The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

A Meeting with the Monarch

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 Empty Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:11 am

Thaddeus relaxed visibly and gave his friend a sincere smile. "Thank you for the offer, I'm certain I'll accept a 'deception-free' sanctuary any time I can."

He thought for a moment about whether to say anything, but in their spirit of openness, decided to go for it. "You have peaked my curiosity about something though... How long have you had vision problems Wynnsaren? When we were tracking the bugbear, you were more observant then I... even at the castle, you don't move like someone who has poor eyesight... I had assumed your eyes were a part of your heritage... But is this a recent occurance?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 Empty Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:09 am

"Oh no, not recent at all," she responded with a shake of her head. "My father said when he found me that my eyes appeared this way and he eventually discovered that I could see nothing beyond about thirty feet.

"I've read that some aasimar have unusually colored eyes and most can see in darkness, but as for day-blindness, I've read nothing. Whether it's my heritage or the gods who have made me this way, I just don't know.

Wynnsaren smiled pleasantly as she continued. "And thank you for the compliment on my observation skills, but oh the headache I had that first evening I met you all!" She laughed. "I had to sleep with a cool waterskin over my eyes that night!

"Most of my perception is reliant upon my other senses, though yes, I can force my eyes into focus at a limited distance for tracking, searching and such, but I pay the price for it later. Adventuring and exploration during the day as you all have been doing for the past months takes something of a toll on me in that regard. It's worth it though... For the company it brings and for the good that's accomplished, it's certainly worth a bit of discomfort!"

The oracle rested her elbow on the arm of the chair and settled her chin on the back of her hand in thoughtful contemplation.

"If we might trade curiosity for curiosity, Your Highness," she chanced. "I have wondered how you came to Sarenrae. For my part, the gods seem to have found me at some point in my early life and I'm always interested to hear of others experiences with the gods. Do you believe that The Dawnflower found you, or was it you that found her?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

"Neither," Thaddeus answered with careful thought, "or perhaps both?

"There was a time that Sarenrae wasn't even a glimmer or thought in my mind... I had different goals. I have little doubt that should my own dreams been successful, my life would be in a very different place right now. I would be a very different person..."

He thought back to his months in New Stetven. "Swordlords... have a certain arrogance about them. A confidence that even if earned is off-putting. Which at the time was my goal. To be the greatest swordlord that Brevoy had ever seen."

He chuckled as he recalled the childish drive and the self centered goals of his early life. "However, some things aren't meant to be, and honestly, I'm glad of it.

"At the time however, I felt... emptier then I ever had before. A hole where a dream dies is hard to fill... Then I met Sir Tambor.

"He showed me something new... something that filled that hole. He was also a paladin of Sarenrae... and taught me about this strange goddess of mercy and second chances...

"Tambor... was an amazing warrior. However he was not the best. Half of his lessons focused more on his willingness to fight and less on his ability to win. He also taught me about the kinder side of religion. The healing, and the marriages... the births and deaths... Things you know all to well!"

He smiled as he thought of all the times he'd seen her around Akiros tending to the wounded or sick, the happy and the sad. Things that he did as well whenever he wasn't bogged down by paperwork.

"Sarenrae gave me a goal, a purpose that I hadn't known before... Just the idea, that the world can be a better place because I was here... it's humbling."

He looked down at his hands; hands that since he had started his spiritual journey could now heal the wounded, reinvigor the weary, or channel the fury of a goddess.

"Knowing that she sees what I do, and approves is humbling indeed."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55 pm

"You found each other then," Wynnsaren smiled after he'd finished the heartfelt tale, "and I'm not so blind that I am unable to see that you are both the better for it. A beautiful marriage of power and humility. Strength and mercy. You are her ambassador as I am yours, my king, and you do her a great service, for until recently I knew only of Sarenrae by name. Now I see her in you as if by reflection. Your people will see that as well and I've no doubt you will bring many into her fold by your actions and your quality of character."

The light from the windows of the tent had stretched long across the floor when the oracle first arrived, but now she noticed that they'd grown noticeably shorter as the sun rose overhead.

"Oh!" She startled at the evaporation of time. "Forgive me, but it seems I've played the thief with the better part of your morning already, King Thaddeus! I should take my leave so you might attend your more pressing business of the day."

Wynn reached down and wakened Glas from his slumber, but hesitated to rise herself as another matter occurred to her.

"Perhaps there is one more thing," she began. "I know how you wish you were able to be more involved in the spiritual matters of your people and I know how you long to find a true priest of your own ilk to tend to them in a fashion that you are most accustomed to. I am a poor substitute in both cases, but I have an opportunity for you this evening if you are so inclined.

"I have been asked to dinner by the family of one of your guards. They wish for me to bless their newly born daughter that I helped to deliver shortly after my arrival. One of the first children born in Novastasia.

"If you are not leaving for Restov until tomorrow, Your Highness, then perhaps you might wish to join me and give this tiny girl the blessing of Sarenrae as well. I can think of no better way to begin a new life than with the favor of Sun, Moon and Stars to guide her along her journey, and it would leave a lasting impression upon her family for generations to know that their king touched their lives in this personal way."

The aasimar grinned as she added, "And it just so happens that I've already asked if I could bring a guest along..."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 am

He smiled wide at the invitation. William was a good man, and though he tried to do his guardly duties seriously, even the king had heard him bragging about the new addition to his family to anyone who would listen.

"I would enjoy that very much," he said happily. "I had hoped to stop by there soon and offer my congratulations, but this works even better."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 pm

"Wonderful!" Wynn cheerfully replied, more than pleased that he'd accepted the offer.

She rose from her chair and curtsied grandly before the king.

"Then I look forward to meeting you later this evening, Your Highness, and thank you for letting us impose upon your schedule."

Glas reluctantly got to his feet beside the oracle and she scratched lovingly behind one of his tentacles. "And again," she added, "thank you for your understanding..."

The aasimar and the akata turned to leave Thaddeus to his regular duties, pausing only to offer him a smile of genuine appreciation before they walked out into the sunlight and the awning of the tent closed behind them.
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A Meeting with the Monarch - Page 2 Empty Re: A Meeting with the Monarch

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2