The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

5 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 Empty Therogeon

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat May 29, 2010 10:56 pm

The flames burst around the wizard. With great effort Therogeon stiffled the scream that threatened to escape from his pained lips. Quickly he strode through the flames and started his casting. The priest was dangerously close to escaping, and though it was true he and Elric were the ones taking the damage, he knew that the priest was going to fall.

The whole mess here was his fault. He let his arrogance get the better of him again. He assumed that they would get here well before the priest had a chance to prepare. He failed one of the first rules he taught students: Never assume that your enemy is unprepared for you. The priest obviously had prepared, and prepared well. He was getting ahead of them at every turn. Only now Therogeon was ready.

As his wall came into existance, a wall of pure force energy, it blocked the passage way leading toward the anti-magic room. The wall was nearly invisible and as Therogeon prepared another spell he mentally chuckled at the thought of the priest turning to run and bouncing against the wall.

It would almost be as amusing as watching him bounce off the stone wall when Elric kicked him in the chest...sort of like what just happened. Elric had defeated the fire elemental and now only the priest remained. Chuckeling again, Therogeon changed the spell he was going to cast.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 Empty Raridan

Post  Penelope Sun May 30, 2010 1:04 am

A croaking laughter bubbled up from his throat as he watched Therogeon momentarily swallowed up by the flames. The victorious feeling was a fleeting one. Suddenly Raridan felt the air driven from his lungs and then he was airborne for a split second before crashing hard into the stone wall behind him. The priest slid to the floor with a groan.

He heard Therogeon casting. He heard the battle with the fire elemental, and from the diminishing heat in the hallway he knew that the fire was about to die out. Rage and panic lit in his dark eyes...

If he could get back to his associate he would be safe, and he could probably slip out the exit without anyone being the wiser... Scrambling as quickly as a man of his size with a bolt between his toes possibly could, he got to his feet and started rushing down the hallway to the east.

He didn't get far.

Raridan, rather unceremoniously ran face-first into the invisible Wall of Force and fell backwards onto his rump. Infuriated by the chuckling elf, and realizing the only way out was through them, he began his own casting...
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Sun May 30, 2010 1:57 am

Elric could see the change in the elemental before him. Physically it didn't seem to change much, but it's movement were slower and the light it shed was so very dim. The warrior swung his blade with the expectation that this would end the beast. But the creature of flame wasn't finished yet.

As his sword arm came swinging down hard, a flaming claw grasped blindly. Searing pain and the smell of burnt flesh filled the air as this time the spirit inside the flame held fast to his sword arm and lifted the warrior from the ground. Strong as the half-dragon was, the elemental was stronger, and the flame-like fingers danced across his bare skin. Tears in his eyes, Elric released a primal scream of pain and fury and released his sword.

The polished blade reflected the dancing lights as it started to fall for the ground. Suddenly it was snatched from the air by Elric's other free and waiting hand. The blade flashed like lightning and cut through the flame and the spirit inhabiting it from the left hip through the right shoulder. The flames lost any semblance of form and quicly started to fade to dim embers. By the time Elric landed nimbly to his feet the only light in this was a barely smoldering wall sconce, the holy light of Lathander's symbol and the fire in his eyes.

Hearing a mumbled prayer he spun fast toward the fallen priest, but the fool only had eyes for Therogeon down the hall. He watched as the priest grasped the holy symbol of the god he despised most, and pointed at his friend.

Once again the blade flashed and the dark amulet went spinning down the hall. A look of shock passed the priests face as the spell died on his lips. A powerful kick to the ribs sent the rising priest back against the wall, only to find a furious Elric waiting to slam the gasping priest to it.

"I'm in a hurry, so I REALLY suggest you don't play any more games..." he growled through gritted teeth. "I want to know who you are... and what Aretis' plan is... and I want to know NOW."

Last edited by Elric on Mon May 31, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun May 30, 2010 3:44 am

The smell of burned flesh hung around the furious half elf and caused a slight smirk to appear at the corner of Raridan's mouth in spite of the circumstances.

Elric wrote:"I'm in a hurry, so I REALLY suggest you don't play any more games..." he growled through gritted teeth. "I want to know who you are... and what Aretis' plan is... and I want to know NOW."

"Aretis' plan??" The priest blinked twice in rapid succession with an incredulous look on his face. Then he burst into obnoxious laughter.

He had no idea how they would know about Aretis already, as he should only have just been getting into town this morning, but the fact that Elric asked what his plan "is" told him that the former ranger hadn't yet been stopped...

"I'm afraid your friend no longer makes...plans," he giggled nervously. "He only obeys, though I'm sure he one day hopes to be granted death, unlikely as that is!

A hunger crept into the man's eyes then. A hunger and a madness... "Tell me," he said in little more than a whisper, "has he taken anyone yet? Such a beautiful sword... The old one perhaps? Or the elf's mageling wench?" Raridan motioned to Therogeon with a hate splayed on his features. "Nakgha was looking forward to dealing with her...

"Or maybe your murderous wife?" A toothy grin split his face as he stared daggers at the half elf pinning him to the wall. "It would be a shame really to have her meet that particular fate, since she's done such impressive work in the name of the Dark Sun!"

He sighed mockingly before adding, "and I had so hoped to show her my appreciation personally..."

Cackling once more, he spat squarely in Elric's face, hoping that all the taunting would somehow provide him an opportunity to grab the dagger tucked into his belt.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sun May 30, 2010 1:56 pm

A look of confusion came over the warrior as quickly replaced by abject fury. His arms were literally trembling as he held the priest. It took every ounce of control he had not to kill this man where he stood. There were so many ways to kill a man... Options kept dancing in his mind as priest taunted him. Regardless of what confidence the priest had... Elric knew the truth. The man was at his mercy. It would be Soooo EASY. But that wasn't who he was, and it wasn't who he wanted to be.

With one hand he slowly wiped the spit from his face, and with the other he punched the smirking priest squarely in the throat. The fact that hands that could break stone and shatter wood, didn't crush the windpipe completely and only left the priest gasping for air... filled the warrior with a sort of pride.

Quietly he tried to process what he'd just learned. Aretis was not the planner here. He didn't make plans anymore... Suddenly Ashara's comment about undead made more sense. A whirlwind of emotions spun inside the half-dragon. Anger and hatred for the ranger turned to pity. They were friends once... Could have been again if the stars aligned just right... And nobody deserved the fate that he apparently received. On the other hand... if Ashara was being hunted by Aretis... Elric preferred it to be the undead one. She could handle undead.... Though the silence between him was concerning him. Concern turned back into anger at the gasping priest below him.

As he watched the smoldering wizard approach him he quickly filled in the gaps. "Ashara's been attacked by an Undead Aretis... She said she could handle it... but... I haven't heard anything since... I thought the ranger may have been 'A' but apparently not... So this..." He kicked the priest in side. "Must be."

With a trembling voice he addressed the priest again. "Alright 'A' Answer me." He said in a cold voice. "Who the hell are you? What did your note mean... Who were you after... What 'gift' were you talking about?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun May 30, 2010 11:07 pm

The priest of Cyric choked and sputtered from the sudden blow to his throat. While he was expecting some sort of physical response to the taunts, he hadn't even registered that Elric's hand had moved until it was pressed against his windpipe! It had been quite a gamble to provoke them like that but Raridan knew the heroes distaste for killing and that now afforded him a moment he hoped to use to his advantage. Hunching over as he gulped for air, his left hand went to his throat while his right hand slowly drifted toward the hilt of his dagger as Elric was speaking with Therogeon.

Elric wrote:"Alright 'A' Answer me. Who the hell are you? What did your note mean... Who were you after... What 'gift' were you talking about?"

"Not my note...," the priest managed to choke out in a frog-like voice before a thick finger pointed down the hallway to the east. "His..."

He lifted his head slightly and looked into the hate-filled eyes of the two Champions. "My associate is...quite eager to meet you. It is he that wanted you here, not I, and I suggest you take the matter up with him!"

Raridan had few options left to him here, and although his captors may not enjoy killing, he couldn't believe that they would just let him go either! If he could buy himself a little time, he may be able to get out of this yet... All he needed was one more NON lethal blow, and he might be able to convincingly Feign Death and live to tell the tale!

Elric turned for a split second to look down the hallway in the direction the priest had pointed. That's when he made his move. Acting out of complete desperation, Raridan pulled the dagger from his belt and drove it at his captor's midsection as the fingers of his opposite hand reached out to gouge deeply into the charred flesh of the warrior's chest.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon May 31, 2010 3:54 am

Aretis... The priest... and now someone else down the hall. Unless this guy was lying... which when dealing with Cyricists is always a possibility. Elric believed him though. This was the second time he'd heard this man proclaim that he'd rather they died in Impresk... The phrase 'He's eager to meet you' sounded legitimate to him too... Whoever wrote the note seemed to be playing a game and was eager to continue it. This man seemed disapointed that it was still goin on. In Elric's opinion there were getting to be too many players in this game.

Once again getting lost in thought nearly cost him. The flash of the hidden blade barely broke him from his Reverie. Elric spun to the side and caught the wrist wielding the deadly weapon and twisted it violently. Three moves blurred so fast it seemed one continuous action. Wrist caught. Arm twisted painfully behind his back, and with a sickening crunch,the priest's face smashed wetly into the stone wall. All before the dagger clattered to the ground.

Elric heard a muffled sound and the priest fell limply to the ground. His face wet with blood streaming from a broken nose and a vacant glazed look that unfortunately the warrior had seen too often. Quickly he knelt beside him and checked for a pulse, but knew what he'd find before he'd made the effort.

"He's dead..." he quietly informed the mage. Frustration caused Therogeon the rare performance of hearing Elric swear in every language he knew... and a few he was trying to pick up. "This is my fault..." He admitted with disgust in his voice. "I warned you to leave him alive for questioning... and look what I do!"

Last edited by Elric on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 pm

The wizard completed his maladweomer spell just before the priest finished his silence spell. Therogeon recognized it this time and realized that it was placed on an area around him, not cast directly at him. To counter it, he simply walked out of it.

Once he could hear again he started to prepare another spell, but by that time Elric had the priest by the throat. Quickly he sent his thoughts to Almara, "My love, Ashara has been attacked by an undead warrior."

She replied, "I knew I shouldn't have let her leave. The kids are safe here in the tower." He smiled grimly, "It's not your fault, my sister is quite....persistant when she wants to be. Keep the kids safe and send a couple of the more advanced students to see if she needs help. Make sure they know that discrection is paramount. They are to help and protect Ashara under her direction and as needed." "I understand. Be carefull my love."

Therogeon looked down the hallway when the priest pointed. He didn't see anything, though that really didn't suprise him. Once they had dealt with the priest, they could search the rest of the place. It was then that the priest made his very foolish attack against Elric and went bouncing face first off the wall and the half dragon apologized for accidently killing the fellow.

He smiled at his brother, "Do not worry. If he was telling the truth we have another problem to worry about and wouldn't have been able to watch a prisoner as well as dealing with whomever was behind this."

He laid a hand on his friends shoulder, "Your kids are still safe inside the tower. Almara is sending help to Ashara. She will be safe. I know you are worried, hell I am too. But we need to be focused here.

"That being said, I do apologize. The problems we have had thus far I firmly believe we wouldn't have had if I had been less arrogant. I walked in expecting to easily defeat anything they had ready for us. I forgot the first rule of engaging an enemy. Always expect them to be prepared for you."

He turned to the body and knelt down beside it, "The wall will hold for a while longer, so we do not have to worry about an attack from that way. Let me dispel the body here and then we can search it for information or items that might come in handy." He frowned, "It is probably safe to search him, after my last dispel, but again, I learned my lesson."

He stood up and lowered his staff above the corpse and activated the dispel function.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 pm

Raridan gasped loudly as his lungs awoke and demanded oxygen, and then promptly expelled the air with a scream. The pain from Elric's beating caught up with him, and then poison from Thornton's bolts finally made its way to his heart.

The large priest lay there in agony, merely breathing...helpless before the two companions as his body slowly regained normal functioning.

No, this was not at all going to plan!

Dark eyes, filled with malice and murder, rolled in his head as he tried to focus on those that most certainly were about to truly end his life this time.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:46 am

Elric leaped back in shock as the priest suddenly came back to life. Speechless he looked toward the mage wondering what he just did... Granted he'd seen the dead come back enough... but never from the wizard. However the Master mage of Impresk looked nearly as surprised as he did. The only one who wasn't surprised was the priest.

"What did you... I... ummm... Alright then!" Elric shook his head and decided to just go with it. He drew his sword and firmly pressed the point into the soft flesh over the sternum. "Welcome back!" he greeted icily.

"I'm glad your back... " he said sincerely. "You've got some information I still want to pick from your brain. If you don't make me... I won't kill you. Regardless of what you think... I've seen what Cyric does to his priests' souls... You really DON'T want to die. But believe me... I am NOT in the mood to play anymore!" Even as he made the promise he wasn't sure what they would do with the prisoner... Someone, somewhere should be able to give him a trial... and then execute him accordingly. But watching him lie there, Elric didn't believe he could just end him. Probably be a moot point anyway... these guys always went down swinging.

"Start with Aretis... What did you do to him?"

The silence from Ashara was deafening. Despite Therogeon's assurances, his apprentices still needed time to get there. Undead were Ashara's specialties... One thought from her and they'd flee or turn to dust. She shouldn't have been this silent... Not for this long... If he could find out anything that would help her... or at the least find out what happened to their one-time friend. His story shouldn't be forgotten.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:06 am

"Aretis?" The priest smiled and giggled a bit, which was disturbing in its own right. "I made him a pet...after we were done with him of course."

Carefully, so as not to alarm the man with the sword to his chest, he motioned with a finger, down the hall to where he had said his associate was waiting.

"He was just going to kill the ranger but I convinced him not to, though he was quite a mess when he was brought back to me... It would have been such a waste of a life, don't you think!?"

Raridan nodded, evidently pleased with himself, then his eyes lit with dark glee as he opened his mouth again to speak of the weapon that surely even his captors would appreciate!

"My minion has impressive skill with a sword to be sure, but the real power lies in that sword itself! I won't tell you who I had to kill to get my hands on that," he grinned. Now completely caught up in his own story he dropped his voice to a whisper as he described the blade with what was something near to reverence. "Those who fashion such things call it a Shadowblade. They actually trap a Shadow inside of the sword so that every time the blade merely nicks flesh, it saps the strength right out of the victim! Really an amazing weapon!

"Gets even better though," he added, with another sickening grin, "It only takes a handful of good hits for a person to be turned into a Shadow himself!"

Raridan sighed happily and then grinned wider as he noted the concern on Elric's face.

"Tell me, half breed...," he asked sweetly, "Do you think that your duplicitous whore and unborn mongrel have been turned into one Shadow, or two?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:20 am

Elric found it hard to breath. Every instinct told him to drive the sword home and be done with this monster. Knuckles white and an arm trembling with rage caused a thin streak of blood to appear on the priests throat and chest. He closed his eyes for a moment and tried to force the dark taunts from his mind.

Focus... What did he just say... Aretis was still using a sword? And not the defender? He didn't remember any undead using swords before... must be corporeal... Not a lower undead like a skeleton or zombie, that would be dust by now... Doubtful a vampire or lich... With difficulty he found his voice and pressed the issue.

"Wha... What did... hmm... What did you do to him? And what does it take to stop him? Choose carefully, Your life or it's! " Simple pressure on the sword and a look at his cold eyes showed he was eagerly awaiting an answer.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:54 am

Raridan found it hard to breathe. Every rise of his chest would cause the tip of that glowing red blade to be driven deeper into his pasty flesh!

"What did I do to him?!" He gaped at the warrior incredulously. "I GAVE HIM LIFE! I turned him into a much more useful incarnation, but surely you couldn't BEGIN to comprehend that... All the work and expense that went into his creation, and you think I'm going to just TELL you how he might be stopped?!"

The priest was getting pretty worked up until he felt that razor edge press ever so slightly deeper into his chest.

"It doesn't matter anyway," he muttered after a stream of curses launched themselves out of his mouth like a gout of venom. "You can't stop him. She can't stop him...."

Another wicked smile crossed the Cyricist's face as the next words he spoke were laden with unholy power. One more attempt to create some distance between himself and these troublesome Champions...

"Go speak with my associate," he Dictated to the men, pointing yet again down the hall. "He'll tell you how to destroy Aretis."

Last edited by Ashara on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:47 am

After the brief battle, the weight of her chain mail pulled Ashara over onto her side and she watched whisps of the ash that had once been Aretis float off on the chilly breeze.

There was a time when she wished he would have found her. A time when she prayed that the ranger would come and bring her to justice in whatever manner he saw fit. She spent many months following the lifting of the Curse in a prison of her own creation, punishing herself for the crimes committed by her own hands...fighting for forgiveness that had already been granted. Trying to earn her salvation. It had taken her far too long to realize that she couldn't earn it, she could only accept it.

On a few occasions, Ashara had brought up the idea of going to find Aretis and see to it that he knew everything that had transpired, but always came Elric's unwavering response of, 'No.' On that issue he would not budge, and refused to even entertain the thought. She understood, or thought she did anyway, thinking that his animosity toward the ranger stemmed from a belief that he would have killed her had he ever tracked her down. Although she disagreed that the ranger had actually been out for blood, she'd never pressed the issue far.

How did Aretis come to this state?! Why was he here now? By the regret she saw in his eyes as he swung the deadly blade at her, and the gratefulness in his voice as she destroyed him, Ashara was certain he was being Commanded by a priest. Probably the very one that her brother, her husband and Thornton hunted now!

Somehow a priest of Cyric had finally managed to force her to kill a friend... After all these years of getting past the nightmares of DESIRING to kill Aretis, now in her right mind, she'd finally done it. What new nightmares awaited her after the events of these past few hours?!

Though she knew that she had in fact freed him from a horrible fate, the emotional consequences of all of today's events would need to be dealt with later. No time now...

Ashara pushed all the fear and sorrow from her mind and instead focused her thoughts on the precious mind growing within. She had to ensure that their child was safe and after feeling the effects of that sword there was certainly some concern... The priestess whispered a spell to connect her mind to that of her unborn child, as she'd done on numerous occasions. Relief washed over her as she felt the vitality there and a spark of recognition at the familiar sensation of its mother's mental presence.

It took much more effort than it should have to lift her chain-laden arm to the leather cord that now held her holy symbol, but she managed and was able to cast a spell to allow her to ignore the effects of the strength drain. By the time it wore off, she would be back to her normal abilities. A second spell, this time one of healing, mended her physical wounds as she pulled the arrows from her body, biting her lip to keep from screaming as the wicked looking heads did nearly as much damage coming out as they did going in.

She stood then and surveyed her surroundings. Aretis' clothing, armor and weapons had fallen among the ash after his curse was Removed. The evil blade rested on the hard ground no more than a foot from her, and still wrapped around the hilt was a most peculiar glove that looked as if it might have been made from human flesh. He'd only been wearing the one glove, and Ashara was quite sure there was a reason he'd been using it on that particular hand. She certainly had no intention of touching that sword with her bare hands, but she could hardly just leave it there among the dead leaves for someone else to come along and find!

Removing her scarlet cloak, Ashara threw it over the black blade and the human-skin glove, wrapping them carefully and tightly so the package wouldn't come undone, then she slid it between the straps of her pack that she carried. They would need to be destroyed tomorrow. That sword could not be allowed to exist if there was something she could do about it.

She scooped as much of Aretis' ashes as she could into a large leather pouch at her waist. He deserved a proper burial, not to be blown to the four winds. Maybe near his old encampment in the mountains north of town... The burial would have to wait too. Ashara felt a growing need to ensure that the men were safe...

The priestess turned and took a few steps toward the pine tree when out of the corner of her eye she saw what looked like fabric caught in the brush. She moved over cautiously, Dawnspeaker ready at her side. What she found when she arrived at the area, were two piles of clothing and two jackets that were very familiar...

Ashara's blood ran cold when she saw the bloody gashes in the clothing, and recognized them as belonging to Elric's two youngest students Perrimar and Talgan... She wanted to be sick at the thought! The students had been turned into the Shadows that SHE had destroyed! The two well-mannered boys were little more than children! Neither of them had seen more than fifteen springs and now they'd become two more casualties left in the destructive wake of CoRD's enemies!

A great rage welled up inside her then but she managed to choke it back for the time being. She had to maintain focus. Elric warned of the dangers yet in the tower so she would need to keep her wits about her, but she did not envy that priest when they caught up with him...

Pulling her thick auburn hair back from her shoulders, she tied it with a cord at the base of her neck to keep it from blowing in her face as she traveled. Next time she'd remember the braids...

"It's done, Melamin..." She Whispered solemly to her husband, hoping to keep the strained tone from her voice. "I believe that priest was Controlling Aretis. The baby and I are safe and I'm on my way to you now. Carefully..."

She just couldn't bring herself to tell him about the two boys yet... To be honest, she didn't want to even speak the words aloud.

Swallowing her tears, Ashara cast her spell and stepped through the pine tree, Transporting herself to the tiny, windy valley below the tower ruins.

Last edited by Ashara on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:56 pm

A wave of magic flowed of the warrior like water, and just as easily flowed past. The priest was obviously running out of tricks and his powers were weakening. Elric looked down the hall where he directed and nodded. "Yes... I'll be dealing with him soon enough."

Elric was torn. He really didn't know what to do with this man. He wanted to kill him. More than he had ever wanted to kill anyone... save the assassin that caused those scars on Ashara's back. The joy and pleasure that he didn't even bother to hide at the mention of turning Ashara and the baby into shadows... The pride in turning Aretis into an abomination... He'd earned death a hundred times over. But they may still need him. There were still too many questions about this whole adventure that needed answering.

And if anything happened to his wife or child... It would Drastically alter the manner in which he killed this man.

Looking to Therogeon, he asked "What do we do now? Tie him up... bring him with us? Hit him till he stops moving?" the tone of his voice told the mage and priest which one he'd prefer. "We could probably tell Thornton to shoot him if he moves.... or maybe we should just kill him outri..."

Suddenly Elric stopped and a genuine smile grew as relief flooded through him. Looking down at the pathetic priest at his feet he couldn't help a little taunting of his own.

"You failed... utter and complete failure! Ashara is fine, the baby is fine, and Aretis is at peace now! I'm sure your god is looking forward to meeting you face to face... Remember, I've SEEN what he does to those who disappoint him!

"Still... Make your choices... and deal with the consequences." Never before had Eldorath's words held such a dark edge
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:27 pm

The wizard felt the priests attempt to enspell their actions fail against his resistance. Being an elf certainly had advantages.

Therogeon looked to Elric but his friend seemed under no influence either. He smiled grimly at the priest. Then, mirroring Elrics, a smile of relief crossed his face as well. Ashara was whispering to Elric. Again he wished he could stop her from coming.

He quickly sent a thought to Almara, "My love, have one of the students stand guard over the sword that Aretis, the undead fighting Ashara, was using. Do not let anyone touch it until I get there....Also, if it's possible, could you get Ashara back into the tower? Thanks love"

He placed a hand on Elric's shoulder. "We still need some information from him my brother." So saying he cast a quick ESP spell and placed a hand on his tiger hilted dagger. "Answer me truthfully and you shall be freed. Lie and I will spend centuries tormenting you, " He spoke to the priest, "Don't think I won't. I have the centuries to spend and with my magic I can make sure you do as well." He drew the dagger from it's sheath, "Or perhaps you doubt my ability to do so?" Suddenly the wizard grabbed the priests right hand and brought the dagger across the back of it, severing the tendons and making that hand useless.

"Now", Therogeon continued, "Who and what is your mysterious companion. The one you want us to go and visit so desperately."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 Empty Dhara/Dhala

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:41 pm

The two aspiring mages hurried into the area, each holding a small brown wand with stylized flames across them. See the fight apparently over the two slowed down and approached Ashara, just as she stepped through the pine tree. The two cousins looked at each other and frowned. They had failed to get there in time to stop her but at least she was safe.

They looked around the clearing and noticed the remains of armor among some dust as well as two piles of clothes. However they saw no sword. Ashara must have taken it with her. Dhala quickly sent a messag to Almara informing her that Ashara was already in the valley, the undead were well, dead, and the priestess had the sword. Once that was finished they started to clean up the area. It wouldn't do for some poor citizen to walk up and find armor and dust and what not.

Last edited by DerrackTyme on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Elric quickly hid the surprise on his face. This was a ruthlessness he wasn't used to with Therogeon. Made sense though... Remembering Almara's new found condition. The mage always went out of his way to protect his 'family', but now that he was soon to have child of his own... That protectiveness was more intense. The warrior understood that all too well.

He stepped back to give the mage room to interrogate and fished in his pouch for his last healing potion. Ashara was on her way, and it wouldn't do to have her see him in this condition. Not to mention what was still waiting down the hall. Quickly he chugged down the thick bitter syrup and cringed. Horrid tasting stuff, but it did the job.

At least it used to! The familiar tingling of wounds closing was missing. That... that was disappointing. All the bitter aftertaste, none of the healing! He'd heard that potions could be dispelled, but it hadn't ever happened before... He looked at Therogeon still smoldering from the blasts of fire and wondered if his last one still worked.

Without thinking twice, he reached out and touched the mage on the shoulder and used the last of their guaranteed magical healing. Elric could fight hurt... in fact he could (and HAD) fight VERY hurt. But if Therogeon couldn't move his hands with perfect precision... It had to be done.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:10 pm

The priest began chuckling as the ESP spell the wizard cast rolled harmlessly off of his mind. Taunting words again began forming on his lips, but were lost in a shrieking scream instead when that dagger sliced through the back of his hand.

DerrackTyme wrote:"Who and what is your mysterious companion. The one you want us to go and visit so desperately."

"It matters not at ALL to me if you visit him or not!" He screeched into the elf's face as he cradled his now useless hand. "If you do not answer his summons though, he will be very put out I assure you... As for who and what he is?"

Raridan's mouth curled into a feral snarl and his gaze fell heavily upon the half elf at the wizard's side.

"That one might know him," he said, nodding toward Elric, and the snarl became a small smile as if he was already watching the man's demise. "Through a mutual acquaintence I think, though he never went into detail about it with me. It all began having to do with an elf you all killed...the one whose sword Aretis once carried... It became something more though, and he's gone to great lengths to see that he gets this fight with you. I will not mourn your passing, Lord Everdawn!"

He laughed once in spite of the pain in his hand and smiled up at them again.

"Alagian is waiting."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:41 am

He knew the priest had resisted the ESP spell, he wasn't getting any images. However the dagger in his hand revealed that the fellow was indeed telling the truth. He turned to Elric and started to ask if that name meant anything to him when he suddenly got a frantic message from Almara.

"Do me a favor my brother. Keep our guest entertained. I am going to go meet your wife and make sure she stays safe down here." He clapped the warrior on his shoulder and with a speed that the half-dragon had rarely seen in the elf, hurried out towards the way they had come in. Hopefully he could meet her before she entered the lower levels of the tower.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:21 am

The dark priest watched in surprise as the elf ran off back the way they came.

"So," he said, turning to the warrior with a raised eyebrow and a slight smirk, "while we wait for my wayward sister in the faith, tell me...

"Do you juggle?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53 am

"Alagian is waiting."

The words rolled through his mind over and over again. A small tickle in the back of his brain told him he should know that name... A nagging familiarity that he just couldn't nail down. The priest confirmed one thing though... The note... the gift... it was all about him. Marstine, Aretis, Kendra.... All casualties of an attack against him.

Therogeon's sudden departure caught the half-dragon by surprise. He had wanted to deal with this Alagian, before his wife got into the danger zone... He had warned her of the dangers, and they hadn't left that much behind them... On a whim he swung his sword at the corridor entrance and felt the immediate resistance of the wall of force. Wonderful...

As the priest continued to taunt him, Elric began to wonder just how long he would allow it live. Dark thoughts, but this man had earned his fate a hundred times over. His attitude in the face of utter defeat confused the warrior though... Perhaps that kind of confidence was an inherant trait amongst the mad gods followers.

"Question for you..." he looked at the broken priest in front of him. "What makes you so certain Alagian has a chance? NOTHING you people have thrown at us works... We ALWAYS beat you! Is this something that you priests thought up... or did your god himself send you after me??? Honestly after what? Eight Priests... Nine? It's beginning to look like Cyric is sending you to us to die... Did you do something recently to annoy him?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Raridan's face grew bright red as the half elf's taunts changed targets from himself to his dark deity and the priests that served him.

"YOU shall not SPEAK his name!! As if you have some sort of familiarity with the Dark Sun!?" Spittle flew out of the man's mouth as he screamed in Elric's face, and white foam started forming a bit at the corners. "You and your WRETCHED "FAMILY" couldn't BEGIN to understand what plans are in store for you," he boasted, puffing out his already substantial chest.

Just as quickly as it came, the rage was gone. Replaced by an unnerving smile and a hushed tone.

"He speaks to me in dreams... I have heard the voice of him whom I serve and I know that your end is hastening ever closer. Do you hear it, half breed? Do you feel the chill of your doom, or does that blinding dawn also blind you to the truth of your fate?"

Raridan glanced down to the rose-hued disc that hung at Elric's neck and chuckled.

"Alagian is not one of us," he said, hate-filled eyes returning to meet his captor's. "He was a friend of Tenithalosa, who was an ally of mine. He was quite displeased to hear of the bladesinger's death, but more so to hear that his sword had fallen into human hands. Now that that issue has been...resolved," he grinned, "he's apparently turned his focus on you alone.

"I don't know why. He doesn't make it a point to tell me all of his plans. It was only after spending some time with Aretis that he started looking into your history.

"He cares nothing for the rest of your allies. He only wants you. I don't know what insult you've caused him, but it goes far beyond your involvement with Tenithalosa's death, I can assure you that."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:18 pm

The wizard hurried back through the rooms, following their footprints in the dust. He passed the golems, now back in their respective places. They would probably attack again when someone came in through the doors, only with one twisted and broken leg it would be difficult for them.

He hurried into the trapped passageway and closely followed the marks Elric had placed there on the way in. He ran up the stairs taking them two at a time and almost fell himself. Finally he reached above the barrier preventing scrying and teleporting. He slowed his pace and called out for Ashara.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Well... that answered that. First of all.. this man was insane. Secondly, it seemed that once again he had earned the enmity of an elf. After all what other 'friend of the bladesinger' would be so upset over a human carrying his sword. It had been five years since they had helped break the siege in Evereska. A memorable honeymoon to say the least... Five years since they found out that Airoth Ealoath had died and the bounty on him had died with him. Three years since he'd stopped looking over his shoulder.

It must be connected somehow. Though it wasn't Tenithalosa who was the assassin that day. That was the archer Andoriathal. He still remembered the chill when the elf revealed what his plan had been but chose not to finish the deed. Now the contract was back... Though what this Alagian had to do with it he didn't know. It certainly seemed personal. Once again he wished Therogeon either hadn't gone, or at least dropped the wall first. This waiting was getting frustrating.

Despite the priests current situation, Elric still found it unnerving to be alone with him. Something about that wide eyed stare of uncompromising hatred... and the mood swings was... unsettling. He didn't think he'd get anymore out of this guy, but he kept talking just to reassert dominance in the conversation.

"Did your dreams tell you the price of failure?" Elric asked in a patronizing voice. "I hope it did... because whatever else happens down that hall... YOU failed. Whatever dark designs Cyric has for my family will have to happen in spite of you, not because of... Though lets be honest... You're not the first failure he's sent to us... I doubt you'll be the last. Feel free to tell him if he has anymore priests he wants dead... send them our way."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 9 Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next