The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport

+3
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Penelope
Colin Marcus
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 am

If she lived a thousand years, she knew she would never grow accustomed to that brilliant smile!

"Wonderful!" she exclaimed, beaming back at Elric. "I'll ask him!"

For a moment, all the tragedy surrounding them melted away, and she happily bounded over to her two friends near the garden. Ashara wrapped both the pixie and the druid in a great hug as she knelt down next to them.

"I'm so glad you're both here," she grinned, giving Gwilly a kiss on the cheek, "I was worried about you yesterday!"

Turning to Eddick, she tugged playfully on his goatee as she addressed him. "I have a proposition for you!" She grinned with barely contained enthusiasm. "What would you think about officiating at our wedding?
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Eddick

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 am

The Druid blinked in surprise at the boisterous young priestess. She tugged on his beard! He felt and suppressed the urge to whack her atop the head before he smiled. Sometimes he forgot how young she was. She was always so grim and determined as long as he had known her. But since her love had been returned to her, she had joy in her heart that rivaled Gwilly. Her attitude was contagious as well, because here came Elric with a big smile. Rest added to thoughts of his beloved had worked wonders. It was obvious that they would have to stay together for the rest of their lives.

"Of course I will!" He said in response to her question. "I am honored that you consider me worthy for such a task." Eddick truly bubbled with excitement over the opportunity to join them together.

He looked up at the sky, noting the height of the sun. He began talking very fast and authoritatively "Well, the sun is too high to be considered dawn, so we will have to wait until tomorrow. I don't think I have ever heard of a Lathanderian wedding that didn't take place at dawn. I would have thought that you wanted to do this back in Impresk instead of here, but I can see how you might think of this place as sacred. The triumph of Lathander over Xvim happened at this particular spot. Tyranny itself was overthrown here... It's terribly poetic, but not the best place for a wedding. We will have to go back to your shrine, it is only proper."

"Gwilly! I need you to go find Therogeon and Kaber. We are going to need them to get Elric back to Impresk by morning. And it would not be good to leave them behind. We should meet back here at sundown. And make sure you help as many people today as you can, but tomorrow we have a wedding to celebrate! There is so little time!"

Eddick leaped up to his feet. "I do apologize, but there are things that I must do today. I promised... oh, what's his name that I would make more laborers for digging and triage, and then I promised the nymph that I would visit her and explain everything. Don't worry though, I will meet you here at sundown for the trip back to Impresk!"

With that Eddick's form began to change, his arms and legs lengthened and straightened, his skin became paler, and then white as his hair became thicker and straighter. Within a minute he had completely turned into a horse, stamping the ground eagerly as if anxious to be off to the races.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:20 am

The priestess watched in awe, as she always did everytime the druid transformed into that beautiful horse. She was overjoyed that their friend seemed so excited to perform their ceremony, and her heart threatened to beat completely out of her chest at the thought of being married to Elric that very next dawn! As excited as she was at the prospect however, she realized that there were a few things yet to do...

"I... I think tomorrow would be too soon to get everything ready," she said hesitantly, while a flush rose in her cheeks. "We would like Cadderly and his family to be there as well as the dwarves, and it would be rude to invite him again on such short notice. Then I think there's still more that might need to be done here tomorrow.... Plus," a smile started to spread across her face thinking of a secret that she'd been successfully keeping from betrothed, though not without difficulty. "I have a stop that I have to make before I head back to Impresk!"

"How about the fifteenth?" Ashara turned to Elric for approval as he appeared at her side. "That's three dawns from now."

Last edited by Ashara on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Eddick

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 am

The majestic white horse nodded his head in assent. Three days would be a good enough amount of time. With a flip of his tail, he was off. Creating a hundred more workers would take a few minutes, but nearer to an hour to be able to make them useful. Thornton would be able to direct them in a proper way. It would be a shame that he would not be able to make the wedding, but the looks on Elric and Ashara's faces when he first introduced Thornton to them made it seem like they would not mind that he did not attend.

The grass golem met him at the seaside, as per earlier instructions. Eddick turned back into his human form so as to be more instructive. He spent about a half hour detailing what Thornton should be doing, the contacts that Eddick had made the previous day, and what to do with the workers when they had finished cleaning up the city.

When Eddick finished his work at the seaside, he became a bird and flew off to the elm tree that Ashara had transformed. He was off to inform the nymph, why couldn't he remember her name, that she took part in thwarting the plans of Shar and allowed them to destroy Xvim, and who in the world was guarding her cave. He then would windwalk to the Spirit Soaring, and inform Cadderly and friends of the new date of the wedding. All this, and he could port back to Calimport and meet his friends at sundown.

The word again echoed in Eddick's mind. Wait a minute. Those little scamps. They had already tried to have a wedding, and they didn't inform him. Well, there were things he could do about that. He smiled to himself as he entered the nymph's cave.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:26 pm

"Three dawns from now..." He confirmed with an excited smile. Elric's heart skipped a beat or two. This was really going to happen! It had taken the combined forces of Cyric, Xvim, and Shar to stop the last wedding. There were no more obstacles left!

He watched as Eddick galloped away. Then scooped up Gwilly into a hug of his own. "I'm glad your ok, Gwilly! I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us!" He let her go and addressed both the ladies, "Has anyone seen Therogeon or Kaber? I don't think we should split up more than we already have... Let's find them together if we can."

He felt like he could fly. Which also surprised him... As much as he'd done yesterday and after the horrendous nights sleep. He shouldn't feel this good! He should still be tired, or at the very least sore. Looking at his hands again, he couldn't help raising his eyebrows and giving Ashara a questioning look. He had the distinct feeling that she may have been casting some spells on him while he slept. That might explain the roses he could still smell.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Gwilly

Post  TRU Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Once again Gwilly's mind was filled with plans for Elric and Ashara's wedding. After hearing the exchange between Ashara and Eddick over some wedding plans she really couldn't help herself. After all, she was the Official Wedding Planner!

She really needed to get back to Imprisk as soon as she could. For goodness sake, the wedding was only going to be 3 days away! The pixie couldn't remember how long it took to get back to Imprisk on her own. Come to think of it, she had never traveled to Calimport at her normal speed from Imprisk before. She pretty much knew which direction to go, but that was about it. And she had to be there early... There was so much to do! If only she could teleport like Therogeon...

THEROGEON!! Edddick had told her to find Therogeon and Kaber both! And to think that she had almost flown off the Imprisk. Eddick would have been very disappointed in her! And if she didn't find Kaber and Therogeon they might be lost forever...!

"I'll be right back!" Gwilly shouted at the lovers as she shot off into the sky. Using the spiral pattern that worked so well so many times before she flew off to find her other two friends.
TRU
TRU
Admin

https://cord.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:48 am

"Gwilly, wait!" Ashara laughed, shouting after her impulsive little friend before she got out of earshot. "Please meet us back where the temple of Lathander once stood. There's some work to do there yet. We should be near the triage tents!"

The pixie waved, hopefully acknowledging that she heard the information, and with a few furious flaps of her iridescent green wings, she was out of sight. The priestess stared after her for a few moments, wondering what exactly had just happened.

"Well, then," she chuckled, turning back to Elric, "so much for sticking together. She'll find them much more quickly than we could anyway!"

"I hope you don't mind accompanying me to the temple area... Like I mentioned there are a few things I promised to help out with, but after that, I'm at your disposal for the rest of the day! Wherever you think we're needed the most, I'll follow your lead." Ashara prayed that on this day, there wouldn't be any others dying in Elric's arms. She would do her best to see to that!
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:13 am

Elric just stared after the pixie in disbelief. "I don't think she heard a word I said..." Then he breathed a weary sigh. "I hope your right, Melamin. She should be able to find Kaber from the sky." He looked around at the devestation again. "Even here, he should stand out a bit. Therogeon'll be a little tougher."

Elric's mind started to wander back to yesterday's work. It had seemed like everywhere he'd turned he'd been needed for something. He doubted today would be much different. Well, the sun was up. He was somehow miraculously healed and rested. Though looking at the priestess he had his supsicions how that happened.

He wanted to be upset that she'd waste spells on him when so many others needed them. However he also knew that if their positions were reversed, she'd be the first one he'd heal. So he decided, if he couldn't prevent her from helping him... Then he'd best put that gift to work.

"Very well, Temple first!" He agreed offering her his arm. "We've got to start somewhere, and perhaps by now there's some kind of organization to this chaos." He scooped up the rest of his fallen gear. "Then... Wherever we're needed most. "
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:57 am

After gathering up her armor and pack, she threaded her arm through Elric's and walked with him to the ruins of The House of the Holy Dawn. In the morning light, the horrors of the prievious night was more easily seen. Bodies lay unclaimed in the streets. Children crying for lost and missing parents. People walking around dazed after their entire world had just been shattered. By the time they reached the temple area, all of Ashara's boisterous energy had been leeched from her. Back to business. At least for another day or two.

It was easier today working beside Elric. Knowing he was near allowed her to focus on the task at hand without having her mind divided. Using a combination of spells, she was able to Create enough food and water to feed about five hundred people for the day, but she knew that was just a drop in the bucket. Thankfully it seemed as if the citizens of Calimport were already banding together in support of one another. It would take time to rebuild, but the city would rise again. Of that she was sure.

Her main concern was what powers would rise to take control of the city... Nearly everything above ground had been destroyed. The districts housing the ruling class had been leveled, as well as nearly all the good-aligned temples. Ashara knew what lay beneath their feet in the Muzad, and she knew that the priests of Shar would seek to exploit the vacuum of power left in the wake of Xvim's destruction. After putting an earth elemental to use digging out the remaining priests of Lathander buried in the rubble of the temple, she was able to Raise four of them. Though she couldn't save them all, she wanted to see to it that the Morninglord would remain a powerful force of hope and light in this city.

The High Morninglord had recuperated well from being Raised the previous day, and he was leading the healing and recovery efforts in what used to be the Jewel Ward. Ashara worked happily under his direction, not wanting to take away from his authority here in his city. She had hopes that he would rise to prominence and play a powerful roll in keeping the darkness at bay.

After the work she had intended to do at the temple was complete, she approached Elric with a smile, wrapping an arm around his waist. "I was hoping our friends would have found us by now, but I guess it is quite a large city. I'm sure they'll be here soon... My Sacred Guardian spell is still active, so I know they are not in danger. They are probably just working as we are!"

Ashara gave him a reassuring squeeze, knowing that he was concerned for their friends. "Perhaps I can take this opportunity to go get cleaned up a bit. If I might have your leave of course," she added with a wink.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:11 pm

"Hmmmm..... If you feel you must!" He teased back. He quickly examined himself. Between the mud, the blood and tears from the sharp stones, his clothes were little better than rags. Everytime he wiped the dirt from his eyes, he heard someone call out and the half-elf was right back in the thick of things. As good as a bath sounded, and it sounded great, it wouldn't do him any good today. "I don't see cleanliness in my near future I'm afraid." A sudden realization caused him to chuckle. "Why is that Calimport is always so hard on my clothes? I'm beginning to see the appeal your metal set."

Today's work seemed to be going differently. He had the depressing thought that the chance of finding new survivors was drawing to a close. It seemed that for those struggling trapped, time had run out. There were the survivors and those that didn't. The line was easier to see than it was the day before.

At the temple, they were surrounded by the wounded and injured, but at least they were alive. Perhaps it was the lack of children dying in his arms or perhaps it was simply being around the people who's lives they'd saved, but he didn't seem to fall back into his melancholy. Today he felt like he was making a difference.

There was still work to do however, and people hadn't given up hope. While the line of new survivors had dwindled... there was still the occasional miracle. It was that hope which surprised him the most. The Calimport he'd known hadn't had actual hope before the disaster. But they had it now. He felt a little guilty knowing they would be leaving soon, but watching the priests and volunteers work today, the guilt quickly passed. He had confidence that the people of Calimport would manage with or without them.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Thornton

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Thornton trotted across the rubble with his chainmail glinting in the sun and his crossbow rattling at his side. The master had given him specific instructions to offer help to any organized effort that was saving people from the rubble by offering them straw men who would do manual labor, and to collect them when they were complete. It was up to Thornton's own judgement who deserved how much help. He had just dropped off a dozen straw men at the temple to Gond, and seven with a cleric of Tymora who was glad for the extra help, since halflings are not naturally gifted in moving stones.

Thornton wanted to pay special attention to any efforts in which The Champions were involved with, even though they seemed a little skittish around him. He felt drawn to Ashara, she, being like the sun, gave joy, light, and direction. Without her the Champions would have no name, no direction, much less a reason to be. The fact that she spoke for the dawn made so much sense. She is where it begins and where it ends for the company.

Elric was the wind. He played, he danced. When he was angry, he could knock you down, but he was always ready with a tease or a smile, but left weightier matters to others. He was quick to act, and his mood could change in an instant. He was loud at times, and soothing at others. He even had a little box that would manipulate the wind to ease the heart or bring joy. He was a wonder to Thornton, having eluded him so far. Who can indeed grasp the wind?

Kaber was a mountain. Always there, often silent, whenever he moved, the earth itself shook.

Gwilly embodied water. She came in different forms, sometimes playful, at times deadly, unpredictable, and able to do things that no one would expect just by looking at her.

Therogeon was like a tree. He provided fruit that no one else was able to provide, and his knowledge surpassed the heights of any other plants.

The master, well, the master didn't really talk about himself much. And while his metaphors spoke so well of the others, Thornton tried desperately to come up with one for him. Perhaps he was like roots. Earthy, strong, working behind the scenes... it really did not fit that well, not like the other ones.

He understood his position though. He was made to be a servant.

Life was not so bad, sometimes he would be able to stand and listen as his master would tell him of the wonders of the natural world and his reason for existence. He would spend days relaying orders and directing his non-intelligent kin. He longed to listen to anyone who would speak with him. He longed to listen Elric's box and to look at Ashara and Gwilly's drawings. He loved transplanting and digging in the earth. And he loved to travel. The world truly was a wondrous place.

He looked over to his left and saw a familiar red robe next to a well muscled person in tattered clothes. Ashara and Elric! He hurried across the rubble, with the 32 remaining straw men, and stood by silently until the slight commotion caught her eye. He bowed deeply, and tried to indicate that he and his men were at their disposal. He extended his arms and his men went into their prearranged pantomime where some of them laid down, pretending to be hurt and other's helped them and carried them over to others who pretended to pray over them.

Thornton was proud of his men, they did such a good job, and they never got tired, unlike normal workers. He tried to indicate to the best of his ability that he was ready to listen and receive orders from Ashara, hoping that she would direct him to the best possible place that he might be used.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Therogeon

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Therogeon woke around midday to a wet tongue licking his face. Wearily he opened his eyes and saw Kaber staring down at him curiously.

A brief moment of panic later the half elf remembered the puppy and everything that had happened the day before. Slowly sitting up, he took in his surroundings. He was sitting on yet more remains of fallen buildings, though this area seemed to be well searched. Kaber had set him down to aide others and the puppy had faithfully stayed with him, even with it's broken leg.

Lightly he scratched the puppy's ears as he addressed his friend, "Thank you Kaber. I know not how long you watched over me but this is not the place I passed out in. Thank you." He smiled at the minataur.

"It really happened, didn't it. The dragon, the city...everything." With great weariness the mage stood up, still craddeling the small puppy. He saw the people moving through the rubble, some searching, some salvaging, and still some looting. He saw the struggle on their faces, the streaks of tears on dirt covered cheeks. He saw anguish, he saw fear, and he saw mourning. But the one thing he didn't see was despair. No, in it's place he saw strength and determination. These people had nearly literally been through hell and had their whole world destroyed, but they were not beaten.

The rebuilding would take years, lifetimes even, but it would happen. Maybe that was the great mystery. The more you took away from a people, the stronger they became, the more determined to succeed.

He looked to Kaber, "They are resiliant my friend. They do not need us anymore. This city, though we saved it, and many others, is not ours. We should go home." Again he lightly scratched behind the puppy's ears and whispered, "We should go home."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:00 am

"Why is that Calimport is always so hard on my clothes? I'm beginning to see the appeal of your metal set."

Laughter burst from her lips at Elric's observation. Between the sewers and the fire elemental it seemed like he'd gone shopping for new clothes every week they'd been there!

"The metal set isn't exactly immune to damage either if you recall," she reminded him with a lopsided grin.

Her mithril plate mail had taken its fair share of abuse over the last few weeks. The last time they were in Calimport, one of the demons they had fought put a wicked dent in the breastplate beneath the left shoulder. Then of course there were the holes from the twin shadow daggers...

Instinctively, Ashara reached behind her to feel the scars that had formed from the wounds. Magical healing prevented scarring. At least it always had in her experience. Something about the Shadow Weave perhaps, or maybe it was because the wounds were so deep and it had taken so long for the regeneration to heal them up fully. Whatever it was, she was fairly sure she'd carry those scars all of her life. A small price to pay. The years that were stolen from her in order to destroy the Rod... That was not a small price.

The priestess forced the corners of her mouth back up into a smile as she looked at Elric's tattered shirt. "Actually," she purred, pulling at a sizable piece of fabric that had once covered his chest but now hung open, "this was one of the things I enjoyed most about Calimport!"

Startled at her own boldness, Ashara's face flushed scarlet and she turned around to hide her embarassment, only to see Thornton standing there as if waiting for something.

She gasped in surprise at the faceless, thorny man-like thing that stood before her. Eddick must be nearby, she thought, but looking around she saw no evidence of him. Ashara had seen Eddick direct him in the battle against Xvim, but there were very few times when Thornton had traveled with the group. She simply didn't know what to make of it... Him? Was it alive like a person or just animated like the grassmen? It couldn't speak, but here he was, on his own, ordering a small army of grassmen to indicate to her what he wanted them to help with. What he wanted? Could he want? The priestess resolved to ask Eddick these questions the next time she got a chance. If he was alive could he be in pain? Could he be magically healed? Does he have emotions? It was so hard to tell with no face...

Ashara blinked at the golem a few more times until she finally understood that he wanted HER to give him orders! "Do you want to help recover victims from the rubble?" She knew the answer, but mostly just wanted to see if Thornton would respond to her.

He nodded his thorny head in affirmation.

Just then, a commotion erupted across the street from the ruin of what once was the Four Bezels Guildhall. From the sound of it, the workers were hearing voices within! Seemed a good scrubbing wasn't in the bones just yet... "Let's see if we can help," she said, addressing Elric after meeting his eyes with only the slightest residual blush from her earlier statment, "the bath can wait!"

"Come with us, Thornton!" The priestess smiled, and found herself for the second time, silently thanking Eddick for providing his help even while absent.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport - Page 2 Empty Re: 11th of Alturiak - CoRD Epilogue 1 - Calimport

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2