The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

5 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 am

Alturiak 29, 1377

It was still dark when Elric awoke alone. It wasn't unusal when Ashara planned to host the Dawnmeet at the temple herself. He vaguely remembered her insisting that she be there herself today. Maintain appearances and all that.

With groan he went toward the window and looked out into the predawn sky. Last night felt like a nightmare and for a moment he wasn't sure what was real and what wasn't. Friends becoming enemies, attacks in the night, even the sudden appearance of Eddick seemed the stuff of dreams. But it wasn't. There in the corner were the two punch daggers that he'd had Shamus bring.

Ashara's spell did it job well. Despite his exhaustion, he couldn't have slept more than an hour or two last night, but he was rested and ready for whatever the day would bring. It didn't bode well though. As he looked out the window he got a chill. The stars were hidden and the moon a dull glow as they were hidden by a heavy cloud cover. He could smell the moisture in the air. It was going to rain today.

'Wonderful...' was all he could think. That's all they needed was a day as dark and gloomy as their thoughts. With that, he quickly got dressed and went into the hall to find his family.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Therogeon

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Dawn was approaching. As was his usual, the elven master of the tower had not slept. Unlike in times recent past, this night was not spent in study but rather preparing for war. He had orders to give and decisions to make.

Tarpin was resting in state until such a time as Ashara or another of her order could Raise him. A simple spell, normally used to preserve components for spell casting, kept the body from decay. Dhala would scarce leave his side and indeed stayed with him until her cousin Dhara came and retrieved her. Together they headed off for rest and recuperation.

Almara still had not told him why she looked guilty last night. He unfortunitely did not have the time to press her on it. When she was ready, she would open up to him. She was strong of heart and kind, two of the many qualities that had drawn him to her. She would need both in the days to come. It was not often that Therogeon was out of touch with the school and the Order. In those rare times he was, Almara was often called upon to lead until Therogeon returned. She was not the most skillfull wizard left in the order but she was the one who knew his mind and how he would want things done. Also, she could reach Therogeon in emergancies and had access to Talembor, Therogeon's predecessor. His wisdom would help her if she needed it, as it had helped Therogeon many times before.

Therogeon's access to spells increased nearly tenfold when he became the head of the school. Quite a few of the spells that were now his were even beyond his ability. He was mage enough to admidt that. Only Talembor, of the wizards he was closest with, could understand and cast many of those spells. Still, choosing which to memorize and which to take with him when he left for Carradoon was difficult. For all his ability, he still had no way of knowing what he was walking into or where it would lead. The wizard choose his spells carefully and prayed to Mystra that he selected wisely.

Finally, an hour before dawn, he proclaimed himself ready. He had renewed the Contingency spell and recast the channel allowing him access to the elven artifact. In his belt he carried a wand of fire, a wand of frost, and a wand of lightening. Numerous scroll cases hung lightly from his belt, each case holding three scrolls of various spells he might find usefull. In his hand he held Tru'Maris, the staff of the Meta-Mage. Therogeon, Maris, and Talembor had finished this staff some years ago, and indeed it was named after Therogeon's late student. The staff was the symbol of leadership of The Order of the Mystic Veil. This was what the school was becoming under Therogeon. No longer simply reactive, it's agents were about in the world. Watching and taking action against wizards and other spell casters who used their power to control or otherwise dominate the lands around them.

The wizard looked over to Almara, standing near their bed still dressed as last night, still holding the Staff of Thunder and Lightening. Therogeon smiled at her, ready to take his leave and head to the temple of Lathander.

"My love..." she hesistated. "I need to tell you something."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Almara

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:33 pm

All the rest of the night she watched the only person in the world she could ever love get ready for battle. She understood her part, someone needed to stay behind and watch over the school. Only this time, it was different. Therogeon would be walking into danger and may not be coming back. No, that was foolish. He was the most powerfull mage she had ever seen, and even if he didn't admidt it to himself, Almara knew he was smarter than Talembor.

Softly she rested a hand on her stomach. Soon, as Ashara had told her, she would begin to show. There could be no doubt in anyone's mind who the father was. Yet she was still scared to tell him. Thankfully her love kept many books on herb lore, including what to take for nausea caused by morning sickness. Ha, that was a good lie, 'morning' sickness. The nausea only hit her in the afternoons and evenings, never in the morning.

Finally Therogeon looked ready to leave. She had to tell him....she couldn't just let him leave without knowing...but Mystra this was hard.

Hesistantly she spoke the words she had been both looking forward to and dreading for a while now.

"My love.....I need to tell you something."

Therogeon turned back around and his smile was the dawn breaking over the eastern horizen. Her heart fluttered and she slowly took a step toward him, taking his hands in hers. Slight confusion stole across his elven features as she started to speak, "I....oh Mystra....Therogeon my love.....I'm pregnant."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm

If Therogeon had thought there was nothing that could render him senseless, he obviously wasn't prepared for the words that Almara had spoken just now.

"I'm pregnant"

Suddenly a thousand future possibilities flashed before his eyes. He was going to be a father. A honest to Mystra father. It was then he realized he was kissing Almara. He broke the kiss and stared deeply into her eyes. An entire conversation was spoken then without words, in that way that only those who truely love each other can have, a look, a quirk of the eyebrows, a slight nod, all served to convey that she told him because he needed to know, she understood he still had to go, he understood just how hard it was for her to tell him, especially right now, he also understood her reasons for telling him, and he promised that he would return as quickly as possible. The only information that wasn't imparted from that look was the one he asked now, "How long?"

She smiled up at him, "Three months, near as I can tell. Ashara sensed it when she healed me tonight."

Softly Therogeon placed his palm on her stomach, "Three months", he whispered. His smile beamed forth again, "Come...we are going to the temple...we have time yet before I or anyone for that matter depart...and I suddenly feel like being around lots of people and celebrating."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:34 pm

The predawn hours of the morning always lifted Ashara's spirits. Whether on the road with the Champions when she would take the final watch, or at home while she prepared for the day at the Everdawns' personal shrine. Today was no different in that regard. Yes, there had been a nearly successful attack last night, and though there had been some casualties, ultimately the attack failed. They would find the ones responsible and they would be defeated. There could be no other alternative in her mind.

After Purifying herself and gathering her thoughts for the morning's Dawnmeet she'd woken the children and kissed them all within an inch of their little quarter-dragon lives before getting them dressed and herding them down to the kitchen for breakfast.

The three children and the six Salk-Sirra students were in the middle of scarfing down their pancakes and sausage when their father and Tura came down the stairs. The students looked up as he entered the room. They, Bramin especially, had been very quiet this morning, still somewhat in shock from the last evenings events. Suddenly the man they had come to believe was nigh indestructible, seemed very mortal indeed, and it had shaken them up considerably.

Elric appeared rested and clean, his fresh clothes bearing none of the evidence of the brutal battle only a few hours before, but his dour mood hung over him like the dark clouds in the sky this morning. Yesterday had been a blow. A close call.

Knowing his thoughts, Ashara sighed sympathetically and moved over to him, pressing a mug of warm tea into his hands.

"Today is a new day, Melamin," she smiled brightly, whispering to keep the conversation just between them. "Today we will begin to set things right again!"

Last edited by Ashara on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:17 pm

He took the tea with a grateful smile. "Good morning!" he whispered back and gave her a kiss. He could feel her infectious mood lighten his own a bit. But only a bit.

Looking out over his students he felt a bit sorry for them. They obviously hadn't had the benefit of Ashara's 'nap' spell and were somewhat worse for wear from the night before. He'd already decided that he had too full a day to do much training with them today, but after seeing them now... he didn't feel that guilty about skipping. "Good morning everyone..." he greeted as he took his seat at the table.

Only one or two of them answered with any actual enthusiasm. He couldn't blame them too much. A cloud was hanging over them. He just wasn't sure what the cause was. Was it the lose of Marstine? Lack of sleep? Was it the fact that he'd been hurt so bad? Did that lessen his teachings in their eyes somewhat? If he couldn't protect himself... what were they wasting THEIR time for?

He knew Eldorath had been beaten before, he knew he'd been hurt in his life... but he really had a hard time imagining it. After all the grueling work he put them through... only to find out they could still be beaten? For a moment he was glad it happened. They needed that kind of lesson. He'd preached at them enough that no matter how good they were, there was always someone better... maybe now they'd believe it.

Besides... As far as he was concerned, he WON that fight!

"We found Ms. Starbright's body... But we couldn't find Marst.." Shamus started, but the words died on his lips from an icy glare from his teacher. Only then did the young student realize that three small sets of eyes that were focused on the adults. The sandy haired youth coughed once and went back to eating.

Once it was decided the children were done eating, and were sent into the next room with their toys, Elric looked back over to Shamus "You were saying?"

"Sorry..." he replied sheepishly. "Me, Bramin, and one of the priests went over to Kendra Starbright's home. Nobody answered... but we went in anyway. We found her there... She was stuffed in a closet of all things!" His voice started to get a little loud.

The boy's anger and disgust was a mirror of his teacher's. Kendra was a good woman and she deserved better than that! The thought that she had been treated with such indignity riled the warrior. The fact that it was a minor point in a plot against THEM only added to the fury. Through clenched teeth he was able to ask. "And Marstine?"

Both of the lads were quiet at that question. At first it had surprised him that the two of them both went. They weren't exactly friends... But then as he watched the emotions roiling under their surface he realized that if they thought Marstine was in trouble, they both probably volunteered. They each wanted to be the knight in shining armor. One look at their glistening eyes told how the tale ended.

"We didn't find her, Turo..." Bramin stepped in. "It was dark... but I'm sure she wasn't there. I don't know if she'd been replaced recently... or if..."

Elric nodded in understanding. It had more or less confirmed his earlier suspicions. There was a 'chance' that they had never met the real Marstine...

"What of Eddick? Did he stay here last night or the grove?" he asked Ashara. The end of last night was a blur. The druid knew he was always welcome in the house... but Elric had to admit, he rarely stayed inside BEFORE the house was full of students and children.

Last edited by Elric on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:05 pm

"I haven't seen Eddick since we left him last night," Ashara answered, while staring into her mug of weak tea, "but I'm sure he will meet us after dawn to discuss what our next move should be. Hopefully he'll have some more information to share."

The news that Kendra's body had been found sobered her mood a bit, but at least they had found the body. At least she could see if there was something to be done. Marstine however...

The priestess' eyes shifted between the two young men.

"We will find out what happened with Marstine," she assured them emphatically. "The body of the creature your Tura defeated may provide answers, and if that does not, there are other means of location at our disposal."

Ashara was beginning to realize that her plate was becoming quite full. Tarpin, and now Kendra would receive their chance to be Raised, assuming Ms. Starshine hadn't been gone for too long... She would need to Speak with Dead on the body of Marstine's doppelganger, not to mention Warding the house until it virtually pulsed with divine energy... The Chapel as well! Plans had been made for placing special protections upon the temple that was to be built very shortly, but the small structure that existed now had no such protections. She always had been too trusting...

The experience also made her aware that she needed to very quickly find someone to begin training to replace her in her diplomatic efforts after she was gone. Whatever might happen to her, the church of Lathander and that of Amaunator would need a spokesman of divine authority to bridge the gap between the two faiths and work to unite them as a powerful force of good.

Again, the stress began mounting...

"I should make my way over to the Chapel now," Ashara said after draining the last of the tea. "After last night there will be a good-sized crowd I believe, and there will be many questions to answer."

She called the children over and began helping them into their coats.

"Will you be joining us today, Lord Everdawn," she smiled, "or do you have other business to attend to? I know there is a lot of work to do..."

Last edited by Ashara on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Therogeon and Almara were not the first ones to the church. While it was true they worshiped Mystra, one could not travel and indeed love a follower of Lathander and not be used to be up for morning services. Therogeon, all smiles on the walk over, quickly found his mirth diminshed. Alot of people were here early, and upon seeing the wizard, almost all of them had questions about last night.

"My lord, are we under attack?"
"Master Taldavar what happened?"
"My lord, my lord, is it true that Dawnlord Ashara was killed?"
"No, I heard it was Lord Elric who died."
"Were the kids taken?"

and many others. Almara squeezed Therogeon's hand comfortingly. He smiled gratefully at her before turning back to the crowd. "Yes, as you may have heard something happened last night. There was an attack on one of the people of this city. It will be up to them to decide if they tell you whom it was. I will tell you, it was not successful. We were able to stop this attack and all perpatraters have been dealt with. All of the Everdawn's are safe. I expect Lady Ashara here momentarily to preside over morning rituals. Please, no more questions. You are all safe, and will stay safe."

The speech by Therogeon seemed not to mullify the crowd but they did disperse back to their seats. Therogeon looked over to Almara and again smiled. She cocked an eyebrow in a silent question. Softly, he shook his head negative. Just prior to their arrival at the humble alter, the wizard had cast a True Sight spell. As he had given his assurances to the crowd he had also scanned them, looking for other shapeshifters hiding among them. Thank Mystra he had found none. While this was not everyone in town, more were still coming in, and he had no doubt that those that weren't here would be carefully questioned and examined even after he was gone to Carradoon.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:47 pm

"Lots to do." He confirmed as he started clearing the table. Turning his attention to the table he added, "As such, the day is yours. Don't take it for granted. That's the lesson for today." He shot Ashara a wink as he finished with, "Don't worry, we'll make up for it tomorrow..." The students sudden excitement drained. Their faces showed that they knew what 'that' meant...

He walked up to Ashara and quickly scooped up little Romen to a squeal of delight, and placed the boy on his strong shoulders. "As for Dawnmeet... I did think I'd accompany you today. I've lots to do, but no idea where to start... Today's a good day to look for a little divine inspiration, and I have a lot to give thanks for..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:54 pm

The clouds rolled overhead and began showering the areas beneath them in a fine mist. Far from dampening her spirits, the rain reminded Ashara just how quickly Spring was approaching, bringing an end to the long winter. Spring always brought a renewal of hope, and there was much to be hopeful for! Construction on the new temple was to begin in two weeks, Davion would become High Dawnlord and head priest of the temple, and their fourth child would be born at the end of Tarsekh sometime. The future was full of promise, but this day itself was still uncertain.

She was concerned about the affect the attacks would have on the people of Impresk. If the Champions alone had been involved, that would be one thing, but the deaths of Kendra and Tarpin, and likely that of Marstine could create an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty.

When they reached the Chapel, Ashara was surprised at just how many people had come to Dawnmeet this day! Word traveled fast it seemed... The concerned crowd parted as the family made their way into the small, tightly packed building. No one asked any questions, but she saw them in the eyes of the townspeople, and felt them in the hands that brushed her arms and patted her shoulders as she passed. Davion stepped up and kissed her hand with both relief and sorrow in his eyes, but knew better than to ask his questions here.

Spotting Therogeon and Almara near the front of the room, she sent a questioning glance to the half elven woman who nodded her head ever so slightly, causing Ashara's smile to widen before winking a congratulations to Master Taldavar.

The Sunrise Lord took her place up on the dias in front of the altar with a few moments remaining until Dawn. She'd cast Mind Read upon entering and looking out upon the audience now, was relieved to know there was no ill-intent in anyone's mind this morning. Many were there to honor Lathander. Many were there out of mere curiosity after hearing the rumors. All were concerned with what had happened and whether or not the town was safe.

Safe... Well, as safe as anyone could ever be in this world...

"Welcome everyone," Ashara began with a reassuring smile, "I know many of you have questions about the events of last evening. It is true that there has been an attack upon myself and my family, but by the grace of Lathander and the love and quick action of our friends we are unharmed and the attempt upon our lives was thwarted."

She saw her parents then, standing in the back of the building. It was unusual for them to attend a Dawnmeet as they were followers of Chauntea, but the look on her mother's ghost-white face revealed the reason they were there. Part of her was glad that she wasn't the one to break the news of the assassination attempt...

"The danger has passed," she stated as her eyes met those of Arryn Rosemorn, "and even now work is being done to see to it that the perpetrators of this plot are brought to Light...and to swift justice.

"We cannot allow these evil actions to cause fear to take root in our hearts, for that would only serve to give power to those beings who feed on darkness and chaos. It is true that there is much darkness in the world. Each of my valiant companions can attest to that! But we have also seen that when those with hearts filled with goodness and light and love stand together in support of one another, that no darkness can leave a lasting stain upon them. No evil can hold amongst a people who live in the light!"

Ashara's eyes began glistening in remembrance of the stain that the darkness had left upon her own heart. She could have allowed it to devour her, and at times she thought it might, but because of the love of the Champions the darkness had been scoured away. Her gaze drifted to Elric, her own champion, who smiled in understanding of the path her thoughts had been led down.

The Dawn was imminent now, and the priestess turned to kneel in front of the altar. She heard the shuffling behind her as many others joined her in the show of reverence to the Morninglord. The day was dark, but as the sun broke the horizon, the clouds parted and the light poured through the glass that made up the entire eastern wall of the structure. A golden radiance filled the room encompassing each of the faithful in a holy aura that emboldened the heart and eased their anxious spirits.

Ashara herself was wreathed in light as she lifted the bowl of blessed, dawn-touched water to her lips before handing it to the Dawnlord who passed it around to any of the devoted who wished to drink.

After the ceremony and the prayers had been completed the priestess found her way back to her family before being completely bombarded by questions. Ashara was quite grateful when Davion stepped up to address the crowd, telling them that all questions that could be answered would be, that evening during the twilight devotions.

When the majority of the townspeople had shuffled out, the Rosemorns stepped up with understandable concern etched on their faces, and Ashara briefly explained the circumstances and assured them when she knew more...that they would. There was still much to decide and thankfully her parents, realizing that they would need some time, offered to watch the children while the Champions met to make their plans.

They would be safe there at the old house. Her parents and the children... After finally returning home last night and after casting Nap on Elric, Ashara had Wind Walked quickly to her parents house to be sure they were safe. All was well there, but she'd put up a Ward before leaving. Just to be safe. The priestess was sure she'd hear about it this morning from Therogeon, but she had only been gone for a few minutes before she had returned to her husband and cast Nap on herself.

Ashara hugged her parents, lingering for a moment in her mother's embrace hoping to provide her some reassurance that all would be well. With a smile she watched the three toddlers follow merrily after their grandparents on their way back to the farm. Gloriously oblivious to the fact that they had almost been made orphans...or worse... Elric was right. They had a lot to be thankful for!

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:55 pm

Elric felt better after the morning rituals. He usually did. Ashara's strong words gave him confidence. Today WAS a new day. Last night they had been caught unaware. They were surprised in their own house. He had been tired, depressed, and more than a little drunk.

That was yesterday.

After Ashara had convinced him the children were safe, he approached Therogeon and Almara. There was a lot to do, and they needed a plan. Getting to the mage wasn't easy in itself. While the crowd seemed willing to defer to Dawnlord Davion and give Sunrise Lord Ashara a respectful amount of space... Lord Everdawn didn't get such a luxury. Everywhere he turned there was someone asking what happened. The first to approach was Roland Moonford.

Elric had been expecting that. Roland and he were on friendly if sometimes strained terms. The son of a local cotton farmer, he was the closest thing Impresk had to a Constable. Truth of the matter is he spent more time in the fields than he had enforcing the law. Other than a few people drinking a little too much and causing a ruckus, the job wasn't very intensive.

There was a time not long ago that Impresk had no need for such a position. However a lot had changed in a very short time. With the influx of fighters, mages, and priests the sleepy village was growing bit by bit. There were a lot more strangers in town too. Pilgrims come to see the mighty Dawnspeaker, and the legendary priestess who wielded it. With people came problems. The Champions had done a remarkable job keeping their own charges in check, but they had no authority over all the others.

After a couple of incidents at the Manticore, Mayor Erenhart insisted on someone to try to keep things in check. Everyone knew Elric was the first person asked and that grated a bit on Roland. Nobody wanted to be thought of as second choice. He also liked Impresk a lot better before the Champions had made themselves so famous. Still Elric had always been gracious about the matter and had offered a hand if Roland ever needed it. Despite his reservations, the constable felt relieved to know this skilled trainer of fighters was around.

At first Elric felt a little bad that he hadn't spoken to the man earlier, but then dismissed those thoughts. It was JUST past dawn after all... As quickly and as quietly as he could he filled him in on what little he knew. Marstine was his biggest concern. The half-dragon was sure she was dead... but until they knew for absolute sure, he wanted to keep hope alive. Roland agreed to get some volunteers and search the area for any clues.

After answering the many questions as best he could politely but quickly... it soon became apparent that they had to get out of there. He passed a quick word to Therogeon to meet them at the house as soon as he could get away, and the Warrior tried to work his way back toward his wife and then back home.

"So... What do we know?" He said as he looked around the meeting room at his friends. "He had just told the story from his point of view with every embarassing detail he could remember starting from when the sacred guardian went off. Any minor thing he left out could be an important clue to someone else. He felt his ears heat up and he could barely meet Ashara's eyes as he admitted how easily he fell for the imposter. His voice shook with anger as he told how they had pretended they lost the baby. Even the part about giving the enemy a healing potion... Everything he knew, they knew.

"Marstine' Told me that this didn't need to be about me yet..." He met Ashara's eyes again. "They were after you... Do we know why? Is there a reason they took you alive?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Ashara's blood ran cold as Elric told his tale. The attackers had used her against him... They had used their child against him! How many months would it take him to get over this new set of nightmares about "evil Ashara"? She wondered then if she would have been able to tell if one of them had approached her disguised as Elric? The thought sent a shiver down her spine...

She reached for his hand beneath the table and squeezed it reassuringly.

"You couldn't have known, Elric," Ashara said softly. "Somehow they knew exactly what to say to cause us to let our guard down. It makes me wonder if they haven't been watching us for awhile..."

She turned toward her companions and shared what she could of her tale. Honestly she didn't remember much, whether as a result of the poison or the exhaustion, there was little of importance that could be relayed. Still, she tried.

"I don't know why they would come after me, nor why they would want me alive. If they had been ordered to kill me, I would be dead. I know that much..." Her eyes met Elric's, remembering the long discussion they'd had just previous to the attack.

"Do I have some information that they want?" The priestess thought aloud. "That doesn't make much sense... What secrets do I have that the rest of you don't, and if they simply wanted to abduct me, why go to all the trouble to take my form?

"Perhaps they wanted to use me to get to the rest of you... Or perhaps it was a way to wound the faithful of the Morninglord. Could you imagine the scandal if it was discovered that the 'mortal face of Lathander on Faerun' was found to be a fraud? It could fracture the faith even further! All the work I'd been sent to do would be undone! For the life of me I don't know how they would be able to pull that off though!"

Ashara looked to her companions, hoping they had some more information that could be acted upon...

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Davion Lorvistad

Post  Penelope Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:21 pm

The middle-aged man sat back somewhat uncomfortably in his seat at the large mahogany table, trying to appear more at ease than he actually was. The Sunrise Lord had insisted that the Davion attend this meeting so he'd have information to pass along to those who may yet have concerns about last night's attack, and what was being done about it. He sat silently, simply gleaning what he could from the discussion.

He had to admit he was slightly in awe. He'd heard many of the stories and met each of the Champions, but being here sitting among those present was a humbling experience! And this room! The Dawnlord had been in their home many times before, but he'd never been brought into the meeting room. The walls were lined with trophies and sketches from their exploits. Weapons of all varieties were displayed, and a gently glowing set of chainmail hung on a standing form in the corner. Maces and axes and swords and staves...even what appeared to be a metallic head still attached to a spine!! A displacer tiger hide from the adventure in Esa El'Hadar's tomb hung above the table. He had been told that it was actually shortly after that, that he had met Ashara for the first time in Darrowmar. That was nearly seven years ago now... He remembered her from back then, but she had changed drastically from the shy, wide-eyed little girl who'd introduced herself claiming to never have stepped foot inside a Lathanderian temple before! Much had changed in seven years!

Sketches of many of those they'd encountered over the years were also hung as reminders, with names were written in at the bottom of the parchment. Dukarthius, a strange, four-armed demon looking...thing... The names Andureathel and Tenithalosa were attached to two elegant, elvish faces. Sir Tomas Mallory, Aretis Shadowmorn, Furgale, Josiah Thornbrand, King Thenden of Dagadar, King Haedrick of Tethyr, Nianya Sweetstrings, Sulime, Sir Evatt, Tomar, Marinelle... There were so many it was almost dizzying! Only a few didn't have names attached, and they were drawn in such a way that he could feel the pain of the artist who'd sketched them. Davion didn't feel it would be appropriate to inquire as to those particular faces...

A large painting of a swarm of bees they'd retrieved from Raven's Isle dominated the space between the two southern windows, and a smaller painting of the Everdawn family hung above the fireplace. On either side of this painting, two weapons were meant to be placed. He recognized the beautiful craftsmanship and the tell-tale red glow of the Everdawn blade that hung, sheathed to the left of the painting, but to the right, two glaringly empty hooks jutted from the wall. Davion's eyes went immediately to the Sunrise Lord's side where Dawnspeaker seemed to be looking back at him.

He said a silent prayer of forgiveness as he turned his attention back to the matters at hand. The news about Marstine in particular sickened him. He'd loved the girl like a daughter, and she lit up every room that she would enter. Davion couldn't believe for a moment that underneath all that she'd been this...monster! He wouldn't believe it. Sighing, he scratched contemplatively at short, salt and pepper colored beard. He hoped they would find her real body soon!

Looking around at the resolute faces of the powerful heroes at this table, he had no doubt that the entire matter would be brought to a swift and definitive close.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:03 pm

The elven wizard sat quietly next to Almara. His thoughts turned back to last night. Shapeshifters had assumed shapes familiar to those around them. His sister was attacked and kidnapped. But was she singled out because of being a member of CoRD or for her work for Lathander. Therogeon didn't know and in truth, he didn't care. It didn't matter because since they , whom ever they were, had attacked one of his family. That alone meant that he would bring the full might of his arsenal against them.

"Carradoon." His voice, though soft, cut through the silence like a knife. "We start our search in Carradoon. That is where they were taking you," he nodded toward Ashara, "And that is where I and who ever goes with me will start. We check the inns first, then move on from there. "

He smiled softly at Almara. She was carrying his baby...he was still in shock by that fact. HE was going to be a father. All the more reason to set an example now. If it was an enemy of the Champions or one of those against Lathander he or rather they, had to show them that attacking anyone in Impresk was a bad idea. He would do anything to protect his future wife and child.

He looked back to Ashara. "I am sorry aisler' but I am still against you going. I understand your desire to protect those you love and seek justice for the crimes committed here. I still think it is too dangerous for your child. And if that doesn't persuade you, then how about this. If the worst happens and we are walking into a trap your children will be without both of their parents. Plus I know we were scryed upon last night. Those responsible for this may be waiting for us to leave before attacking town again. We, and by this I mean the town, will need someone here who has been through a crisis and held their composer to guide and lead and help defend them." He sighed softly.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Eddick

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Eddick raised his voice. "I do have some information that might be useful." The old druid paused as all attention went his way. "I was able to interrogate one of the assassins, and she gave me some excellent information. It seems their intention was to destroy your credibility and do great damage to the church of Lathander. But even more than that, they wanted to replace all of us. I am not sure what kind of gain could possibly happen through such circumstances, but this is what she said their plan was.

"She also mentioned that they had a cowled faceless employer that they met in Caradoon, at the tavern called the Flaming Troll or something like that. Which will considerably narrow down your search friend mage." he said as he nodded in Therogeon's direction.

"I am also against Ashara's going as well. We need to have someone here unless we have more assassins on their way so that they may not get at you through your loved ones. Also, if you two get into trouble, Ashara and I can come and rescue you. But if she goes, and is not at her peak, they will focus on her, and then who will bring you back?"

Eddick turned to Ashara and had a gentle look in his eyes. "I also would not concern yourself with their danger. They are perfectly able to take care of themselves. Now that they are well prepared, They will not be so easy to stop. Besides, I have some extra healing grain with me that they can use. It is good for another two weeks."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Ashara's words kept ringing in his ears "You couldn't have known..." Blast it he SHOULD have known! The clues were there, he'd just been too blind to see them. The way they moved, the way they smelled... SOMETHING should have tipped him off it wasn't his wife. Regardless of how she dismissed his failure, the fact remained. He'd been feeding healing potions to the enemy, while she was being carried out of town.

Some 'Arato' he was...

"Flaming Troll in Caradoon..." he repeated. Therogeon seemed certain and that was good enough for Elric. Caradoon was where they would go next. He grinned as Therogeon again tried to convince Ashara she shouldn't go... he still wasn't sure what he thought about it. One thing he knew for sure, was if she wanted to go... she was going to go. As much fun as it might be to see him or Eddick try to convince her otherwise... he was hoping to avoid another shouting match like last night. As Therogeon listed his reasons, Elric simply squeezed her hand in encouragement.

He simply shook his head softly as Therogeon brought up the point of the children losing both parents. It was one of Elric's biggest fears. He'd lived the life of an orphan after all. Still Ashara and he had talked about that many times. They were after all 'Adventurers'. Nothing was going to change that. Every day there was a 'chance' one or both of them wouldn't come back. Despite that it was agreed neither of them would ever ask the other to retire simply based on the 'what could happen' scenario.

"You both make good points, and I understand what your saying Therogeon... but the town wasn't attacked. WE were. She was taken from OUR OWN HOUSE..." He exclaimed with barely suppressed rage. It was one thing to face danger on the road... or on a quest.. or basically when you're out LOOKING for it! But to have it hit in your own HOUSE. That upset the half-dragon more than he wanted to admit.

"I don't think now's the right time to split up... Especially leaving behind the only one they actually wanted!" He turned his attention toward Ashara.

"I know you can handle yourself without me around..." And he looked back at the elf. "and make no mistake, I'm going with you to find these guys!"

"If she comes with us, she'll be in danger... if she stays she's still in danger... I just won't be around to help... I think we just need to resign ourselves to constantly being in danger!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Eddick glanced over at Elric. "They planned to do this to all of us. We are the same in their eyes. Just because you were attacked first, does not mean you were the only ones attacked. We should also check up on Kaber and Gwilly. I can find Kaber easily enough, and do you have a way of contacting your mother? If not, that should be fine. Gwilly is the one that I am the least worried about here. She is about as protected as she could be about now."

"Look, it may be that this whole process was a feint to bring down the full force of us in retribution. Also, they way we respond to this might have other enemies of ours try doing the same thing. The last thing we want to do is play into their hand. Also, if just Therogeon and Elric can take down the entire organization that came after us by themselves, that will show everyone that we do not even need to be all in one place to be effective."

"Have Therogeon and Elric do some scouting, and return if they feel they need the extra help. Therogeon can teleport wherever they need to go, and if they get in over their heads, they can just as easily come back."
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 pm

The priestess was silent for a disturbingly long time. It took a few moments to let the rage of her initial reaction to subside, after the thought that she could be so easily replaced by a bag of wheat. But that was her first reaction...

"Thank you, Davion," she said, turning abruptly to the priest. "I know you have many things to do today and many questions to answer regarding the recent events. I think you have all the information that is known at this time."

The Dawnlord rose, knowing well when he was being dismissed, and frankly he was glad to be leaving as the tension in the meeting room was mounting rapidly. "Of course Sunrise Lord," he said with a bow and turned to leave, shutting the door behind him.

Ashara pushed back her seat and stood, moving over to the fireplace where she stared at the painting for a moment with her hands clasped behind her back.

"One of the things I've learned from the battles we've fought over the years, was that inevitably I seem to end up being a main target for death spells if not always direct physical attack. Perhaps it's because of the deity I serve or just as a result of the obvious nature of my role in the group. Maybe it's just my winning personality," she said, smiling her sarcasm at the Elric in the painting. "Either way, as much as it grates on me to admit it, I'm not up to my usual battle capabilities."

After pressing her fingers to her temple in annoyance, she reached up and took the Everdawn Blade off the wall. She turned to face her companions as she slowly pulled the glowing sword from its sheath.

"I cannot move the way I normally can. I will not be able to efficiently dodge an incoming attack. I most assuredly cannot fit into my mithril plate, though the Moonlit Chain," she added pointing to the armor hanging in the corner of the room with the tip of the blade, "... maybe.

"I say all this for one reason. I'm afraid that my own weaknesses will not only serve as a target for any enemies that might be encountered, but that those weaknesses might prove to be a disastrous distraction to you in battle." Her gaze shifted first to Therogeon, then landed heavily upon Elric.

"There is that. But then...," Ashara moved over to her husband. "I know there is no safer place in the world for me to be then at your side, and I believe the reverse is also true. I believe that even in my state, I could prove useful to you both. I'm torn down the middle..."

She was quickly becoming emotional at the thought of staying behind. Of not being there to ensure the safety of her brother and her husband.

"I agree with Eddick," she stated after taking a quick moment to compose herself, "Go to Caradoon. Learn what can be learned, and then decide whether my skills and those of our other companions will be needed in this endeavor or not. Meanwhile, Eddick can check on Kaber, and I will secure our family here and see that Marinelle is alerted to the possible danger to Gwilly."

Ashara smiled and her lip quivered only slightly as she ran her fingers through Elric's hair. Deciding on a particular lock, she sliced it off carefully with the Everdawn blade, then moved over to Therogeon and selected a lock of his.

She bent over to the mage's ear after retrieving a sample of his hair.

"You carry my heart with you, brother," she said in a soft whisper, "please do take good care of it."

With that, Ashara reverently sheathed the blade and held it out for Elric to take from her hands.

"My Lord..." She managed to squeak out the words in spite of the large lump forming in her throat.

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 am

Elric found himself disappointed in her decision. The warrior in him knew she was right. In her condition, she wouldn't be same in combat that he was used to. He would CONSTANTLY be worrying about her, and would undoubtably open himself to attacks just to defend her and the baby... He knew this.

Still he thought it would be easier to ask him to leave his heart behind. Naturally they had traveled apart before. Spirit Soaring, Waterdeep, even Caradoon on many occassions. But he couldn't remember a time when he'd knowingly walked toward danger without her by his side. Or left when she may need him. He feared he'd spend almost all their time apart, just waiting for the Sacred Guardian infused in his ring to go off.

Distractions either way.

Carefully he took the sword that represented their family and strapped it to his belt. Looking at his wife, he couldn't shake the feeling that this may be the last time he saw her. He pulled her close for powerful embrace.

"Are you sure about this?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 am

"I've never been less sure of anything in my life," she whispered, burying her face into his strong shoulder. "My heart and my mind are at war...

"If you do find some information in Caradoon, I would like you to share it with me if possible, and if you feel that you might need me there, or even if you simply want me there..."

Ashara pulled back to look into his eyes, her own now wet with tears.

"Elric, I know every tree in Caradoon. I've seen the inn the Flaming Troll, there's a young maple near there that I can use for travel. If you Whisper for me I'll be at your side within moments!

"You must know there is nowhere I'd rather be then at your side, a'maelverno'amin" she said, laying a hand against his cheek. "I'm not concerned about my own safety as much as I am about yours. I couldn't help but to slow you down in my state, and I'm afraid I could possibly put you in greater danger by simply being there!"

None of this felt right. The priestess ground her teeth together in frustration as the two sides of her mind argued all the points and tried to anticipate what might happen in either scenario. It was a bad situation all around. THAT at least she was certain of!

"I'm completely conflicted about this...," she sighed sadly. "If you feel that the best course of action is for me to come with you now, you need only say the word and I'll make sure the children are safe and leave the house with you. If you want to check out Caradoon first, then make a decision, I promise I will be waiting to hear from you at that time!"

Ashara wrapped her arms around him again, and her hands clutched tightly to his shirt, afraid to let him go.

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 am

Eddick was doing his best to fight rolling his eyes. There was always so much drama with these two. He would have thought that he might have gotten used to it by now, but he was just a little sick of having to drag the two of them into danger. They would be fine, no one would die irrevocably, and they were going to prevail. This group had seen the end of two demigods. It was going to take more than some merchant with a couple chests of coin and a dark purpose to defeat them.

The druid bit his tongue. There was something else here that fueled his bitterness. He was a bit lonely. Everyone seemed to be settling down. Even Therogeon, the one who never so much looked at a girl while they were adventuring together, was paired now. Eddick imagined that she must have threw herself at him in order to be noticed. And that brought a little smile to his face.

This couple had their own ways of telling each other that they were loved. Every couple did. Maira actually used to slap his face in a playful way when they were alone. If these two wanted to cry and smother each other in public, who was he to judge. Let them have their moment, as long as they did what was best.

Any time now...
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:23 am

The wizard smiled softly at Ashara as she whispered to him while cutting of a lock of his hair. He would indeed protect Elric, even as he knew Elric would protect him.

As the two Everdawn's were saying their good bye's, Therogeon wrapped an arm around Almara and pulled her close. He softly kissed her forhead, then placing his against hers where his lips had been, closed his eyes. Gently his open hand found her belly and softly rested there.

"My love, while we are gone, show her the tower's mirrors. That should help allay her fears somewhat." He grinned, "I have no doubts that you will probably be watching them every chance you get."

Almara's eyes twinkled with playfull mischef as she reached up and softly kissed Therogeon's lips.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Elric was quiet for a few moments. Logic and emotion were at odds. He'd always been taught to follow his instincts, and that's what he tried to teach his own student. Today Logic was winning out. Something about how if she did go with them, she'd be doing so without her armor was a deciding factor. The thought hadn't crossed his mind till she mentioned that observation. The Chain would help protect her, but would be virtually useless to the child.

With a deep sigh, he finally made a decision. "What I think is the best solution, is to lock you and the kids away in a magical tower completely safe until I can get back... We have a tower available!" he joked with a strained smile.

His face got serious again. "What I want, is for you to stay with me, but I think you're right... With the Whispers, and the Teleports, and the Sacred Guardians... we can stay in contact. There's no need to put yourself at risk, at least not yet."

"If we are going to seperate, I want to take some precautions before we leave. If you do choose to follow us, or if you see me in town... find some way to test me. Don't trust your eyes... Pick something really obscure that a Doppelganger wouldn't have pulled from my surface thoughts... I'm sure I can come up with something you haven't thought of in years!"

"We have the Whispers... If either of us are in trouble, START it with a location. Just in case we get cut off..." He didn't want to think about what would prevent them from speaking to each other... but it was always better to have a plan.

"Will you be able to Imbue Therogeon with a Sacred Guardian for you? I'll feel better if we're both keeping an eye on you, and he can get to you in a blink..."

He looked around at the group and just shook his head and sighed again. "I REALLY hate this..." he whispered into her ear.

Last edited by Elric on Mon May 03, 2010 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 am

Ashara could only close her eyes and nod her assent.

It was settled then. She would stay behind and try to keep out of trouble while Therogeon and Elric went out to find it. More than a small part of her wished he had insisted that she come, but it wasn't the responsible choice... It was more than just her life she'd be putting at risk.

A curtain of resignation dropped over her features. She could ward the house and she and the children could stay within its confines until this buisiness was done. Davion would be able to take care of things at the temple. The priestess had no doubt that she could ensure their family's safety here now that the threat had presented itself, but it tore at her heart to know that she may not be able to do anything if the two men were in danger! Hopefully the problem could be resolved quickly...

"Yes," she breathed slowly, "I will be able to Imbue you both with a few spells to have on hand in case you need them. Regenerative Heals as well..."

Placing a hand over Elric's heart, she whispered a divine incantation until a bright light exited through her palm and dissipated into his chest. Then, removing her holy symbol she pressed it to his forehead to Imbue him.

Therogeon was next and she did the same for him, as well as Imbuing the elf with Sacred Guardian as her husband requested.

It took quite a few minutes for her to complete all the casting, and when she was finished, Ashara pulled a small pouch from inside her robes and removed two rose petals. One she handed to Elric, meeting his eyes briefly. She'd cast this spell on him more times than she could count, and he would know what to do with it.

The other petal she kissed before handing it to Therogeon. "Cast the Sacred Guardian I've Imbued you with, brother. This rose petal will serve as the link between us.

"Eddick," Ashara asked softly, turning to the druid, "You said you have some grain that you could provide them with? I have a feeling that these two plan on leaving shortly..."

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 am

The wizard softly held the rose petal and cast the spell he was imbued with. The feeling of casting a divine spell was similar and yet different from casting an arcane spell. Once this was over he might have to talk to Ashara about casting more spells just so he could study the differences.

Therogeon stood up, "Yes, unfortunitly I believe we should leave soon. I can get us to Carradoon fairly quickly, but I am not as familiar with the Flaming Troll. I will be able to get us fairly close, I hope." He looked down at Almara, whose eyes held quiet tears she was trying not to shed. "You two take care, if you need anything, or anything happens, get ahold of me. I love you, my heart. Be safe."

He then looked to Eddick and Elric, the former for the grain of healing and the latter to see if he was ready.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next