The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
'The Grey' Review EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
'The Grey' Review EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
'The Grey' Review EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
'The Grey' Review EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
'The Grey' Review EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
'The Grey' Review EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
'The Grey' Review EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
'The Grey' Review EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
'The Grey' Review EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

'The Grey' Review

2 posters

Go down

'The Grey' Review Empty 'The Grey' Review

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Rated R, Action/Thriller

Opinion going in: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Opinion coming out: Sad

Language: Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Apparently, being in a plane crash and being hunted by wolves... completly destroys a person's vocabulary. Everything was F this, and F that... Seriously... EVERYTHING. It reminded me of some kind of 'inner-city high school gang' movie.

Action: Smile Smile Lots of shaky cam. There was a serious feeling of panic and threat that drug you in... but ehhh... not what I was hoping for.

Heroic Violence/Gore: Shocked Shocked Shocked There was SOME.... I'm not sure if there's as much as I remember. There were lots of goreing and biting... and the 'remenents' of victims... but honestly combined with the shakey cam it was hard to know exactly WHAT I was supposed to have just seen. You just know that whatever it was.,... was supposed to be BAD....

Nudity/'Character development': Nada. Lots of talk... but thankfully nothing else pale

SPECIAL EFFECTS: What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face I remember hearing how the cgi wolves were 'spotty at best'... honestly I give it better credit than that. I was never sure where the real wolves were and where the fake ones were, so that's probably as good of praise as you can give...

REVIEW

I was very disappointed. Another example of where horrid language ruined a movie for me. The plot was excellent. The scenery was gorgeous. I LOVE Liam Neeson.... And the review I read were going four stars all around....

So I REALLY had high hopes...

Honestly, after watching this... I wish I had saved my free ticket for something else. It was basically 'the Edge' with Anthony Hopkins. However, the Edge did the same movie with less foul language and was completly enjoyable..

Now I want to watch THAT again Smile
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

'The Grey' Review Empty Re: 'The Grey' Review

Post  The Sub-Creator Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:06 pm

When the voice-over at the beginning of the film told you that the guys that worked for this Alaskan oil conglomerate were rough and tumble fellows who were sent out there into the middle of nowhere because most were ex-convicts and the like . . . well, immediately you probably realize you're dealing with an entirely different element than "The Edge" threw at you. Wink

The language was nasty, but the element of characters dealt with in the show set you up for that.

Perhaps I'm getting used to the shaky cam thing, because I honestly had no issues with it at all. I was able to decipher the majority of what went on without difficulty, and even found myself on the edge of my seat in a couple of the situations in the film. I give them loads of credit for that because it rarely happens with me (especially in a film that isn't one I'm truly looking forward to, such as "Lord of the Rings" or the new Batman films). The story-telling was honestly very good . . .

. . . up to that point. And when we reached that point, I was sorely, agonizingly, disastrously disappointed . . .

That point didn't entirely ruin the film for me, but it tried awfully hard!

I don't know if the script was written like that or someone made an executive decision, but whomever did so should never, never, never, ever work in the film industry again.

I won't say there weren't films that have done this premise better. Absolutely there were! This one was pretty decent for what it was though: a great lead for Liam Neeson and a way to make wolves look incredibly cool! (No more will I have doubts about wolf attacks in my games, thank you very much!)

Then, that happened . . . Evil or Very Mad

/shudders

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum