In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:16 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» The "Bored at work" thread
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

» Dulgar Foamblower
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 am by Colin Marcus

A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 am

Gozren 1st  4715

Well, we failed in our goal to stop Ardathanatus from getting his armor made...I suppose we’ll have to settle for looting it later.  With Pyraxis dead, and both Drax and I utterly spent on resources, we had no choice but to rest. It was suggested to go to the Sarenrae shrine, but we also decided that a short rest wouldn’t do much for us. There was some panic as we realized how much trouble we were in and just how short of time we had to still raise Jasper. Now with two bodies that needed it our deadline just seemed to loom even more. Pyraxis was killed by a boogeyman. I have no idea what that means. Elle seemed disconcerted, but I manacled and secured Pyraxis in a way I hope even he couldn’t break out. If he should happen to rise or if his mouth starts to disappear… I just don’t know what to expect. Better safe than Sorry.

Fortunately while we were looting Pyraxis of his shards (Drax seemed quite fascinated with the claws that Pyraxis himself never actually uses…) we discovered some scrolls we had found. The scroll of Resurrection most importantly. Without a priest or cleric, I was convinced that the spell was beyond our ability, but Elle proved me wrong. Knowing the scroll wouldn’t be used if she failed, she gave it a try and succeeded in bringing back our rocky friend. Despite his desire to try out ‘death’... he didn’t seem to enjoy the experience much. Hopefully he doesn’t get a second chance anytime soon. Strangely the first thing he did was devour a note that Elle had left for him… the last time I heard about a stone creature with words shoved in it’s head was a golem… Now I’m beginning to wonder if Oread’s are actually a thing….

After our rest and with everyone fully healed, we returned to the third level. As we had suspected, the armor was done and the Ifrit was gone. So whatever threat Ardathanatus was going to pose… it undoubtedly will be worse now. Unfortunately unavoidable.

Searching the library where we found the bogeyman we found a secret room. It wasn’t very large, only about 10x10 with a table in there. There we found a scroll of Planar Ally… so maybe with the right casting we can get our Coutl friend Tsikinal to come. It’s still outside my grasp… though the Commune I suppose I could do… Greater restoration? I suspect we’ll be glad we had that but again.. It’s no use to me. But who knows, Elle just cast a Resurrection! The other books were written in Infernal and Drax translated them for me. It was called “Secret of the Darkfire.” The pictures seemed to be caricatures of Groteus, Desna and Yamasoth that Qlippoth god… and a random elf. Before long I was able to deduce that it must be Ardathanatus. The whole story read like a thinly veiled confession for his crimes a hundred years ago. There was definitely a tone of remorse… but honestly I don’t feel much compassion for him. He seems to be claiming madness as an excuse… but here he is again, doing the same thing. Priests of all sorts are dead and he’s in the center of it. I’m still inclined to send him to Pharasma and let him plead his case to her. The fact that the other book seems to indicate that he believes undeath to be a natural evolution of life and a superior form… makes me think that meeting wouldn't go well for him.

On that note, Elle asks if clerics can be liches… Unfortunately they can. The church of Urgathoa has plenty of them even if wizards are the most common route. The scrolls indicate that he approves of undead… I really hope it’s hypothetical. I really don’t want to fight a lich today. They’re some of the hardest to truly kill.

Having taken our various extracts we wandered the halls looking for the bogeyman. I have my ‘See Invisible’ going, but kept the shield potion for a little later. We came across a room that was essentially a torture chamber. Torture and more actually… Elle found alchemical tools that are used to remove a person’s brains and put it in an alchemical golem… which I think i’m afraid to ask what that is…

Rounding a corner we find our second set of stairs that go down a level… I wonder how far this place descends?? This room was decorated to show the space beyond the sky with some really strange anthropomorphic stars and suns and random celestial bodies.

The next room… things went sideways again. We entered it and found 2 Kytons torturing a naked man on a table… though they weren’t really Kyton’s. They were actually animate nightmares. Considering the nightmare I had after the Bogeyman escaped… I don’t this is a coincidence. I drink my deathward extract just in case. This is where things went wrong. Pyraxis got a few good hits in and Elle bombed one quite well, the dreams went on the offensive. Pyraxis was hit with some kind of fear effect and took off running, while Elle and Drax became confused and started slapping at each other. How or why they didn’t annihilate each other, i don’t really understand. I suspect had I been caught between them it would have been bombs and fire whips….. Fortunately they didn’t kill each other.

Unfortunately… that left me in the room with two animate dreams. Only one really wanted to attack me. I suspect Elle and Pyraxis softened it up quite a bit, still I did everything I could to keep it from flanking me. I was doing rather well actually even if the damage I did to them was slight. Then they got an ally too. A weird misshapen hunchback thing that near as I could tell was human, even if just barely. Honestly it was the first human combatant ’d seen down here since the werebears… so I’m thinking either he or the naked guy may be the priest of Nethys that we need to take alive. I ignored him and kept working on the dreams. After what seemed liked forever, Elle and Drax  rejoined the fight and things swung our way again. The hunchback threw a lightning bolt at me AND a spiritual dagger… so now more than ever I’m thinking he’s the priest of Nethys. I heard Elle come to the same conclusion and remind Drax not to kill him… which is very difficult for him. He’s not really ‘non-lethal’ type of guy. Still, between bombs and sword, we drop the dreams and I tried to grapple the flying imp. That failed utterly and felt like magical interference. Then Drax shot a blast of earth at his head and dropped him unconscious. He should be out for awhile…  

Now to find out who the naked guy is.

Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Draxthious

Post  MrPrettyPretty on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Still in the place:

So, there was an unconscious hunchback on the floor and a naked man on a sacrificial table. What in the world is going on in this place.

Elle gives the naked man a potion, and it works, but only partially. The man is awake but seems to be damaged in the head. Elle uses her wand of restoring, twice unfortunately, before the man is able to coherently respond to us. Though only to tell us his name is Geen. Elle is forced to use her wand again which causes it to disintigrate.

So now that Geen is able to talk to us, he regales us with the tale of how he got there. He remembered the medusa turning on the other priests and our hunchback friend is Zolarum. Artathanitus, no wait. I’m just going to call him Arty, Arty wanted them all alive.

I was not able to hold in a smug smile when he mentioned how the cleric of Iomedae was dead.

Beyond him he knows of one other priest, a cleric of Arestil named Nildis here. Nildis surrendered before Geen was knocked out.

Geen himself is a cleric of Zonkathon.

Elle gets to work on the manacles holding Geen down while Colin and I search the room. We are unable to find anything. As both us and Elle are finishing up, Pyraxis came back.

Side note, as a group we should really look into some kind of mental protection.

The small chest in the corner, once opened by my multi talented Elle, contained Geen’s gear which he, thankfully, redressed in.

Colin both secures and searches Zolarum finding a magical cloak, some scrolls, a couple wands, a nice looking dagger, another Grotus key, a key for the manacles, and an amulet. The cloak is apparently a magical displacement cloak, of which I am apparently the only one who can use it. Neat.

Geen offers to take Zolarum up to the tower to watch him while we continue here. Speaking of Zolarum, the room he came from is a tiny room with a bunch of stuff I don’t really care about. To the west is a an alcove with a small window that seems to shimmer with energy and overlooks the ocean. Turns out the “window” is a magical wall of force.

Colin also manages to find a red leather book on a nightstand that appears to be magical. As we are still protected by my love’s alchemical extracts we decide to simply mark the room and come back to search it later. We move on.

Back down the hallway to where it turned East, leading slightly further to a door. After making sure it was not trapped or locked, we entered the room. An average sized place with a large desk and leather chair, a chest by that, a cabnet containing cudgels and manacles, oh and a very large creature with red skin a massive fanged mouth in the middle of it’s chest.

A Baragara if you were curious.

So of course, we fight it. During the fight it attempts to eat me, grabbing me and shoving me inside it’s chest mouth. Not something I’d ever thought I’d have to say or write. Elle, my dearest, is able to manifest what definitely seems to be the spirit of her young friend, this time fully under Elle’s control. I am so proud of her. Also, I’m covered in chest mouth slime. Another thing I never thought I’d ever have to write.

We are finally able to kill it, apparently for good as it doesn’t vanish. Which of course means it wasn’t a summoned creature.

Inside the room, after taking quick look, we find some stuff in the chest, four scrolls, magical leather armor, a magical bow, a small quiver of arrows and a finely crafted heavy mace.

Beyond the room is two hallways of prison cells. All empty except for the last one which contains an old man. However the door is secured, the stone of the wall seeming to have somehow grown over the door itself holding it in place. Pyraxis is eventually able to break it down.

We seem to have found Nildis, the Arestil priest Geen mentioned. Turns out Arty told Nildis that he would be the first victim of the polymorph plague once the doomsday door has been re-focused to Sekatar-Seraktis. Which is the Abyssal realm of the Yamasoth.

When asked if he could make it to the surface Nildis says that Arestil doesn’t answer him anymore. When questioned why we got the response that Arestil was dead to Nildis. I mean, I can understand feeling dejection with a god but still this seems, wrong.

Nildis tells us that Arty brought his minions back with him from Hollow Mtn, an island of the coast of Varisia. Not only the red caps and giants, but other creatures and some kind of chameleon people.

As we are talking, Elle pulls me aside and asks if I am alright. She seems to think that my so called father has some hold on me. I assure her everything is fine and we move on.

We decide to move back to the Grotus door that was humming and vibrating. When Elle opens it a deafening roar (in Colin’s case, literally) echoes out, the force of which slams us all backwards. So now we are all hurting and Colin is deaf and what do we have to show for it? A solid stone wall. And we know it’s very solid since Pyraxis can’t look through it. You can’t tell, but I’m sighing right now.

So back to the torture room and the stairs near there. We traverse down only to have it lead us to a cliff with waves upon waves below us. On the far side is another ledge holding a chest surrounded by gold and silverwear and other treasures.

As we are looking for a way across six large Sea Drakes, larger than normal, come up and demand tribute from us before allowing us to leave. If we were at full strength, maybe we would take them, but...we are no where near full strength. So, we pay them the two thousand gold they demand, speaking only draconic of course, and we head back up the stairs.

All the way back to the other other set of stairs down, this one leading to a square room. A door sits in the wall to the east and all over the other walls are carved niches. A central pillar in the room has been carved with Thassalonian runes, apparently asking Grotus to bless this level of the dungeon as a place of rest. In each of the corners are lit braziers.

Elle finds some writing on the door and realizes it’s a magical trap. Is there anything my love can’t do? Apparently dispell this trap as it goes off, the force of which hitting all of us but almost dropping my lady.

Obviously we spend a bit of time healing and I’m realizing something. Either I’m healthier than most people or healing magics don’t affect me as well. It seems to take many more resources to get me to where I’m feeling “fine” than it does the others. Something to look into another time.
We quickly search the room, Colin finding a section of the wall that seems to be slightly discolored. Elle recognizing it as the after effects of a wall that has been stoneshaped by magic.

Back through the door that went boom we enter another square room. A hallway branches to the north and east and another Grotus rest pillar sits in the middle of the room. This time instead of braziers in the corners are coffins. What? Ok, I’m told they are sarcophagi though I don’t know what the difference is.

Colin approaches the one in the south west corner and when he does, four shadowy forms burst out and attacks us. They appear to be shadows and though we beat them, Elle is severely drained of her physical strength.
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top