction to it.

It had been over six months since he and Zaistrun had spoken about that, and fortunately the Magister didn't feel the need to speak about it again.

"It's like watching a storm brewing in the distance... I can already tell that's going to be loud, violent, and devastating to anyone its path..."

He shook his head in disbelief and laughed to himself. "Maybe there's something in the water around here. We named Novastasia for New Beginnings. Maybe we should have named it for dysfunctional relationships."

He raised an eyebrow in curiosity, and left the unasked question hanging there.
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:04 am

The insinuation had Wynn raising both of her brows.

"Truly? You would sweep Master Winter and I into the 'dysfunctional' category?" A little hrumph proceeded a sip of the cooling chocolate. "It is my opinion that we have not spent enough time in one another's presence to even begin to consider dysfunction. Twice in sixteen months? Hardly.

"And before you mention it, I fear I cannot include the times he visited me while I was within my latest vision. Try as I might I have no recollection of it."

Wynnsaren turned to the monarch with a quizzical, somewhat hopeful expression. "I know that Master Winter did not ingratiate himself to you with those. . . unannounced visits, but I hope that in time, you might overlook the unintended slight."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37 pm

"Really?" Thaddeus said with a touch of surprise. She hadn't mentioned the man to him since her Rova, but what she had said then was fairly intense. Also while he wasn't the type to much stock into castle gossip... that had gotten fairly intense last month as well.

"I imagine I can... in time... forgive the type of man you believe him to be. If he's as you say," the paladin said thoughtfully. "You know it wasn't the visiting so much as the breach of protocol... and security that upset me."

He shrugged a bit and grinned. "I can't say for certain I wouldn't have done the same in his position..."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Wynnsaren grinned and lowered her eyes to the mug in her hands to hide a blush creeping into her cheeks.

"It was very sweet of him to come. . . I am not sure what exactly transpired between the two, but Kazimir seems to have a great deal of respect for Master Winter now, and I have not heard one complaint about him since then.

"And this is Kazimir you understand!" The aasimar stressed.

No more needed to be said. The grizzled ranger had little to nothing good to say about anyone, but the day she finally woke from her vision, he'd told her that Rasven had been visiting and that he was glad. . .glad that the half elf had been there! A simple phrase but Wynn was floored hearing those words come from Kaz' lips.

"No, dysfunction does not concern me, merely our circumstances creating difficulty. Clearly we have no issue with communication," she smirked, considering the hundreds of letters that had been sent and received since they'd first met, "but there are just some things I feel that are better communicated by voice rather than by quill."

Wynn looked over at the king, clearly struggling internally with a question, but finally desire won out over forbearance.

"Your Majesty, I would ask your permission to visit Silverhall. I would not wish to push aside any business in which you may have need of me, so as soon as would be convenient of course, but it has been so long. . ."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:43 pm

Thaddeus' brow furrowed in concern. Even Kazimir had fallen under the mysterious Master Winter's spell? Once again what sounded like a point in his favor, merely raised a red flag to the fledgling king. It concerned him somewhat that the only one who remained somewhat suspicious of either Winter or Feluanil was the one who he knew to be immune to charm magics. People walk in with suspicions, and walk out with smiles and praise... though even Thad would admit he was too close to be objective sometimes... still he would have felt better if Kaz still grumbled a little.

"If you wish to travel north, you would have my permission," Thaddeus said carefully. "Though, I would still recommend against it. Brevoy is still a dangerous road, and the longer this war goes on, the more dangerous it becomes.

"Last word we had, New Stetvan was still under siege. The common folk are starving and trade is cut off. When that happens... Bandits become more prevalent. That's not even counting the difficulty of traveling in the winter." He shook his head in disgust. "We do alright keeping bandits from our roads, but to the north? The able bodied soldiers are fighting the war.

He sighed in frustration, "I know where you place your hopes for this war, and I still hope to stay out of it... but if it were in my power to help the common folk suffering on either side, I would."

"If I could offer a suggestion..." he grimaced a little as he recognized the lines he crossed. "Master Winter has already shown that neither distance or danger are any concern to him. He had the power and resources to visit you when you were... asleep, why does he not come now?

"Forgive me if I speak out of turn... but just as you wished I would find love in a relationship, I wish the same for you. Sarala too for that matter. You said it was rare for a king to marry for love, and that's the burden of the crown... My friends shouldn't have the same concerns.

I know you care greatly for the man, and I just hope that it is reciprocated in the way you deserve. Would he really want you to face untold dangers just to visit a war zone, when he could be here in mere moments? Or elsewhere if he's uncomfortable meeting at the castle... We have multiple cites in the kingdom any of which are safer then Brevoy.

Confusion etched on Thaddeus' face as he tried to understand the merchant prince's motives. "We still remain neutral despite the turbulence of his last visit. We can weather anything else that another would bring."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:47 pm

It was a rare thing for people to comment on the aasimar's personal business. This was not because she was never in need of advice but because she was so tenaciously private about such matters. She could count on one hand the number of people who knew her as well as King Thaddeus and fewer still who were still alive over the years, so when he expressed his concern as her friend, Wynn did not turn his words aside. Instead, she listened and considered as he sowed a seed of doubt in her mind.

Her left hand went instinctively to the crystal orb that hung in a small leather pouch around her neck and she clutched it like a lifeline, as if it were a direct connection to the man himself. Perhaps it was. There were yet so many questions to be answered regarding the mysterious Master Winter -- questions that he could not answer without suffering through untold agony, so Wynn hoped that the Pathfinders would be able to provide her with whatever clue lay within this crystal. Now that their materials and volumes of lore had arrived in Akiros, she looked forward to a meeting with them in the coming day or two, and no doubt they looked forward to getting the persistent Ambassador off their backs.

"Your Majesty, I. . ." Wynnsaren stumbled over the words and sighed before beginning again. "There are many things I have not told you. Things about myself and my past especially that I have not felt to be relevant to my mission here and things about Master Winter that I have felt were not only irrelevant to Novastasia and yourself, but were not my secrets to tell. I trust that you understand that I have your well-being in mind at all times. Not because you are part of my mission but because you are my friend."

The aasimar looked him square in the eyes with a infinitesimal nod.

"As to the war in Brevoy, my hopes are placed alone in Master Winter's safety. Though he is bound by magical oath to Silverhall, he truly loves her and her people and will -- must do anything in his power to act on her behalf. Because of these truths, yes, I hope that Silverhall will prevail but know that I do not delight in the suffering that is being wrought. In my time I have lived in a city under siege and I have starved with the innocents. I have also been among the ranks of an army laying siege. There never seems to be a true winner in a war, only those who lose less.

"You have family on the side of the Surtovas and I have a friend in New Stetvan and many acquaintances after living there for twenty years, so I do not wish you to think that I celebrate the actions of either side."

A flush rose again to her face as she considered the recent 'turbulence' the king mentioned. The rumors of her unknown visitor ranged from benign to tawdry depending on the teller but nearly all suggested her to be in bed with Labeda whether that be figuratively or literally. Wynn was glad to know that the king held no stock in any of it.

"You believe after the recent rumors, that we could handle anything else that comes but I, and most assuredly Master Winter would disagree. I hate to admit this," she winced, "and there was a time when I believed that my own reputation could handle it, but when the name Rasven Winter is spoken in Silverhall, it is in hushed tones filled with loathing and fear. If word got out as to who was visiting me in the castle?" She shook her head slowly, sadly. "It could undermine my position in the kingdom and perhaps even threaten your own credibility if you kept me on as Ambassador.

"That is why he came in secret as he did and that is why he has not returned. He does so to protect me and to protect you as my liege."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next