The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

A Journey of Three Thousand Miles

3 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 Empty Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:15 pm

The aasimar watched as the man disappeared into the cathedral ruins and found herself feeling suddenly anxious; not due to the fact she was alone in this strange place but because she had the sense that she most definitely was not alone.  The stone ring thrummed audibly, almost alive with power.  This had to be the Doorway. . .  A gate to another world?  Wynn wondered to which of the worlds this might lead and if she was about to speak with one of these otherworldly beings personally.  It was enough to cause anyone a case of the butterflies!

Removing the sight orb from the pouch around her neck, she paused to say a quick prayer for luck and courage and then set the sphere in its hollow.

"This is why I have come," she whispered to herself reassuringly under her breath.  "Here lie the answers I have been seeking for these past years."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 Empty Recollector

Post  The Sub-Creator Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:26 pm

A spark of prismatic light ignited within the crystalline sphere, its size no larger than a tenth of a candle's flame. Within moments, magical runes began brightening upon what was once a perfectly transparent surface, each drawn with fluent lines the width of an eyelash. A sudden pulse of the prismatic light burst forth from the orb, and thousands of ghostly translucent runes floated in a radius equivalent to three times that of a prismatic sphere. The ground in that area had vanished to permit the apparitional writing its full effect, while the sight orb hovered at its center, with Wynnsaren next to it. Clearly, the runes were some kind of arcane language similar to that which all wizards used to scribe scrolls and spell books; however, this runic language differed in its complexity, as if a mind far more advanced had constructed it.

A second bright flash from the orb, this one crimson in color, rent a vertical hole within the ring of stone -- also encompassed within the globe of runes -- that blazed with fire the hue of blood. The flame quickly morphed in shape, becoming rounder for the top half and shrinking into a smaller, spindly shape for the lower. When the fire burned out mere seconds later, left hovering in its stead was a gigantic brain roughly two-and-a-half times larger than the body attached below it. Of the body, which appeared a glossy exoskeleton of black plates and sharp thorns, not a single appendage failed to end in a sharp point of some kind. It was also curled up in an exaggerated fetal position so that the entire form itself floated in the center of the ring. By all appearances, that smallish, frail body would eternally struggle to maintain balance for the massive brain connected to it! Brain and body combined to measure approximately four feet in diameter.

"Welcome, Worldwalker," the thing spoke in monotone that seemed to come from everywhere at once, yet actually could be heard only within her head. "It has been a long journey for you getting here -- perhaps far longer than you might originally have deemed possible, yet certainly not outside your present capabilities for reasoning. You have come to understand, yet knowledge, and the application of knowledge, requires many rivers of time to converge before its ocean can be formed. Your ocean is nearly complete.

"Before we begin, I know you have questions. Some of them will be answered as we move forward, but now is the time for inquiries, that the process not get bogged down in necessities of comprehension on your part. This task is far too important. Placate your fears and curiosities now, that we may begin forming the final tributaries to unlock the power for which you have been training all your lives."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Questions of all aspects and import flooded Wynnsaren's awe-struck mind in automatic response. Fear had no hold of her here -- as odd as that might have seemed, only potent, ravenous curiosity! What was this creature? From where did it come? Who built this Doorway and to where did it lead? What did it mean 'unlocking power'? Did it know where she came from?

All these paled in the face of the questions that brought her here. Could this being possible know what was going on in the Stolen Lands? It was in pursuit of these answers that she first found her voice.

"Thank you for your welcome and for answering my call," she began, figuring politeness should span all worlds. "The first of my questions is one of immediate relevance to the mission which brought me to my current home. A creature from the space between the stars -- and old god, whose coming has been predicted for millenia, seeks to gain access to Golarion. I, and those to whom I have been sent, desire to stop this being and in doing so save countless lives. Might you know who and what this creature is, and how might we stop it?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:46 pm

"Yes," came the simple, reverberating reply. "It is for this purpose that you are here now. Who and what the creature is will be deciphered by you in due time, when it becomes necessary for you to know, so as best to allot your deeds against it. That is not for me to tell you. It's coming has been predicted by us for millennia, and so we have been striving to prepare you for this time all along.

"The focus for victory resides within you. All around you exists the key to unlocking it, transcribed by the Old Mage himself. Before the appointed time comes, all of this will be learned and digested by you, that your destiny might be fulfilled."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:48 pm

"All of this?" The aasimar's luminous eyes moved about before, behind, above and beneath her, taking in the vast array of runes she found herself encompassed within. In the darkness they shimmered faintly and yet were distinct enough to be read -- if one knew how.

"Yes," she responded resolutely in her own, naturally reverberating voice. "Whatever is necessary. Whatever it takes. I know I have much yet to learn, but I have felt in the last years that my life has been leading up to this one purpose and I will spend every last drop of life left to me seeing this through."

Wynnsaren tilted her head to one side and brushed the hair from her eyes to better gaze at the strange being floating in the center of the red stone ring. "Teacher," she tested the title and found it, while not a perfect fit, the best she knew to work with so far. "Are you one of the powers who have led me throughout my life? One whose will I have served?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:49 pm

"I am not a power of any kind," the being clarified, slowly drifting down from the crimson ring to hover a few feet from Wynnsaren at eye level. "My place has not been to direct your steps; only to ensure that, as the millennia progressed, your steps would inexorably find their way here. Now. Those you revere, and some you do not, have led your life through its destined course."

One of its lustrous, black, three-digit claws fidgeted slightly, as if it meekly attempted to indicate itself to her. "I am no master of you, Worldwalker. Nor am I your teacher. If it would ease your thoughts to have a title for me, call me Recollector, or Fate, for these terms better suffice."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:52 pm

That was a lot of information to chew on, but "As the millennia progressed. . ." Her path had been laid out for millennia?! She couldn't help but gape at the thought. Wait. . .had he used the word 'lives' earlier? Was that literal or metaphorical? She could guess the answer.

Wynnsaren felt suddenly very, very small and very, very inadequate. All the memories of her tantrums against the gods and of her selfish desires inundated her mind, shaming her and bringing a crimson blush to her face. She certainly hadn't made it easy for her Fate!

"Recollector then," she curtsied out of habit. "If you will permit me one final and self-seeking subject of inquiry I will be ready to devote all my attention to what you have to tell."

The aasimar gathered herself awkwardly, tugging at the sleeves of her serviceable traveling attire.

"You have said that it is you that has helped to ensure my presence here, and there is one. . .a man named Rasven Winter, who has granted me possession of this Sight Orb for a time." She indicated the now radiant, floating orb. "He told me it was a gift to him from the Mwangi and it is this artifact which has brought be inexorably to you.

"It is my presumption therefore that you must know of him and perhaps, as I hoped I might learn from the orb, how to free him from the oath which increasingly torments."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:53 pm

"Rasven Winter is known to me," the being acknowledged, then assured, "and when the knowledge within your mind gets unlocked, freeing him from the torment you speak of will be a small thing. He, too, will be necessary to you when the time comes."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Wynnsaren sighed. Relieved. It was like the exhale of gratification one takes at the end of a long journey and the anticipatory drag of breath before embarking upon another.

"Thank you for indulging me, Recollector."

She felt a sudden fondness and familiarity with the strange creature that knew more about her than she knew herself. There were more questions certainly, but those things. . . those mortal questions seemed so insignificant in the grand scheme that she would be ashamed to give them voice. And what did they truly matter? If she knew who her parents were would that change anything? If she knew the meaning of her sigils would that alter her view of the world? If she knew her name. . . Her real name. . . She always sensed that names were somehow important, but perhaps she had never been granted that by whomever or whatever birthed her and that knowledge would be more painful than not knowing.

Even with all those questions, the aasimar knew she had something that most people would never have the answer to in their lifetime. She knew her purpose. And that, she felt, was the most important answer of them all.

Squaring her shoulders, she smiled at the being. "I believe I am ready now to fulfill the intention for which I have been led to you."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:57 pm

"It will not be so simple," the all-encompassing voice explained with a calmness that only monotone could provide. "While your mind is capable of taking in all that is necessary, your consciousness and body are not. To reacquire all of it in so short a time frame would utterly destroy you.

"All about you resides the truth of the being you have been slowly shaped to be. The culmination of that effort cannot be rushed. You will begin today. By the morning, you will be exhausted--physically and mentally, and that will be as far as you push yourself this month. A dozen visits will be required of you, with a break of no less than 28 days between each. Nothing that you have gained will be lost over time . . . the process does not work in such ways, so you need not fear such. The orb itself will be your connection to me. Merely speak into it, and I will bring you here to continue your recollections.

"You may wait longer than the requisite 28 days, if necessary, but I will not answer any call that comes to me before that allotment of time has past. You may not recognize changes right away. That is fine. The subconscious brain works in ways your kind cannot comprehend. All is as it should be."

The being paused for an extra long moment, that she might digest all he had told her, then finished, "Are you ready to begin?"

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:59 pm

Every statement this being had made was rife with words and phrases that shook Wynnsaren to the foundation of who she believed she was! Reacquire? Should she infer that she had previously retained this information in another one of her lives (as it suggested earlier)?

The aasimar -- or so she still believed, looked curiously at the alien figure as she soaked in his instructions. The idea of becoming this "being that she had been slowly shaped to be" was frankly intimidating and she had to force herself not to fidget. No, it seemed there was nothing simple about this, but if she could be so easily turned away in the face of something difficult than she would never have made it here in the first place. She would never have made it out of Tian Xia. . .

Wynn bolstered her resolve with that knowledge. She'd shown strength though dire circumstances in the past and she would show it here now and take her next step on her path. . .wherever it may lead.

"Yes," she nodded, resolute. "I am ready."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 Empty The Iobane

Post  The Sub-Creator Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:00 pm

The numerous Iobane had remained silent and alert as the night progressed, taking on their charge of protection for these visitors to the Mwangi in the utmost seriousness. None spoke a word, even if spoken to, but outwardly ignored any attempts at communication with them. In truth, not a one knew any tongue but that unique Polyglot native to this part of the jungle.

After a couple hours, the third member of the masked men that had departed with Wynnsaren entered the circle of warriors from the thickness of the surrounding vegetation. "All proceeds properly," he informed the companions as he neared them. "The time for your departure has come. We will see you back to your northern kingdom, where she who has been chosen will be taken when her purpose here ends the morrow."

He stretched out his hand to them and motioned for them to take it. "Come."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 Empty Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Zaistrun hadn't really taken it well to come all this way with Wynnsaren only to be denied entry. He had expected a fight, but Wynn evidently wanted to talk it out. Kaz took it much more poorly than the magister did, and for once Zaistrun did not begrudge him of it. After a few hours, they came back and offered to take them back? As Kas was sputtering and rearing up to spout out curses and violence, the young sorcerer decided to give him a look. This was the kind of look that said "If you screw this up for her, there are fates worse than death." It was sufficent to stop him in his tracks and render him speechless if not a little pale for the short duration.

After the look the magister looked toward the masked man. "Suppose you were put in charge of a person very precious to powerful people where you came from. Aside from personal attachment, which has already been stretched to their limits would you return without them without absolute certainty of their safety? Allow me to contact her telepathically and have her assure us of your goodwill and we will go with you."

Without awaiting permission, his vestments began to glow in arcane script as he placed his hand upon his scroll cases. Suddenly in his mind bloomed a scroll that was visible to him as well as his friend. Upon it was written in flowery script, "They wish to take us home, please assure us of your health and danger levels. They cannot listen in to this, be honest."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:11 pm

The aasimar, back arched and staring blankly into the starry night sky, hung suspended and slowly spinning amid the sphere of memories.  Her mind was somewhere else -- somewhen else, when the foreign image flashed to the forefront of her thoughts, violently tugging her back into the present.

"I am safe and more whole than I have ever been in this life.  I will find you upon my return to Akiros."  Wynnsaren smiled as the words mentally inscribe themselves upon the scroll image.  "Thank you, my friend."

Upon completion the image curled up and tied itself with a red ribbon before winking out of her mind. They would be fine, she assured herself, and she would be fine. When they met again in Novastasia there would be much to tell but until that hour came, there was much yet to learn. No . . . to relearn.

That ravenous appetite for enigma -- for answers, that had so driven her through this life, was now for the first time turned inexorably inward. All else fell away as her mind and soul was again wrenched opened by the magics surrounding her, leaving her free to fall back into her memories of another life, in another body, in another world.
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A Journey of Three Thousand Miles - Page 5 Empty Re: A Journey of Three Thousand Miles

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum