The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Autumn 1372  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Autumn 1372

3 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 2 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:59 am

In the middle of Vailis' speech, the stunned priestess had taken her cue from the elf and fallen heavily back into her chair. The thought that the Morninglord may have sent the vision not as a call to action, but as a gift to be accepted or denied by their choosing, shocked her.

A gift... It was only eight months ago, she and Elric had been granted the power to perform the dual Memory Reads. An experience that would never be taken for granted! Before that Lathander had freed her from Cyric's Curse. Prayers from friends and family answered. And now this?

In her short life, Ashara felt as if she'd been blessed a thousand times more than she could have expected, and infinitely more than she deserved. It was humbling and overwhelming... Dropping her eyes to her lap, the young woman fiddled with her fingers a bit before Elric's question to Vailis brought her back to the present. The old priest was truly doing what he could to avoid where this conversation was heading...

"Tell me... have you ever heard of the Seekers of the Dawn?"

"I haven't," she smiled softly, after another moment of brain wracking, "though by the name, I think we might have a few things in common."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 2 Empty Re: Autumn 1372

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 pm

The priest chuckled. "Quite a few things in common actually." His gaze drifted off to the ceiling as he wracked his memory for details.

"When I was a lad, my family lived in the ancient forest of Cormanthyr. Semberholme to be exact. I left many, many years ago when I had a fire in my own blood for seeing the world. Most of my people stayed behind... for a while. They're all gone now. About thirty years ago they abandoned the old places to the humans and monsters... Most have Retreated to Evermeet, some are here..." he said with sad tone.

"While I was out chasing Dragons and young maidens, my people were there for the sole purpose of protecting our own, and when possible protecting others. People who entered the forest without the proper respect were either sent back the way they came, or if too persistent killed. There are dark things in the forest of Cormanthyr... Dangerous things...

"Years ago... By MY reckoning of course, at least a hundred years or so... I saw a cousin of mine. He told me a most peculiar tale. Apparently the elves of the Elven Court had permitted humans into the lost city. I felt it was a death sentence, but apparently they were so eager..."

He looked at the two people he cared so much about and wondered if he was giving them the same death sentence. The boy had a peculiar look on his face... like he was wracking his own memory, while the woman was completely absorbed in his story.

"They called themselves the 'Seekers of the Dawn'. According to them, the god of the dawn had appeared to them. Gave them a holy mission. Lathander was not known to my cousin, but apparently they had a holy relic of such impressiveness they gained audience to the Elven Court. Never since the Weeping War, had the elves allowed humans into the city, but this time they did." Vailis heard Elric take a sharp breath, and knew that the half-elf had realized what he spoke of.

"I don't know if the Seekers were simply persuasive, or if my people were already on the verge of Retreat, and simply gave up their Guardianship... but the Seekers of the Dawn were allowed to build their Dawnspire temple in the fallen city of Myth Drannor."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:20 am

Ashara looked back and forth between the two men, who apparently knew much more about what was going on here than she seemed to! She definitely needed to spend some quality time studying with Erolon in the libraries of the Spires of the Dawn...

Myth Drannor. She'd heard the name, but only in whispers and bards' tales. A place of sorrow and danger. Inhabited by creatures of a less than savory nature....

"So... These Seekers of the Dawn built a temple in a ruined city over a century ago, and you believe that the vision I've received is directing us there? To Myth Drannor in the forest of Cormanthor? To the Dawnspire..."

As the name escaped her lips, that same warmth and longing that filled the dream came over her powerfully. Surprised by the force of it, she sucked in a sharp breath and instinctively reached out for Elric's hand. The priestess had her answer...

Ashara squared her shoulders and leaned forward eagerly in her seat. "You said you felt that these people were going to their deaths. Why, Vailis? What was it that the city fell to, and what exists there now?

"Elric, you know of this place too?" she asked, her eyes shifting to her husband to sat beside her, still agape at the news.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 2 Empty Elric / Vailis Hawksong

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Elric nodded dumbfoundedly. Vailis snickered. "Your husband knows almost as much as I do! They were the only lessons that he never fell asleep during." As he watched the half-elf's ears turn red, his voice softened. "Made perfect sense though..."

"The City of Song, City of Love.." Elric spoke up before Vailis could embarass him further. "Myth Drannor was once the most beautiful of all the elven cities, The capital of the nation of Cormanthyr... When the human's started getting too close, and too numerous, the Coronol of Cormanthyr made a decision. Instead of warring with his neighbors to the doom of everyone... he opened the doors wide and invited everyone in..."

His voice held less fear and more excitement than Vailis' did. "Elves and humans, dwarves, and halflings.... Everyone who was 'good' was welcomed into the city and they lived in peace. They combined their talents and skills, worked together in harmony... and together they created a city the bards still mourn today..." Though the excitement was there, a small undercurrent of longing was there too. A half-remembered wistfullness of a place where everyone had been accepted for who they were.

"Well... As the bards tell it anyway." Vailis interjected. "There's no such thing as a world without predjudice, and Coronol Eltigrim's decision was not a popular one. Many elves fought back, or simply left rather than see 'lesser' races invade their land....but Myth Drannor was fact. It DID prosper in it's own version of harmony for over Four hundred years... Each race learned from the others to the betterment of them all. Until the war."

Elric nodded sadly. "Demon's invaded the city. Collected soldiers from ever evil race you can think of and laid siege... The Weeping War lasted over three years... The number of dead was never accurately tallied. Depending on the bard telling the story, it grows or shrinks with the crowd."

"Fifty four Thousand" Vailis clarified. "That's how many people were in the city when the war started. Many escaped. Even More did not. The Armathors and Heroes of Myth Drannor bought as much time as possible... at the cost of their own lives."

"Heroes... is what Myth Drannor is about, Ashara... " Elric said with a glossy gaze. "I can tell you stories of dozens of heroes... Elves and Human's side by side... The Bane's Duel between Aulmpiter the nycaloth and Captain Fflar. It lasted two whole days... Even the story of the final flight... where Lord Grathgor Hawksong, and Lady Leilatha Aunglor held back the horde for the last of the survivors."

"Every Elven family, and many non-elven families if they look hard enough, can trace someone of note to the Weeping War. Mine included..." Vailis said. Though despite his dismissive words, his chest did puff out some with pride.

The priest continued the lesson. "Myth Drannor fell to the Army of Darkness. It became a tomb for thousands of souls, and it's still dangerous today... In time the elves that fled regrouped and fought back, they destroyed the better part of the Army... and dispersed the rest. The city was dead though. Eltigrim's dream was over... We never resettled it."

The elf gave a wistful sigh of his own... "Even without the Army or the Nycaloths... The city is a death trap... The Mythal had been badly damaged and is... unpredictable. My people considered it sacred ground, and did their best to keep everything they could out... well... with the exception of dragons... They let a couple of them in as 'fitting guardians' it was said... However there were many gates and portals and extra dimensional spaces in that City of Magic... I beleive that in the rush, many were left open."

"Did you ever see it?" Elric questioned.

"No... my people never went back in, nor did anyone else... For centuries people have been trying to 'aquire' the secrets of Myth Drannor. With good cause. It's been rumored that in a city that magical... that there is just magic lying around."

He sighed heavily then shrugged his shoulders. "I imagine there IS! The citizens of Myth Drannor had faith in the mythal, the heroes, and themselves. Three years into the war and it never occured to them they may lose! When the call came to retreat, few were prepared. They grabbed whatever items were most important, powerful, or sentimental and fled... What was left behind or dropped I couldn't begin to guess...

"What is left now... I don't know. After my people abandoned the woods, Adventurers flooded Cormanthyr. Everyone, and everyTHING seems to be drawn to the place in order to find power or make a name for themselves... Few return though... Those that do count their blessings..."

Elric nodded. "I've heard in taverns and bards everything from demons to undead, to monsters and dragons all in that city... I don't know if they're 'padding' the story some... but the ones that claim first hand knowledge... they have a 'look' in their eyes that makes me believe them..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:28 pm

After blowing out a long breath, Ashara leaned back in her chair and raked her fingers through her recently loosed hair. When Vailis first mentioned that priests of Lathander built a temple in a ruined, abandoned city, it hadn't made much sense to her, but now...after hearing what the city was... What it represented?! The Morninglord's purpose seemed clear. The ancient city was a shining example of interracial harmony! A place where the goodly races could strive together toward more perfect cooperation and pursuit of the arts and progress! To build a temple in this place was to begin the restoration of Hope, that such a thing may be achieved once again... Hope that Myth Drannor might be reborn! Powerful companions these Seekers must have been...or are...to be blessed with such a task!

It was no secret why Elric would have retained these particular history lessons. Myth Drannor must have been the embodiment of a dream the half elven boy would never realize in his young life...

"Well then! Demons, undead, monsters, dragons, broken mythals... I can't imagine why you were hesitant to tell us this information, Vailis," she grinned wryly at the old priest.

Ashara's hand drifted to her jeweled medallion and she began twisting it absentmindedly as she thought aloud. "Maybe whatever holy relic the Seekers brought with them, protected them from the darkness that undoubtedly exists outside the walls. Could the relic be the Endless Dawn itself? Perhaps that's why the Elven Court let them in!" The priestess' excited voice once again began rising and picking up speed as the idea developed. "Lathander wouldn't have sent his followers into danger without some way of defending themselves, and surely the elves wouldn't have knowingly sent them to their deaths! They must have had a good reason to believe that the humans would be relatively safe!"

She stopped suddenly and blushed, realizing that she was making a LOT of hopeful assumptions...

"In such a dangerous environment, do you know if the Dawnspire still stands?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 2 Empty Vailis Hawksong

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:26 am

The priest shrugged his shoulders. "I have no idea. It was a very long time ago, and I've heard no mention of them since. They may still be a force for good in that dark place... or they could have met the same fate as everyone else."

He gave the priestess a weak smile. "I do not believe Lathander would send them to certain doom... the elves I'm less certain of. Though regardless of the weapons and magic they took, survival in such a place is more luck than skill." He nodded again at the divine weapon at her side. "All the divine help in the world doesn't change the arm that swings it. Still... Lathander seems to approve of your mission, and I personally don't believe he would send you in there without a decent chance of survival..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:21 am

She nodded slowly in agreement with Vailis' wise words. The Champions had been in more than enough ridiculously dangerous situations for her to recognize that luck did indeed play a factor in living through battles with demigods and dracoliches... Perhaps some of her companions would disagree, but she was not arrogant enough to believe that it was skill alone that gave them those victories. In fact, had it not been for the intervention of Lathander himself down in Dagadar, those mines would have become their tomb...

Ashara turned her eyes to her husband and smiled.

"What do you think, A'maelamin? A journey halfway across Faerun, danger and adventure at every turn, you and I battling side by side against monsters and worse..."

She was beginning to feel some of that 'fire in the blood' that Vailis kept mentioning, and found herself wishing that the old elf wasn't sitting right there with them.

"It seems as if we get to choose our path. Do you believe the reward to be worth the risk?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 2 Empty Elric / Vailis Hawksong

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:12 am

Elric's eye's danced as he nodded his head vigorously, grinning from ear to pointed ear. "I can't believe it... I'm actually going to see Myth Drannor! WE get to see Myth Drannor!!! Together! "

Vailis fought the instinct to roll his eyes, and instead found himself shaking his head in defeat. No words of his was going to change their minds.

"Very well... I've said all I could to talk you out of it. I don't know what else to do... Other than go with you..." He smiled at the surprised look on Elric's face. Vailis may speak fondly of his 'glory' days, but the priest hadn't been adventuring in quite some time. "Don't worry you two... Even if I didn't think I'd be a third wheel, I have entirely too many responsibilities here to go traipsing off through the trees."

He stood up from the table with a determined look. "Don't go leaving just yet... I just thought of something, I'll not be gone long..." Quickly he turned and walked thorugh a doorway leading to his personal study.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:52 am

The span of only a few heartbeats passed between when Vailis exited the room and when the young priestess pounced upon her warrior husband, crushing him to the back of his chair in a great hug and a shower of enthusiastic kisses.

"The Everdawn Blade, to be purified in the light of the Endless Dawn before being accepted by Lathander himself!" Even while trying to keep quiet, Ashara's voice trembled with excitement. "What a grand adventure lies before us in this broken and evil infested city! I want you to tell me all of it, Elric! All of the stories of all of the heroes that fought and died in that place! We should have plenty of time," she chuckled, as she twisted a lock of his hair about her finger. "Cormanthor is no small distance!

"Would you want to find a caravan to travel with again? I'm sure there must be something heading eastward in the next few days... We could always use magic if you wish to get there sooner, but I think I'd enjoy the journey nearly as much as the destination!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 2 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 am

"Ohh... I'll tell you EVERYTHING I know... or at least remember!" He laughed under the sudden onslaught and was even able to return some of the kisses himself. "I may even remember some of the old songs..." He said in a tone that left no doubt, he DID remember...

"Eldorath has been there..." he said excitedly. "Granted, not during the Weeping War... but he HAD been there in all it's glory. I've seen maps and heard stories... I'm SURE we can do this!!! Of course... that was before the Dawnspire.... So I have no idea WHERE in the city it was built... But that just means we'll have to explore MORE!"

The half-elf was trembling with excitement. He chuckled as he realized what a spectacle he was making. He took a deep breath to calm himself. "Let's go by Caravan! It'll give me more time to tell you about the city... We can start making inquiries today!!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm

"Wonderful!" Ashara beamed at him. "I'd love to hear the songs as well! Whoever will be traveling with us in this caravan, will be in for a real treat," she grinned, eyes sparkling with excitement.

Not wanting to embarrass Elric in front of his old teacher, she quickly lifted herself off of his chair and settled herself back down in her own.

"I do rather hope we have the opportunity for another day or two here in Evereska...there's still so much of the city I haven't seen, but I suppose we should get back on the trail as soon as possible. It'll only be getting colder as the days pass by!"

Just as she'd finished straightening her dress and smoothing out her hair from her assault on the half elf, Vailis glided back into the room.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 am

The old elf looked back and forth between the two seated before him. The half-elf was trying his hardest not to laugh, and Ashara definitely looked like she was hiding something. He just shook his head and stood at the table. Carefully he laid a bundle down.

"If you insist on doing this thing... there's a few things I would like to say first." He paused expecting the frustrated sight from his former student that he knew so well. However none actually came. Either the half-elf had matured somewhat, or he was finally interested in a lesson.

"First... I know this should go without saying... but do NOT become tomb robbers." Before the priestess could object he cut her off. "I know... I know... it just had to be said. If even half the rumors are true... there will be more than enough souvenirs scattered about. After nearly seven centuries abandoned, Any claim to the items in that city are more than forfeit. Not everyone will agree of course... But the salvage rights of treasure differ wherever you go. However, things buried with the dead should stay with the dead. Disturbing their rest only leads to... unpleasantness." Guilt forced him to say these things... despite the fact he was certain no Morninglord of Lathander would allow the disturbing of the dead.

"Second... Safety will be hard to come by, There may be a few places left in the city that haven't been desecrated, but there are no guarantees. If you find yourself in true overwhelming trouble... try to find someplace safe... something defensible." It was a foolish warning that two such renouned adventurers must have known themselves. "Were it me, I would recommend a place... where you are strong or have the advantage, these spots will be rare. If you can find the Dawnspire, then you'll have a chance. Your god's presence should be stronger than anywhere else there. If all else fails try to find the temples and shrines of the other gods... What is despoiled and what isn't will be difficult to know... but in that place, you'll be needing all the help you can get.

"Finally..." This would be a little harder for them to accept. "I have heard a lot about this sword. Your plans... your goals... the symbol for all who come after you." He stopped and made sure he had their undivided attention. "Remember... It's JUST a sword. Whatever happens, It's metal beaten into form by mortal men. That's it!

"If anything happens, and this quest fails... it means NOTHING. The sword is not the love you share for each other... it is not an indication of your own worth, or your offspring... It is just a sword. "

Everyone was quiet for a moment as he let his words sink in. Elric looked like he'd just been slapped, which is what the priest had intended. He didn't want any foolishness costing him these two. "Just a sword... If ever the choice is certain death, or abandoning the quest.... I sincerely hope you drop the sword and run! Protect each other. THAT's where the strength of your family name will come from... Not a sword."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:35 am

Ashara's eyes narrowed ever so slightly at Vailis' words...even more so when she FELT Elric wince beside her.

He was wrong. So said her heart at least.

It was NOT just a sword! That blade was a link to Elric's father! She'd watched her husband quietly open the case on occasion just to look at it and to feel the weight of it in his hand. It tugged at her heart... She wished she do something to fill that void in his life, but to have lost a father...to never really have known him... Ashara knew a little about that.

That 'hunk of metal' symbolized the birth of a new family and the creation of a history were there had been none before. Few things in her life gave her as much joy as imagining that one day, many generations down the line, that some Everdawn somewhere will wield that sword in the pursuit of good and to defend their family!

She hoped that one day when their faces had all but been forgotten, that their names...what the two of them stood for, would be remembered by their children's children's children. It was more than a weapon. It was to become a link from one generation to the next.

Vailis knew all that though... Knew it, and still had the audacity to so coldly speak those words.

Her heart may not have been completely on board with the idea, but in her mind, Ashara knew he was right.

Whatever the sword might symbolize to them, they were the ones creating this new family and history, and she would not risk any injury to the man seated beside her for the sake of an item. Precious as it may be, Elric was more so.

The priestess sighed sadly. She shot her husband a little smile of support before turning to the elven priest and nodding her agreement.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:08 pm

"Now that I've said my peace, I truly do hope you succeed. Lathander seems to support your intentions, and despite the danger you two are so eager to chase... that gives me hope. I believe the Morninglord has great things planned for the two of you."

He smiled weakly as Elric seemed to perk back up. He couldn't imagine how devastated the boy would be if he walked out of that cursed forest with a magical sword, but without his wife... Still he'd do everything he could to help them.

"I've said everything I can to talk you out of it... Now let me see what I can do to help you!" he pointed to the wrapped bundle on the table. "I haven't adventured in many, many years... but I still have a few keepsakes..."

He reached down and handed Ashara a backpack with several pouches. "I imagine that there will be a lot of running in this place, and I don't want you so loaded down with souvenirs, that you're easily caught and eaten... I believe that is one reason so few people make it out... This won't solve the problem, but it may help. This pack is bigger on the inside, and much lighter regardless what you put in it... It should help."

To Elric he held out a rod about two and half feet long. "This is my old Rod of Healing... Back when i never seemed to have enough healing spells it saved many a dear companion. Your wife is stronger than I ever was, but if she finds herself unable to cast... this may keep HER on her feet."

Elric reached out and took it happily. The wood was smooth and it had the holy symbol of Correllon carved on the top. As his hand closed around the item, something peculiar happened. As soon as the wood touched the ring on his left hand, the ring Ashara had made for him, the mithril band erupted into blue fire. Startled he dropped the rod and started to shake his hand. The fire didn't go out, but neither did it burn. Vailis erupted into laughter.

"Not Funny..." Elric said cooly, as the cleric wiped tears from his eyes.

"No... It was a little funny." he said as he slowly regained control. "My fault really... Almost forgot it could do that..." He reached down and scooped up the rod. "This was carved from Weirwood. That kind of wood has three things for which is known for. First. it does not burn. Well... not naturally." he corrected himself. "Magical fire will still damage it, but if you threw this into a burning building, it would still be fine when the ashes cooled. It used to be popular for building homes, at least before it became so rare...."

"Second... musicians find the tone and pitch unmatched when used to make instruments... That has no bearing here..."

He looked at the half-elf again and chuckled. "Lastly, and this MAY come in handy out there... Contact with weirwood will cause magical aura's to glow with Fairy fire... Anywhere from moments to minutes... but if you're curious if an item has been enchanted... feel free to touch it with the rod, that should remove any doubts."

He looked carefully at the two of them... "Now I don't know what to tell you about the things you may find... The Weeping War was chaos personified. Traditionally I would suggest never using anything magical till its been properly identified... but I don't know... Its POSSIBLE some cursed items may have been left as a trap... but personally I doubt it. I think they were more interested in survival than setting traps behind for others... and if you find something that could save your life... I don't know. You'll just have to use your own judgement."

Elric was speechless. "Thank you Vailis... I, WE really appreciate all your help."

"Don't thank me yet!" the elf interrupted. "These items are not gifts... They are LOANS. They have great sentimental value to me, and I FULLY expect you to come back and return them to me..." His voice softened as he added, "I expect BOTH of you to come back..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 pm

The priestess stood and shouldered the backpack before reached out to clasp Vailis' arm.

"I assure you, Aradoness, these items will be returned, and you know of course that I will do everything in my power to keep the boy safe in spite of himself," she grinned at the two men.

"All the help you've provided...not just with these magical things we're taking on loan, but with the research you've done regarding the blade and wisdom you've offered on our behalf... It is very much appreciated! I promise your words have not fallen upon deaf ears, even though the are human..."

Youthful exuberance sparkled in her eyes, and she smiled brightly at the old elf. The beginning of a new venture was always thrilling. Filled with hope and promise of grand adventure, new stories to tell and new songs for Elric to write... Ashara was very much looking forward to expressing her gratitude to Lathander during Dawn prayers the next morning!

"For the record, I think we both would've loved your company along the road," she said with sincerity. "Maybe someday you could take a short vacation from your duties here to join us on our travels. I don't believe for a second that that fire in your blood has completely died out!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:20 am

"I appreciate the offer my dear, but my adventuring days are behind me I think." Though his words seemed sincere, they both saw a familiar sparkle in his eye that adventurers knew too well. There was little doubt that someday Vailis Hawksong would leave the confines of the city again in search of a quest that would quicken his pulse a bit more than running a temple.

"Instead I'll choose to live vicariously through the two of you... Whenever you have time, my door is always open. I'll want to hear all the stories you have to tell. If the patrols have a short memory, just give them my name... I'll see to them."

Elric smiled gratefully. Perhaps the dream of showing his wife a true elvish festival wasn't lost yet! He couldn't repress a smile as he pictured her reaction... When the elves threw a party, they made the 'scandolously revealing Sun Robes of Lathander' seem downright conservative. She'd seen a glimpse in the memory read, though the festival itself was just the background of that particular awkward memory... Perhaps they could make some good memories at one!

"Vailis?" Elric asked almost as an afterthought. "You know the area a bit better... Would you recommend flying over the city... hopefully reconnaissance the temple out?"

"No." The elf shook his head. "It's not something I recommend at all. We didn't have quite the flying mounts we do here... but we never flew OVER the city. Remember, anytime you have a clear view of the ground... anything on the ground can see YOU. Myth Drannor has many threats... and not all are land bound. Unless your comfortable fighting a flock of demons or gargoyles or anything else with wings from the back of a chariot... I'd be very careful.

"Also... one last warning, The mythal surrounding that city, was one of the first of it's kind. It was designed and powered for the sole purpose of protecting the inhabitants, and stopping invaders. It's been damaged beyond measure, through either general neglect.. or even the numerous attacks to the weave over the centuries. The Time of Troubles was a big one..." He shook his head as he remembered the chaos that ensued when the gods walked the world.

"Do not trust the mythal... Few remember what it was supposed to do... nobody is sure what it does NOW. I don't know how magic will work, or what will work. I'd hate for you to be flying over the city when your chariot disappears, or something worse... People who have been adventurers for a very long time... well experienced, legends in their own right have walked those streets never to be seen again. Keep it in mind when you get there."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:14 am

The bright smile diminished ever so slightly at the mention of unpredictable magic. It was one thing if Faerie Fire didn't function properly, but when Ashara was casting Heal, that Heal better go off or people could die...

She hoped her casting wouldn't prove to be more problematic than helpful within the boundaries of the broken mythal. At least she had Dawnspeaker. Under Elric's tutelage, Ashara had improved greatly in her martial prowess with a mace, but she was no warrior. She was confident she could hold her own against more mundane opponents...but demons?? Dragons?! No, the priestess preferred to let her husband do the heavy lifting in that case! Unless it became unavoidable...and it sounded like that might be the case where they were heading.

Ashara's brow furrowed for a split second before she took the Rod of Healing from the table and slipped it into the magical backpack. If casting became an issue, that would become invaluable! She also pocketed the scrolls of imbuing information and the account of the Dawngreeter who'd visited the Endless Dawn. It was possible they could find some of the other components along the road or even within the city...

After loading up the borrowed pack, the priestess glanced over at the unburdened half elf, who wore only the magical blade at his hip. She couldn't resist the grin and subsequent chuckles as she was reminded of the recently unearthed memories of playing knights and dragons as young children in Impresk. Ashara realized that on this journey with this bag, she would indeed be carrying his stuff!

When all the farewells had been said and the blessings of both Corellon and Lathander had been dispensed by their respective priests, the Everdawns walked out of the temple eager to set themselves on the road to adventure once more!
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 pm

The next afternoon found the exhuberant Everdawns somewhat more subdued. Their search for a caravan was not yielding the results they had hoped for. The season was getting late, and even this far south the snow would be flying soon. The few Caravans that were leaving didn't raise their hopes much.

"Three to four months..." a dejected Elric muttered as they poured over a map in the tavern called The Burnished Moon Blade. "With all the teleporting and flying chariots I keep forgetting how big this world is..." a sigh turned into a lopsided grin as he looked to his wife... "Though I guess that was kind of the point of Caravan traveling, wasn't it? See the world?"

He pushed the map away, leaned back in his chair and took a long drink of his elven wine. "What do you think? I see three options... 1) Just magic ourselves into the area... 2) spend most of the fall traveling and do our exploring in the coldest part of winter... or 3) Winter up somewhere, and continue in the spring..." His tone of voice said he didn't really like ANY of those choices...
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 am

The priestess chewed gently on her bottom lip as she recalculated the distances over and over in her mind. She'd hoped that she had made an error somewhere...

In spite of the minor setback, she decided to try and make the best of it. It's not that they didn't have options, it was just that they didn't have options that they particularly cared for. They'd figure something out. They always did!

"I'd much rather enjoy the travel than use magic," she replied to Elric. "We're not really in a hurry, but the idea of hibernating for the winter while I keep having these dreams of longing to find this place every few nights isn't really appealing either."

After a moment's thought, Ashara broke out laughing. "What am I saying!? Let's plan our trip in a year or two! That way I can keep having these dreams... They're MUCH more pleasant than the alternative!!" She sighed and shook her head so the half elf would know it was all in jest. Truth was, she didn't want to wait much longer than necessary now... FAR too excited at the prospect of seeing this Endless Dawn and exploring some of the legendary Myth Drannor! Not too excited however to deny herself the pleasure of the journey there.

Ashara sipped at her water and tried to ignore the occasional derisive glances from the elvish patrons. She'd tried the wine at Elric's request, but a single swallow was enough to tell her that merely draining a small glass of the potent liquid would put her under the table only to further degrade her species... If that was even possible in this place.

"If we've no other choices, I'd choose solution number two. For the following three reasons..." Having a little fun at her husband's expense, her lips turned up in teasing smile as she held three fingers in the air. "One, I don't mind traveling in the cold all that much, but I'm usually wearing at LEAST three layers of armor on top of any other clothing. Another advantage to my mithril shell," she winked. "Two, I have plenty of ways to keep the both of us warm in inclement weather. Three, some of those ways involve spell usage."

Laughing aloud again, and therefore drawing more nasty glances, the young woman stifled her mirth with a longer drink of water.

"Seriously though," she began in a voice that indicated she wasn't being completely serious. "If you'd prefer not to rely on magic use, I hear lard, when applied liberally to the skin, does an AMAZING job of keeping in body heat... Also, the same directions apply for roasting leaner cuts of meat, but that's neither here nor there..." After a brief fit of chuckles, the priestess wiped away a tear with a sigh, wondering if that single sip of wine had affected her.

"Maybe if we just head out there and when it gets too cold, we can simply wrap ourselves in all these MAPS we'll have with us by the time we..."

Ashara stopped, suddenly remembering part of the conversation with Vailis that she'd overlooked yesterday.

"Elric... Did you say you SAW a map of Myth Drannor? Actually get a good look at one??"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Elric's eyes bugged out as she suggested lard... and the resulting mental image caused him to start laughing, which caused him to choke on his wine. A few moments passed with tears in his eyes and when he could breath again he just shook his head and kept laughing.

A few more of the patrons were staring now, but Elric didn't care, and neither did the proprietors. The Burnished Moon Blade was popular amongst the adventurers in Everska, mostly because the owners were more tolerant of strange and unusual clientele... Elric had known it when he was younger, He'd listened to many a bard in this room... and it was one of the few places that hadn't thrown a fit when Kaber had tried to join them. The clientele however... They weren't always as forgiving.

"Ok.... I'd like to vote against slathering ourselves with anything that will make us look more appetizing to the monsters..." he said with a wink. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed a gold elf talking to the bartender and scanning the room.

"Yeah... I saw a map, it was a long time ago. You wouldn't believe the maps that Eldorath had... Would have made Eddick green with envy."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Excitement lit yet again in Ashara's eyes as he confirmed the viewing of the map of Myth Drannor. That was happening a lot lately...

"Perhaps it was a long time ago," she smiled, "but if you got a good glimpse at it, I may be able to dredge up that memory and make a sketch of the map. I realize that it would be of the Myth Drannor that was, but it could give us something to work with out there!"

As the words left her mouth, she began wondering if it would be that helpful at all. Who knows what kind of damage had been done to that city in the last centuries! Demons, dragons, undead... It was unlikely that it would even be recognizable from an old map!

The priestess shrugged and took another swallow of water.

"I thought the lard idea was quite clever, myself," she teased, "but I suppose there are other options that don't involve us becoming a fatty snack for a wandering monster."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:04 pm

"Quite right!" he chuckled. "If we have to kill some monsters, I'd prefer doing it quicker and more direct than THAT...

"So it's decided! Regardless of time or distance... we'll take the long road." He tried to keep the disappointment out of his voice as he took another look at the map. Honestly... he hadn't traveled through Cormyr since the first trip North with Eldorath. He didn't remember much of the place, this could be fun.

"The map may be in there some place... but I'm not sure where. I saw it when I was..." He looked toward the ceiling as he tried counting back. "Gahh... Twelve... Fourteen... I don't know..." He smiled at her again. He was a little surprised she'd suggested a memory read. Their anniversary wasn't for another few months.

"Y'know... If you want to take a look, It might be worth the effort." He'd never turn down a memory read session... even if this one would be much more one sided. Remembering her fear of absorbing his traits, he added, "Of course... there MAY be maps around here in the libraries or something we could see..."

Movement caught his eye and he looked back at the bartender still talking with the gold elf. The newcomer wore his copper hair tied back, and while well dressed, his clothes also seemed sturdy and well worn. When the bartender pointed their way, the half elf got a little concerned. When their eyes locked, he got very concerned.

He couldn't know what the elf wanted. Since returning to the city they'd kept a low profile. Unfortunately his mind still immediately jumped to assassin... but that hardly seemed likely. Carefully he slid his chair to side, freeing his legs from under the table, 'just in case.'

He nodded his head in the direction of the approaching elf and whispered. "Company incoming... Nobody I recognize, How about you?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:36 am

"I wasn't entirely sure they'd let us into the libraries anymore considering our reception at the gate, but perhaps if Vailis were to accompany us... You're right, it would be best to check there first," she finished with a tiny little sigh.

As much as she was looking forward to another Memory Read, there was definitely something to be said for waiting another five months for their anniversary as they'd agreed. By that time there should be some Myth Drannor memories to relive as well! IF however, the libraries didn't pan out, then maybe she'd bring up the subject again. You know...for the good of the quest...

"Company incoming... Nobody I recognize, How about you?"

She nodded a negative to Elric after a brief glance, then purposefully turned her eyes back to the map before them. Sun elves were notoriously haughty and especially touchy regarding N'Tel'Quessir... Ashara had no intention of offending this one inadvertently by staring a mite too long!

The priestess couldn't imagine this fellow was out to kill Elric, the bounty being lifted and all. Plus they were in a public place! Still, the young woman kept an eye out on the other side of them, just to be sure this elf wasn't coming at them with assistance!

Last edited by Ashara on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 2 Empty Elric/ Vaniion Echnorn

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:31 pm

"Pardon me..." a musical voice asked as the elf walked up to their table. "Might the two of you be the Everdawns I've heard so much about?"

Elric turned and gave the stranger his full attention. "Depends on what you've heard. I'm Elric Everdawn, this is my wife Ashara. What can we do for you?" He pointed to an open chair and the elf quickly accepted the invitation. The stranger had not made a threatening gesture, so Elric found himself starting to relax.

"My name is Vaniion Echnorn," he said in a tone that indicated that should be enough. Seeing the blank stares of the young couple, he sighed and continued. "Word has it you have been searching for transportation east, and that you seem to favor speed. Is that so?"

"It is..." Elric answered hesitantly. "I'm not sure I'd have put it that way, but we would have prefered to be in the Dalelands before winter. You make it sound like we're running from something."

"No no no.... I meant nothing of the sort! Forgive me..." he apologized quickly. "I've just heard you had turned down a couple of my colleagues because you were hoping for a faster journey. I 'may' be able to help with that... if you are interested?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:05 pm

"Quite interested," Ashara smiled politely after shooting Elric a look of pleasant surprise, "at least in hearing what you propose... We're definitely searching for a more expeditious journey yes, and hoping to find work with a caravan. Are you looking to fill two such positions?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum