The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Autumn 1372  - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Autumn 1372

3 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 8 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:13 am

"Quite done, thanks," she nodded after filling a second vial at the stump of the gruesome arm. As Elric began to light up the troll, Ashara dragged the still-writhing appendage over to the flames. Somehow it seemed that the thing could sense the fire and it began to try scrambling away, digging the long claws into the dirt to try to escape her grasp. Without a body though that proved difficult. The priestess had to kick it twice in the wrist area and flip it over onto its knuckles before she was successful in leaning the heavy arm back up against its former body, where it began to burn.

"Troll blood is very useful," Ashara smiled, waving off some of the acrid smoke that drifted toward her, "and I've never actually collected it myself. I can see why it's so expensive to buy!" Snapping the latches shut on the kit, she slipped it safely back into the haversack. "Twenty four drops are needed for the ink to write scrolls of Heal, and five drops are used to brew... Umm..." She knew at that point she'd said too much... Elric's curiosity was piqued at the word 'brew'. He'd always been squeamish about drinking healing potions. Didn't taste like they should be good for you, he'd always say, and she never exactly went into detail about the components of the liquid.

Stalling, Ashara went and retrieved the horses, who seemed just as unnerved by the burning, twitching trolls as they were when the beasts were alive. "So... Ahh... You know I love you right?" She asked tentatively, in the most ominous manner possible. "That I wouldn't ever give you anything that might harm you? Well, umm...honey from giant bees isn't the only thing that's needed to create potions of healing..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 8 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:46 am

Elric's face went pale at the implications and he just blinked... twice.

"You mean.... Your kidding right??" But the look on her face told him she wasn't kidding at all. He felt the bile rise in his throat, and with some effort fought it back down. He grimaced at the thought and kicked at the troll corpse reigniting some dying embers. He shook his head and grinned.

"Well, it's like Eldorath used to say.... 'Shut up and drink it. It's good for you!" Perhaps not the 'wisest' lesson he'd taken from the elf, but it still applied in certain situations. They had a few of the potions with them... and if Ashara wasn't trusting magic, odds were very good that he'd be drinking 'Troll Blood' soon enough. He shuddered.

"On a separate note, Now I have a name for that aftertaste...."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:39 pm

"Aftertaste? Oh, no my dear. It isn't the troll's blood that leaves the aftertaste..."

Ashara turned away from the horrified half elf, securing the few items that were strapped onto Himbar's back while she tried to hide her wide grin. She could just imagine what awful things Elric's mind was concocting about what else might be in those potions. Sometimes she just couldn't help herself...

"So! Shall we press on then!?" The young woman suggested cheerfully, as if the comment had never been made. "If we're careful we should be able to get across the river without incident."

And that they did, though the skittish Himbar nearly jerked Ashara down into the water with him after being startled by a fish, she somehow managed to keep her footing on the bridge ruins as they led the horses across next to them. At least she hoped that was just a fish... She also hoped that the horses wouldn't get them killed out here!

After the river had been crossed, they road soon split into three different directions. The one that headed to the south and west were in poor condition as one might expect, but the Everdawns were able to see that at one time, they'd both been covered in a beautiful gold and white gravel. The third path that led off to the southwest was a simple, overgrown dirt track.

Ashara was fairly sure they'd actually entered the city proper and while there were clearings where the sun was shining through the leaves, the trees were still thick around them, and not all of it was 'new' growth. Many of these trees were truly ancient. Everything seemed peaceful, but eerily, there were no sounds... No birds. No insects. No scampering squirrels. It was as if the forest creatures knew something they didn't, and it put the priestess very much on edge.

Nervously she kept an eye out while removing their map of the city. It was difficult not knowing where to start their search for the Dawnspire... She might guess that it would be on the outskirts of the city, rather than in the center of the dangerous ruins, but Myth Drannor was quite large. The western road should take them across to the 'old city', while the southern path would take them into the eastern side of Dlabraddath, the 'new city' where all the n'tel quessir...the non elves...made their homes after the city was opened to them. The overgrown southwestern path should take them into the center of the ruins.

Something about the 'road less traveled' had a sort of fanciful appeal to the young woman, but maybe it was a bit early to be heading into the mouth of the dragon. Maybe not the best analogy to be using in this place...

"Should we continue to the south or do you have a better feeling about one of the other roads?" She asked in hushed tones, reluctantly breaking the ominous silence that had fallen upon them.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Elric studied the map for a moment. He saw the glade, the river and the three branched road. For first time in days he actually felt confident of where they were... However the problem was, they didn't know where they were going!

"I don't know Melamin... " He said quietly. The silence of the place was unnerving. They'd been in tombs with more ambient sound than this place. Of course, he remembered the stories he'd heard. After the Weeping War, that's what this whole city was... A tomb.

"If we follow this road," he pointed toward the one to the south. "We'll be along the eastern edge of the city... A logical place to build a temple to the dawn... Of course ours in the west! So that doesn't mean anything." He pointed toward the western path. "This way however would take us to the heart of the Elven city. It's much more cleared out there, and you may actually see the sun... And of course this middle one is somewhere in between... More buildings and less trees, but not heavily lived in... "

He shrugged his shoulder and handed the map back. "I don't know... Now that we're here, it's bigger than I realized... Where do you think we should start looking?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 pm

"Let's continue south, then we can start in the east side of the city and move to the west," she suggested with a slight smile. "Seems like a good pattern to follow."

Ashara carefully rolled up the map and tucked it back into the scroll case. "Oh, about before..." Eyebrows crunched together forming gentle furrows on her brow. "Our Whispers are affected by the Mythal. There was that...resistance again when I tried it. I have some concern that if Whispers are affected, then possibly some of our magical equipment might be affected, maybe even your ring," she said, her gaze darting briefly to the glowing red topaz. "Maybe even Dawnspeaker... I guess we won't know until we try, and I'm not saying we can't use our items and I'm not saying that I'm not going to use any spells, I just think we'll need to be cautious is all.

"If we find the Dawnspire, maybe the priests there will know more about how the Mythal affects casting, but all I know is that last night I cast Color Spray on you... I channeled a healing spell and a wizard spell was the effect... I'm not going to lie," she grinned, "I feel slightly dirty."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:52 pm

He chuckled quietly at the admission. "I'll be sure to tell Therogeon that when we get back home..." Odds were the older half-elf was going to be furiously jealous, how could he not!! Elric made a mental note to try to find him a souvenir if they could...

"South it is then... " Slowly they turned to their left and continued their adventure.

"I think your right about the items too." He was thoughtful for a moment. "This early in the morning, I didn't try the ring... but when I used the boots to help with your green friend, I may have felt... something. A... Hesitation maybe, in the magic??"

He looked down at his boots. "What do you think? Am I going to start shooting rainbows from my toes?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Ashara stifled a giggle at the ensuing mental image. "If you have to use your boots, just be sure to point your toes toward the bad guys," she winked. "We all know that rainbows are deadly! I think you dodged an arrow last night... You could have been knocked out cold!"

Moving along the road to the south all that could be heard was the chinking sound of platemail and gravel crunching beneath feet and hooves. It was a strange feeling. These same roads that had once been bustling with life, now lay silent and overgrown beneath the ancient trees. Shivering slightly, Ashara wondered how much blood had been spilled along this road during the Weeping War. How much more had been spilled by adventurers seeking their fortune...
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm

"Knocked out cold?!? Last night??" Elric's eyes went wide, then sparkled with a grin. "Cormamin nia ie i'noa!" <my heart weeps at the idea> He pulled her in for a quick kiss.

The heavy breathing of the nervous horses behind them was starting to unnerve the half-elf. He kept putting his hand on Kalpa's snout and he would be silent for a moment. Then the nervousness would kick in again. Once when he tried it, the horse actually took a NIP at him. Neither were the bravest beasts, and he couldn't help but wonder if they'd make it out of the city... Elric doubted it... For some reason he couldn't get the image out of his mind of the horses drawing monsters toward them. At which Kalpa would probably be eaten... and Himbar would run off into the night never seen again...

Fortunately they kept very little gear on the horses. If something DID swoop down and carry his horse off, he'd loose his bedding, some camping material, his mandolin. THAT would bother him... but the alternative was to carry it on his back into battle, and that wasn't what he'd consider 'safer' for the treasured instrument. He'd lose his spare clothes... but looking down at the troll torn shirt, he doubted he had packed enough to last him this adventure anyway!

Trees lined the street and their leaves blocked the sun. About 100 yards from the road branching something caught Elric's eye. He signaled Ashara to stop and stepped off the path to his right.

A glitter of gold under long over grown moss was revealed as Elric carefully brushed the sign free. Time had worn down the wood, but still it must have been magically preserved at one time... he looked around as if seeing the woods for the first time. Odds were good the Mythal protected from weather here... It did in Evereska!

The last two winters were bitter cold to the half-elf. Living in the elven city he'd forgotten what winter was like in the 'real' world... Last winter was colder than anyone could remember. IF this city was exposed to temperature's like THAT... then after seven centuries, nothing would be left. Least of all this wooden sign with a symbol of a harp traced in gold.

"Ba____oan Wind__er" he whispered what he could make out of the ancient sign. The sign had once been held by two chains, but one had long gone missing. There was no building, no rubble, just a sign.

"We must be getting close to things now... I don't know where this came fr....." On a whim he looked up and gasped. Twenty feet up he saw a section of the tree branch out. A perfectly smooth step which wound around the tree and led up into the branches.

"There's the answer... Tree houses..." He looked over at the sign again. "What should we do? Keep looking for the Dawnspire... or... see some of the sights on the way!" He grinned wide as he indicated the sign. "I think this person was a musician!!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Ashara's bright smile in response would have been answer enough!

There were a few houses in Evereska that were formed from the trunks of trees. Even fewer that existed in the boughs of the handful of trees that stood within the mountain city. Elric had pointed them out to her on their tours after the siege was broken, but they were never able to get close, let alone see inside! They were noble houses... Families that hardly approved of a half elf and a human poking their not-nearly-elvish-enough noses around their homes!

"I think we definitely need to seek out higher vantages where we might catch a glimpse of the Dawnspire." She grinned, bobbing her head eagerly. "This seems like an excellent place to start!"

Looking up into the enormous tree, she could see little but the brightly colored oranges and reds of the fall foliage. How beautiful it would be to live up so high in the trees looking out over such a magnificent city!

"Oh Elric..." Ashara whispered to her husband as she gazed into the canopy. "I'm going to fill so many books with pictures of this place! Really need to practice with my paints to do this kind of beauty any justice... But first," she added, "we have to get UP there!"

The first step was a doozy. Twenty feet up was slightly higher than the priestess could reach and climbing trees in platemail always proved to be problematic. Not that she wouldn't give it a go for the chance to see a seven century old elvish tree house!
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:18 pm

The half-elf wrapped her in a hug and spun her around.

Trembling with excitement he wandered around the base of the tree looking for 'anything' that would indicate a way up. He found nothing. The first step was a good twenty feet up, and he didn't even see the remains of 'broken' steps. So either the owner could fly and he didn't want any visitors, or there was something he was missing. Perhaps there was something... ladders, stairs, magic.... that had to be activated from inside... Like he locked the doors during the war or something.

Finally, he saw only one choice open to him. "Fifteen feet vertical... almost six feet tall.... " he quickly did the math in his head. "I think I can make that jump..." A shadow passed over her face at the suggestion, but before she could say anything he added, "The boots worked earlier today... and... it's not THAT far to fall..." he said with a wink.

He grabbed a coil of a rope, and looped it over his shoulder. "I'll hop up there, then lower the rope. The horses I'm sorry to say will have to stay out here!" He grinned as he eyed up his destination.

Now that it was actually time to do it, he was a little nervous. "Ok... give me a little room..." Ashara quickly backed out of what she hoped was possible miscast range. "Alright... Point toes away from loved ones... and JUMP!"

He pushed off the ground and felt that same tug of power, but once again the boots performed perfectly. As he flew through the air he missed the first grab at the step! he soared past it for a moment and as gravity started to reclaim him his hands scrambled toward the tree for purchase. Just as he thought he'd failed he felt his callused hands grip tight to the 'step', and he found himself dangling.

With a grunt of exertion, the half-elf heaved himself up and realized what a trick this was going to be. The steps were only about three feet wide with no railing and half-elf or not, it was a bit dizzy up here. Carefully attaching the rope to a thick branch he lowered the other end down to Ashara.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:20 am

A sigh of relief issued from the young woman when she saw that Elric stood 'safely' on the high step. Maybe the risk of using magic in this place wasn't as bad as she'd feared...

With Himbar and Kalpa's reins tied amongst some shrubbery, Ashara approached the dangling rope and stared up at the waiting half elf. Climbing was usually not an issue for her, but with thirty-five extra pounds of metal on your back, things became a little more tricky, not to mention if she fell off this rope, the resounding clang and clatter would probably wake every beastie for a mile around! Without any further mental deliberation, the priestess started slowly pulling herself up the rope one hand at a time.

Elric helped steady her when she finally made it to the top. Already she could feel blisters forming on her soft hands from the rope, but she'd have to attend to that later. There was so much to SEE! The steps wound gracefully around the trunk and up into the branches of the gigantic tree, and after taking a brief moment to catch her breath, they carefully started up toward the long abandoned home.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:16 am

The steps were narrow and steep with no railings or any other kind of safety devices that he could see. Nor was there any indication that there ever was! He tried to imagine what it must have been like to use things like this every day. He had a hard time picturing children running up and down something this dangerous... though when they were kids, they certainly would have tried! Maybe living amongst this type of architecture is what led the elves to be so graceful and dextrous?? Idle speculation.

The ground seemed pretty far away as they climbed and from the view the wood of the stairs almost seemed to blend with the trunk of the tree, an illusion that caused Elric to move slower and more carefully than he would have normally. The entire experience was dizzing, and he kept having to remind himself that he rode giant bees for fun! This was nothing!

As they reached the upper stairway, the first thing that was apparent was the lack of a door! Also the lack of their ever having BEEN a door! No sounds came from within the darkened room

He stood outside the door and grinned at his wife. This was it... the first of the ruins of Myth Drannor... They were IN the city now!!!

Not wanting to draw extra attention to themselves, they both had their glowing holy symbols tucked away. In situations like this Elric would scout first with his infravision, and/or play bait... But between his finely toned sense and the Sacred Guardian, they were rarely caught off guard.

He took two steps in just closed his eyes. Nothing... no scampering or growling. No creaking of the wood... and Ashara wasn't shouting a warning. Suddenly he felt a pain in his chest... The place seemed to not just be the home of a musician, but apparently a maker of instruments. Harps, lutes, and all manner of stringed instruments were scattered around. and even in the low light he could see the place was devastated. Such beautiful craftsmanship all gone...

"It's safe!" he called out with a choked voice.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm

There was a time when Ashara would have had a much more difficult time climbing so high into this tree on such precarious steps, but between the giant bees and flaming chariots, she'd pretty much beaten any fear of heights. Still, as they scaled the steep incline, she didn't look down. One foot in front of the other...

Relieved when they finally reached the doorway of the elevated dwelling, she glanced about the structure as Elric took a cursory peek inside. It was a two story building, which looked from the outside as if it was one room stacked atop another. Even after all these generations, the graceful whorls and designs that adorned the walls could still be seen. Perhaps not as crisp as they had been intended to appear, but the artistry did not go unnoticed by the priestess who had such an appreciation of such things. Even in its rustic simplicity, the beauty this tree house rivaled the grandiose elegance of the larger noble houses she'd seen in Evereska! She could only imagine what the noble houses of Myth Drannor might be like...

"It's safe!"

The emotion in her dear husband's voice put Ashara even more on edge, and she braced herself as she stepped into the darkened room, concerned about what he might have seen within.

She'd intended on pulling out her holy symbol to use as illumination. Intended to... As soon as she passed into the darkness and glanced around, she gasped loudly! Elric stood about five feet in front of her and he was suddenly glowing in radiant orange and yellow light! But he wasn't reacting to what could only have been some sort of foreign magic! Couldn't he see it?! Or feel it?! It was as if the light was emanating from inside... Startled, Ashara reached out to him, but when her arm entered her vision she saw that it too was glowing!

Then the memories came back. Elric's memories jumped to the forefront of her thoughts, and she remembered those times when they were children and he'd cheat at hide and seek by finding her in the darkness using his infravision. She remembered his experiences as a youth in Evereska. During that Midwinter Memory Read, Ashara had watched more than a few of his memories in the heat spectrum! But these were her eyes!!

Ashara laughed. She rubbed her eyes and after blinking a few times upon opening them, laughed again.

"Elric, I can see you! I'm not sure how, but I think I have infravision!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 pm

He had been examining an ancient harp worn through with age. Plucking a few of the strings he realized the notes were still pure and clear. The small glimmer of hope that it could be saved was dashed as the string snapped under his finger. As he heard Ashara approach he replaced the ruined instrument with a mournful heart.

"So much lost... Wait.. What did you say?!?" It took him a moment to register her words. He looked carefully at her. Sure enough on her face, warm and flushed from the climb and/or the excitement. her normally hazel eyes were glowing a more orangish red. Just like his did... "How... "

He reached inside his shirt and pulled out the Holy Symbol bathing the room in light. They both blinked a couple of times as their eyes shifted back to normal vision. Sure enough, back to hazel... Putting out the light again, they switched back to infravision as quickly as his own did.

The half-elf shook his head for a moment. He could tell she was happy and she was excited.. but he was a bit concerned. Strange spells or abilities one couldn't explain... did not put him to ease.

When had it happened? She didn't say anything last night... The pre-dawn light would have prevented it's discovery this morning... Something with the trolls? Maybe everyone could see with Infravision under the mythal... Though that would be VERY generous of the elves. He didn't know anything... just concerns. Maybe it was a gift...

"What do think caused it?? Spell miscast? Did you cast anything against the trolls? That whisper?? The Mythal? Maybe a gift from Sune... " he added with a laugh of his own. "How far can you see?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 pm

"I...I'm not sure what's causing this, Melamin," she grinned, holding up her hand to see the warm veins that ran beneath the skin. "The Whisper before the troll fight actually worked, and I don't remember any spells taking hold of me. Perhaps you're right and it is the Mythal somehow, though that thought makes me a bit nervous... If the Mythal is responsible, than in what other ways might we be altered while we're here?!"

Ashara's mouth turned up into a mischievous smile, her eyes burning brightly in the heat spectrum as she looked up at her husband. "It might be a gift I suppose," she purred, "but after last night, any gift that Sune might have seen fit to hand out would most assuredly have been given to you!"

Chuckling, she turned to scan the room with her new set of eyes, and it was then that she realized what had sparked Elric's melancholy. An unplayed instrument held such hope and the promise of beautiful music yet to be heard, and here scattered about the floor they lay in slowly decaying pieces. Whomever had carved these works had done so with so much love and care... It was heartbreaking to see! After a war and seven generations of monsters and adventurers wandering the streets, Ashara wondered if they would find anything but destruction in this place!

"Seems like I can see about ten feet away," she answered in a more subdued tone. At the edge of that ten feet, she could just make out the neck of a beautiful mandolin.

The priestess walked over and knelt down next to it, carefully lifting the instrument into her hands. A large crack ran down its face, and two of the strings had begun to fray. She had a spell that could mend such damage, but the problem wasn't caused by carelessness but the slow degradation that came with time itself. Restoration magic alone wouldn't be enough to put the mandolin back together again. Turning it over, Ashara could see the craftsman's mark on the back and she held it up for Elric to see.

"Baelemoan Windriver," she whispered softly. "The name would fit the sign you found outside... He was obviously a master craftsman."

Out of the corner of her new vision, Ashara saw a staircase leading up to the second floor...
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Elric watched her in amazement. Infravision was something that he'd always had. He'd never imagined what it would be like to 'just get it' one day... Seeing her enjoying her new gift stirred up old memories. Memories of his father trying to explain to the young child why he could see in the dark when nobody else could... Trying to explain something that he, himself never experienced. When his father talked about his heritage, he always felt 'special' as opposed to 'different'. Few people had ever made him feel that way.

"I don't recognize the name... " he said simply. "But his skill was undeniable, I've never seen anything like these."

He offered her a hand as she gently replaced the instrument. "What's it like melamin? To see the world in such a new way?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 pm

"A little exciting... I confess I've always been a bit envious of your ability, even more so since I'd gotten a taste of it during the Memory Read," she admitted while watching the residual heat of her hand fade from the broken mandolin. "I'm sure this gift isn't a permanent one, but I think I'll enjoy it while it lasts! It's a shame I probably won't get the chance to chase you through the fields of Impresk in the dead of night... It would be a lot easier with this!"

Pulling the Rod of Curing from the haversack, Ashara couldn't help but chuckle at the memories. Suddenly the silly games they'd play as children took on a whole new perspective!

"I guess it would be fun until you managed to get ten feet away, then you'd probably just run around outside of my vision taunting me! You were always such a cheat," she teased.

The young woman laughed and kissed Elric's glowing orange hand, watching as the impression of her lips faded from his skin. "Okay," she sighed, "this could be dangerously distracting! Before I completely lose my focus, let's see if we can't find anything salvageable in this mess and then maybe head upstairs to see the view!"

Using the borrowed weirwood Rod that would cause magical items to emit a glow, Ashara began searching around looking for anything that seemed to hold up to the ages better than it should have.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Elric laughed heartily. "Times change my dear... Getting caught is a lot more fun now..." He sighed dramatically. "But your right... first things first... we have a LOT of city to cover and should 'probably' avoid distractions." She saw the heat in his face crinkle into a pout, then turn a hotter red as he promised with a grin. "Later... when things are safer... and if you can still see the heat... I can think of a few tricks you'll find VERY interesting!"

The first floor of the simple dwelling seemed to have been the shop where the master craftsman both made and sold his craft. Nothing of value seemed to remain. Whether his craft took so long to create that these few instruments were all that he'd completed, or because they weren't the first adventurers here, they had no way of knowing.

The second floor was a little more fruitful. This level appeared to be where the man lived. Dust and decay were scattered about. There was a stench in the air, as if an animal had used the place for a den at one time or another. Fortunately nothing was at home now. The room was always sparsely furnished and even up here there were no doors, and no windows. In Evereska it wasn't unheard of to use magic instead of glass... something to keep the bugs out, but let the breeze in.

If that was case here, then the magic was long expired. Rain and wind had devastated the tree home. Any papers or information detailing who this Baelemoan Windriver was seemed to be lost to the ages.

They had nearly given up when Elric noticed something askew about the bed. Though nearly hidden in the lines of the wood, the half-elf noticed the wood pattern not matching as it should. With a shove he was able to move the simple bed a few feet. There hidden amongst the floor was a hidden latch. A simple push popped it out, thankfully without setting any traps. Ashara had the ability to sense traps... but only for a while. Without confidence in spells or a pixie they were just going to have be careful. There in the hidden cache was revealed more about Windriver than any papers could have.

"Ashara! Come here... I've found something..." A quick touch of Vailiis' rod ignited the contents in a blue flame. Elric grinned up at her, and with a slight grimace reached into the illusory flame to remove the contents.

Inside was a harp. Even without the Wierwood rod, Elric would have assumed it was magical. Marvelous craftsmanship and untouched by age. When he plucked a string the tone was perfect. He didn't even play the harp, and his heart raced at this treasure. What powers the harp had he didn't know... but the music of Myth Drannor was legendary amongst the bards. Magical harps were said to be commonplace, but Elric refused to think anything that beautiful as 'common.'

Next he found something he HAD seen before, Pins made of silver, but polished to Everbright. Shaped into the form of a crescent moon and harp inside four stars. The badges of the Harpers! Eddick had revealed the pin once or twice to them, and Gwilly claimed to have one as well. He didn't know what they did, but they obviously did something... The blue flame fairly danced amongst the pins. He tried to think if Eddick had ever revealed any powers about them.... but the druid was fairly secretive about his abilities. He was also secretive about the Harpers. He remembered how annoyed Ashara and he had been when they were asked to keep his involvement from Therogeon... It made for some awkward conversations.

He knew the Harpers had been around for a while, but he didn't realize they'd been around THIS long!! What group or organization had THAT kind of longevity? Apparently Baelemoan was a harper... In charge or recruiting other Harpers... Or killing them?!? The pins could be trophies... but as a Harp-maker it made more sense for him to be a part of the organization...

Next a dainty bracelet made of some silvery metal with gold filigree and dangling charms. This... could be anything he was fairly certain. It was beautiful craftsmanship, but obviously a different hand than the craftsmanship of the harps below... Also magical.

The final item inside the cache was 'not' magical... but still valuable, and beautiful. A sickle with a silver plated steel blade and a gold plated handle. The handle was worked to look like a many leafed branch of a tree.

"I bet your father never saw a sickle like this... " he grinned as he presented the weapon to Ashara. "Seems functional, and sharp... but somehow I don't think he'd see it as 'practical.'"

He held up the pins and the bracelet. "What do you think we should do with this stuff... Store it away for later, or actually try some it?" He looked at her with uncertainty. It was a general rule amongst adventurers that you NEVER try unidentified magic... But another rule was that an adventurer should use any advantage you could get... and you don't always have a mage around... "Harpers are pretty secretive, I'm not sure what would happen if someone outside the club tried one on... but the bracelet is pretty."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 pm

Ashara brushed her finger along the delicate charms depicting the phases of the moon, which dangled alluringly from the bracelet. "Very pretty," she agreed, though her eye lingered longest on the beautiful harp she desperately hoped Elric would try his hand at this evening. "Maybe tonight I could risk a Detect Evil on anything we find... Cursed items usually radiate a bit of evil magic, and while I doubt that these particular items would be dangerous, I think I'd feel better with a little added assurance.

"As for the Harper pins, I'm sure Eddick and Gwilly would be pleased to have them returned to the collective! I just wouldn't feel right about wearing one..."

The priestess' gaze returned to the magnificent sickle that Elric had handed to her. She was reminded of the druid moot the Champions attended before the Battle of the Broken Eclipse... There were a few interesting discussions with some of the friendlier druids and she actually remembered one of them carrying a silver sickle at his side. "I think... after seeing this," she said, holding up the ceremonial harvesting tool, "that Baelemoan was possibly a druid. Many forest druids use a silvered sickle to collect mistletoe beneath a full moon. They use the plant as their holy symbol."

Ashara smiled as they tucked the items into the haversack for later. "And you're right, Daddy just wouldn't see the practicality in this and Momma would feel obligated to polish it every day until it gleamed!" A small sigh escaped her lips at the thoughts of her parents. She hadn't seen them since the Champions left to help with the siege in Evereska nearly nine months ago now, and she found that the mention of the Rosemorns made her slightly homesick. Not that she would have traded being in Myth Drannor for anywhere else in the world right now, but maybe...when they were finished here and after another visit to Evereska...maybe they could spend a little time back home in Impresk...

She shook off the wistful expression and standing, slung the pack over her shoulder and moved over to one of the open windows. To the south, all she could see were huge ancient trees ablaze with beautiful autumn colors, but to the west it was a bit more open. In the distance, broken towers stretched up into the sky. All of them seemed in such disrepair though, she doubted that any of those she could see was the Dawnspire.

"Well," Ashara sighed in mock disappointment, "I guess we're going to have to find another vantage to see if we can't catch a glimpse of the temple!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:11 pm

"Detect Evil... " Elric helped load their new items into the Haversack with a smile. "I like that... Excellent plan! It's one thing if we don't know how to work something... but as long we're sure it won't kill us... Opens up some opportunities!"

A druid, and a Harper?? Yeah, He was looking forward to telling Eddick about this guy... Well, what little they knew anyways. Druid would explain the animal smell and the lack of doors or windows... Perhaps he wanted to be closer to nature... and after he left or died, nature wanted to be close to him? He shook the thoughts out of his head and grinned. His imagination was going wild again.

Leaving was decidedly easier than climbing up. After Ashara climbed down, Elric readjusted the rope for quick release and met her on the ground. The horses seemed skittish, but what else was new...

Bulbous eyes glared hatefully at the couple. Long claws gripped the rubble they hid behind in eager anticipation. The leader of the patrol licked his lips. He had almost ordered the abandoned horses eaten... an ohhh how he looked forward to tearing into fresh meat... But no. The horses hadn't been there long. Whoever had left them may be coming back... and he was right! Now even TASTIER morsels were walking right toward them!!

They continued down the gold-white path for a few more yards, before the road became intermingled with a blue-black gravel. To the left they saw a tower. One of the first 'ground' dwellings they came across. It was crumbling before their very eyes, the door, seemed completly blocked with rubble. Though if they wanted too... he MIGHT be able to get to an upper window.

"What do you think? Keep moving or check this one out next?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Himbar was beyond annoyed that he'd just been abandoned like that while the pair went gallavanting up into the tree. He snorted frequently at the priestess and shoved her in the back when they stopped just across from the ruined tower.

"Nauvalle sal', Gorgaer <You will be still, Fearful One," she whispered firmly at the anxious horse, "ri' utua lle naien core imya i'tal yassen eleer fane <or find yourself being led through the city blindfolded>!"

Ashara stroked Himbar's muzzle for a moment before turning to her husband.

"I don't know," she replied after looking over the building before them. "This tower looks like it might not be structurally sound, and it's way too early in the day to be crushed by rubble! Maybe we should press on a bit further..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Elric grinned as she chastised her horse. He was a jittery thing, definitely not cut out for life as an adventurer. Made him miss old Clyatus back home... but between random Wind Walks and the occasional Flaming Chariot, Clyatus didn't go anywhere that they didn't know they were coming back too... Still at least they got a decent deal on these two horses, and they had made it from the Spine of the World. Not much more you could rightly ask of a horse.

"Very well, I suppose it's unrealistic to hit every structure still standing. That would take years... We'll only hit the ones that seem extra interesting! This one... seems more trouble than it's worth right now"

Elric barely finished speaking when they were each hit with visions of danger. Huge monsters, half again as tall as Elric, looking most like giant frogs. Blunt but powerful teeth and with long claws and spines running down the length of their spine.

The three Hezrou leapt over the horses hoping to catch the humanoids by surprise, and failing. The Everdawns were already braced for attack, and Elric's sword was greeting the first monster as it landed. The first blow struck true and he slid his blade into the rubbery amphibous skin almost to the handle. Waves of the sickest disgusting stench rolled off the frogish monsters and as his eyes watered he felt the urge to vomit. He focused his mind and continued swinging his weapon.

The horses stomped and snorted in panic and as Elric swung wildly at the monster it casually ducked and dodged. Something THAT big, moving THAT fast caught the half-elf off guard.

The demon wasn't expecting his meal to be so ready, but it mattered not to the creature. It kept trying to attack the one that hurt it so badly, while it's two companions attacked the armored female.

As Elric parried and dodged the claws another vision flashed from behind him. Claws pounding uselessly on Ashara's shield as a second frog demon attacked. Claws screeched on armor and the demon wrapped his wife into a massive crushing hug!

Leaping back from his own opponent the warrior spun in midair and changed targets. With a cry of anger, he screamed "KIL'RAL!!" Power flooded through him as he focused all his rage on the creature trying to crush Ashara. His sword slashed at the offending arms and by the third slash it dropped it's prize. Claws and teeth were slashing at them, but the protective half-elf was able to keep the danger at bay.

He didn't know how long he could keep it up though. The claws were starting to get overwhelming. One claw raked in and Elric nearly severed it, but he couldn't stop everything. A vision of Ashara regaining her feet only to be greeted with a massive mouth latching on. Metal screeched as it frantically tried to chew threw the dwarf crafted mithral, but the dwarves know their craft well. Any damage was minimal and angry cries of frustration resounded in their heads as the Hezrou screamed telepathically.

Autumn 1372  - Page 8 Hezrou10
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Spittle flew wildly as the behemoth jerked her side to side with almost her entire arm, from forearm to shoulder, in its mouth. Another wave of nausea assaulted the priestess at the scent of its gaping maw, but desperation to be free of the thing overrode any sickness she might have felt.

They were so big! Arms wider than she was at the shoulder, ended in huge grappling claws that she'd just had the misfortune of getting wrapped up by. She could still hear Elric close by. Somewhere behind her she could hear his exertion as he lept and slashed at the creatures, and she took comfort in the knowledge that the chaotic visions she was receiving didn't once show him being injured.

Teeth began crushing through the mithril chain between the plates. Ashara screamed with the telepathic chorus as the thing thrashed about, but she kept her wits about her long enough to bring Dawnspeaker around. It had chosen the wrong arm.

"GET..." The holy mace smashed hard into the beasts bony head, startling it with the force. "OFF!" The second blow, struck with enough divine power that Ashara realized the thing had to be from the lower planes. Dawnspeaker doesn't like demons... And THIS demon wasn't a fan of Dawnspeaker!

Reeling, the thing let go of her arm and backed off quickly enough that her third swing with the mace flew wide. That was fine with her. At least it was off her arm!

Just in time too, as the demon that had hugged her so closely only moments before came at her again, this time with both arms dripping black ichor from her husband's assault. It must have been surprised that its companion dropped the meal. Ashara easily dodged to the side, using her shield to block one of the massive hands that came too close for comfort, and then readied herself as both of the frog demons charged forward in a rage.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 pm

The biggest of the three, the one Elric started on was in pain. More pain than it remembered since leaving the abyss... It also had a disturbing feeling it may be returning soon. For all it's life it flailed wildly at the half-elf, but it wasn't getting close. Each time it swung his reluctant meal dodged the strike and stuck him with that enchanted steel. He could feel himself slowing, and then he felt nothing.

Before the large frog monster had even hit the ground Elric spun a kick at one attacking Ashara to no effect. Magic boots or not, they just didn't have the oomph need to harm them.

Claws on armor, steel on flesh, sounds of battle drifted through the air. Long dead eyes looked over the scene. Two humans, fighting back three Hezrou.... 'Interesting' was all that the creature could think. Battles like that were rare in these parts, but not unheard of. Rarely did they go so well for the humans...

Demons he had less use for, Humans with weapons that hurt them? That held potential... Silently commands were sent forth. Soon he'd see what he could see...
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Four huge paws batted down at the priestess in succession as the demons lunged at her with teeth bared. The one that had been chewing on her, struck low, one of its claws wrapping around to puncture the mithril chain at the back of her leg. Fortunately Ashara was able to spin away before it could grab her and Elric's kick was just enough to throw the second claw off the mark. The other demon though, deciding to opt for crushing instead of clawing, hit her hard with its fist, smashing into her mithril breastplate and driving the air from her lungs.

She was beginning to feel like a rag doll... Elric was there now though and she could already feel her wounds and bruises mending from the Regenerative Heal. Praise Lathander for that!

Determined to crush the life out of one of these things before it did so with her, Ashara swung with Dawnspeaker, driving it hard into the first demon's chest who screeched all the more loudly into her mind. He was hurting, but not quite enough... Before she could connect with the strike that could possibly end it, the second monstrosity caught her weapon arm ruthlessly between its smashing jaws, ending all hope for finishing her swing.

A grunt of pain was all the reward she would allow the creature, as she felt a distinct pop in her shoulder after being jerked roughly to the side.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 8 Empty Re: Autumn 1372

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next