The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Lettters of Correspondence  EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Lettters of Correspondence

Go down

Lettters of Correspondence  Empty Lettters of Correspondence

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:16 am

23rd Abadius 4715
Colin Marcus, C/O Pathfinder Society. 

Greetings friend, I hope this message finds you healthy and well. 

I don't know if word has reached you yet or not, but I am currently stationed on the Isle of Terror, Kestrillion. Ryn turned me on to this place, and if you cross paths please pass on whatever I tell you. If you weren't aware, there is a mage trying to reestablish the island of Kestrillion as a thriving community and I'm doing what I can to help. It's every bit as dangerous as you suppose, and I have in fact already died once. Thankfully that was reversed. 

The reason for the letter is seeking information. The island is steeped in Thessalonian lore and the wizard claims to be Thassalonian by heritage. The grapevine states you're in an excellent position right now for both. 

I met the wizard Zaistrun Garess, formerly of Novastasia. Impressive meeting to be sure, and I have little doubt that his reputation is well deserved. He seems sincere in trying to restore Kestrillion to its former glory, and Lissala herself for that matter. He's tough to read, but I do not believe he's an evil necromancer planning to sacrifice the unprepared townsfolk to his dark god and the island of undead... But like I said, he's a tough read. Any information you can provide on this man would be helpful. Last thing the world needs is another new Runelord. 

Lissala is another topic that I am getting mixed answers about. My limited knowledge of Lissala is that she is legitimately evil. The rumors here seem to be that she is simply neutral or perhaps that she was neutral, but was corrupted or tricked into being evil??  I'm curious what the Pathfinders have recorded on the subject. I'm suspicious by nature as you know, and this whole thing has the hair on my neck standing up. 

Finally, what have you heard of a 'Nosferatu queen'? We ran into one here that also appears to be a Nymph, though I had never heard of the two being combined before. One of the fighters who claims to have closed the Worldwound was unable to stop her, and she was able to take a Symbol of Healing without dusting. She also turned into a bunch of... moths? It was definitely one of the more intense encounters I've had here. 

Any information would be appreciated. Until then, stay safe, and hopefully stay bored! 

Till there's nothing left to hunt, 
Dorian Hellslinger, 
Sons of Night.

Last edited by Colin Marcus on Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lettters of Correspondence  Empty Re: Lettters of Correspondence

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am

Calistril 3rd, 4715
Dorian Hellslinger 
Kestrillion? C/O Bob the Pathfinder. 

My friend, you have the weirdest luck. You both asked the exact right questions, at exactly the wrong time. Had your letter arrived a week earlier, I would have asked our esteemed Thassalonian historian Penelope Quink your questions and she probably would have recited the answers from memory. However, just last week she was reassigned on a different assignment and is not around, so I will do what I can to research on my own. Thanks for that. 

First, Nosferatu Queen? Nosferatu are Vampires as I'm sure you're already aware. The term typically applies to one of the older strains of vampirism. What sets them apart is that they typically aren't the 'eternally young' variety. They are still near immortal, but they still age. Typically bitter and angry and solitary creatures. Still the typical means to destroy should still work. Stakes, beheading, sunlight. They are still vampires. There isn't a specific 'hierarchy' that's universally recognized... So a 'queen' is probably a local title, but the fact that she took a 'symbol of healing' without dying is concerning to say the least. From what I'm reading about Kestrillion, anything there is going to be ancient to say the least, and Vampires tend to get more powerful with age. So be extremely careful.  

Vampire Nymph? Nothing I've personally encountered... however certainly not beyond belief. If a Nymph was killed by a Vampire, you'll get a vampire nymph.  Big difference is that Nymphs tend to be forest creatures and Vampires prefer to hunt in urban settings where the prey is common. Still, while I'm sure the story of how she came to be would be interesting... it's not unbelievable in any case. Warning, she will probably still have her Nymph powers as well as what the Nosferatu gave her.  The moths sound like her swarm form... I'm more accustomed to bats or rats... mist even, but again, not something that I would be too worried about in itself. If anything, a swarm of moths sounds LESS dangerous than rats and bats. Let me know any more information as it comes. My curiosity is piqued now. 

That is what I already know... here is what I was able to track down. Regrettably I can't devote too much time to this as I'm hip deep in my own adventures right now. Boredom isn't on the table. I am curious whether your problems and mine are tied together, but also there is a lot that needs to be kept secret right now. I'll explain what I can. Basically the key point is that the Runelords aren't nearly as 'ancient history' a threat as we believed. At least two, possibly three may have risen again and the Pathfinder Society is doing what it can to be prepared if any others wake up. Which brings us to...

Zaistrun Garess. Word has it that he is a friend and ally to the Pathfinder Society. He was involved in setting up a Lodge in Novastasia, a new kingdom in the River Kingdoms. Prior to that, he was a younger son of the noble House Garess based out of western Brevoy. Information is sketchy at this point, but I see no sign of any Thassalonian influence on the Garess line. At least from his fathers side. I have nothing on his mother so as of now, I'm skeptical of his claim. I did however meet a Zander Garess. A brother by my belief. He had ioun stones implanted in his skin... which is both unusual and a power that shouldn't be taken lightly. He was incredibly arrogant and I suspect powerful enough to back up the boasts. According to the rumors, his brother outshines him in every way. 

What I have heard is that he was involved in awakening Runelord Krune. The second of the Runelords to awaken, I have already interviewed Nuari the Dwarf in Sandpoint who fought the Runelord Karzoug, the first of them, I actually wish we could interview Zaistrun as well to know what really happened in that battle. Until then, I have only what is recorded. Krune awoke, there was a mighty battle and Zaistrun and his allies left, with Zaistrun wielding the Dragontooth spear that Krune was known for. 
The following is entirely theorycraft and I do not have enough information to actually act on it. What I can say for certain is this. The Runelords are powerful and tricky. They planned ahead for their eventual rebirth and what I've read... concerns me. 

What if....  What if, Zaistrun is not Zaistrun anymore. What if in defeating Krune, The soul of the Runelord overtook the body of the young sorcerer? He wields his weapon. Supposedly a sentient weapon at that. His power has grown exponentially since the founding of the Novastian Lodge. Most importantly, Krune was a priest of Lissala. Now Zaistrun is trying to reawaked that same dead faith. Even his appearance is rumored to be covered in gems and runes since he helped slay some other planar Avatar. Again... I'm working with the reports I have copies from in a short time. I can't verify these myself. 

I may be way off base here, but I'm drowning in the mischief caused by Runelords right now. One of my new companions just died on my last outing... and reawoken in a cloned body of the Runelord Sorshen. Apparently some kind of contingency that was set in place 10,000 years ago. By all I can tell, it's still Bri'Ellyith Quink. However, if in the coming months I'm dead and you hear that Sorshen has returned to usher in a new age of darkness.... There you go. Trust nothing when it comes to Runelords. 
Finally. Lissala. 

Frankly, I'm not the best person to research this. I tend to bring my own bias and suspicions into my research. Something I need to remedy, but I'm not there yet. You're the priest, not I and my opinions of the gods are sometimes lacking. However, this is what I have. 

First the basics. Lissala is the goddess of Fate, Runes and rewards of service?? Once a major religion in Thassalon, now almost unheard of. Her domains of influence are the following: Knowledge, Law, Runes, Nobility... and Evil. Once upon a time, she was 'only' a Demigoddess in Azlant when Xin followed her. Back then She was only interested in Knowledge, Law, Runes, Nobility... It was actually when she added Evil to her list that she gained her fifth domain and ascended to full godhood. Her followers after that believed in things like burning runes into their body to acquire knowledge. Rune Giants are still followers, though the only place they've been found in recent days was Xin-Shalast... at least according to Nuari. I have encountered a cult following Lissala in Riddleport. I couldn't wipe them out, there were too many, and that wasn't our mission... but we were able to kill one of their torturers. So that eased my conscience some. Yeah, her current worship involves a torture chamber. Take of that what you will.  

For the most part... I agree with you. She's pretty evil and the world is better off without her influence or followers.  Again, I have a somewhat jaded view of Thassalon, Xin and the whole Virtues of Rule crap myself. I think the whole idea was romanticized in the old stories and was never 'virtuous'. Without getting into too many classified details right now, I have it on personal knowledge that Xin created artifacts directly tied to the 'virtues' that helped him rule... and every single piece of it inherently cursed with 'sin'. The Sin was not a corruption of the virtue. In some situations,  the virtue can break the curse of the Sin.... but the Sin is there first. It's inherent. The Runelords came after, and somewhere in there Lissala embraced Evil... but even prior to that Xin and the Virtues were still more Sin than Virtue. 

For the most part, I've had little use for the gods... but let me give you something to think about. Do gods change people, or do people change gods? It's my understanding that should you start sacrificing babies or I don't know... Salt some farmland, you would no longer be a priest of Erastal correct? You would be an Ex-priest. You would do something that your patron god finds so heretical to his goals that any power you have would be cut off. 

Based on that philosophy, I don't personally think anyone could 'corrupt' Lissala... and I don't think anyone can 'redeem' her. I think embracing Evil is what made her a full god, and I doubt anyone who acquires that power is going to willingly regress to a demigod. If there are evil priests running around gaining powers and blessings from Lissala... then that really tells us all we need to know. They're doing her will, and they aren't 'ex-cultists'. And personally, any god who allows evil done in their name and DOESN'T consider it heretical is just as bad. 
But again, I'm not the priest. You know more about that philosophy stuff than I. 

Either way, It was good to hear from you. Send more information when you can. I'm intrigued now. 

If you need any help, just send word. 
Colin Marcus. 
Sons of Night
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum