The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Tea with the Tian EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Tea with the Tian EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Tea with the Tian EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Tea with the Tian EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Tea with the Tian EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Tea with the Tian EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Tea with the Tian EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Tea with the Tian EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Tea with the Tian EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Tea with the Tian

2 posters

Go down

Tea with the Tian Empty Tea with the Tian

Post  TRU Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:31 am

11th of Gozren, second night of the Ruby Phoenix Tournament.

Emotions ran high at the festival. Only half an hour in and the crowd was already rowdy. As she walked toward the food tent Lien tried not to look at the people around her with disdain. They were all just trying to relax after a hard day of fighting, she tried to tell herself, just celebrate their victories or find comfort for their loses. No harm should come of this. Despite her self reassurance she couldn't shake that uncomfortable feeling, as if some integral part of her was at odds with the atmosphere. But she would put on a brave face, hold herself with dignity, for her to do anything else would be shameful.

Upon entering the tent Lien caught one of the workers' attention. With a polite bend at the waist she produced a well worn kettle and asked if they would be so kind as to fill it with hot water for drinking tea. The man was somewhat surprised by the request saying that he would see what he could do. He took the kettle and after a few minutes he brought it back full and steaming. He handed it back to Lien, strongly encouraging her to try the warm liquor instead, as it would bring her good luck and vitality. Lien simply bowed her thanks and walked away in search of her half-elven friend.

"Tackion," she called, holding two short, simple cups out in his direction. "Would you like to have some tea with me?"
TRU
TRU
Admin

https://cord.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tea with the Tian Empty Tackion

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:00 am

The partial dragon was watching everything. All around him people were drinking and either celebrating or commiserating the day's activities.  He couldn't hold that against them, even if he himself would never do such a thing.  To hold others to his standards however would be asking for failure.  He kept his body pure, no alcohol of any kind, and he was careful about what he ate.  

Despite the circumstances surrounding them, and even the possible danger, he couldn't help but smile when his keen ears heard his friend ask her question.

"Tackion," she called, holding two short, simple cups in her hand out in his direction. "Would you like to have some tea with me?"

He smiled warmly at the young Tian warrior, "It would be my pleasure."

He bowed slightly, respectfully, to her as he took the cups offered to him.  Idly he wondered if this was a simply tea between friends, or some type of ceremony.  If it was the latter, he hoped he wouldn't embarrass himself.  The last thing he wanted was to make a fool of himself in front  of her of all people.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Tea with the Tian Empty Kuroda Lien

Post  TRU Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:17 am

Lien returned Tackion's smile with one of her own. Motioning for him to have a seat at a nearby table. The table was a simple wooden structure with a long bench on either side. It was not unlike something one may see in Avistan though there was a definite Tian feel about it. With her free arm, Lien cleared away any little bits of debris left there by the table's previous occupants. She set the warn kettle down in front of her and snatched a small envelope out of her pocket before settling herself down.

"I have taken the liberty of buying a local tea when we got into town." She opened the lid of the kettle as she spoke, letting a puff of steam escape from it's scalding contents. Lien thanked the festival worker silently for giving her boiling water, and not the tepid stuff that she sometimes received at ale houses on the other side of the world. Tian's knew how to make tea. She pour the contents of the small paper packet into the top of the kettle and replaced the lid.

"The water is hot, and that is good. We will not have to wait long for the tea to brew." she switched to her native tongue when she said this, testing her friend's knowledge of the language she had taught in the time it had taken them to cross the Crown of the World. She brushed the crumbs off of the sleeves of her pea green kimono styled top. It certainly felt good to spend a little time out of her heavy armor after wearing it days on end. These little times of respite made her feel as light as a feather.

"I must say I am impressed with the level of combative skill that you have reached lately," she continued in fluid Tian. "Your strength and endurance have taken new heights. You handled Prince Bot Sacar's champion in the wrestling match very well and you brought honor to our group that night where I could not." Lien's cheeks tinged in a shameful blush at the memory of her failed performance of mounted archery.

"I have also noticed that your ability to fight defensively has also improved. You dodge more and more attacks in a style that is not unlike those native to this land. And not only do you fight in defense of yourself, but you manage to defend those near you as well. Your training has not been in vain," she smiled proudly.

"It fascinates me that fighting heritage of my people would be so closely embodied in one who's story started thousands of miles away. You do honor to this land, friend."

Taking the kettle in both hands, Lien shook it gently but firmly in one fluid circular motion, then taking it by the handle she reached for Takion's cup.

"I do believe the tea is ready." she announced. "You will not find the taste of this tea to be anything like the kind we have been drinking during the caravan. For one thing, my stash of tea leaves for the trip saw much use and were brewed more times than is proper. But such is life on the road. And for another thing, tea in your land is... different. Though it satisfied me for a while I found it to be much akin to a harsh mistress, beguiling me with it's beauty only to bite my tongue when I got close.

"This is pu erh. It is smoother, richer. It will not bite. It is the hermit living deep in a wood dressed in velvety moss opening up his doors and sharing with us the ancient treasures of his cupboards. I hope you enjoy it."
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm

He smiled a touch sheepishly. Her comments and praise, while welcome, caught him off guard. The fact that she was suddenly speaking in Tien didn't help, though he was able to follow along. Perhaps a few beats behind, as he translated in his head from Tien to Common, to Draconic. The joys of learning a third language based off of a second language.

He held his cup out for her, allowing her to fill it. Once filled he slowly took a sip, lightly burning his tongue. As the flavor hit him, his eyes opened in surprise,

"This is really good." he quickly takes another sip. "It is rich and smooth. Nothing like the tea on the other side. I do believe I like this tea better than any I've head until now."

He smiles happily as he leans back slightly, his eyes taking on a distant look as he thinks back.

"In truth, I do not know where my style originally came from. I am not sure you can even call it a style. I mostly have put together something from what I can remember of my mother teaching me when I was young, before...." he pauses and smiles reufully, but with no bitterness, "well, before she died. I was very young though, so my training was incomplete." He shrugged slightly, "Mostly defensive stuff so I could protect myself while we traveled."

He takes another sip of tea, "But I am sure you did not come here to ponder the past. Please my dear, tell me what brings you to me this night?"

Though his smile, and even his eyes, shone with pleasure, internally he was hoping she was here just for the company. Knowing she wanted to spend time with him would make him quite happy, though if she did need something, he would aid her in what ever way he could.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:20 pm

"Yes, the tea is good." Lien said, slipping back into common. Her words became strained instead of lyrical as she exercised caution in finding each one. "Talking of the past is also good, although it is often not very pleasant. And as you guessed, it is not the reason why I wanted to speak with you."

She sipped her tea, reveling in the rich, earthy flavor. The familiarity of it was comforting. She let tea linger on her tongue before swallowing slowly. She had been away from home too long.

Lien looked over at her companion. The way he was looking at her with such a happy smile suddenly reminded her of Koizumi, the man who had raised her. Memories of that gallant man flooded her mind and Lien found herself lost in them for a moment. Glancing down at her tea she laughed quietly to herself, her heart sitting heavy in her chest.

"Forgive me," she said looking back at Tackion, "the way you sit there right now, it reminds me of someone I once knew. The thought of him brought back sweet memories. It seems this moment of pondering the past, it is a sickness." Lien smiled at her own joke only to see a look of confusion cross her friend's face. "No, no," she stuttered, waving her hands apologetically. "I think I said it wrong. I did not mean it as a bad thing! I meant to laugh about it. Aigoo*..." She covered her eyes in embarrassment. Sighing, she took another sip of tea to regain her composure.

"Ah, but let us talk about a more recent past. The fight this morning in the arena, it was an interesting one, was it not? Those trolls were brutal, and their master was conniving."

*Aigoo- loosely translated as "geez" or "oh dear" in Korean.
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Tackion smiled warmly at his young friend. Young, but had already been through much. Like him. Maybe that was why...

He mentally shook his head. Now was not the time for that. "Well, I am glad I was able to bring a smile to your face"

He took a drink of his tea and leaned back. Memories of the fight flashing through his eyes.

"I believe that is why he brought them. Their healing abilities would make it difficult for them to be eliminated." Another sip of tea quickly followed, "and he was quick to change his argument when the one died. He...." Tackion paused slightly, "he had no honor. Just a sad little man trying to cheat the system." He smiled warmly again at Lien, "you made the right choice, relinquishing the blade. Continuing the tournament was far more important."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:16 pm

"Yes, I do not regret my choice. It was a small price to pay." Lien spoke with confidence. "But the sword is not why I bring this fight up. We fought well and won, he tried to cheat and managed to gain a small prize from it. It is done.

"No, I bring this up because I wanted to ask you if you were alright." Lien looked directly at him as concern creased her face. "There was a moment there, in the arena, that I do not remember. The world went grey and when I opened my eyes again I saw that you were filled with fury. I do not normally see such a fire in your eyes, and it worries me. What happened in the time I do not remember?"
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Tackion is silent for a moment, his gaze drifting downward. That moment. He could see it well still. Frozen in his memory. Why that time? What was different?

His rage for one. His grandfather had always said, "Nothing burns hotter than the the anger of a Dragon." How true those words rang.

"Perhaps......Perhaps it is well you do not remember." He takes a long slow sip of his tea. "You......fell. You were not going to get back up." His callused hands surrounded his cup. "My.......anger, no." He shakes his head slightly. "I am sorry. I will not let it happen again." His eyes remained downcast as the tips of his ears, barely showing through his blonde hair, turned red from a slight blush.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 am

Lien knew well the feeling of seeing her comrades fall in a fight. If it hadn't been for Emilian and the blessings he had received from Desna, as well as the Amatatsu Seal, many of them would have died long before they even made it out of Avistan. Still, watching the blood pour out of someone you called friend was never pretty. The sight still terrified her. But she had learned long ago to harness that fear and channel it's strength through her sword, just as Koizumi had taught her.

"Do not punish yourself," Lien assured him. "It is never easy to see a friend with many wounds. You did nothing wrong. I saw in your eyes that you wanted the trolls death, but you only wavered a moment. In the end you kept your anger in control and that is proper.

"There is no fight without feelings," she continued calmly, "emotion, it is always there. It tries to tell us what to do and wants to overpower. But we are stronger," she touched a finger to her temple, "here, and we take control to use the power of the emotion as our strength.

"But I say things you already know." Lien finished her cup of tea and poured herself another. "I was worried for you, but now that I know the reason, 'all is the well' as it is said." She smiled as she pointed with the kettle to his cup. "Do you want some more tea?"
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 am

He smiled appreciatively. "I would love some more tea. Thank you."

As Lien poured the earthy drink, Tackion's smile turned slightly rueful. "I think there has been some confusion." He looked up at her expression of curiosity. "I was not angry that a friend was hurt. I was angry that - you - were hurt."

He leaned back in his chair, taking a long sip of his tea. The young dragon was trying for all the world to appear nonchalant.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:39 am

Lien blinked at Tackion with astonishment. "You were... what?" Subconsciously she slipped back into her native tongue. Tackion's words were clear and to the point. His anger had not been spurred by a general care for the group's physical well being, or even for her's under the pretense of the camaraderie they both shared. No, his passion was incited over a concern for her as an individual, as something other than a friend.

"Oh..." she gasped suddenly realizing that all the little things she thought he had done just because he was a gentleman may have been motivated by something else. She had always assumed that the deference he showed to her was the same way he treated all women. But it all seemed obvious now. Why hadn't she seen it before? Tackion had feelings for her.

Turning slightly to hide the flush she felt in her cheeks, Lien took a generous swallow of tea. It was too much, too fast and she came up sputtering and coughing.

"Please forgive me," she implored, her Tian accent coming on strong. "How unkind of me to lose my manners! Please..." She swallowed hard, looking at Tackion with guilt stricken eyes. "Thank you. Your words... they mean much to me. You honor me greatly."

Lien bowed down until her head nearly brushed the table. "I am not worthy of such high honor and praise," she whispered, hoping that she had not taught Tackion her language nearly as well as she knew she had.
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:48 pm

"No Malen'kiy Drakon, there is no one more worthy." The young warrior whispered, using her native Tien except for that name.  Little Dragon in his native language.  Those words summed up the fair warrior in front of him now.

Tackion leaned back on his seat slightly, "I am sorry I startled you.  It was not my intent." He smiled sadly at his friend, "Please, raise your head.  I am the one who is unworthy.  I am not asking for you to return my feelings and in truth I am terrified of the answer.  You asked however, and I can not, -will- not ever lie to you."

He leaned forward, his thumb lightly tracing the edge of his cup.  Quickly, nervously, he drank down the rest of his tea and set the empty container on the table in front of him. No matter how much he drank, his throat never seemed to get less dry.  Slowly he folded his hands before him and lowered his head above them.

"If you wish it, I will leave now and never speak of this again.  When tomorrow dawns, it will be as if it never happened." Tackion whispered, his voice soft and hoarse. "All I want is for you to be happy. And for some reason I can not stop talking. YA durak.*"

With a deep breath, the child of the dragons centered himself.  His eyes closed, his other senses heightened, he sat as calmly as he could.  Considering what had just happened, he wasn't doing too bad. Nervous twitching aside.

*YA durak means "I am a fool" in Russian, which we all know, is what I am using for Draconic
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:10 pm

"No," she whispered, her head still bowed, "do not go. Please..." She wanted to reach out and stay his hand, to somehow anchor him, keep him from leaving. But to touch him would be to cross the boundaries of propriety, She dare not do it. Instead her words and actions must be the anchor. Obediently she raised her head.

"Please," there was a greater strength in her voice. "I would not have you go. I would not have you hide your feelings or shut them away. I fear that doing so would wound you and I could not bear to let that come between us. You are too important to me and I would be a fool to lose you.

"That you consider me worthy, it is more than I could ever have imagined." She smiled and pure joy danced in her eyes. "But what to do? I truly have nothing to offer you. I have no family, no dowry, there are no village elders to set a match. And my heart, it must stay steadfast to the purpose of our group, to do everything we must in order that the rightful regent ascends the throne. Any division of my heart would prove detrimental to our purpose and would bring shame upon myself and my order.

"And yet, I am already divided, for all my strength of will, my heart bends to follow you." Lien's hands were trembling. She felt spent. She had given the best that she had, a thing she valued even above her honor. Honesty.
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:52 am

Slowly, Tackion reached out with his hands, gently covering her trembling ones. His smile warm and his eyes shining. Softly he sat there for a couple seconds, just holding her hands with his.

When he spoke, his voice was soft and full of joy, "I do not believe the two need be exclusive. We are both people filled with our own senses of honor and what is right. Neither one of us would ever break our vows and we both promised to protect -her- and see her to her rightful place. I do not however believe that excludes us from spending time together. Time like this, here." His head turned to the sides, indicating the table and tea. "Quiet moments where we can sit together, talk, learn of each other."

His smile seemed to glow in the dim light, "I wish to do this right, slow and proper by your beliefs. I do not however know them well enough and I would never want to do anything to upset you, to take away your smile. Please, teach me more of your ways." He tilted his head lightly, to the side, "Why would the village elders need to set a match?" his voice asked, full of curiousity.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:11 pm

"Ah," Lien smiled at his eagerness. "well, mine are a people steeped in tradition. Even the smallest act can hold a tremendous amount of meaning.

"Like this," she lifted her hands slightly under his, "this speaks of your desire to protect me and to claim me as your own. And mine, underneath, are telling you that I willingly yield myself to you. If I am not willing to live by the words my actions are speaking than great shame will come upon me. This is the way of an honorable Tian. We are taught such things by the elders of our family, as their elders taught them before. We hold great respect for our elders, those who have gone before us in this life, for they are wise and can see and understand things that we may not. We depend upon them for their wisdom, lean on them for their insight, and trust in them to make decisions when we still do not understand the world as we should.

"Therefore, in matters of courtship and marriage, it is the family, the parents and grandparents, that decide who their children marry. There are many matters to consider when entering into such a union, but most important is to pick a match that will carry on the family legacy, thereby honoring all those who have gone before.

"In your case, for you to enter into a courtship with... me... you would not talk to me about it or even approach me. You would need to hire a match maker, or ask someone you know to be a go-between. Such a person would then come to my parents and present your intentions. Then my family would meet with your family and if it seemed to by an advantageous match than you would be invited to a ceremony where I would serve you tea."

Lien acknowledged Tackion's questioning look with a simple shake of the head.

"Not this, not pu erh. Omija, the tea of the five flavors. It symbolizes all that a woman has to offer. Mind, body, soul, possessions, and ancestry. When a man drinks of this, not only is he accepting the woman who has offered to him, but he is also committing himself to a life with her no matter what may come. Omija, being sweet, salty, sour, spicy, and bitter in the same drink is the symbol of all that is life, the good, the bitter, the sweet, the sweat, all in one as the gods decree. It is then that you would be allowed to court me in my family home."

As Lien patiently explained these things to Tackion the joy in her eyes slowly began to dim. She paused. Her eyes, clouded with memory, were fixed on a distant point. The conflicting emotions of sadness and resolve played on her features. Her jaw was set. Her mouth drawn in a thin hard line, it's corners turned downward.

"But you know I have no father for you to petition. No mother for you to entreat. There is no home where you could come and I serve you tea," her voice was cold and distant. She laughed but there was no mirth in it.

"As an orphan, eligibility for matchmaking is decided by the village elders. Chances are small for a poor orphan girl to marry for she has nothing to offer. Yet I am denied even that. There is no village. No elders to allow one such as I to have a chance at a legacy. I am a wandering soul whose greatest possession belongs to another. I have no legacy worthy to uphold. I can do little to contribute to another family's prosperity. According to our customs, I am unworthy of marriage.

"Does that answer your question, friend?"
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:46 pm

"Partly moy Malin'key Drakon." he responded.  His hands tightened slightly around hers, "I believe though, we must define family.  It is true, neither of us have parents. However you do have one who loves you as a sister." He smiled warmly as he continued, in a voice quiet so beyond the table non could hear. "As for village elders, there is none higher in all the land than she.  Unless you believe she would disapprove of us being together?"  His eyes trace downwards slightly as he sighs, "That does of course leave the problem of my family.  My Grandfather would approve, of that I have no doubt.  However he would insist on meeting you and would come here himself.  I do want you to meet him, I'm just afraid it will cause a panic.  Can you imagine an ancient and powerful western Blue Dragon suddenly showing up at the tournament?"

"And what is this about you having no legacy?  You are building your legacy, one of strength and honor, of courage and integrity.  You are the greatest woman I have ever met or could ever hope to meet.  My family could only improved by welcoming you into it."  He quirks an eyebrow as he continues, "If that is not good enough, then we will forge a new family legacy.  Together.  Even the greatest of today had to start somewhere.  I will take on your name and we will build a legacy to be known throughout the land for centuries to come."  He leans forward slightly, his eyes gazing directly into hers. "I will not give up.  I will, inside of this lands customs, court you and, the great Dragon god willing, marry you.  For as I said before, I do not believe there is anyone -more- worthy than you."  His smile is one of both warmth and determination.

"So moy Malin'key Drakon, should I call for my Grandfather?"
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:26 pm

"I so much desire to meet you Grandfather." she replied, the joy in her eyes returning. "To meet a Cheongnyong*... I cannot express... ah! There are no words to convey what a wonder and grand honor that would be!"

Lien's expression of awe was interrupted as a coy smile crept across her face. "It is with regret that I find myself agreeing with you. A western Cheongnyong here at the tournament? Yes," she laughed, "that would truly create a state of grave unrest.

"However, when we are done here, maybe something could be arranged..." The Tian bit her lower lip, silently berating herself for wanting the freedom that she did not have. The freedom to go with Tackion and meet his honorable Grandfather. But she was well aware of the binding agreement she had to Ameiko. She had given her sword in service, and there was no turning back from that.  

"No, it will have to wait," she sighed lightly, her smile sweet, yet distant. "There is so much joy in this moment, this talk with you, and it overwhelms my spirit. But there is also much waiting, much that we will have to be patient for. I feel as though very soon I will learn new ways to control the emotions of my heart."

She looked back at Tackion. "Thank you for graciously desiring to follow my people's traditions. It is a great kindness, one I will remember. But I believe our circumstances require a compromise. If, in some way we can do honor to the customs of my people despite our disability to follow every tradition I will be more than happy. What that may look like, I still do not know. I will need some time to think upon it.

"I believe you are right about requesting approval from noona.** Though she may be steeped in western culture her position is to be respected. And I do not think she would disapprove. Meeting you Grandfather is a must, if for honor's sake alone. But as eager as I am for the meeting I do not wish to inconvenience him. I would desire that we defer to his wishes on the place of our meeting.

"What of you, Tackion?" Saying his name out loud was sweeter on her lips than it had been before. Before it had been a glimmer of hope, a welcome comfort. But now it was full of gratitude and joy.  

"What of the customs of your people? If I lived in your lands how would we enter into courtship? Your practices are just as important as mine. If I am to follow you than I wish to abide by the way you would live. It would not be right for you to follow my customs alone. I have lived with Avistanians long enough to know that they are not the barbarians many Tian's believe them to be. They live by their rules and traditions, just as we live by ours. I would not be ashamed to participate in any tradition you wish to uphold. It would be a privilege."

She looked at him earnestly, questions in her eyes. The sweet smile didn't leave her face.

* Cheongnyong means Azure Dragon
**Noona means female friend who is older than you
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:54 pm

Tackion's grin widened. Never before had he experienced such joy. To think she felt the same as he.

"In my Grandfather's lands, they follow one of two paths. A slightly newer path of simple dating followed by a marriage in a temple of Shelyn. I will admit, that path usually has some very lovely and inspiring music." he grinned. "The other is a more traditional one. When two people desire to be together, they perform what is known as a 'hand-fasting ceremony'. Their hands are tied together both literally and symbolically. It is used to show how the two are becoming one. However, it is not marriage. After the ceremony the two must then live together for a year. It is this period where they see how well they can be together. In all things, they act as if they are married. If they are compatable, then after one year and one day, they are considered married. During that year however, either person can break off the relationship."

Idly his thumbs gently rub the backs of her knuckles, "My Grandfather's people are different. They say they know immediately who their mate is, through instinct or love at first sight, I don't know." He shrugged lightly, "After that they simply move in together. From then on, they are a family. If one dies, the other never again marries, for lack of a better term."

"And do not worry about inconveniencing my Grandfather. He always said he learned one lesson from my grandmother. Family always comes first." His grin turned into a half smirk, "If I call for him, he will come here. He will probably be as eager for the meeting as we are." Tackion chuckled lightly. "But yes, at the very least, after the tournament. When we would have a chance to warn the others about his coming."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 am

Lien rested her cheeks as she listened to Tackion explain his traditions. Though her heart was still full her cheeks were beginning to ache. Even so, her eyes still smiled. She could do nothing to stop it. When he spoke of the 'hand-fasting ceremony' she couldn't but glance down where he was clasping her hands in his. Even though she wasn't sure she understood all the details of that custom she did catch the meaning of it. The symbolism was beautiful to her.

"Do you believe the same about love as you Grandfather?" she asked with gentle curiosity.
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:00 pm

He nodded his head, "I do, yes." His voice was soft and warm. "Right now, I could not imagine anything else."

Tackion could still not believe this moment was happening. Part of him feared this was some dream and he would wake to a world where nothing had changed. Rationally, he knew that it was real. Her eyes shining with joy, her hands soft inside his, all actually here. What he had hoped for, prayed for, actually happening however, seemed almost surreal. In truth, he would not mind if this moment could last a lifetime. Just being here, alone with her though many people were around, holding hands, talking about the future. It was more than he could ever have hoped for.

After a minute or so of just sitting there, enjoying the simple pleasure of being together, Tackion tilted his head slightly. "So, moy Malin'key Drakon, I have to ask. What happens now? Where do we go from here? As much as I would be happy with it, this moment will not last forever. How do we proceed?" The question, while earnest, seemed to have some nervousness to it.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:22 pm

"Right now? I don't know. I wish for you to present your intentions for me to noona. I feel as though it would be the respectful thing to do, given my commitment to her. It does not have to be a great formal meeting, just a time to share with her the truth of our hearts. But I do not know if now is the best time. We have are less than halfway through this tournament. It is my desire that we all stay focused, fight well, and win. I do not want to add any distraction to that.

"Though it may be more distracting to say nothing and hold theses feelings as a secret in our hearts than it would be to tell the others and prepare for some kind of courtship right away..."

Lien's answer was also nervous. The road before her now was all new. She felt lost without the guide of her traditions and customs. It wasn't until this moment that she realized she didn't quite fit the typical Tian life. It was time to let go of some of the formalities that she had been holding on so dear and embrace a new way of things. It was the most sensible way.

"Tackion," she gently squeezed his fingers, "We already know I cannot follow my people's customs of courtship, so I do not ask you to follow them yourself. There are only two things I wish. The first is that we have a formal meeting with your Grandfather at the appropriate time as he is our only familial elder and as such I greatly respect his opinion. The second is that when the time is right, we have a traditional Tian ceremony to signify our union. That is all I ask. I hope that you do not find in unreasonable."
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:49 am

"Despite my comments earlier, I do not know if I can go back to being how it was before. Knowing how you feel as well, only makes me more sure. I will talk to her tonight." His eyes danced as he spoke.

He again lightly ran his thumbs along the back of her hands. "I will follow any tradition you wish me too. And when the time is right, we will have the traditional ceremony. I promise this. As for my Grandfather, I will make the arrangements to call for him after the tournament is over."

His smile softens, "Will you come with me to talk with her?"
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:19 pm

"Yes," Lien smiled widely, "If that is what you wish, than yes, I will go with you."

Her heart danced with such joy she never felt possible. The newness of if all made her feel more alive. It stirred her head leaving her slightly off balance from exhilaration. That part she could do without. Things were about to change for her in a big way and she was very much in awe of it all. She knew she would always be a woman-warrior of the dragon order, hunter of the evil oni. But now she was something more. She was loved. Her purpose in life grew tenfold. No longer did she feel like a wandering soul as the path for her future became clear. She would follow Tackion, the upright, the dragon kin. Together they would forge a legacy of honor, one worthy of passing down to the next generation. As Lien pondered these things she wondered if this was what it was like to feel complete.

The dragon-man and the dragon warrior. Madam Fate would be hard pressed to bring a better match together.
TRU
TRU
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tea with the Tian Empty Re: Tea with the Tian

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum