The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
A Turn About the Campsite EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
A Turn About the Campsite EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
A Turn About the Campsite EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
A Turn About the Campsite EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
A Turn About the Campsite EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
A Turn About the Campsite EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
A Turn About the Campsite EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
A Turn About the Campsite EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
A Turn About the Campsite EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

A Turn About the Campsite

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Turn About the Campsite Empty A Turn About the Campsite

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Rova the 9th, 4712

Wynnsaren groaned in delight as she loosened the tight braids from her hair and scratched her fingernails over the abused scalp.

The ride from Akiros upon the shadowy steeds summoned by Zaistrun had been a first for the aasimar, and quite honestly a terrifying experience! She'd learned to trust her own mount, Xiaobo but even then, maintaining top speed for any length of time was an exhausting exercise in concentration. When the world began only thirty feet away, you needed to be on top of your game at a gallop! These summoned mounts however, nearly flew across the plain in ground-eating strides the likes of which Xiaobo only could dream of! The world blurred past her at such dizzying speeds, that Wynn could only hold on for dear life and watch the rump of the mount in front of her to keep from casting up her accounts.

Matsuro Shi had spent one blessed hour of reprieve in Restov for a meal while Sarala did a little poking around for some information on how the Brevoy conflict was progressing. What had been gleaned, she found herself largely pleased by, though her opinion was kept to herself. Novastasia was to remain neutral after all but in her heart, Wynnsaren was decidedly not so.

Back down the path they rode, keeping a blistering pace, until they reached an abandoned fort that was familiar to the group. It would be a good place to rest for the evening.

Exhausted as she was, Wynnsaren was stubbornly dragging her feet regarding finding some actual sleep. The thought of climbing the rope into that tiny, starless hole and shutting herself in there for the evening did not sit particularly well. It was an excellent plan! Safe! Efficient! Zaistrun's magic was undoubtedly a great boon to the company but to the aasimar, crawling into a box and closing out the song of the stars was tantamount to affixing herself to a rack for torture!

So instead she delayed the inevitable and kept her discomfiture to herself as she soaked in the familiar song and watched the coals of the small cooking fire cool to a dull, orange glow.

The night deepened and one by one her companions hoisted themselves up the rope with their gear and disappeared. When the magister moved to do the same, Wynnsaren called out to him softly.

"Zaistrun, my friend? Would you sit with me for a few moments before we retire? There is something that I have been meaning to speak with you about."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A Turn About the Campsite Empty Zaistrun Garess

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm

The people of Novastacia were resiliant if there was anything to be said about them. With many buildings destroyed they still were able to make a recovery faster than Zaistrun expected. There was not quite the hopeful optimism of Restov at this point, but he expected the peaceful life in the port city to emerge from it's shadow and come back into the light. The king was interested in making that Cathedral happen, and it would be possible when they were able to rebuild what they had lost.

During the ride the sorcerer's mind was on business, as he found it an important distraction from the long ivory hair whipping in the wind in front of him. The horses were remarkably well behaved and they rode with surprising comfort considering their speed if one could get over the rate at which the ground whipped by their feet. Zaistrun loved it. The blur of green and brown underneath them helped him concentrate. Three or four months, depending on how the mines were able to produce and whether or not there was enough to rebuild Tatzelford on site.

All things were returning to normal. It was nice that Wynn was feeling better too. He figured he didn't have to write Rasven another letter since Wynn probably had taken care of the issue. Thad was a little put out that Z had written him, but more put out that no one had told him a visiting dignitary was visiting our castle without his notice or permission. The sorcerer wasn't sorry at all. He had only one friend to do nice things for since they had brought a strange venture captain that he didn't know instead of Astarton.

Was Astarton okay? It had been years since he had heard from him. Perhaps he was dead. Who would help him understand his stones? Perhaps, who buried him and would say nice words over his grave? He made a mental note to get over his distrust of the new venture captain and go meet her and ask her about him.

Before he knew it was happening, the end of their day was at hand. As Zaistrun prepared the extra-dimensional spell for their protection that night, his friend came to him with a reasonable request. "I would be glad to talk with you about anything you would like. Shall we take a turn about the campsite?"
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

A Turn About the Campsite Empty Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:49 pm

"That would be lovely." Wynn smiled and she rose to her feet, glad of the proffered gentlemanly arm for support as her jellied legs were increasingly uncooperative after the day's ride.

The pair strolled a few paces away before she spoke again. "It has come to my attention that you sent notice of my condition to Master Winter after the siege, and I wanted to thank you personally for that consideration. It was the act of a true friend," the aasimar patted his hand fondly.
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Zaistrun looked genuinely pleased, although his face showed very little change. "You are more than welcome. I try to treat all my friends well. I'll admit that I've never been exceptionally good at it, but it pleases me that I was able to succeed in this case. I figured that you would have seen this coming and would have warned him anyway, but it would have been courteous to inform him of the details which sometimes your visions leave out."

He continued to guide her around the cooking fire and the rope trick spell he had previously cast. It didn't play well with certain magical bags that they had to bury and it was a bit snug but other than that it worked quite well to keep sneaky things like Dark Naga from creeping up on them in the dark. "Thad was complaining about it actually when you arrived in the council room, so it was cut short a slight bit. I thank you for that."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm

"His Majesty," Wynnsaren stressed gently, using the title wholly due the ruler of Novastasia, "mentioned that exchange to me yesterday. You must understand that it was not personal, for Akiros is in a vulnerable state at the moment and with Brevoy being in upheaval and unknowns on either side, King Thaddeus is only concerned for our young nation. He is acting every inch the king he has been encouraged to be.

"So while it may not have been universally popular, I know why you did it and I find myself in your debt. You see, any foresight I am given is most usually specific to the purpose that brings me to the area. The threat that even now leads us on the path to Kirya," she explained. "Occasionally I will receive a knowing of something outside that purpose, but I have never been given prescience of my own future. Such things are not for me to know.

"This is why I was especially grateful for your aid in the matter, for Master Winter did know of the incoming hordes of the Red Doom so he may have been especially concerned after not receiving a missive from me for weeks. Thank you for understanding that."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm

Zaistrun continued his pleasant look. "Ah, I suppose I should be more respectful of the king. Since I'm the one who most often in the place of correction in such an offense, it's rather hypocritical of me to treat him too familiar. Consider me chastened."

He then took a more serious look. "I did not know you did not have premonitions about yourself. I had assumed from Kasmir's emotional ranting that you did know, thinking that he had a tighter understanding than me due to the time you have spent together. It's no wonder that Rasven visited you so often since I came off like I didn't know what was going on. We will have to continue our weekly tea so as to fill up what is lacking in my knowledge so I can better serve your interests."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm

"I would very much enjoy picking back up with our little ritual after this unexpected hiatus," she began with a warm smile. "The topic holds little bearing in truth, though I must admit interest in learning if there have been any more developments with your own. . .condition."

Wynnsaren brushed her hand gently over his sleeve, where she knew the strangely beautiful gems lay studding his skin just beneath.
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 pm

"I've grown more." He stopped for a second to be steady and to show her the stones. He drew back his sleeve on his left arm, the one she wasn't holding, and showed her the gems in his skin. He passed over the large green gem on the back of his hand, the largest of all of them. An odd shaped stone that turned into a scorpion that crawled out of his skin. Malachite was a bit hard to get used to. He went past the spinel gem, that appeared along with the orange vanadinite crystal on his other arm about the time of the siege at Oleg's. Then there was the white topaz, and the amethyst before getting to the new moonstone.

"I'm not exactly sure what this is for yet, but these things come to me instinctively. I'm sure Astarton could give me some insights, as he was incredibly knowledgable of Ioun stones, having quite a few more than I do. I was hoping he would show up along with the Pathfinders, but I haven't seen him yet. I hope he is okay." He got a far away look in his eye for a second.

He straightened his arm and hid his gems again under the long sleeve. "I have another Dravite in the sleeve you are holding. It also disappears when I exert myself magically. So there are nine now. The right ones continue to be larger, excepting Malachite and two of them disappear when I cast spells. The ones on the left glow when I cast certain spells. The Diopside here on the right wrist glows whenever I use a Transmutation spell, then Identify, Invisibility, Dispel Magic and I'm not exactly sure. Maybe we will find out on this trip."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 am

Wynnsaren returned her gaze to the sorcerer's after the lovely new moonstone he'd sprouted was covered up.

"I did not realize that some of the gems had been growing larger with time. That is quite fascinating," she noted, brows arching delicately. "I do hope that your friend Astarton will be able to join the Pathfinder contingent here soon, that he might share some understanding of what is happening to you. No doubt he will be quite surprised at the developments!"

The pair began their meandering circuit anew as she continued.

"It was well done of you to attract the Pathfinders to Akiros, Lord Garess. They will bring with them knowledge, a strengthened economy, and certainly an additional sense of legitimacy to those nations who still see us as an upstart kingdom. Heavens know I tire of hearing that!" She added with a grin.

"You told me before that Astarton had been sent on assignment and that you had not heard from him in some time. Do you know where he had been sent that might detain him for so long?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:35 am

Zaistrun let out a measured sigh. "He got caught up in an expedition to find some lost city of gold in the middle of the Mwangi Jungle, wherever that is. It's not the distance that bothers me, it's just that I haven't heard any notice from him since I started this venture with the Medvyeds. He would have loved to see my arms." He took a moment and inhaled deeply, regaining the minuscule loss of composure.

"But thank you. I knew the Pathfinders would be an economic boon to the area, as well as a personal advantage for me and my friend. But it was the economic reasons I am most interested in right now. The mercenaries you negotiated really did help us out in that last battle. Had we been able to get more soldiers with experience and training, we would have been able to save so many more lives."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 am

"That is true," she nodded solemnly. "I pray that there never is a next time but if so, than Novastasia will be more prepared for such a siege. Economically and militarily. The nation has been badly bloodied yet she still stands, and she will be stronger for it."

The aasimar was silent for the span of a few strides. Delivering her thanks was but one of the reasons she wished to speak with Zaistrun Garess this evening, and with his mention of the Pathfinder Astarton's expedition to the Mwangi Expanse, that second reason was brought to the forefront of her mind.

The orb had been in her possession for ten months now, with no one other than Kazimir knowing that she carried it or to whom it belonged. She had scoured the libraries of Akiros and Mivon for information regarding its abilities and came up with only the most basic knowledge of what it was, but it seemed that Master Winter's crystal sphere had very unique properties the likes of which would take a good deal more research to discover. Wynnsaren was out of her depth and she knew it. It was high time she brought in the heavy hitters!

"There was another matter with which I hoped to garner your aid, my friend," she finally spoke up. "A personal matter. . . I know I can count on your discretion, for these are not my secrets to be sharing, yet I find myself having exhausted my meager avenues of research. I have hit a wall and you are much more experienced in such areas than I. Would you be so inclined to have a look at a certain magical item for me?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 am

Zaistrun frowned. If one cannot have secrets with a friend, then I cannot think of anyone to whom having one would be worthwhile. But she was nervous for some reason. A magic item? Why wouldn't he look at it? It was all very confusing, but she was a friend, so he would allow her the incovenience of having all the answers. After all, he rarely understood women as it was. It was likely a lost cause.

"I will gladly keep your secret as long as you think I should keep it. I am a bit curious as to why, but I'm sure that will reveal itself in time. I haven't yet found an item that eluded me for long. Do you want me to look at it here, while we are still in sight of the campsite, or do you want me to take a look at it later, where curious eyes may not see?"
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:42 am

"Here and now if you do not mind," Wynn replied with excited alacrity. "The only reason I have kept it a secret is because I am not sure what its full potential is, and it is not mine you see. Master Winter allowed me possession of it for a time so that I might explore its significance. It 'gives him hope' he said. Obviously the item is of great importance to him and it represents something that he was not able to tell me directly. A puzzle! If it is something of great value and of a deeply personal nature to him, than it would hardly do for me to go bandying its existence about."

Bringing a halt to her rambling, the aasimar turned away briefly, discreetly removing the perfectly spherical, egg-sized orb from a special pocket sewn on the inside of her riding dress, then held it out for the Magister to receive. "This has been burning a hole in my bodice since it was given to me. . .

"I have learned only that it is an eye orb," she offered quietly. "This crystal lifted my blindness and allowed me to see a sunset for the first time, but from what I have read, such orbs should only have allowed me to see a fraction of that distance. The sight I was given should not have been possible if this item was one of the more well-known sort."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 am

"Hmm...", said the sorcerer, focused entirely on the new bauble. The sorcerer took it, and turned it over looking at it from all sides. He was glad that he didn't need to worry about keeping this secret, but simply needed to focus on the task of figuring out what it is. "Gives Winter hope, sight to the blind and burns holes in bodices." Truly a fascinating piece!

Holding the item in one hand, he waved his other hand over the orb speaking incantations that allowed him to focus his magical energies. The blue in his eyes crystallized, shining a pale light as the spinel on his wrist also started shining through his robe and out then end slightly, giving a light purple glow on the object.

And then his eyes started to bleed.

A vein in his forehead bulged, as did every tendon in his neck as he stubbornly refused to look away for as long as he could stand it, while two tears of blood slowly ran from the outside corners of his eyes. His eyes, now bloodshot, squinted at the orb and his eyes practically turned blue as his irises slammed shut to the size of a pinhole.

Finally, he slammed his eyes shut and turned away from the orb, squeezing his eyes shut very tight, and he clamped his free hand over his eyes, for a moment, and then he felt like she would interrupt, and he held that hand out toward her, palm first. "Hold on," he said. "Don't heal me yet. I'm studying the after image."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:25 pm

All coloring drained from Wynnsaren's face as she watched what the orb was doing to her friend! What in the hells was going on?! This was certainly unlike any other attempt at Identification that she'd previously witnessed!

A softly glowing hand prepped with a spell of healing, darted out, halting just inches from his head but only per his request. The aasimar held it there, eyes wide with fright and guilt. . .waiting. While she didn't want to interrupt the sorcerer's thoughts, Wynn was more than a little concerned as she saw the blood leaking between the fingers of the hand he'd placed over his eyes.

Just what was this item that Rasven had entrusted to her?
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A Turn About the Campsite Empty Re: A Turn About the Campsite

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:39 pm

"I think I understand now. I'll try to explain." He put his hand down and allowed her to heal him. Relief washed over him as he straightened back up. It was a little embarrassing that he flinched like that, and he hoped he didn't give her undue worry, but it had been a long time since he'd been properly surprised.

"This orb is.." he paused for a moment and spoke nearly breathlessly, "...marvelous. There are at least five layers deep of understanding concerning the object that I was able to penetrate. I'm not sure if that is all, but I can tell you what I do know." With the blood having stopped on his face, he actually smirked. It wasn't a full smile, but the corners of his mouth were clearly exited about what he had just seen, and he was brimming with excitement.

"The first layer is obvious, it's visual appeal. It was well crafted and made beautiful through excellent workmanship, and very old.
A nonmagical piece would go for about two hundred gold pieces at market. The second layer is simply that it is magical, which one cannot see with the naked eye. The third you have scraped already because you know is called the Eye Orb. It will give you perfect darkvision for forty yards for about a minute when you say avioxte. But then it gets really exciting." He paused for breath, and to compose himself before he continued.

"The fourth layer is one that the ancients called 'mythos'. An item of such grandeur could only be made by the gods themselves, or those approaching their majesty. Razmir, the Runelords, Nex, Geb, Savith, the Whispering Tyrant, Treerazer. Names of legend and myth, able to approach the impossible can use this orb to grant themselves True Seeing through willing it to happen. It responds to such as those, so it must have been used as such at some point."

"It was when I perceived this the blood started to flow. When one reaches beyond their station, it can be hard on the body. When I am taxed, it has been a while since it's happened to me, but it often took place when I was first learning magic. My mother was distraught when she saw it, because it meant that I was not following her instructions to create magic. But that's neither here nor there." He was babbling now, but he tried to stay on topic.

"And the fifth. The fifth layer was like looking at the sun. There is something divinely powerful in there. There is an impossibility in there. You should not have seen that sunset. Your blindness is relatively common for those who are oracles. One of my students had a cousin who was blinded as well, but divinely gifted. That an item should take away the price of your divine power without affecting your power is something only the gods can do as they granted you the power in the first place."

He lowered himself down and sat on the grass as the cold wind blew on them from over the mountains. He sighed heavily as if he had just worked a full day in the mines and was now just getting to sit down to his evening meal.

"It was too much for me. When I get stronger, I would like another try if I can. Also, there is a spell that high mages can cast, and sometimes very well-traveled bards called legend lore. It can take weeks to cast, and it can give you more of the information you might seek. If you could find a scroll of it, I have a decent chance of being able to activate it for you."

He looked over at her with his blue orbs still shining. "Thank you for that. Really. That was something I will remember to my dying day." As he spoke honestly, his armor cracked for a moment and his face softened. The slight breeze blew his hair across his shoulders as they sat in the dying light. He looked like merely a boy who had just eaten dessert as he relaxed, arching his neck to look up at the stars.

Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Upon its return, Wynnsaren rolled the orb over her hands, gazing at it in wonderment.  An impossibility, Zaistrun had said.  Something divinely powerful.  "What is it that you wanted me to see, my dear Rasven?"  She murmured softly to herself.  "How does this crystal represent your hope?"  One thought came immediately to mind, for there was one subject in particular that the merchant prince could not speak of without dire consequences.  

His Oath.

Could this magical orb somehow free him from the torment inflicted upon him?  When Lis had spoken with her all those months ago, he'd mentioned that he believed his master was still seeking something in the Mwangi.  Was that search related to the orb?  She yet had so very many questions, but slowly the pieces of the puzzle were being revealed.  The Pathfinders provided the chance at much new knowledge that could aid her in the search.  If indeed they were pulling in information from new finds in the Expanse, then perhaps they would have something on such a clearly powerful item!  

Wynn took a last look into the pristine depths of the orb before tucking it carefully back into the hidden pocket within her bodice.

She turned to speak to her friend and was startled by the change that had come over him.  There was a serenity and transparency about him just now that she'd not seen in the years since she'd known the sorcerer, and she did not want to so immediately break this spell.

The aasimar sat down beside him and leaned back, propping herself up on her hands and turning her face toward the celestial symphony.

"Though it is clear that I am no expert on mothers," Wynnsaren spoke up at length, giving voice to her thoughts, "it seems a shame that your mother wished to fashion you in her own image rather than see the beauty in your own special connection with magic.  You have a great gift, Zaistrun.  One day she will come to see that."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:02 pm

The sorcerer shrugged stiffly, as if he wasn't exactly sure how it were done. "I just looked at an impossible thing. There may yet be more. You've never been wrong before. How she reacts when she does see it... well, you might not want to be there to see that." A mirthless chuckle seized him for a moment and it quickly passed.

He looked over at his friend and added. "I do have a gift, it's true. I might even be able to surpass my mother someday. It's hard to say for sure though. She was a terribly powerful wizard in her own right before she left and we can be sure she has not been idle since she departed. She was never one to sit still. It's probably where I got it from."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Both surprised and pleased by the unexpected openness, she pressed ahead gently but driven by a deep curiosity about the man beside her.

"Never one to sit still," Wynn reiterated the comment. "Do you mean physically or mentally? Or both?" She offered a warm smile and bumped her shoulder playfully against her friend's. "Do you have something of a wanderlust as well? I have always believed it to be your circumstances that have dictated your travels thus far, but perhaps you aspire to great and adventurous journeys one day?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:05 pm

He took the smile and the bump with class and accompanied it with a nod of his head. "I would like to do some exploration, yes. I was tempted to track down Astarton, perhaps as far as the Mwangi. But there are a few tethers that keep my heart here. I like to finish a job, for one. I cannot leave Akiros until it becomes a great city, greater than New Stetven. I believe that it will not even take terribly long to do, provided we can keep from a plethora of expensive wars."

He stared back up at the sky with a wistful expression. "I want my family to see that they might demean me, but I have been very necessary to the success of their neighbor while they continue to diminish. It may indeed be petty, but despite all of my harsh words, I do want my family to be proud of me. The road to respect is the one I travel now, but I would like to travel a few other roads before my time is complete."

"I'd like to participate in a Chelish Opera, and view the ruby mine in the Five Kings Mountains. I would like to sit among the researchers of ancient Thassalon amidst the monuments of Magnimar. I'd like to travel the planes and visit Mechanus or the City of Brass. Perhaps someday, but until then I've got plenty to keep me busy." He put one of his boots atop the other, just to try it and then put them back solidly on the ground.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:19 am

Hearing these hopes and dreams from the elusive man caused her to smile all the wider, and caused her to appreciate him all the more. She wished to pursue this 'Chelish Opera' revelation, but a previous comment concerned her.

"Zaistrun Garess, you are already respected," Wynn offered honestly as she crossed her own boots as if to show him how it was done. "You are held in high regard by all of Novastasia and by all of your friends; everyone who knows you and has eyes to see the excellent and profitable works you have accomplished here in such a short time! Your work with the children. . . The ingenious plan for the system of locks so that we might use the river as a more effective route for trade. . . Not to mention your work to build up the library in Akiros and a school for those who display magical talent!

"You are a great boon to this nation, my lord. You are a great boon to those of us who are fortunate enough to name you as friend. If you seek respect from those who have none to give, you will ever be disappointed. That road is fraught with peril and I fear for you if that is indeed the one you wish to tread. You deserve some happiness in this life. You deserve some peace. Neither of these things you will find in pursuit of your family's respect. Forgive me for saying that, Zaistrun, for it is not my place to insult your family, but you deserve better than they have to give."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:35 am

Zaistrun tried the shrug again, this time it seemed to go better. "I understand it's a fools' errand and you are doing me a service to remind me as such. But I've been told I can't do or accomplish things so often that I am not ready to believe you on this one. Not that you have not proven yourself, but because I have yet to do so. 'Everything is impossible until someone accomplishes it.' Astarton taught me that.

"People have said that it was impossible to tame the Stolen Lands. My mother told me I would never master magic. My first foreman told me I'd never lead a profitable mine. My brothers told me I'd never win a fight. I thought that Thad would never get married. And we were all right, until we were wrong. You've never steered me wrong before, but I hope that you might eventually be wrong here." He said this bit without malice or bitterness, and he turned to take a look in the eyes of his friend.

"My family was once good, once virtuous and strong. There were many paladins on my father's side. But their decadence has dulled their fighting spirit and their laziness has brought them subjugation. I want to believe that there is hope for all of them, but even if they never change, I want to be the man who would make them proud if they were thinking rightly again. And that kind of man would continue to attempt the impossible."

"Novastacia has extremely high literacy due to my efforts. The Acadamae I am building is also highly unusual but may be a greater place of learning than anywhere else in Avistan. The Shrike River was said to be unsuitable to make into a tradeway. This is but the start. I have accomplished much, yes, but compared to what I will accomplish, I have barely begun.

"I suppose that's why I liked this orb of yours so much. It showed me impossible things, indeed some of the things I am seeking. Something so small and seemingly insignificant truly holding unimaginable power. I can see why it gives him hope."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Wynnsaren considered that a moment. There was something more to this orb than just it's significance as an object of great power, she felt. Something more personal to Master Winter. Perhaps even a part of him was tied to the item, which could explain how he was able suddenly teleport directly into her room. There would be plenty of time to ponder the subject later, for it could be quite a while until she had the opportunity to learn more about this orb she safeguarded.

"I too hope that I am wrong about your family, my friend," she offered warmly. "I would have you find such fulfillment in that area of your life. To seek to accomplish the impossible is to stretch one's self, and the pursuit of power is not dangerous as a means to an end. You will need to be ready for the Encroaching Shadow, for example. You will all need to be ready. . . I only worry when the pursuit of power becomes the end game."

Closing her eyes gently, the aasimar turned her face toward the celestial lights.

"The stars sing of great men and women ground to dust over such pursuits, their souls warped and twisted as they reach far beyond themselves for power that they should not attain and in doing so, they compromise their morality, their friends and their people in the process.

"I do not see that your heart is turned down such paths, but I only offer warning. Power has the most seductive of voices. Keep your purpose ever in sight, lest you be lured off course by her.

"There are of course other avenues in life worth pursuing in addition should the opportunity present itself," Wynn arched an eyebrow and turned her head ever so slightly to peer at the Magister out of the corner of her eye. "Speaking of which, how are things between you and Sarala?"
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 am

The sorcerer nodded his agreement. "You are aware of the Runelords from which I am descended. Despite their lust for power, they never attained the greatness of Xin. Power is only useful as means. If there is no purpose for the power, all it can cause is destruction, and their empire fell. Whereas wanton destruction is seductive, it's hardly worth pursuing. I've seen enough examples of that."

"The only power worth pursuing is the power to enrich and encourage others to be their best or to protect those who are worth protecting. The Academy I'm building for example will allow me to teach those who are not able to be taught the normal academic arcane magic. Witches, sorcerers, bards and alchemists will all be allowed and encouraged to come and learn, and given good examples of role models for those who have had families that do not understand. If I had that when I was learning magic, I might not have made the mistakes I've made."

When Sarala was mentioned, Zaistrun sighed. "I only have room in my heart for one love. I confessed my love, and she said she would like to be better business associates. It is possible that she was merely deflecting me entirely or that she simply was overwhelmed and needed time. Right before the war I purchased her baked goods in an auction, granting me the right of an evening out on the town with her which she cannot refuse. I hope to make it special, and was waiting until after the wedding to do it, but things have been rather hectic since. When we get back I hope to make something happen."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Rather hectic was an understatement of a lifetime!

In spite of Wynnsaren's very personal abhorrence of the idea of 'purchasing' a person with any[ form of currency. . .even baked goods, she was glad of the opportunity it afforded Zaistrun.

"Persistence is an excellent quality, my friend, and boldness a second," she smiled brightly and leaned back once again on her arms, staring sightlessly up at the stars. "Your dogged pursuit of Sarala's affection will one day reap a harvest. I look forward to that day.

"Additionally, I cannot help but notice that things between you two have seemed less strained. . . Less. . . well, openly hostile to be frank," she smirked thinking of the uncomfortable bickering during the Lurkers in the Light situation, "so perhaps successful business associates was a good first step."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

A Turn About the Campsite Empty Re: A Turn About the Campsite

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum