Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 38 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am
Latest topics
» A Journal Bearing the Adventures of Pathfinders
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:51 pm by Magyc

» For What It's Worth (Adanedhel's Story)
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Mother Knows Best
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» Draxthious' Father
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 pm by MrPrettyPretty

» 3rd Watch, In Which Drax and Elle Have Feelings
Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm by TRU

» Letters from Derrack
Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm by TRU

» The "Bored at work" thread
Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm by TRU

» Post Mortem Discourse
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm by Colin Marcus

» Dulgar Foamblower
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:32 am by Colin Marcus


Bagging the Bandits

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bagging the Bandits

Post  Wynnsaren on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:52 pm

The young woman's lips pulled back in disgust as she tugged yet another tuft of hair and hide from between the narrow metal strips that made up her splint mail. It wasn't the gore of it... It was the stench! Darya was fairly certain she'd never be able to completely scrub the rank of those bugbears from her armor...

Realizing there was nothing more to be done for it here, she pulled the oiled cloth from her pack and went to work on her morningstar.

It was a beautiful evening in the Thornwood. The stars were peaking through the shadowed canopy of leaves high above the eight companions that had gathered around a crackling fire for the night. Behind them stood the cliffs in which Blackbeak and his family made their nests.

The aarokocra had done an excellent job scouting earlier. They'd provided a rough layout of the ruins to the north, and the bandits that inhabited them... Unfortunately much of the structure was enclosed, and what dangers might lie within could only be guessed at. The companions were all well too aware of the dangers that lie without! The edge of the clearing was trapped cunningly enough to snare an elvish ranger, and the crossbowmen up on the walls of the old keep had filled poor Jayashree full of holes the last time they'd done some reconnaissance in the area...

Nas had overheard some rumors at the Baron of Mutton a few days back, that some time ago Lord Palfray had hired mercenaries to take care of the orc problem in the Thornwood. Seems like they stayed... Those few orcs that managed to escape the grasp of FOES a few weeks ago, said that the Bloodskull orcs moved north after finding a new chief. Could it be possible that the bandits and the orcs were working together to terrorize innocent travelers in this region? That wouldn't be a good scenario...

Whether humans alone or both together, something had to be done about the situation. Jennelith was still missing. Now Oleanne was missing! The threat these bandits posed was significant, and if there was a priest of Loviator among them... Lady Darya was hoping to have that fellow to herself!

"Well," she began, shifting her eyes between her companions, "do we have any thoughts on how we might best take care of those bandits that plague the ruins?"

"It would be most helpful if we could manage to capture one of them so we might learn more about their little operation here, and how many of them we could expect to find within the keep. While the idea of storming their gates directly holds much appeal to me, I don't believe that would be a very advantageous method of attack in this case... Even if we managed to break down the outer gates amid the barrage of arrows and bolts, once we got inside the courtyard, the bandits would STILL hold the high ground on their walls and tower, decimating us from above!"

"I believe more information about the place would prove to be our greatest weapon against them. Any thoughts?"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:50 pm

"Information's always well and good.... but first ya gots to get it!" The dwarf said eagerly. "Don't rightly know how we'll be doin' that..."

Torin was almost 'chipper' since the battle with the giants. He hadn't actually gotten a kill on one... the Paladin had much longer legs, and the Wemic had more of them... So the giants were dead before he got a shot in.

However he HAD been useful that day! He had blinded one with the power of Gorm, and had helped repair both the Paladin's armor and the Paladin herself... The training that he'd been doing with Lady Darya and Nas was paying off... the Shield felt more natural on his arm, and he'd actually deflected a few blows and killed one of the Bugbears himself!

It was a good week to be a dwarf!

"Most of the human's we've questions, ain't been the most useful... Or the most smart..." the priest tried to elaborate. "They could be MADE to talk... but I ain't the kind that likes to hear people squeal..."

"These are the choices as I see 'em. We can go THROUGH the wall... OVER the wall... or dig a tunnel UNDER the wall. Under the wall would be safest... but Y'all ain't dwarves, and I don't really want to dig the whole thing meself..."

"We know from painful experience they come out raiding often enough... May be we don't need to storm them at all... Eventually they'll come to us..."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:32 pm

I have 2 suggestions for howwe may resolve this issue.There is a possibility that Jace can put to sleep some or all of the gaurds then put up a wall of fog to cover us from missle fire. It is the more straight forward approach and if the priests can assist with other spells from a distance it may work even better. Although this plans is risky as their numbers inside the building are unknown. There is another way but it may be "less tasteful' to many here I feel. This I will have to discuss with Jaya as to her feelings but perhaps those of us who can should approach under cover of darkness and "assist" in ways that we can. once it is safe for your approach or we return with information we can meet back up. This puts the risk on only 1 possibly 2 of us but the risk is greater for us 2.

If we do capture one of their number I ask I select the members of our group who will do the interrogation. I have skill in such matters and it is a delicate art and I do not want to risk misinformation due to sloppy interogation methods.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Jace Arclight

Post  Magyc on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:59 am

"I can only offer a few suggestions. If we were able to separate one of them from the group, I may be able to charm him into believing we are his friends, and we can get an accurate idea of any hidden forces they have. We might even be able to get one to act as our agent and open the gate. That would probably require at least some some deception, which is dependent on whether Lady Darya could tolerate that in pursuit of the greater good."

"Other than that, the only other contribution that I can think of from myself would be to fog the field in front of the walls, allowing us to approach under cover- if we don't get disoriented. Although I may now have a way to help us though it..."


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
Magyc

Posts : 190
Join date : 2010-01-25

Back to top Go down

Lady Darya

Post  Wynnsaren on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm

The paladin smiled at Jace.

"Well, I would hope that I'm not the only one here who might take issue with being dishonest, whatever the situation! I do think the idea of capturing one of them and Charming him could give us a vast amout of helpful information. I don't see why that would require deception though. I certainly would mean the fellow no harm, and if he needs wounds tending, we should see to it. If he needs a meal, we could provide it. Could we not, with simple courtesy, ask him these questions? If he's Charmed I don't see why he would be unwilling..."

"There are always ways to accomplish what is right and necessary and good without compromising the morals of anyone in this party, and I have faith in all of our abilities to find those solutions!"

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Cleander Alparslan

Post  captain54jcv on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm

"My friends I will admit to you that this is not an area that I have expertise in," Cleander begrudgingly added. "Perhaps Jaya would be able to infiltrate the camp and provide us with information. However, I would not want to put her in harm's way, and the evil priest may be able to detect her presence." Cleander then pauses, looks at the group and sighs, "My friends I am sorry, I do not know what else I can offer you at this moment."


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
captain54jcv

Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Jace, How exactly does your sleep spell work does it merely require that you see your intended target, does it have a range of effect, how much of your target do you need to see for it to work? I feel if we decide to capture and gather information that being here along the edge of the woods where they seem to come out based on the foot traffic in the area. I can camoflauge us and our camp fairly easily so that they won't dectect us until its too late but we would require a vigilance on gaurd that will be difficult to maintain for mor than a few days as we would need 4 guards at all times.

If we decide to infiltrate the camp under cover I will go with Jaya to do so. Jace will stand by for a signal to drop his fog should we need it to cover our retreat. If these bandits are working with the large Orc group my guess is that the infiltration will be much dangerous as Orcs sleep patterns are very different from humans.

Our final option is to go and press not only the villagers in the area but Lord Palfrey as well for details. His son has information and asks to come with us perhaps we could use this desire to gain the information we need. While I do not wish to see the young man come to harm perhaps we could get the information from him then put him under one of jace's sleep spells under the care of tauster or at the farm safely out of danger. This of course would be deceptive to the young lad and so is not my first choice.

If we had a crime for which to charge the bandits first then, perhaps it would be easier to gather information from Lord Palfrey. Rather than just being "nosey adventurers". This maybe the best and least messy option but it could easily be combined with the capture and interrogate idea as well. I fear no matter the outcome if we continue on this path we will find ourselves not very welcome in these parts for much longer.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:05 pm

The dwarf's ears perked up.

"Vigiliance??? Now yer' talkin' MY game." Torin said with enthusiasm. "Gorm's the god of Guardians and Protectors..." He had a few ideas... some he hadn't tried yet, but he knew the doctrine well enough.

"If we keep the camp small enough... I can handle any extra watchin' we may need." he spoke confidently. "You keep us hidden from their eyes, and I'll know if they found us before THEY know they found us!"
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:51 am

I was counting heavily on that exact sentiment my Dwarven friend. You and I are the only ones who can see at night without aid. we will have no fires if we are to remain hidden. You and I will each take three of the four watches. Me first through third and you second through fourth. While I believe you are capable of more I ask you to stay at three and take some rest during the first watch as I will do during the fourth. Jace and Jaya each have ways to subdue enemies without killing and so I will ask them to split the evening at 2 watches each. a third person will take each watch as well. These will be split between Lady Darya, Cleander, Riffington, and Friend Carlos.

Torin I will need you to find the best spot for you to watch from and I will camoflage your position.

Jaya you said you have a poison that only serves to incapacitate? How much do you have and what is required to make more. With my herbalism skills I should be able with some luck to find the components you need if you know them. I would like to use some on some of my arrows so that we can capture as many as possible.

After that I shall interrogate the bandits with Riffington and Jaya.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Torin Dourguard

Post  Colin Marcus on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:44 am

"Provided we don't have people skulking about at night..." the dwarf considered thoughtfully... "Gorm provides spells that will watch the camp for eight hours or more..."

"Can't keep track of how long the nights last up here... but that should cover most of it. Gives the added bonus of we ALL get to have some shut-eye..."

"Once I cast the spell... the people who are in camp are in... and anyone coming in AFTER will instantly alert me."
avatar
Colin Marcus
Admin

Posts : 1796
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Impresk

Back to top Go down

Lady Darya

Post  Wynnsaren on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:57 am

"I don't think Jace's idea of Charming a bandit captive should be so readily dismissed. A cooperative and friendly person will always yield more reliable information than one who has been violently coerced."

"There can be only benefit to giving his magic a shot before trying to interrogate the bandits. If it does come to that, was not Cleander very helpful in frightening the information out of the orcs? With his intimidating visage in the background it could only serve to aid the interrogation, and considering your skill at information gathering I don't believe you should have issue with our wemic friend quietly looking on."

"After captives have been acquired I would like Jace to attempt to Charm one or more of them first, if you would be willing to do so my friend," she said, nodding to the mage.

_________________
Carpe DM
avatar
Wynnsaren

Posts : 742
Join date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Jace Arclight

Post  Magyc on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:43 am

"I agree that having a willing agent to help us is much better than using coercion."

"If I was able to charm him, I do think that some amount of deception might be necessary, although I am sure I could stop short of outright lying." He sighed, attempting to address the paladin's concerns. "Although I have never successfully charmed anyone, (aside from my fellow students at school during our lessons, who were not resisting) I believe it would not help our cause to tell him that we intended to enter the keep and kill his evil fellows. He would not exactly become a helpless slave to our bidding. I am sure we can come up with some persuasion that is not untrue, while not revealing the whole truth."

Turning to Nas, "I can attempt sleep from up to 30 yards away, which unfortunately is well within crossbow range. I have faith in your ability to hide me, so if need be, I would attempt it. It could affect anyone within feet of where I center it, so if our scouting is correct, with some luck I might be able to take out the guards on 1 side of the gate."

"I could also provide Friend Carlos the ability to attempt Sleep, should we decide to go this route." He paused...."If he were willing." and rolled his eyes and looked at Jaya and shrugged.
avatar
Magyc

Posts : 190
Join date : 2010-01-25

Back to top Go down

Nas Ath'quehel

Post  xarhelm on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Indeed I had forgotten that he mentioned the spell earlier that would be the easiest way to get the information. We shall use it first only resorting to interrogation if we must. with that said these are not farmers or simple bandits as we have labled them. From the rumors I have heard about town my guess is these are a mercenary group. Simple intimidation will not work. They have been trained to ingnore such simple approaches. I will not use physical torture. However I have no issue decieving them into believing anything I deem fit. I will not have any priests whose moral code may be in danger of getting a little dirty as part of the group.


Last edited by Gwilly on Fri May 07, 2010 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name needed in subject heading)
avatar
xarhelm

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Jayashree

Post  WoTmaster on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Jaya had been listening carefully to the discussion about what they should plan to do about the bandits. Would she be willing to sneak in and get a peek at their forces on the inside? She pondered the pros and cons to that plan. It is true that it would be greatly risky to her own well being. However, if she succeeded it would greatly increase the likelihood of survival of her comrade in whatever plan they could enact with the intel.

She took a deep breath and reminded herself to speak loudly, well, loudly for her. "I am willing to try to sneak inside and gather intelligence for us. It would greatly improve our chances of any plan succeeding and I would be the only one taking a risk. It makes sense." She paused for breath and to let her words sink in. "I will go along with whatever plan is deemed the most viable, but if it is decided to attempt to infiltrate their territory to scout their numbers and defenses I recommend the minimal number to go. The fewer the less likely to be discovered and the fewer risked."
avatar
WoTmaster

Posts : 281
Join date : 2009-09-20
Age : 40
Location : My Computer Room :)

Back to top Go down

Re: Bagging the Bandits

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum