The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Gonna give it a lil try- ooc

+3
annasimone
Colin Marcus
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 Empty Re: Gonna give it a lil try- ooc

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 am

hey, take your time. You can join up whenever you want. Just get done the stuff you need to get done.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  annasimone Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:21 am

I'm ready to hop in! I'll pick up a character type that I am comfortable with, and if you allow Eddick, I'll take over that guards woman in the room Wink I'll type up a suggested character here, then you give me the go or the no.

Kara Taarkot

Level 2 Rogue (Investigator)

Str:16
Dex:17
Con:15
Int:16
Wis:14
Chr:12

AC: 5 (leather, dex)
HP: 10
Damage: d4+1/d3+1 or 1 (dagger, strength bonus or blowgun)
Thac0: 17 with dagger, 18 with blowgun
Thief skills:
pick pockets:15 %
open locks:20 %
Find and Remove Traps:50 %
move silently:10 %
hide in shadows:5 %
Detect noise:65 %
Climb Walls:60 %
read languages:0%
Backstab x2

Kara stands with a straight back, sharp light-blue eyes and hair as black as a cauldron. With a short efficient cut curled neetly into a knot in her neck she fits the profile of any well-trained Guard of the Star Sapphire. She is fairly short with straight proportions, the only curves presented comming from well-trained muscles. Concerned with her own reputation and wealth more than the wellbeing of others, she enjoys her work and its many perks.
annasimone
annasimone

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:05 pm

What are your house rules for rolling characters?

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Usually we do 4d6 (using the best three out of that) nine times (and pick the best six).

But I am letting people pick their own stats, as long as you don't go overboard. You can even use someone else's stats and just rearrange them if you want. We still start at level one, so no one will be too powerful to start. Then we go from there. Smile
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Ok, so no WoW Paladins. Got it ^^

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  annasimone Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:42 am

Oh and it was Eddick who made me a lvl 2! Just so I don't come off as cheating :p
annasimone
annasimone

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Ok, I need a little help finishing this up. Have some "blanks" to fill in. I'm also wondering if the character is too ambitious a design based on my knowledge of the game & game world. I'd really like some help putting the finishing touches on him. Here's what I have so far:

Tolian Bourne
Human
Male
Age 24
Fighter(?)

Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 18
Int 14
Wis 13
Chr 14

Appearance

Tolian is 6",3" tall, weighs 223 Lbs, has curly black hair that comes to rest where his shoulders meet his neck. Most often he ties the hair on his temples back into a ponytail that rests flat on the back of his head (keeps the hair out of his eyes). Tolian has caucasian skin. He has your basic rugged good looks, though slightly marred by a verticle scar on his left eye. He also sports a thick goatee. He has a chiseled, well toned body adorned with many scars he's recieved from his time as a pit-fighter. His skin is somewhat mottled on his chest, discolored a bit more pink where he's received significant burns. Tolian moves with a cat-like grace, which displays a subtle hint of his talents as a fighter.

Tolian prefers leather type armors, which he wears most of the time. However, whilst in the city
proper, Tolian wears the basic clothing of a well to do commoner, which is to say: Basic light brown,
sleeveless shirt, darker brown leather pants, darker still brown leather boots, brown leather belt,
twin leather straps on his biceps, and thick leather bracers on his forearms. He also frequently wears a hooded longcoat.

When outside the city, Tolian adds a leather cuirass to his ensemble.

Personality

Tolian appears to most as a quiet, gentle, & polite man who hides a deep reservoir of feelings. He is intentionally quiet & mild, until he feels it's time to not be. Tolian speaks with a deep gravelly voice, and understands that it can be a powerful tool of communication, as well as intimidation.

Background
Tolian grew up on a farm somewhere outside procampur, at the age of 12 his family's farm was raided by
pirates (or bandits, the boy was too young to know the difference) he gave a spirited resistance,
even killing one of them with a pitchfork, but got his leg wounded in the process, so he couldn't get
away before getting caught. (family killed, farm burned)

he spent the next 4 years doing hard labor in one of their hidden enclaves. At some point they decided it would amuse them to use him as a pit fighter. at the age of 15 he started recieving some basic weapons training, and around the time he turned 16 they decided to give him his first pit fight. over the next 4 years he became a favorite for pit fighting, which earned him some dubious prestige as well as a cornucopia of battle scars. Since then he's picked up skills to fight with knives & swords, as well as some basic martial arts skills.

he escaped while being transported to another bandit groups gathering. he came under the care of an
old healer who took care of him over the next 2 years. during that time he learned to hunt & trap,
and helped take care of the old healer. the old healer died during Tolian's 22nd winter, and Tolian
has been on his own since. He's made his living hunting & trapping since then, living outside
procampur mostly. He's had limited contact with the procampans. He occasionally goes into the city
to sell gathered pelts & jerky. he's spent limited time within the adventurer's district, as well as the commoner's district.

Weapons & Equipment

This will probably need fleshing out also, so far what comes to mind is that Tolian is skilled in the use of swords, knives, & bows. He also likes to use hand carved rudimentary wooden spears for hunting large animals. He knows how to construct animal traps of various kinds, and is used to living off the land. He's also used to sleeping either in a tent or on the hard ground.

Last edited by Edrykk Overstahr on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:14 pm

From what you put down, it sounds like you could either be a fighter or a ranger. A ranger is a person who is able to fight with two weapons at once, track and be good in the wilderness as well.

Pros- best trackers in the game, all others have a -6 to their roll
Can fight with two weapons with reduced penalty
gain move silently and hide in shadow skills
can cast very limited priest spells as they get to level 8

Cons- dont do well with heavy armor (doesnt sound like your guy uses heavy armor anyway)
levels slower

You can also stay a fighter

Pros- level faster
can learn mastery of a particular weapon
no difficulty in heavy armor
no stereotyping into a role you might not want.
(optional)gladiator kit allows you to specialize in two different weapons. (one that doesnt cost you slots

Cons- needs to spend extra proficiency slots to get two weapon fighting
no extra abilities
(optional)gladiator kit makes you more recognizable, for good but more likely this will be by people you do not wish to be recognized by.

for both classes, we allow specialization which takes two slots. Specialization is the utmost familiarity with a weapon, gaining a bonus to attack and damage as well as extra attack every other round. Most fighters we bring in use this ability, but not all have. If you would rather be knowledgeable in many different weapons, you can go for weapon groups. For the cost of two slots, you can learn all the weapons of certain types. Axes, swords, polearms, bows, that kind of thing.

you start off with 7 slots plus whatever your number of languages bonus under your intelligence stat. I think for a 14 intelligence it is 4 off the top of my head. you use these slots to buy your weapon abilities, or your skills (such as hunting, trapping, survival (in the wilderness) and such things. I believe chapter 5 in the phb has a good section available to you for your selection.

If you would like any more information, just ask Smile
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm considering ranger, but in these early stages, it doesn't quite seem to fit the concept. Fighter seems a little too simple also. Hehe, I've always had a problem fitting into a mold.

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm

The classes are customizable with your proficiency list. Ultimately whatever path you choose we can make it work. Personally, I would go with the gladiator kit, and just pick up some outside type proficiencies like hunting, trapping and such. Then I would pick a sword and a bow to specialize in, and go from there. But that's me. You could go either way. It just depends on how you want to do things in the long run.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Can you elaborate some on this "gladiator kit"? sounds like an in-house rule.

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey, I just asked "Eddick" and he said that the gladiator kit is in the fighters handbook. do you have access to one of those?
TRU
TRU
Admin

https://cord.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:36 am

Ok, its official.

I REALLY like this mage farao
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:56 am

Elric wrote:Ok, its official.

I REALLY like this mage farao

lol. I love the fact that there has been so much "sizing up" between the mage and the paladin. SO much that is just not being said... its hilarious! man, is that what we do in real life?? Rolling Eyes scratch
TRU
TRU
Admin

https://cord.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:07 am

I downloaded it, just haven't been able to get to read it. I'm way behind the curve. Tolian will most likely not be done in time to join in.

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 am

Gladiator

Description: The gladiator is a showman-warrior from a society where public combat competitions are a popular sport. The gladiator is a professional warrior in this high-profile arena; for the delight (and bloodlust) of the crowds, for his own personal wealth and aggrandizement (or, if he is a slave, for the profits of his owner), he fights organized matches against human, demihuman, and even monstrous opponents.
There are no special ability-score requirements to be a Gladiator.
Role: For the Gladiator to appear in a campaign, the DM must establish that at least one culture has gladiatorial combats, and the Gladiator character must come from such a culture. (He need not have been born there . . . but he will either have been a slave there or, if he was a freeman, will feel like a naturalized citizen there.) A Gladiator player-character can be an active gladiator in the arena, one who adventures in his free time (or within some other context of the current adventure), or can have formerly been a gladiator now living the life of the adventurer.
In the campaign, the Gladiator is going to be a showy, high-profile warrior. He performs dangerous stunts in combat. He attracts the attention of crowds of admirers. He receives a lot of credit for brave deeds whether he deserves the credit or not. A Gladiator can be a callous brute, a dirty arena fighter with no interests other than killing his enemy as quickly as possible and making off with his prize; or he can be a clean-limbed, heroic figure, a hero who always fights honorably in the arena and never kills when he does not have to.
DMs take note: a Gladiator character is not likely to be a Ranger. You can permit it if you wish, but Rangers are very wilderness-oriented characters, and Gladiators are very urban. A Ranger could have been captured, enslaved, trained as a Gladiator, and then escaped—but still, the Ranger and Gladiator personalities don't seem to work together very well. Allow this only if you really wish to.
It's up to the DM to decide whether there are female gladiators on his world. Unless his campaign is already rigidly set up to prevent it, he might as well allow it; a she-gladiator character could be a very interesting one.
-------
Weapon Proficiencies: Required: short sword (gladius), trident, net. Gladiators should learn an even mix of normal and unusual weapons; the DM is within his rights to insist that the Gladiator learn one strange weapon proficiency (such as whip) for every "normal" proficiency (like sword, spear, etc.). (Also, see the Equipment chapter, under "New Arms" and "New Armor," for weapons and armor especially appropriate to Gladiator characters.)
Nonweapon Proficiencies: Bonus Proficiencies: (Warrior) Charioteering, (Rogue) Tumbling (for the combat showmanship that characterizes arena fighting). Recommended: (General) Animal Handling, Animal Training, Etiquette, Riding (Land-Based), (Warrior) Armorer, Blind-Fighting, Endurance, Gaming, Weapon-smithing, (Priest) Healing (double slots unless Paladin).
Equipment: The Gladiator may buy any sort of non-magical weapon or combination of weapons before beginning play. However, he must choose his armor from the listing of Gladiator Armor in the Equipment chapter, under "New Armors."
Special Benefits: Gladiators, because of their intensive training, get a free Weapon Specialization (see under "Weapon Specialization" in the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook). This doesn't cost any of their beginning weapon proficiencies: They still get all four of those, and get this Specialization free. It must be chosen from one of the following weapons: bow (choice), cestus*, dagger, drusus*, lasso*, net*, scimitar, short sword, spear, trident, and whip. (The "*" indicates a new weapon found in the Equipment chapter.)
Special Hindrances: Gladiators tend to be recognized—as Gladiators, at least, if not by their own names—wherever they go. This makes it more difficult for them to do things in secret; some troublesome NPC is always remembering "the tall, fair-haired gladiator" who was at the scene of the action, which makes it very easy for the authorities to follow the heroes' trail. (This is something the DM will have to enforce scrupulously if the Gladiator is to have hindrances offsetting his benefits.)
Also, and this is strictly a role-playing consideration, promoters and managers are always interfering in the Gladiator's life: Trying to hire him to participate in certain-death events, to fight people the Gladiator doesn't want to fight, to force him to participate in events taking place at the exact time the Gladiator needs to be somewhere else, etc. These promoters will go to any length to get their way; they may blackmail the character, kidnap his followers, use the time-honored bait of a gorgeous romantic interest (whom the Gladiator doesn't immediately realize is an employee of the promoter), and so forth.
To make sure this is regarded as a hindrance, the DM should make it clear that these promoters are mostly of the sleazy variety who will cheat, rob and betray him at the drop of a hat.
-----------------------

Well, there it is. If you want it seems that you can still be a ranger as well as a gladiator. I should read these things when I recommend them, Smile

Well, If you decide not to jump in on this one, that is okay. I am sure we will have other threads you can jump in on. Not sure exactly when, but things like that happen here. If you decide there is a good place for your character to be, go ahead and throw him in there. We can work out the details later. That's what we are doing with annasimone, and I don't give out special treatment just because she is a girl. Razz
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:47 am

Question:

7 Slots total for weapon & non weapon profs? then 4 slots for languages if I want? Is that correct?

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:09 pm

4 is your limit of the number of languages you can learn. If you don't want any special languages you can use those proficiency slots in other ways. You gain "common" human speech for free. Say you wanted to learn Dwarven language, then use the rest of your 10 proficiency slots for weapons and skills, that would be fine. Does that make sense?
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:10 pm

Yeah that's what I'm asking about. Thanks

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:26 pm

Do I need to go in depth with the character's equipment, gold, etc?

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 pm

No, not really. It sounds like from your character that you do not have a whole lot that you would need to spend, so just give yourself whatever weapons you might need, followed by armor and basic supplies. If you want to, we normally give max gold to whoever starts a character, but you don't have to take it. It is 200 gold. If you want to have a list of supplies, great, but we arent going to sweat the small stuff.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Tolian Bourne (Corrected spelling of last name)

Male, Human
6',3" Tall
223 Lbs
Hair Black
Eyes Green
Skin Caucasian

Str 16
Dex 16
Con 18
Int 14
Will 14
Chr 13

Class Warrior (Gladiator)
Hitpoints 10
Align Neutral Good

Weapon Proficiencies:
Bow
Broadsword
Net
Short Sword
Trident
Weapon Specialization: Daggers

Non Weapon Proficiencies:
Charioteer
Riding (Land Based)
Endurance
Hunting
Leatherworking

Languages:
Common
Elvish

This is where I'm at in my progress. I'll go ahead and start with the 200 gold and get into the equipment & arms book and try to compile a relatively short list.

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Only thing is we usually start people out with maximum hit points at level one. Because you get a +4 because of your Con bonus, you have 14 hit points.

Other than that it looks real good! You still got time to jump in if you like, so don't worry about that. We can always find room for more.

Any way, I gotta go to work, no more posts for me today. Have a good one.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Gonna give it a lil try- ooc - Page 2 Empty Tolian compiled

Post  Edrykk Overstahr Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:09 pm

Tolian Bourne (Corrected spelling of last name)

Male, Human
6',3" Tall
223 Lbs
Hair Black
Eyes Green
Skin Caucasian

Str 16
Dex 16
Con 18
Int 14
Will 14
Chr 13

Class Warrior (Gladiator)
Hitpoints 10
Align Neutral Good

Weapon Proficiencies:
Bow
Broadsword
Net
Short Sword
Trident
Weapon Specialization: Daggers

Non Weapon Proficiencies:
Charioteer
Riding (Land Based)
Endurance
Hunting
Leatherworking

Languages:
Common
Elvish

Equipment

Studded Leather Armor
Composite Longbow
Quiver (can be worn on back or hip)
2 Daggers
Falchion
Backpack

Tolian also has an old brown & spotted white mare, named Mathilda.

Appearance

Tolian is 6",3" tall, weighs 223 Lbs, has curly black hair that comes to rest where his shoulders meet his neck. Most often he ties the hair on his temples back into a ponytail that rests flat on the back of his head (keeps the hair out of his eyes). Tolian has caucasian skin. He has your basic rugged good looks, though slightly marred by a verticle scar on his left eye. He also sports a thick goatee. He has a chiseled, well toned body adorned with many scars he's recieved from his time as a pit-fighter. His skin is somewhat mottled on his chest, discolored a bit more pink where he's received significant burns. Tolian moves with a cat-like grace, which displays a subtle hint of his talents as a fighter.

Tolian prefers leather type armors, which he wears most of the time. However, whilst in the city proper, Tolian wears the basic clothing of a well to do commoner, which is to say: Basic light brown, sleeveless shirt, darker brown leather pants, darker still brown leather boots, brown leather belt, twin leather straps on his biceps, and thick leather bracers on his forearms. He also frequently wears a hooded longcoat.

When outside the city, Tolian adds a leather cuirass to his ensemble.

Personality

Tolian appears to most as a quiet, gentle, & polite man who hides a deep reservoir of feelings. He is intentionally quiet & mild, until he feels it's time to not be. Tolian speaks with a deep gravelly voice, and understands that it can be a powerful tool of communication, as well as intimidation.

Background

Tolian grew up on a farm somewhere outside procampur, at the age of 12 his family's farm was raided by pirates (or bandits, the boy was too young to know the difference) he gave a spirited resistance, even killing one of them with a pitchfork, but got his leg wounded in the process, so he couldn't get away before getting caught. (family killed, farm burned)

he spent the next 4 years doing hard labor in one of their hidden enclaves. At some point they decided it would amuse them to use him as a pit fighter. at the age of 15 he started recieving some basic weapons training, and around the time he turned 16 they decided to give him his first pit fight. over the next 4 years he became a favorite for pit fighting, which earned him some dubious prestige as well as a cornucopia of battle scars. Since then he's picked up skills to fight with knives & swords, as well as some basic martial arts skills.

he escaped while being transported to another bandit groups gathering. he came under the care of an old healer who took care of him over the next 2 years. during that time he learned to hunt & trap, and helped take care of the old healer. the old healer died during Tolian's 22nd winter, and Tolian has been on his own since. He's made his living hunting & trapping since then, living outside procampur mostly. He's had limited contact with the procampans. He occasionally goes into the city to sell gathered pelts & jerky. he's spent limited time within the adventurer's district, as well as the commoner's district.

==========================

As long as this meets approval, I think I'm ready to jump into the story.

Edrykk Overstahr

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:06 am

Hey it looks good!

Jump in whenever!
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content