The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

The Sharpest Blade

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 Empty Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:52 am

"Thank you for that..." he said somberly. "I'll do my best to deserve it." It always shook him to hear this from Wynn or Sarala. He rarely recognized the qualities that others claimed he had. In his mind he was still the third son trying to make his own way. Though that wasn't entirely true anymore... Even if he wasn't king here... he was now the oldest of the Medvyed boys... Still difficult to wrap his head around.

"It seems I've been behaving quite poorly... You always seem to know when I need a smack on the back of my head," he said with a smirk. "Few here would ever consider telling me what I need hear like that. One of many reasons I enjoy our talks.

"Speaking of which, what are your plans now that you've finished at Skywatch? Will you be around more or is there some new clue you have to follow before our deadline?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 Empty Wynnsaren

Post  Wynnsaren Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:33 am

Wynnsaren chuckled and shook her head. "I think I rather enjoy our rides and snowball fights more than I enjoy these kind of talks, but I am grateful that you are willing to hear me out." It was a fine line to walk when confronting a king. Friend or no, she felt as if she'd been pushing her luck during this little conversation but luck had seen her through difficult situations before and it did here once again. The aasimar made a mental note to add that thanks to her Desnan prayers this evening.

"The work at Skywatch is done, yes. Yesterday I transported the ancient cyclopean tomes to Silverhall where they might be magically preserved and safely stored in Master Winter's library. Kazimir and Glas have returned as well," she smiled wistfully. "The ranger and his space lion are bound to lead a caravan through Brevoy now that the war is effectively over. Rebuilding is expensive as you well know and the merchants here are slavering at the money that will be made. Kaz is just glad to be heading out on the road again after sitting in that ruined city for so long, and I certainly cannot blame him for that!

"I will be heading out on a road of sorts myself," Wynnsaren continued. "We have nine locations in which the Dreamer may arise, and I intend on familiarizing myself with each of them. That journey will likely take up the time remaining to us, so I expect that this will be the last time I see you until. . .then."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 Empty Thaddeus

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:07 pm

"His space lion?" Thaddeus' eyebrows shot up at that comment. He wasn't as sure about the surly ranger's ability to control Glas as he was Wynn. Even if he kept a strong grip on his leash, the creature from the sky wouldn't be well accepted in society. Kazimir could be inviting quite a bit of trouble here. He hoped he'd never regret letting Wynn save one of the cubs in their first meeting.

That thought was crushed out of his mind when she admitted to an extended absence from Akiros. "I suppose you do travel easier alone then when we met don't you... Still, I hope you're careful out there. I expect that the Dreamer will have a few minions of his own scouting out these locations as well... It was their map you're following after all."

He didn't like the idea of her traveling without Kaz and Glas, but he understood the need. One of the limitations to teleporting magic was the need to know the area. Reconnaissance would be infinitely valuable.

"If you need anything at all, I hope you won't hesitate to let me know." He smirked a little as he thought of the changes over the last few years. "I'd say send a silver raven... but you've shown you're faster then the birds now."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:49 pm

"I will be cautious," she assured, "and I thank you for your offer."

Wynnsaren well knew that this was not just some sort of platitude he extended. Whether the business was personal or for the kingdom, he was always willing to aid her in every endeavor and for that she was wholly grateful.

"Regarding Glas, perhaps I should have said our space lion." A grin accompanied the clarification. "Kaz and Glas have developed a very close bond since my seclusion at Skywatch and they have been nigh inseparable. As I cannot take them on the journey with me, and taking into consideration what we will be facing, the akata will be best looked after in the ranger's care.

"I do not intend on giving up all parental rights however," Wynn chuckled. "There is a place for Glas at Silverhall once this is over; lots of space for him to roam and fields for him to run. When I leave Novastasia, he will accompany me."

The final cherry was delicately devoured as she glided leisurely beside the monarch, thinking of what lay ahead and even considering hesitant plans for the future.

"Along that vein, I wish to express to you additional thanks for the generous accommodations you have afforded me these past years. It is a rare mission where I am given quarters within a castle!" She smiled up at the king. "As my time is coming to an end however, I have finished clearing out the rest of my belongings and returning those things which I have borrowed. That tower is now officially unoccupied and ready for a more permanent resident."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

These comments left a sadness in the king that he tried hard to squash. He knew her feelings towards Master Winter and their impending nuptiuals were a good thing for her. However, with the growing list of losses this he'd suffered this week, the idea of her tower room emptied out didn't sit well with him at all. He clung to the fact that unlike the others... though leaving, he'd still see her again.

"This is your home Wynnsaren," he said with smile. "I know you've had trouble setting roots down in the past, and are looking toward Silverhall for the future... But you were a part of creating this kingdom. You've shed blood, sweat, and tears helping to forge it and defend it. You will always have a place here and friends who hope you visit often.

"We've been to the moon and back my friend... I'll be very disappointed indeed if I don't get a few more snowball fights come snowfall.

He raised an eyebrow curiously. "Speaking of disappointment, have you told Kazimir about... Glas' future living arrangements?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:30 pm

The oracle smiled at the heartwarming sentiments. In spite of all the tragedy that had occurred during this mission, she knew that if she walked away, that she'd be walking away from it with friends that would never be forgotten. So much had passed between them and there was much yet to come.

"Ahh, so you have finally come seeking a rematch after my glorious snowball victory! Very well, I accept," she grinned mischievously. "In Neth, we will draw up terms and wait for the appropriate weather for the perfectly packed snowball. Just know that I will not be held accountable for any further wounded pride! You will have brought this trouble upon yourself, Your Majesty." That last statement sounded so much a threat as to make no difference.

Wynn smiled up at the king. "Brevoy is not so far away and I must see to it that you do not forget me entirely. Curiosity will get the best of me and I will have little choice but to check in, and so it is not unlikely that you will find me waiting for you in a darkened study from time to time.

"Now as to future living arrangements, Kaz and I had...words on the matter," she admitted, wincing at the memory. "Rather, I had some words, he had some curses. Colorful they were, but half-hearted. I believe he is beginning to see the dichotomy between Master Winter's actions and the cultivated perceptions of others and is thus more open to the idea but too stubborn to admit it at this time. Unfortunately the months at Skywatch seemed to have hurt more than it helped. Kazimir spent a good deal of his time among Winter's ranger corps and it seems that the majority of them live in dread fear and awe of the man."

Wynnsaren drew her left hand down the side of her face as she exhaled a helpless chuckle. "There was a time when I entertained the idea of polishing his tarnished reputation, but that was before I tried to kill you. . . Now it seems he will be marrying the former ambassador of Novastasia who tried to commit regicide! At this point I think I will only be adding to his notoriety."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32 pm

"At least you failed," Thaddeus said wincing at the jest. Of the two of them only one was actually guilty of regicide. Quickly he turned the conversation away before the familiar pain

"I'm glad you've told Kaz. Secrets don't endear people to each other... and the bigger the secret the more they can tear people apart. Kaz and I may have had our differences, but he's a good man. He'd follow you to the abyss and back I suspect...

"Silverhall shouldn't be a breaking point," he said with a chuckle.

Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Wynnsaren groaned inwardly at her thoughtless faux pas. While she attributed no guilt whatsoever to the king over the recent tragedy, she had learned that this was still not at all the case in his own mind.

"It will not be," she stated, brushing the remnants of the cherries from her hands. "He is only concerned for my well-being and likewise, he is very dear to me. I hope to lure him to Silverhall with me eventually, but those are thoughts for another day."

Smiling warmly, the aasimar turned to face the king and offered a sweeping curtsy. "Your Majesty, I thank you for the time you've allowed and the graciousness you have shown by permitting me to speak freely, but my time here is waning. By your leave, I should be off to tie up a few loose ends before my departure this evening."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:57 pm

"So soon?" The disappointment in his voice was only mirrored in his face. "If this is truly our last meeting before The Dreamer comes... I'm reluctant to let it end already."

He sighed reluctantly as looked back toward the castle. "Still... you have things to do, and as you've reminded me, so do I. Our time is not our own...

"Is there anything else I can do for you before you leave?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wynnsaren Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:08 pm

The aasimar offered a fond smile. "Just stay the course." She floated closer to the king and in an almost maternal fashion, pulled a sweat-dampened strand of hair from where it had lodged itself in the scruff of his cheek. "And perhaps take a bath," she amended with a chuckle.

"As you say, our time may not be our own, but I await a day when that may not always be the case. . .a day when you may not assume that my presence immediately precedes me crying, 'Doooom!'" Wynn laughed brightly, a hopeful sound too rarely heard of late "That will be a good day."

She winked and stepped back to a distance that wouldn't make their trailing guard antsy. "Take care of yourself, please, Your Grace," she requested, extending a final curtsy, "and take care of the others. I will see you again, and when I do it will be much sooner than you will wish."
Wynnsaren
Wynnsaren

Back to top Go down

The Sharpest Blade - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sharpest Blade

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum