In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» Emerald Spire Session Notes
Yesterday at 4:06 pm by Magyc

» The "Bored at work" thread
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 pm by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 am by MrPrettyPretty

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders

Post  Colin Marcus on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 am

Gozren 1st  4715

Well, we failed in our goal to stop Ardathanatus from getting his armor made...I suppose we’ll have to settle for looting it later.  With Pyraxis dead, and both Drax and I utterly spent on resources, we had no choice but to rest. It was suggested to go to the Sarenrae shrine, but we also decided that a short rest wouldn’t do much for us. There was some panic as we realized how much trouble we were in and just how short of time we had to still raise Jasper. Now with two bodies that needed it our deadline just seemed to loom even more. Pyraxis was killed by a boogeyman. I have no idea what that means. Elle seemed disconcerted, but I manacled and secured Pyraxis in a way I hope even he couldn’t break out. If he should happen to rise or if his mouth starts to disappear… I just don’t know what to expect. Better safe than Sorry.

Fortunately while we were looting Pyraxis of his shards (Drax seemed quite fascinated with the claws that Pyraxis himself never actually uses…) we discovered some scrolls we had found. The scroll of Resurrection most importantly. Without a priest or cleric, I was convinced that the spell was beyond our ability, but Elle proved me wrong. Knowing the scroll wouldn’t be used if she failed, she gave it a try and succeeded in bringing back our rocky friend. Despite his desire to try out ‘death’... he didn’t seem to enjoy the experience much. Hopefully he doesn’t get a second chance anytime soon. Strangely the first thing he did was devour a note that Elle had left for him… the last time I heard about a stone creature with words shoved in it’s head was a golem… Now I’m beginning to wonder if Oread’s are actually a thing….

After our rest and with everyone fully healed, we returned to the third level. As we had suspected, the armor was done and the Ifrit was gone. So whatever threat Ardathanatus was going to pose… it undoubtedly will be worse now. Unfortunately unavoidable.

Searching the library where we found the bogeyman we found a secret room. It wasn’t very large, only about 10x10 with a table in there. There we found a scroll of Planar Ally… so maybe with the right casting we can get our Coutl friend Tsikinal to come. It’s still outside my grasp… though the Commune I suppose I could do… Greater restoration? I suspect we’ll be glad we had that but again.. It’s no use to me. But who knows, Elle just cast a Resurrection! The other books were written in Infernal and Drax translated them for me. It was called “Secret of the Darkfire.” The pictures seemed to be caricatures of Groteus, Desna and Yamasoth that Qlippoth god… and a random elf. Before long I was able to deduce that it must be Ardathanatus. The whole story read like a thinly veiled confession for his crimes a hundred years ago. There was definitely a tone of remorse… but honestly I don’t feel much compassion for him. He seems to be claiming madness as an excuse… but here he is again, doing the same thing. Priests of all sorts are dead and he’s in the center of it. I’m still inclined to send him to Pharasma and let him plead his case to her. The fact that the other book seems to indicate that he believes undeath to be a natural evolution of life and a superior form… makes me think that meeting wouldn't go well for him.

On that note, Elle asks if clerics can be liches… Unfortunately they can. The church of Urgathoa has plenty of them even if wizards are the most common route. The scrolls indicate that he approves of undead… I really hope it’s hypothetical. I really don’t want to fight a lich today. They’re some of the hardest to truly kill.

Having taken our various extracts we wandered the halls looking for the bogeyman. I have my ‘See Invisible’ going, but kept the shield potion for a little later. We came across a room that was essentially a torture chamber. Torture and more actually… Elle found alchemical tools that are used to remove a person’s brains and put it in an alchemical golem… which I think i’m afraid to ask what that is…

Rounding a corner we find our second set of stairs that go down a level… I wonder how far this place descends?? This room was decorated to show the space beyond the sky with some really strange anthropomorphic stars and suns and random celestial bodies.

The next room… things went sideways again. We entered it and found 2 Kytons torturing a naked man on a table… though they weren’t really Kyton’s. They were actually animate nightmares. Considering the nightmare I had after the Bogeyman escaped… I don’t this is a coincidence. I drink my deathward extract just in case. This is where things went wrong. Pyraxis got a few good hits in and Elle bombed one quite well, the dreams went on the offensive. Pyraxis was hit with some kind of fear effect and took off running, while Elle and Drax became confused and started slapping at each other. How or why they didn’t annihilate each other, i don’t really understand. I suspect had I been caught between them it would have been bombs and fire whips….. Fortunately they didn’t kill each other.

Unfortunately… that left me in the room with two animate dreams. Only one really wanted to attack me. I suspect Elle and Pyraxis softened it up quite a bit, still I did everything I could to keep it from flanking me. I was doing rather well actually even if the damage I did to them was slight. Then they got an ally too. A weird misshapen hunchback thing that near as I could tell was human, even if just barely. Honestly it was the first human combatant ’d seen down here since the werebears… so I’m thinking either he or the naked guy may be the priest of Nethys that we need to take alive. I ignored him and kept working on the dreams. After what seemed liked forever, Elle and Drax  rejoined the fight and things swung our way again. The hunchback threw a lightning bolt at me AND a spiritual dagger… so now more than ever I’m thinking he’s the priest of Nethys. I heard Elle come to the same conclusion and remind Drax not to kill him… which is very difficult for him. He’s not really ‘non-lethal’ type of guy. Still, between bombs and sword, we drop the dreams and I tried to grapple the flying imp. That failed utterly and felt like magical interference. Then Drax shot a blast of earth at his head and dropped him unconscious. He should be out for awhile…  

Now to find out who the naked guy is.

Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Draxthious

Post  MrPrettyPretty on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Still in the place:

So, there was an unconscious hunchback on the floor and a naked man on a sacrificial table. What in the world is going on in this place.

Elle gives the naked man a potion, and it works, but only partially. The man is awake but seems to be damaged in the head. Elle uses her wand of restoring, twice unfortunately, before the man is able to coherently respond to us. Though only to tell us his name is Geen. Elle is forced to use her wand again which causes it to disintigrate.

So now that Geen is able to talk to us, he regales us with the tale of how he got there. He remembered the medusa turning on the other priests and our hunchback friend is Zolarum. Artathanitus, no wait. I’m just going to call him Arty, Arty wanted them all alive.

I was not able to hold in a smug smile when he mentioned how the cleric of Iomedae was dead.

Beyond him he knows of one other priest, a cleric of Arestil named Nildis here. Nildis surrendered before Geen was knocked out.

Geen himself is a cleric of Zonkathon.

Elle gets to work on the manacles holding Geen down while Colin and I search the room. We are unable to find anything. As both us and Elle are finishing up, Pyraxis came back.

Side note, as a group we should really look into some kind of mental protection.

The small chest in the corner, once opened by my multi talented Elle, contained Geen’s gear which he, thankfully, redressed in.

Colin both secures and searches Zolarum finding a magical cloak, some scrolls, a couple wands, a nice looking dagger, another Grotus key, a key for the manacles, and an amulet. The cloak is apparently a magical displacement cloak, of which I am apparently the only one who can use it. Neat.

Geen offers to take Zolarum up to the tower to watch him while we continue here. Speaking of Zolarum, the room he came from is a tiny room with a bunch of stuff I don’t really care about. To the west is a an alcove with a small window that seems to shimmer with energy and overlooks the ocean. Turns out the “window” is a magical wall of force.

Colin also manages to find a red leather book on a nightstand that appears to be magical. As we are still protected by my love’s alchemical extracts we decide to simply mark the room and come back to search it later. We move on.

Back down the hallway to where it turned East, leading slightly further to a door. After making sure it was not trapped or locked, we entered the room. An average sized place with a large desk and leather chair, a chest by that, a cabnet containing cudgels and manacles, oh and a very large creature with red skin a massive fanged mouth in the middle of it’s chest.

A Baragara if you were curious.

So of course, we fight it. During the fight it attempts to eat me, grabbing me and shoving me inside it’s chest mouth. Not something I’d ever thought I’d have to say or write. Elle, my dearest, is able to manifest what definitely seems to be the spirit of her young friend, this time fully under Elle’s control. I am so proud of her. Also, I’m covered in chest mouth slime. Another thing I never thought I’d ever have to write.

We are finally able to kill it, apparently for good as it doesn’t vanish. Which of course means it wasn’t a summoned creature.

Inside the room, after taking quick look, we find some stuff in the chest, four scrolls, magical leather armor, a magical bow, a small quiver of arrows and a finely crafted heavy mace.

Beyond the room is two hallways of prison cells. All empty except for the last one which contains an old man. However the door is secured, the stone of the wall seeming to have somehow grown over the door itself holding it in place. Pyraxis is eventually able to break it down.

We seem to have found Nildis, the Arestil priest Geen mentioned. Turns out Arty told Nildis that he would be the first victim of the polymorph plague once the doomsday door has been re-focused to Sekatar-Seraktis. Which is the Abyssal realm of the Yamasoth.

When asked if he could make it to the surface Nildis says that Arestil doesn’t answer him anymore. When questioned why we got the response that Arestil was dead to Nildis. I mean, I can understand feeling dejection with a god but still this seems, wrong.

Nildis tells us that Arty brought his minions back with him from Hollow Mtn, an island of the coast of Varisia. Not only the red caps and giants, but other creatures and some kind of chameleon people.

As we are talking, Elle pulls me aside and asks if I am alright. She seems to think that my so called father has some hold on me. I assure her everything is fine and we move on.

We decide to move back to the Grotus door that was humming and vibrating. When Elle opens it a deafening roar (in Colin’s case, literally) echoes out, the force of which slams us all backwards. So now we are all hurting and Colin is deaf and what do we have to show for it? A solid stone wall. And we know it’s very solid since Pyraxis can’t look through it. You can’t tell, but I’m sighing right now.

So back to the torture room and the stairs near there. We traverse down only to have it lead us to a cliff with waves upon waves below us. On the far side is another ledge holding a chest surrounded by gold and silverwear and other treasures.

As we are looking for a way across six large Sea Drakes, larger than normal, come up and demand tribute from us before allowing us to leave. If we were at full strength, maybe we would take them, but...we are no where near full strength. So, we pay them the two thousand gold they demand, speaking only draconic of course, and we head back up the stairs.

All the way back to the other other set of stairs down, this one leading to a square room. A door sits in the wall to the east and all over the other walls are carved niches. A central pillar in the room has been carved with Thassalonian runes, apparently asking Grotus to bless this level of the dungeon as a place of rest. In each of the corners are lit braziers.

Elle finds some writing on the door and realizes it’s a magical trap. Is there anything my love can’t do? Apparently dispell this trap as it goes off, the force of which hitting all of us but almost dropping my lady.

Obviously we spend a bit of time healing and I’m realizing something. Either I’m healthier than most people or healing magics don’t affect me as well. It seems to take many more resources to get me to where I’m feeling “fine” than it does the others. Something to look into another time.
We quickly search the room, Colin finding a section of the wall that seems to be slightly discolored. Elle recognizing it as the after effects of a wall that has been stoneshaped by magic.

Back through the door that went boom we enter another square room. A hallway branches to the north and east and another Grotus rest pillar sits in the middle of the room. This time instead of braziers in the corners are coffins. What? Ok, I’m told they are sarcophagi though I don’t know what the difference is.

Colin approaches the one in the south west corner and when he does, four shadowy forms burst out and attacks us. They appear to be shadows and though we beat them, Elle is severely drained of her physical strength.
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Magyc on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 pm

We used our limited resources to heal those who were weakened by the shadows. Notably, despite Colin being hit many times, he had not been weakened by their attacks at all- a gift from his heritage. It was evident he realized this halfway through the fight as his actions changed from careful dodging and maneuvering to boldly stepping up and striking. These beings seem to be unable to harm him- an enormous break in our favor for once.

We moved on with our exploration. I looked through the stone into the next room we approached and saw it was a mausoleum of sorts- many niches filled with hundreds or thousands of bones. We bypassed searching for now, to save our active spells. We did realize the bones were so old they would crumble to dust upon a touch.

Sarala called a halt to our procession as she spotted a very powerful magical trap, which Colin identified as some kind of transmutation effect. She moved to disarm it after we moved to a safe distance and after she assured Drax she would be fine, and she was. We moved on and found an open room with six sarcophagi in it. After seeing his immunity to shadow attacks, we decided it would be best for Colin to be the one to look into it, and he did, finding only bones.
We moved on to find a room decorated in Thassilonian runes. The ones among us literate in the ancient language read it as “Present a key to the end times, and speak the Groetan invocations favoring the dead, and be counted as acolytes of the harbinger of the last days”. Walls then flashed with a pale blue light, and creatures emerged that Elle identified as Groetan candles- Will O Wisps from Thassilonian times. They were apparently immune to magic. That did not present a problem for me, but their elusiveness did. They did electrical damage with their attacks and I was forced to flee the room, but not before I again saw Colin laughing off the attacks. This again underscored that his preparation and canniness were to be learned from and emulated, along with the lessons of caution and wariness that I noted before.

As I was close to falling and perhaps dying again, I needed to seek safety, and I knew instinctively knoew exactly where I could do so. We had just seen a portion of a tunnel that had collapsed and exposed the earth behind it, and I knew I could seek refuge there. However, a Will O Wisp followed me, and I knew I could not climb the rubble to reach the patch of earth without it most likely killing me. However, I was saved as Elle had followed me and distracted the creature, while giving me a potion to keep me on our feet. Our teamwork may still need work- but I think it is definitely improving. She and I were able to dispatch the Wisp that had followed me and then returned to reinforce Drax and Colin. They were at something of a stalemate- they creatures were not hurting them much, but they were having a hard time hitting the elusive Wisps. I got into flanking position and one by one we were able to take them down.

After the fight was over I asked the group to follow me back to the section of bare earth, as I had to confirm my suspicion. It was indeed as I had thought- I could now move through the element of my heritage, although somewhat slowly. Though it will not be particularly useful in this place as we are surrounded by a cage of stone, it will open up tactical possibilities in the future.

We searched the room and found Bracers, and Amulet, a Ring, Medallion, and a Stone. Colin and Elle were only able to identify the Amulet and the Stone, and Colin took the stone to use for good luck. Unfortunately it appears that the stone masked what it was really was- some kind of cursed item that weighed heavily upon Colin, and was something he could not rid himself of. Despite this misfortune, we did pick up the scattered coinage on the floor, which was substantial.

We continued on to a new room filled with sarcophagi. This time, opening one did wake the restless dead, as a horde of mummies came out as from both this chamber and adjoining chambers. We used careful positioning, and destroyed them en masse through Drax’s explosions and Elles bombs that were particularly inimical to undead. After destroying the horde, we moved on and found a singularly powerful mummy who urged us several time to stop. But upon attacking us, I chose to follow Colin’s lead and dispatch the enemy rather than parlay. The lesson of the boogeyman has been well-learned.
Magyc

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 am

Something AWESOME coming shortly!
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Windsong Abbey

Post  Colin Marcus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:52 pm

Gozren 1st  4715 cont.

This has been a frustratingly long day. The battle with Ardathanatus was well under way and we were losing badly. Pyraxis, Elle and myself were on the wrong side of the blade barrier. Pyraxis was in bad shape and had ducked around a corner. He still had trick up his sleeve I’d find out later.

Elle tried to use her new magic staff with little effect. I think she was using it correctly (more than I could have) but the spells weren’t affecting him. My own spells focus more on a range of touch… and my distance spells weren’t working on him either. I couldn’t see enough under the armor to know if he was Elf or Undead (or both) but Disrupt undead had no effect. My options were painfully low.  I was reduced to offering Drax advice while we watched them trade blows back and forth… and Ardathanatus could (and did) heal himself regularly.

The Doomsday Door was continually sapping my life, but my judgement was replenishing it as we went. My only other option was to leap through the Blade Barrier… but I REALLY didn’t want to. Every scenario I played through my mind had me dying if I tried that. Either from the barrier itself, or from Ardathanatus shortly after.

Pyraxis it turned out used some of that unworked stone to burrow through the walls… until he reached the worked stone in the battle room. That didn’t stop him though and we could hear him pounding away until he broke through.

Drax was nearly beaten himself and I have little doubt that Ardathanatus would coup de grace him when he fell. I felt bad that Elle would have to watch this, but I couldn’t get anything to work. The best I could do was silence the room so that Ardathanatus couldn’t heal himself anymore. I suspect it worked, but I wasn’t really getting any deafer.

Drax must have heard my earlier advice because then in what I assume was a last ditch effort, he unleashed the most unholy torrent of burning lava I have ever seen before keeling over, and Ardathanatus was annihilated. Completely and totally annihilated.  Then the Doomsday Door opened wide.

What came out, I can’t describe fully. There were tentacles and eyes and… Even now it hurts to think about. It’s size was immense but it’s shape… wasn’t ‘right’. Pyraxis burst into the room only to jump back into the wall. Elle was stunned at the sight of it and Drax was mercifully spared that memory. I was still able to function (perhaps it uttered some weird sound?)  but was still on the wrong side of the Barrier, not that I believe fighting it would have ended well.

This thing… I can only assume was Qlippoth… probably a Qlippoth Lord… Quite frankly our research would indicate it was probably Yamasoth itself. Regardless fortune favored us for a change and it scuttled forward and wrapped what remained of the elf and his armor and dragged it back through the door and it then slammed shut. I am going to make an active decision to NOT imagine what kind of afterlife that Elf is going to have.

With the battle won, Pyraxis rushed to help Drax. It didn’t look like he was bleeding out, merely unconscious, but Pyraxis didn’t take that chance. The result was that Drax was certainly stabilized… but Pyraxis himself suffered enough burns treating our comrade that he succumbed to his own wounds and dropped down. He on the other hand DID appear to be dying and we were STILL on the wrong side of the wall. In moments Pyraxis seemed to stabilize himself and I started making camp while we waited out the barrier.

It took what seemed like forever. Elle naturally rushed to Drax’s side also suffering the fire, while I tried to get Pyraxis on his feet. Elle had used magic to search for secret doors, but there weren’t any. It appeared that our opponent already had the shard and now Drax had it.

Honestly, this was kind of funny, at first.  He is currently envious of everyone and everything… as predicted. His self-confidence is gone and everyone is better at everything than he is and they all have better stuff. Like I said, this was fun at first but gets old fast. Sometimes deafness is a blessing.

There was debate about whether we should rest or retreat. I felt that we may have skipped something important, and while I was in decent shape to keep fighting, Pyraxis and Drax did not look good. In the end we agreed that were done here. The Sea Drakes were still a thing, but not one we would fight… and the place was more than cleared out enough. We had the shard and Jasper was quickly rotting. It was time to go home.

Pyraxis wanted to fly our ebony fly with Jasper to Sandpoint, but Drax seemed confident that his ship would be back the next afternoon. Using my magic Fan feather token, we would actually make better time getting all the way back to Magnimar than merely Sandpoint… and we know there are priests at home that can raise him. Provided of course that he hasn’t been judged and sent on his way… I really can’t imagine the line is very long Groteus followers.

Gozren 2nd  4715

Well the ship arrived shortly after noon and we’re off. The sailors seem skittish because of the speeds we’re going, and I’m staying near the center of the ship near the masts again. Fortunately I found a new use for my Inner Strength. While it is normally a last ditch effort to heal me (better than my normal healing spells,) this one goes further. It was able to cure my deafness. On the plus side… that makes me happy. On the downside… I now have to listen to Drax barter away everything he can get his hands on that is instantly substandard the moment he has it… I’ll be getting my hammer back before we dock from one of the sailors, don’t doubt that.

Elle has been trying to smooth over group cohesion. Apparently she is still rattled by outburst and doesn’t want Drax and I at each other’s throats when he’s uncursed. I had hoped Elle and I were alright after our chat the night before, but she’s still concerned. Honestly, I know it’s been two days…. But it feels like at least thirteen weeks since that blow up. I’ve made my points known, I’m willing to let it all go. Hopefully the others do as well. It’s agreed we need some down time. At least a night of drinking and relaxing to restore some of the groups friendships, I just hope we have the time… Also, there is the matter of the Shadow Lodge thieves. I still intend to not only retrieve our property, but use these fools to send a message to anyone stupid enough to try again.

There is another concerning conversation I need to have with Draxthious. It won’t be fun, and it may lead to more discomfort… but i hope it’ll be for the best.
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Magyc on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:11 am

We hit the port and after making sure the rogue priest Zolerim was well secured in the brig, we made immediately for the Desnan temple to see to Jasper. For the right price, they raised him successfully. I told him almost everything, to the disapproval of several others in the Vanguard. However, I felt he deserved to know what we knew after his fully knowing sacrifice. We would not have succeeded without his help. He had many questions about the Doomsday and I answered them as much as I could, while emphasizing the extreme danger it represented. He gave assurances that he had no interest in using it to cause a regional catastrophe as it did not merit enough of a threat. We did not give him the keys even though he was interested in them, as it was clear the priests could not protect them at this time. He asked us to repatriate them later. I gave him the expensive mithral holy symbol of Groetus we found, the Crown of the Masked Abbot (he may be able to trade it for a position at the Abbey if he brings it back in triumph) and about 1,000 gold in change I got from selling my armor (after I determined it was just holding me back). Unfortunately he will not accompany us anymore, he will be trying to restart the abbey. We wished him well and parted ways.

We collected our reward from the Desnans for rescuing the abbey, several scrolls.

We stopped at the Calistrian temple on the way back to the lodge to return the sliver of the chair. We got a very expensive healing wand as a reward, as well as 30 days of half price service at the temple. We probably will not have time to take advantage.

Next we went to address the Draxious’s curse. As curses go, this one was not nearly as bad as the others. If one has patience, they can listen to him complain interminably without issue. At the manor, we gave our report to Sheila. Penny had procured this stone and the next already! I wondered if her team would be impacted by the absence of Koriah- that did not seem to be the case. Drax put the stone in and was cured of the curse; after describing what the shard could do, we decided it best rested with Elle. The next stone was also turned over to us- it radiated so much cold it needed special precautions to handle.
Sheila said Penny found out how to reform the Sihedron when all the shards were recovered- The altar in the Crow was being moved to the Irespan, where a ritual had to be performed.

We then turned our attention to fixing our enormous mistake, and as Colin put it, issuing a warning to those who would come after the Shards. We used my stone to try to pick up the trail of the ones stolen from us. The vision was inconclusive- only a graveyard we could not recognize. We decided to do some investigation- Elle and I went to speak to our contact at the Watch- Cassidy. She said they tracked Colin’s assailants back to the Beacon’s Point, and it seemed likely the Nightscales were behind the attack- the most powerful and vicious Varisian gang. We were warned to be very careful in dealing with them. She said they had an alchemist working for them now who we may be interested in.

Drax and Colin went to talk with the Shadow Lodge member that betrayed us, our former guard. Colin came back with bloody knuckles and said it seemed that some mercenary group out of Ustalav had ended up with shards. Colin suspected vampires.
We decided to sell our loot from the Abbey to better equip before tackling this problem. We did so and that night used the shard again- this time we recognized the wagon was on Lost Coast Road. We set out on Drax’s ship using a token to achieve great speed again, and set up near the abbey and waited for the wagon to approach.

Last edited by Magyc on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magyc

Back to top Go down

Vs. Night Harrows

Post  Colin Marcus on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:36 am

Gozren 2nd  4715 cont.

We arrived back at Windsong Abbey. We set up a camp in the ruins of the village along the path waiting for what I believe to be our vampiric opponents. It was a long fretful night, but they never came.

Gozren 3rd 4715

The next morning we used the shard to scrye them again. The shards were once again in the same nondescript cemetery.. This confounded us for a while. Unless all cemeteries looks the same (they don’t), and they didn’t turn around in the middle of the day and return to it (Pyraxis checked every hour to see if they were still on the road), then they must be using magic to hide.

The pride shard has the ability to cast major image once a day, but it requires concentration...and that doesn’t feel legitimate to keep that up all day long. We reexamined our maps and noticed that between Sandpoint and Windsong there was another path traveling inland. Since the Coast road DOES end here, and here is devastated… it’s not unreasonable to think they turned off. We decided to head back and scout out the best we could.

Elle  was able to make the best time with the Ebony Fly. I have Pyraxis’ extremely clumsy and awkward wings… Flight is good, but I’ll still have to fight on the ground I suspect. Pyraxis walked though I think he could do that earthgliding thing if he needed to.  When we reached the crossroad, I saw the wagon tracks. Most caravans don’t go this way, and they were fairly fresh. Elle soon found them ahead, but we had to decide what to do about it. Our choices were this. 1) Push on till we catch them … hopefully before night falls and fight them while exhausted. Or 2) Rest now and try to catch up the following morning.  We decided to push on rather than lose them.

I still remember Dagmire joking with Syfer years back. It doesn’t matter how well you plan, he would say. No matter how you tried to avoid it… You always ended up finding the coffins when the sun was JUUUUUST above the horizon. It was funny at the time, less so after he was killed by a vampire. Today his wisdom struck true again. When we arrived at the illusory cemetery I judged it to be less than ten minutes before sunset.

The others couldn’t see through the illusion and seemed to be more tired than I was surprisingly… perhaps the thought of staking something had my blood up. However there was the wagon under an illusion and it was surrounded by over a dozen… less than a score of zombies. My ‘Hide from Undead’ spell would hide us from them at least till I struck. I snuck in (perhaps not too quietly) hoping to catch them asleep… and I made a grave error. Inside the wagon was a varisian harrower. Something I’d heard of but rarely seen… an undead cleric (I assume vampire, but not 100% sure, and something that I never did see who stabbed at my back… Oh, and SEVEN COFFINS. Under no circumstance did I ever suspect there were SEVEN vampires. One or two certainly… Maybe a human guard to drive the wagon… (on second thought I never did see any horses, I wonder if the zombies pull the wagon?)

Everyone IN the wagon saw through my illusion easily enough. The harrower did most of the talking, and I didn’t like what she said. Typical threats about killing me… or more. Basically I was going to die anyway, but if I gave up quickly I could be turned into something more useful. Despite the horde of coffins, I assume she means a zombie. I attacked.

I did better than I probably should have. The new armor and Elle’s buffing extracts are protecting me well, but I was still glad to hear the battle outside end and Pyraxis join me in the wagon. With the odds improved and flanking possible, we did much better. Pyraxis started hurling coffins out to watch those inside burst in flames… and acid. Though that may have been Elle helping the sun along.

Unfortunately as soon as the tide started to turn the harrower reached into the master vampire coffin and the cleric reached out toward our invisible foe and they all teleported away. Unfortunate, but we still had five Vampire spawns to destroy before the sunset. Also, we found our shards again. All in all, I’m counting this as a win. We rested where we could and return to the ship the next day.

Gozren 5th, 4715

We’re almost to Sandpoint, should arrive this evening. Something rather surprising happened today. We received a visitor while at sea. A mephit by the looks of it who was asking for pathfinders specifically. Obviously a trap of some sort, I stepped up to draw it’s attention.

His name was Beshka and he was a minion of the efreet that was bound to Ardathanatos. He was pleased that we killed the elf and offered us a reward. It was a short sword that I could tell was quite powerful. It had smooth obsidian pommel with a gem that seemed almost lava. No crossguard in the Osiriani style, but the blade was smooth one edge and the other shaped like flame. The blade was an orangish color that faded to yellow on the edges giving the impression of heat. Identifying it was beyond me.

Elle however saw that it was doubly enchanted luckblade, with some good fortune added on it. Ironically no actual flame powers or protection from fire as it’s appearance indicated to me,  and Elle was quick to hand it back to me. I’ve not used a short sword in a while… but it certainly does seem worth the extra practice. Easily the equal of Silverfang and superior against non-undead.

I am still suspicious of the generosity. Efreeti are not known for kindness… and a large part of me still thinks we should have ended that evil while we had the chance…
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Draxthious

Post  MrPrettyPretty on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 am

5 - 4 - 4715

We arrive in Sandpoint in the evening and begin looking for Kazmir and Carria, checking the taverns on our way to the temple. We manage to find him at the Rusty Dragon, a quaint little place of interesting design and slightly above average faire.

I’ll be honest here, I wasn’t really paying attention. The topics of conversation tended to irk me and I spent my time looking around and at the menu.

My love asks Kaz if he's still got his connection to his deity and I totally missed his response. The man then talks about the others we met and rescued and here is where I really zoned out.
He and Elle start talking about faith and religion and other things that mildly irk me.

We decide to head back to Magnimar talking as we go about giving Kaz one of the Groten keys but decide not to. Honestly I don’t think anyone but us should have any of them. An apocolypse door is not something to be taken lightly and right now I don’t trust anyone else to safeguard them.

Elle checks her shard for the my next one's location, seeing a spur shaped tower of blue grey metal springing up from the ground out of a huge cavernous rift. On the sides of the cavern, at about twenty foot intervals, are wooden bridges crossing the expanse. It seems to be that something has established a mine there. Lovely.

6 - 4 - 4715

We arrive back in Magnimar just before evening and immediately drop our prisoner off before heading to Hydemarch manor to confer with Shiela.

Side note, I wouldn’t mind Elle and I owning a house like the Manor one day, some place big enough to do what we need to and raise ...sorry, I’ll move on now.

We tell Shiela about what we know of the location of the next shard and she goes to look at her books, our description apparently triggering a memory. She chooses one and points out where she thinks it is, The Guilt Spur, which is an old Thasalonian ruins deep into the storval plain in Varisia. Cause thinking to hide the shard in a ruin from the time it was created is so surprising. I’m being sarcastic but I bet we could save some time if we just searched the Thasalonian ruins that are known throughout the land.

The Guilt Spur is located deep into the plains of Varisia in a mountain range and Shiela suggests we buy a teleport to the mountains. However that is too expensive so we plan on taking my boat to Riddleport with a feather token or two.

9 - 4 - 4715

We arrived on the eighth actually, spent the night in Riddleport, and then left on the ninth.

17 - 4 - 4715

We made it to the Storval Stair Mountain range. I’m beginning to think the teleport wasn’t too expensive after all.

29 - 4 - 4715

Yeah, the teleport wouldn’t have been too expensive.

Around ten thirty in the morning we enter a wide valley with a wooden structure at the bottom, dwarfed by a green blue spur springing up from the ground. Around the spur are stockades and wooden towers. There is a ledge in the back on which sit three giant ballistae, and each of those switchbacks (or ledges) on the back wall is apx thirty feet up. Manning these towers are giants, one on each tower.

At about 100 paces out, as we are attempting to sneak closer, one of the giant spots us and grabs at his mammoth tusk horn I am able blast him but he survives and sounds the alarm. Then he and the giant opposite him ontop of the barricade both open the gates. Out of which two mastadon riding giants come rushing out. Combat is once again joined.
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top