The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

5 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Eddick

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 am

Eddick smiled and pulled out a small sack of wheat. "I usually keep about 50 kernels on me for emergencies, and I was able to make about 65 this morning. Since one of them is enough to mend a small bruise or cut, they should be enough to do some minor mending should you have to use your regenerative heals and be stuck somewhere. I am sure that any further injury should be dealt with by a return to Impresk where you have someone to properly fuss over you." He gave a quick wink to Ashara.

The old druid looked over toward Therogeon because he knew Elric's opinion of the proposition he was about to give already. "If you would like, I can also send Thornton with you. Being on guard duty for the last few months has made him a little antsy to get out and see more of the world. I had him wait outside so he wouldn't get too excited and then disappointed if you decided not to have him tag along. That and being outside is more calming to him than being inside. It's a plant thing."

"Anyway, he wouldn't be a burden (I'm sure he is under your weight limit, Therogeon), he could help carry things or do some mundane tasks for you if you need and I will say that he is quite a good shot with his crossbow, as well as knowing how to swing a sword. He does enjoy your company as well, and it doesn't hurt to have someone else watching your back. What do you think?"
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Elric kissed the rose petal and handed it back to Ashara. She would know if anything were to happen to him, and she knew Caradoon. They both did. The Flaming Troll sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite place it. They had to have stayed there before... For some reason he thought it may be near the south gates. Was it last spring? The spring before? You'd think with a name like that it would be more memorable. He was picturing a VERY fat Barkeep, but it wasn't something he'd want to gamble on.

Lost in reminiscing the mage's comments caught him off guard. Apparently Therogeon was ready to go NOW... That was interesting... His friend was rarely EVER ready to do anything... NOW. Elric had at LEAST expected him to need to memorize spells, or switch something out... but apparently he'd done that last night. The elf was ready for a fight, he realized with a grin.

Lost for words, Elric just shook his head and headed for the door of the meeting room. "Give me one moment, and I'll be ready."

Moments later he was in his bedroom opening an intricately carved wooden box. Inside on a soft cloth were items that he considered of immense importance, but didn't feel right using often. The wraps of Avin Yarth taken from Dagadar. The Tethyrian brooch. A gift from the previous queen of tethyr. It had powerful protection magic attached to it. Impresk wasn't officially associated with Tethyr, and the half-dragon stayed out of Politics whenever possible. Still, today he wanted all the help he could get. If Ashara was going to stay behind, he owed it to both of them to be as prepared as he could. It had powerful protection magic attached to it. As did the Elven bracers he's worn for so long. He also took the beastman mask and the brooch of Shielding that Gwilly had given him so long ago. Finally he picked up the magical Hand ax and tucked it into his belt. Not something he used often, but occasionally he didn't WANT to get close to his enemies. A weapon that returned to your grasp should never be left behind. He was glad he'd had it when they had fought the Great Ape King and his gems of Cease-to-be!

The only magical item he still wore on a regular basis was the ring Ashara had made for him, and the boots of Striding and springing. He still felt like using them was a crutch, hampering his own abilities... but being magical they were remarkably durable. He had a nasty habit of wearing through normal clothes a little too quickly.

Thus armed he crossed the hall to his waiting family. "I'm ready when you are."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Ashara was standing, with arms crossed, listening to Eddick and Therogeon when Elric came back into the room ready for battle. She couldn't help but to smile at the sight of him, in spite of the circumstances, and she had to admit to herself that she was a little jealous that the boys were going out to find a bit of excitement without her!

Completely irrational, considering the danger they would be in... Ridiculous to even think that she might actually enjoy herself while hunting down those that would threaten their family and friends...

It seemed that once the thrill of adventure had gotten under your skin, that it was nearly impossible to forget! Even to crave it! Traveling to far flung temples to speak with agitated priests about diplomatic issues, while necessary and often rewarding, did little to sate that desire. There was nothing quite like walking the razor sharp edge of a blade to make one feel truly alive!

However, it was much harder now to justify traipsing about the Realms and risking their lives when they had a family to look after, and that family brought Ashara more joy than adventuring ever had! Yet...the desire remained. She'd recognized that same need in Elric. It had been five months since their last adventure and as much as he treasured peace, the half-dragon was a man of action. Looks like he'd be getting his chance to punch something really soon!

"Elric, may I speak with you in the hall a moment?" She asked, not wanting to interrupt the discussion about Thornton. He nodded and the pair exited the room.

After shutting the door, Ashara pulled out a stone that bore an engraving of a dragon and placed it into the small pouch of continual light marbles that she removed from her belt before fastening it to Elric's.

"Don't throw that one," she smiled, "just keep it with you. That's what protected me from the magic of Zaebos' sword. I don't know what you two will be facing out there, but I'd feel better if you had this on your person, and since I won't be there to light your way..." Ashara patted the pouch on his hip. "These will have to do!"

She noticed the hand wraps looped through his belt and pulled them out. Taking his right hand, she began wrapping the blood-red fabric around his wrist and between his fingers in the same way she'd seen him do it so many times before.

"Wherever this path may lead you," she began with eyes focused on her task, "I would appreciate it if you'd let me know as specifically as you can where you are or where you plan on going. I have every confidence in your abilities as well as Therogeon's, and I have faith that you will defeat whatever threat you face! That said, I think we've both learned that our enemies cannot be underestimated, and I feel like I need you to be aware of the situation if...if something were to happen to either of you..."

Ashara sighed as she tied off the first wrap and moved onto his left hand.

"Elric, as I said last night, I cannot Raise without a body," she looked up into her husband's eyes, "I hate to even think about this, let alone say it out loud, but it needs to be said. If something were to happen, and I couldn't find you, I would have to wait until our child is born before attempting Resurrection..."

She shifted her gaze back to her work, praying that he didn't feel like she was doubting his skills.

"I cannot begin to think what magical aging would do to the baby! That means it would be about two months you would be spending in Elysium, and from everything I've read, the longer one spends on that plane, the less likely they'll ever want to come back. For Therogeon, being an elf now, I'm sure you realize it would be even less likely...

"Just... Just be careful," Ashara managed a small smile as she finished wrapping his hands. "Oh, and when you find who is responsible for all this," she grinned, "be sure to punch them once for me too!"

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Elric listened thoughtfully as Ashara spoke her fears. After Tarpin fell, and Kendra's body was discovered his mind had gone to similar places. He knew she had plans to recover the precious years lost when she resurrected the Nymph and destroyed Shar's Rod. Then they found out about the baby. They didn't want to speculate what kind of effect that might have on the child, so it was put off. What would Aging do? If he had fallen in battle would she have thought that through before bringing him back? Knowing she had already considered the possibilities helped put his mind to ease.

When she got to her last request, he couldn't contain the laughter. With a glint in his eye he replied, "Once for you, Once for the baby and once for each of the Everdawn clan."

"I'll do my best to check in with any news, but I'll also use the Whispers sparingly..." He warned. "I don't want to give you a running commentary, only to run out when we need it the most..." He brushed the auburn hair from her ear, and just rested his hand on her cheek. "Almara and Therogeon can keep in contact much more freely... and I'm sure she'll be keeping tabs on us the whole times..." A mischievous grin formed and he couldn't resist adding, "I was only 'mostly' joking about the magical tower..."

He opened the pouch with the dragon stone and turned it over in his hands, quietly thinking. He remembered when the Champions were dividing their treasure and this little item came up. It would protect against life quenching spells. At the time he'd argued that it should go to Ashara, either because she was the healer... or because she had been targeted so often by the nastiest of spells. The others saw through his reasons pretty easily, but had agreed with his logic regardless. The trinket had gone to her.

Truthfully he hadn't given it much thought after the battle with Xvim until after the fall of Zaebos. He still remembered the brutal fury that the Fiend had unleashed on his wife while he could only watch and try desperately to free himself from the coiled tail. She had told him later that she had felt that stone activate whenever she had been cut or stabbed with that massive sword.

They hadn't known at the time that she was carrying a child. Nor did they know what the sword was 'supposed' to do. However, Elric had no doubt whatsoever, that this little thing had saved it's life that day.

"Are you sure you want me to take this..." He couldn't help but ask with eyebrows raised. "I really feel more comfortable knowing it's with you..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Therogeon

Post  MrPrettyPretty Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm

"Thornton? I'm sorry my friend, I completely forgot about him." The wizard placed a hand on his chin in thought. "Yes, actually I do believe I can accomadate him. Though I must warn you, I do not have very means of quenching fire. Once it starts that is."

He grinned at his friend while the two Everdawn's left the room, "Why don't you tell me more about the construct while we wait for those two to finally say good bye."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:13 pm

"Perhaps we can compromise then," she sighed dramatically, "I'll gather up the children and accompany Almara to the safety of the magical tower where we will lock ourselves away until the two of you return.

"You..." Ashara pushed her husband's fingers over the stone resting in his palm. "You keep that! Just in case!

"Do we have a deal?" She grinned and raised an eyebrow, daring him to argue about it any further.

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:12 pm

"Deal." He laughed lightly. He slipped the stone back into the bag of marbles. He had no illusions that he would be leaving without every protection she could arm him with. If he refused too much, then she'd undoubtably insist on going... or following shortly after. Which if he was honest with himself wouldn't be a disapointment. Still, they had already made the decision.

He may have made light of the matter, but he truly did feel better knowing that his family would be surrounded by powerful mages hand chosen by Therogeon.

"As for Elysium..." He pulled her close and kissed her in a way that he hoped would banish any doubts about where he wanted to be.

"I can't speak for our Elf friend... but, there's nothing over there that would cause me to choose staying... Take as long as you need... Whenever you call for me, I'll come running. Besides, there's a new Everdawn I'm looking forward to meeting!"

"Now... If we don't get going soon, I may not go at all!" he laughed as he held her close.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:54 pm

"Alright, alright," she laughed along with him, kissing him fiercely once more before disentangling herself from his embrace.

Ashara reached for the door but turned back suddenly and looked up at him. She didn't want to say goodbye, that just seemed too...final...

"Come back to us as soon as you can," she said in all seriousness, "and most preferably in tact! Also, you may want to ask Therogeon about any news he might like to share with you. There are certain secrets I am quite terrible at keeping!"

She shot Elric a brilliant smile before opening the door and stepping back into the meeting room with their good friends.

Though feeling markedly better about the situation, she was still glad that Almara had the means to keep an eye on them in case they would need any assistance. Ashara knew there was no way she'd be able to properly focus on anything else while they were gone... Especially if Sacred Guardian was going off...
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Eddick

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:30 pm

"Oh don't worry about fire, I found him a decanter of endless water. Make sure he dowses himself every day. It helps keep him fresh." Eddick was genuinely happy about Thornton going with. Ever since Ivy was destroyed, he has been a bit mopey, this was sure to lift his spirits.

"Thornton is a construct, yes, I suppose, but I don't think of him as such. Most golems tend to be rather mindless, but Thornton and the ones that I have with me are not such. My spells are rather unique even for druids because of my unique status among druids. It was as if nature herself would listen to my needs and grant me my desires, well to a limited extent. When I first asked nature for a servant, a grass man is what she provided. When I asked for a stronger version, like a lieutenant, Thornton is what she provided.

"Thornton is capable of directing his men in intuitive ways. He is about as fine a shot as I have ever seen with his crossbow, you know, the one we found in Dagadar. But there is a bit of a mystery to him as well. There are some things about him that I cannot explain. He is fond of drawing and music, especially string music. I don't really know why, but he seeks it out and has even tried playing some instruments, but he is really not quite equipped for it. I have taught him to write, and he can express himself on his slate adequately. He is somewhat childlike, as he often views things in innocence and wonder."

Eddick scratched his beard for a moment. "I don't suppose you have ever looked at him with your analyzing spell. It might tell you more than even I know. But no matter what you see, remember this: treat him like a slave, he will do whatever you say; treat him like a person, he might just save your life. He saved mine. But that is a story for another time." The old druid said with a twinkle in his eye.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:27 pm

Elric followed her into the room. He couldn't help but think there was something he was forgetting, but it would have to wait. He'd done all he could here. He was as well armed as he'd ever been, and he knew Ashara and the kids would be safe.

"Anytime you think your ready brother..." he said glibbly and with a bemused grin. "I'd hate to be late for our appointment with evil doers in need of punching!" The half-dragon slowly made a fist with his magically enhanced hand wraps.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Thornton

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 am

Thornton couldn't help but overhear what was going on inside. His hearing was actually pretty good, considering he didn't have ears like most. He was all ready to go, having put on his helmet and chainmail. He had his crossbow hanging from his belt, and extra bolts, just in case. He also had her axe on his back. He would be ready for anything.

As he was accepted by the mage, he slipped in quietly standing behind Elric, hoping not to disturb him. Master had explained that Elric had difficulty accepting what he did not understand, and that he did not understand Thornton. This concept was really foreign to Thornton, because there was so much he did not understand, that he had to take things as they were.

There were two types of animals, for instance. There were the overgrown, which needed to be trimmed. Master had explained that animals had roots, and these roots could not be seen. When the visible part is destroyed, the roots regrow the body in the animal's true home. When people tried to hurt others except in defense or for food, it was time for them to be sent home. Thornton did not like trimming, but if master said it had to be done, he did it. When Master explained that there were some overgrown who came after Elric and Ashara, he had hoped to go trim them. He didn't know why exactly, but it seemed like a proper response.

Then there were neigbors. These were like other nearby plants. They could provide shelter, but they sometimes would compete for things. The proper way to deal with these is to do the best we can do for the things we need but not to injure or hurt them. Thornton knew he needed to be careful when competing with animals. He did not want to get overgrown and need to be trimmed by the master. He also did not need much either, so his planned on doing his growing elsewhere. There was not as much shelter by himself which was difficult sometimes.

Thornton was happy to be going, but he did not want to make too much noise as to compete with Elric or anyone else who was making words. Sometimes people making words got irritated if you made too much noise, because you were competing with them. He really hoped that he could help Elric and Therogeon, because helping was the opposite of competing, and without that, all things could live and grow and perhaps he would even find shelter.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:23 pm

The wizard nodded as Eddick explained about his golem. That was a relief about the decaunter of water. He really did not want to worry about dousing the creation every time some one cast a fireball or some similar spell.

He looked up as Elric walked in, proclaiming his desire to go. Directly behind his family was Thornton. Therogeon wondered if Elric knew if the golem was behind him, or even if it was coming along. He grinned to his brother and turned to Almara. Gently he pulled her to her feet. Smiling warmly he leaned forward and gave her one last, long kiss. He then turned towards the others, "Coming you two?" he asked.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:31 pm

"Two?" Elric questioned. For a moment he thought the topic of Ashara was back open again, but then the golem slithered in behind him.

The creature really creeped Elric out. Most of Eddick's creations did if he was honest. Something about the way they moved simply wasn't natural. Regardless of what it's creator said.

The half-dragon never really knew what they... were? Were they simply Automatons? Inanimate objects given movement to complete a task for it's maker? That was something he could wrap his head around... But what was with the names? Naming indicated personality, individualism. He had always marked that to another of Eddick's eccentricities. Maybe if they had names, then the druid wouldn't be out in the wild talking to himself... Perhaps Eddick simply preferred to call his servants by name.

Elric wasn't comfortable with the idea of Servants in general. To claim you were better than someone else and order them to do your bidding... Not Elric's style. But then he and Eddick came from two separate cultures. Eddick was a nobleman, Elric was the orphaned son of a shepherd. Regardless of the truth behind his blood... or the little names Ashara called him... He still couldn't really consider himself a prince. His students tended to jump when he spoke, but that was different. He didn't own them. Any time they weren't content, they could leave with no hard feelings. Servants were something else entirely. And that was with MEN...

Thornton was worse than the rest. The way it moved, the way it responded... it 'almost' seemed alive. Was it? Everyone acknowledged that he was more than just a grassman. But how much more? He had seen it stare at him before. Staring without eyes on that blank emotionless head. What did it want? COULD it want? If it DID have desires of its own... was it right to just leave it in the grove to guard rocks for months at a time? Or to just use it to carry stuff around? The golem was simple questions upon questions...

One thing Elric DID know, was he didn't want it to come with them... He didn't know it that well. They were dealing with Shapeshifters. He felt somewhat confident that if Therogeon was replaced, he'd be able to tell the difference. At least now that he knew there were shapeshifters involved anyway... But Thornton? He didn't know him well at all... and the thought that a doppelganger could be right behind him with a crossbow did NOT sit well with him. Who would it obey? Just Eddick's orders? Therogeon's? His? ANYONE's? That was a horrible thought... Almost as bad as it deciding for itself what it should do.

To anyone watching Elric's thoughts were written on his face. He was about to start debating against the idea, when he saw the joyous look on Eddick's face. He let out a long calming breath and sighed. This argument could take the rest of the afternoon, and they had places to be. He could handle the gollum if the need necessitated.

"Well... I guess subtlety is out." Probably was anyway. They were quite well known in Caradoon, and he doubted they'd be able to 'sneak' anywhere anyways... but he could just imagine the looks on peoples faces when Thornton walked into the tavern...

Elric shook his head in resignation. "If you want it, then lets bring it... But If it's coming, then let's get going..." Before I change my mind, was left unspoken
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 am

The wizard smiled in understanding and placed a comforting hand on Elric's shoulder. He nodded to Thornton and asked the golem to place a hand on Therogeon's shoulder. Once every one was in place, he winked softly to Almara and whispered the words to send them directly to Carradoon's town square.

Without a flash or noise, the trio vanished from the house and appeared in the middle of the town. A few people who noticed their arrival quickly sheid away from them, especially the strange looking Thornton. They quickly calmed however when they saw it was with two members of CoRD. A few suprised gasps turned into gratefull hails.

Therogeon looked around the town. Not much had changed since the last time he'd been here, but he had to admidt, he wasn't here often. Which is probably why he couldn't place the Flaming Troll or even know where it was. He turned to Elric, "I hope you know where we are going. This is really the only place in town I know well enough to trust teleporting to."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:16 pm

"I think so..." Elric began uncertainly. Caradoon wasn't that far from home. With the resources at their command, they rarely HAD to stay the night here. Still, he had been here often. If he could get his bearings... It always took him a moment after magical travel. Shaking his head he looked around the vaguely familiar city.

"I think it's that way!" he pointed to the south. "Not a very friendly area, but it's cheap and I doubt people ask many questions." His face started to flush in anger again as he remembered that Ashara was already being taken there.

"Therogeon..." He said putting a hand on the mages shoulder. "Do we have a plan? What are we planning to do here? As much as the thought appeals to me... we can't just kick open a door and kill everyone in the room."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Thornton went for his backpack. In there he had a tabard with the symbol of Cord embroidered on it. The weaver had given it to Eddick, but for some reason he never wore it. It was nice and thick, so he could wear it occasionally without harming it too much. Thornton thought that if he put it on, he might frighten less.

Try as he might to fit in, he had thorns sticking out of his body, all over. He had worn a cloak on occasion, but since the thorns stuck out at odd angles and did not like to lay down like hair tended to, it made him look much more misshapen than he actually was, and tended to frighten even more than if he went around without because people's imaginations were often worse if they saw the truth. At least that is what master said.

When he threw the tabard, he felt more included in the expidition. He also hoped that maybe there would be a suggestion in their minds that they should simply announce themselves and let it go as that. Thornton was not terribly good at information gathering, because he was ill equipped. And although he was sneaky enough to be able to pull off an ambush if need be, he preferred knowing who the overgrown were at a distance and trimming them with his crossbow.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  The Sub-Creator Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:19 pm

It stood still as a statue amidst the town circle of Impresk, watching. The townsfolk progressed with the business of their daily lives in a variance of purpose: some strolled, others meandered, while more still in expedient or diligent fashion. None marked the watching presence, except to shiver subconsciously whenever one strayed too close, the proximity inserting an unrecognizable dread within the innocent recesses of the mind's naivety toward the continued desire for existence. Amazing the propensity of the human brain to adapt to its surroundings without ever hinting the changes to its employer. If that which watched deemed time of any relevance whatsoever, it may have gleaned some mirth at observing how the routine paths of the people in this town altered just so over the last three full cycles of the moon in unwitting adjustment to its vicinity.

Had this town's occupants been capable of noting the watcher, the sight would surely have terrified their waking hours as readily as its unseen propinquity seeded into their nightmares. Approximately a foot shorter than an ogre in height, but with broad shoulders and a hulking mass equivalent to that of a giant, it could easily intimidate the most fearsome of warriors. A smooth, pale, and hairless head of wildly disproportionate features saddled neckless atop that massive body; its nose a bulbous thing, but without sharp edges to provide a clear definition, and eyes so small by comparison that one might mistake them for the shallow impressions formed by a lightly pricking dagger point. Within that space was only darkness, like an empty void that knew all, understood all, yet cared for nothing. Its hands settled across its abdomen, hidden within the large sleeves of a black robe as substantial as a starless night sky.

From its place in the circle, the watcher witnessed everything that occurred the night before--both outside the Everdawn manse and along the distance road. Indeed, it saw, and judged the activities insignificant to its given assignment. Even now, as the Champions of the Red dawn split paths to investigate the newest disturbance to their lives, it held fast to its station, ever vigilant.

Waiting for its charge.

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:20 pm

"A plan?" the wizard grinned. "Not really. I just figured that we would walk into the Troll and start asking questions. If we find the person responsible, then we take them down, hard and fast. If not, then we start the tracking process there." He shrugged and turned to watch Thornton put on his tabard.

Once the golem was finished he turned back to Elric, "Well, I suppose we should get started. Try not to kill everyone." He grinned.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Thornton nodded in agreement.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Elric's eyebrows raised. "Well... That's an encouraging plan."

They started walking silently down the street towards where he remembered the inn being. Some people called out to them... but the look of determination on their faces sent more than a few of them scurrying from their path. Or perhaps it was the Golem.

Elric only lead them down one wrong street before correctly leading them to the Flaming Troll Inn. He realized now why the place didn't make much of an impression on him. This was one of the few inns in town he had NOT stayed at. The situation had never been that desperate before. The dilapidated building should have been torn down years ago the half-dragon thought. The only thing that looked like it had been properly maintained was wooden sign proclaiming it's name and a comical picture of what 'someone' must have thought a troll looked like.

He rested his hand on the door before opening it. "Ok... Therogeon, I assume you've got some way to control the golem? Keep it on a short leash... This isn't our home and I have no intention of rotting in jail because the last thing you told it was 'don't kill EVERYONE.'

With a smirk he pushed the rusty door open.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Verton Wordray

Post  Penelope Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:23 am

The innkeeper sat in his dingy chair, feet resting on the desk in front of him as he teetered precariously on two of the four wooden legs. Eyes half closed, the man was attempting to catch a few minutes of fitful sleep between the bothersome patrons that would enter his humble establishment.

Just as he was drifting off once again, hinges creaked in the same annoyance that Verton felt as three such bothersome patrons pushed open the front door.

He pulled his feet off the desk with a grumble and a groan and squinted into the light as they entered. A half elf, and elf and a...bipedal plant walked toward him... Then he saw the tabbard the thing wore.

A sunrise over Impresk lake.

The Champions had come, just as the dark man had said they would! The blood drained from the innkeep's face, and in his surprise he lost his balance on the chair and fell over into a heap.

Ignoring the embarrassment, Verton scrambled to his feet and stood at the desk, sweating noticeably. He had heard of the Champions of course, but hardly knew enough to recognize them or even know their names.

"Uhh... my lords and... friend...," he paused eyeing up the golem. "Welcome to the Flaming Troll. May I ask if you're wantin' a room?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Ashara - Impresk

Post  Penelope Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:35 pm

For a few brief moments, the priestess stood focused on the place where her two companions had vanished. She couldn't allow herself to think that it might indeed be the last time she would see either of them. That kind of thinking wouldn't do anyone any good, and there was much to be done!

If Elric and Therogeon were to go into battle, than so was she. Mentally if not physically. A familiar curtain of resolve fell at that point, walling off her mind from the emotion of whatever might occur this day. Ashara knew it would be difficult to have to see them in danger, and to be able to do nothing to aid them, but falling apart wasn't so much an option today. Not in front of Almara and Therogeon's students, and certainly not in front of the children!

After these thoughts passed, she turned abruptly and moved to the corner of the room where she pulled the chain mail off the form and picked up her magical shield that was propped up next to it.

"Almara, my dear, would you mind taking these things to the tower for me? I'd like to have them there just in case I need to move quickly, and I need to go get the children from my parents house."

The half-elf kindly consented and after loading her up with the armor, Ashara squeezed her shoulder and smiled gently.

"It's good that you will be getting the opportunity to see Therogeon in action like this. I know that you realize how skilled he is at what he does, but watching him in combat is a sight to behold I assure you!

"I'll meet you at the tower shortly," she stated after the thoughts of battles past flooded through her mind. "I'll be sending someone over with Ms. Starbright's body as well, so you are aware. I will see what I can do about calling her and Tarpin back to us today."

She smiled reassuringly and gave her a kiss on the cheek, before Almara left to rush off to the tower.

Without so much as a word of warning, Ashara moved over to the old druid and pulled him in for a tight hug.

"Thank you again, my friend. For yesterday. For today. We miss having you around here!" She smiled and released him, briefly considering tugging his beard, but deciding against it. "Tell Kaber hello for us when you find him please and ask him to come visit when he can... It's been FAR too long and soon there will be four children that would like to see him in person rather than just in the story books!

"Forgive me for the haste, but I promised a certain warrior that I'd be locked up in a tower soon! I hope you'll come back when this business is concluded," she said before turning to leave. "I'd love to hear what you've been up to since we saw you last! You always do have such good stories!"

After a final wave of 'see you later', Ashara smiled and left the meeting room, making a quick detour to the bedroom to collect her pack and scroll cases. Again. Just in case.

So burdened, she was rushing down the stairs to head out to the temple before picking up the kids, when she heard the sharp cracks of feet and hands striking wooden targets from the training room.

Poking her head inside, she saw most senior of Elric's students, launching himself into a fury of kicks and punches, hitting some, but missing most of the targets in his anger.

The priestess felt terrible for him. Bramin hadn't yet seen eighteen Springs and here he was already dealing with a terrible loss... She had only been eighteen when Sulime killed herself, she realized with a start! Ashara easily remembered how helpless she felt. Like somehow she should have known. She guessed that he was feeling something similar, and her heart went out to him... Marstine was a good and sweet girl.

"Bramin..." Ashara's soothing voice attempted to penetrate the young man's rage-fogged mind. "Your Tura has given you this day to yourself. It's commendable that you're here working on your skills," she said with gentle suspicion, " but I'm guessing there's something else you'd rather be doing..."

Last edited by Ashara on Thu May 06, 2010 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:52 pm

"A room? no." Elric answered carefully. It was an inner struggle to keep the anger from his voice. Yelling and threats wouldn't get him what he wanted. He had to be 'diplomatic.' Hopefully he'd picked some of that up from his wife as she visited the temples.

"There's a guest or guests here, who may be expecting us. They were either here last night, or they reserved the place for last night. It's also very likely that they left in a hurry last night or this morning..."

He pulled out a small pouch that jingled with the promise of payment. "I want to know EVERYTHING about them, and if they're still here... I would LOVE an Introduction!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Bramin

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Bramin grimaced throught the pain. That last punch was off target. He felt his hand twist oddly and he knew it was sprained. Didn't matter... Work through the pain. That's what Tura said. The fight doesn't end because your hurt... it ends when your opponent killed you. Don't let the little things stop you.

Easier to say then to do... He knew what the problem was. Marstine was still missing. The cute blonde girl that was always helping Lady Ashara. Everyone seemed sure she was dead. The Everdawns were attacked last night, and he hadn't done anything to help! By the time he'd gotten there the fight was over.

He still shuddered when he thought of Elric lying there in that pool of blood. The half-elf had always seemed invincible. He was everything Bramin hoped to be... Elric had always warned him that there would always be someone better... Treat each opponent as if he WAS that one... More words. Certainly at HIS level there were LOTS of threats out there. Whenever he got a little overconfident with his growing skills, Tura was quick to remind him... forcefully sometimes... just how much he had to learn. He now realized the truth of his master's words. There were threats all around... REGARDLESS of how powerful you became!

Confusion and Anger were clouding his mind. His blows were falling too soft, or too off center and that only led to more frustration. It had become a rarity to have the training room to himself. He had hoped a workout would help him focus, but so far nothing. He couldn't get the thought of finding Ms. Starbright's body shoved in that closet. Shamus had barely made it outside before vomiting, and had sworn him to secrecy. He had promised easily enough. He'd felt sick at what some monster had done to that kind old woman too...

The thought of the same thing happening to that sweet girl, those blue eyes staring vacantly... With a growl he threw another punch at the target and recoiled in pain. Wrong hand again!

"Bramin... Your Tura has given you this day to yourself. It's commendable that you're here working on your skills, but I'm guessing there's something else you'd rather be doing..."

"Ahhh.... " the young fighter exclaimed. Startled he spun around and saw Lady Ashara standing there. Shame filled him. Tura Elric would be ashamed if he knew that he was still getting snuck up on. "Lady Ashara... I uhh, I didn't know your meeting was over..."

"Yes... I do have other things to do today. I'll be helping Mr. Moonford look for Marstine's..." he couldn't bring himself to say the word. "Look for Marstine." He awkwardly tried to recover.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Verton Wordray

Post  Penelope Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Sensing the tension in the big man's voice made Verton's face grow slightly more pale.

"Look, we ain't wantin' no trouble here, sir. We're a reputable establishment, ya see...," the innkeep explained, as his eyes fixed on the bag of coins.

"Yeah there was a man here yesterday, said some of you Champions might be comin' round. He left early this mornin' though...at least I think he did..." The man's eyebrows came together furrowing his brow. "Disappeared inta thin air anyway. He paid up through the week though, and ain't nobody been up in the room, so may be he's still there."

Verton's dark brown eyes sparkled at the thought of the pouch of gold the dark man had left him. It would have paid for the room for a lot longer than a week, but he just considered the extra coin for the excellent service that he undoubtedly received!

"Oh, and he left a note fer ya..." The man rifled around the drawers of his desk until he came up with the small, folded piece of parchment with a black wax seal.

"I ain't wantin' to intrude or nothin'," he said with slight concern, sliding the note over across the desk to the elf and half-elf, "but I don't think yer all wantin' business with his sort... He don't seem the kind that heroes and the like would want t' deal with."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 2 Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next