The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Autumn 1372  - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Autumn 1372

3 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 19 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 pm

"That was...exhilarating," she beamed hugging Elric tightly before pulling on her suit of chain. "Leaving your burdens behind, so there's nothing between you and the Dawn... The Seekers are onto something here I think!

"Would you mind helping me buckle on these plates for a second time this morning?" Ashara laughed and started on the second pile of metal. "Next time I'll know not to worry about the armor until after Dawn. Oh, and if you ever breathe a word of this to my father," she grinned, pushing a few strands of hair back behind his pointed ear, " I'll tell him you put me up to it!"

While being strapped back into her mithril shell, Ashara watched as the three other scouting parties began to gather together in the courtyard. Not all of them were Seekers. The Abbess and Kaldric had employed other adventuring groups, allied priests, visiting wizards...persons of skill who used the Dawnspire as a safe haven, and had likely been saved by her clergy at one time or another.

The Fingers were enthusiastically sending off these groups of potential saviors...the men folk specifically, she noted with some amusement. Flirtatious touches, giggles, winks... The three girls enjoyed their game, and judging from the reactions they received and the lingering gazes from the men after they moved on, it was obvious they were good at it. It made Ashara wonder how old they really were...

She paid them no mind. Apart from a few appreciative glances in the half elf's direction, which they could hardly be blamed for, the trio had thus far left the Everdawns alone. Largely because Ashara rarely left her husband's side!

Kaldric wasn't anywhere to be found in the slowly dispersing assembly. He was probably still working diligently at his laboratory. The thought evoked memories of Therogeon hard at work on creating those new spells in Calimport, when he was so involved in his studies that he had to be brought food and actually told when he needed to sleep. Mages were a dedicated lot for certain!

Once properly clothed and their gear was gathered, the Everdawns were about to head out to find Master Hueart when Ashara noticed the Fingers out of the corner of her eye. Plotting by the look of it. Trying to decide which of them would take the lead on this one. Apparently the girls were loathe to let Elric out of the gates without at least trying to involve him in their little games.

"Just a moment, Melamin." Ashara smiled and squeezed the half elf's arm, then left him standing there while she altered her path to directly intercept the incoming trouble. While she hardly felt threatened by the flirtatious women, that did not mean she was going to stand by and watch them test their wiles on her husband! Sometimes boundaries just needed to be designated.

Clad in (mostly) shining mithril and hand resting comfortably on the end of Dawnspeaker's haft, Ashara strode confidently up to the women whose mischievous whispers fell suddenly silent when they saw her approach.

"Good dawn to you, sisters," she offered pleasantly with a smile that never quite reached her eyes. "I see that you're having some difficulty deciding how best to deliver your well-wishes to the dashing half elf over there, so I've come to lend my assistance."

The braided priestess leveled a glare that closely resembled that of the displacer tiger they'd fought in Esa El'Hadar's tomb. "I'll be passing along those hearty goodbyes for you..."

As quickly as it had come, the harsh expression melted from her features and she smiled brightly at the trio. "Shandel, I assume?" she asked, nodding her head to the eldest of the three young women. "I've heard you have some good skill with a mace... When the issues here have been resolved, I would very much enjoy working with you to learn some techniques which you've no doubt picked up in your time among the Seekers.

"I usually work with my husband you see," Ashara explained, motioning to Elric while tossing him a covert wink over her shoulder, "and while he's a warrior of undeniable skill in many weapons, most especially his hands, he isn't quite as familiar with the mace and shield. So!" Ashara clapped her hands together once and grinned with excitement. "I'll let you think on it and after we return and all is as it should be, if I see you approaching, I'll assume you've taking me up on my offer for sparring! It would be a real treat!"

The four women said their goodbyes and safe journeys, and Ashara returned to the half elf's side leaving the Fingers twiddling behind her.

"They say good luck," she grinned up at him, leaving out large gaps in what was obviously a much longer and more animated discussion. "Let's go find Kaldric then so we can be on our way! I'm in the mood for some smiting..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 19 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:41 am

Elric raised an eyebrow in question, but seeing no answers forthcoming let it go. The crowd was dispersing quickly with most heading back inside for a quick breakfast before the day truly started.

Elric was about to suggest they look for their missing mage there, when he noticed a frantic looking man rush over to the Abbess and say something in low but excited tones. He appeared to be in his late fifties, though still in excellent health. Though he didn't seem to wear a beard normally... it also appeared he didn't shave on a regular basis. Dressed simply he still had enough pouches scattered about him to suggest they were looking at another mage.

Subtly he nodded towards the mysterious meeting. "I wonder what's going on over there? Sounds important."

Before Ashara could respond a familiar voice behind them answered. "That's Halamor. One our more permanent mageish types who live here." Jorelon, was standing behind them, dressed for the road with a dark dull colored mace at his side.

The name sparked recognition in the eyes of the half-elf. "Halamor? I think that the Abbess said he was the one identifying our stuff?"

The young priest nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, that would make sense. For all his knowledge, Halamor isn't the 'adventuring' type. With Kaldric draining the temple of usable wizards, I can understand Hal' filling that role."

Elric's heart sped up a bit as he looked back at the excited conversation. "Looks like he found something interesting..." Shaking his head he pushed the thoughts out of his head. They were heading towards dead magic... whatever magical treasure they found can wait till later.

"What of you Jorelon?" he asked pleasantly. "What does your day hold? More giant bugs?"

The priest grinned from ear to ear. "NOPE! Can't take fluffy with me today... We generally use spells to control them... and once we hit that dead magic zone... it could be more problems then it's worth!" Seeing the look of surprise on Elric's face just made him grin even wider.

"That's right! I'm going with you guys!"

"It's going to be pretty dangerous..." Elric said once the shock wore off.

"From what I understand, too dangerous for us to let Kaldric go in with just the two of you to protect him... So the Abbess wanted to send a couple more who knew their way around a weapon or two to help.

"I volunteered!"

"And, I did not..." Came a gruff voice behind them. Turning they saw the dwarf that had met them at the gate. Durlan if they remembered correctly. "I was asked to see if'n I could get ye all back in one piece. Ehhh... It's time I got outside for a bit anyway."

Elric scanned the dwarf over quickly. The axe he had, seemed to be made of shining silver. Nodding at the weapon he asked, 'Mithril?"

"Aye, same as yer lady's armor there.. Magic or no, this should cut down most of what we come across!" Noting the tone of confidence there, Elric simply nodded and looked to Jorelon.

"Starmetal." he said simply tapping the head of the mace. "Also problematic to creatures even if the magic fails. We're about as well armed as one could be for this little jaunt."

Elric shook his head and grinned. The kid seemed a little over-eager... but then he probably wasn't quite as young as he looked. Regardless, these two had to have a better idea of the threats of the area, than he did... and their confidence was infectious.

"Well... if your sure you want to come, We'll be glad to have you along!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:18 pm

"Agreed!" Ashara smiled brightly at both man and dwarf. "Glad for the company as well as the added muscle. I've no doubt we could use it out there!"

She shook off the twinge of concern that perhaps the Abbess wasn't completely trusting of their abilities. Alaecathra knew these ruins and the evil denizens in it as well as anyone else in the realms and not to mention all their lives were at stake here! It was understandable that she'd want to take extra precautions especially while wading into a dead magic zone where priests and mages may not be as useful.

The young priestess very much wanted to prove herself to the Seekers of the Dawn. She wanted to prove that all the stories she told last night about the Champions' exploits were more than just stories!

The looks of doubt in many of their eyes was unmistakable, but yet Dawnspeaker hung there at her hip! Some of it had to be true... How much was fact and how much was...embellished? Ashara had no illusions that they would take such fantastical tales simply at the word of a twenty-two year old priestess and a nearly twenty-three year old half elf!

Very nearly... It was the 25th of Uktar, five days before Elric's birthday! Ashara grinned at the idea of celebrating here in Myth Drannor. Now all they had to do was find who or what or why the dead magic zone was growing toward the Dawnspire, stop it, or in the worst case scenario, if it couldn't be stopped immediately, help the Seekers relocate to buy a bit of time. Five days? Pretty optimistic it was true, but if you don't feel good about a plan going in then it's doomed to fail!

After last night's session with the Endless Dawn and this morning's...revealing Dawnsmeet, Ashara was feeling quite good about things indeed!

"Looks like you're both packed and ready," she nodded to the newest members of the Seekers' Survival Squad #1. "Either of you happen to see Kaldric this morning?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 19 Empty Kaldric

Post  The Sub-Creator Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:44 am

"They have not," the Sevenfold Veil Initiate informed the priest as he progressed across the courtyard toward the small party. He wore a belt and bandoleer with a wide variety of vials, three wands, and a dagger, though his customary golden sash slithered around the belt for more ornamental flavoring. His right hand grasped firmly his favorite walking staff, while in his left were a pair of satchels. "I wouldn't dare to believe the Prior places so much worth on my head," he said, looking to the cleric and dwarf with a feigned shock. "He must fear for the lives of our guests on their first excursion into the fabled City of Song!

"And how can I blame him for sharing mine own twinges of discomfort at such a thought?" Kaldric lifted the satchels and extended them to the newcomers. "So I decided to pack you a little something that may be of some use for you when in the thick of things out there. They're clearly labeled for ease of use---all you need do is grab and throw."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:08 am

Elric looked in the satchel at the various vials stored within. He was glad this mage labeled things, he hated random unmarked bottles... A little pet peeve of his and seemed so illogical considering the organization required to be a mage...

Though labeled these ones concerned him a bit more. Cold, Acid, Fire, and of course Lightning. No fancy names just the basics. Very nice. Still... Dangerous for those not well versed in their uses. He'd probably end up slipping his to Ashara. The idea of wading into the thick of a fight with 'Lightning' strapped to his back didn't particularly appeal to him! And while Ashara wouldn't be able to hurl spells into the combat... perhaps these may keep her in a more comfortable role.

"Our Thanks, Kaldric and a good morning to you!" he said cheerfully. The Abbess and Halamor were still speaking, the mage looking more excited then ever and the Abbess continued to steal glances their way. It didn't take much intuition to suspect something was up.

"I think you underestimate the Prior's concern..." the half-elf said keeping at least one eye looking past Kaldric at the Abbess. "As this plan seems to hinge on you and your 'wife', I think we're around to keep 'you' safe!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:32 pm

"He's a fine man, our good Prior," the mage stated. "Stern and steadfast in his faith, it cannot be denied. That said, I'll not refute your observation on the grounds that it's unimportant to our eventual successful outcome."

Kaldric acknowledged the cleric and dwarf with a smiling nod. "Gentlemen. I should have anticipated they'd send additional bodies into the Abyss with us, though even if I had there wouldn't have been enough time for me to stock you up. I guess we'll all have to share."

Recognizing the half-elf's keen interest on a conversation happening behind him, Kaldric peeked back over his shoulder. "Ah, Halamor. Something has the old boy excited. It looks to be a happy excitement, so he's obviously not upset I didn't put him on my lists. He must have accomplished some breakthrough from a recently recovered artifact, or such would be my bet."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Elric looked to Ashara unable to hide his giddiness. While not particularly 'materialistic' the idea that some treasure they'd found would cause this kind of interest, excited him. He was about to admit to their new friends that Halamor was researching their own gear when the white robed abbess broke the conversation and strode determinedly toward them.

"Abbess." he bowed in greeting.

"Good morning to you all," she replied somewhat distractedly though her own eyes glinted with excitement. Turning to Ashara she smiled wide. "I'm pleased you joined us this morning, not all visitors do.

"I see you are ready to set out, but there is something that has recently been brought to my attention, I'll require a few moments of your time first."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Still invigorated by her Dawnsmeet experience, Ashara returned the elder priestess' smile tenfold. She had no idea what they might have found earlier that could aid them now within the dead magic zone, but Alaecathra didn't seem the type to pull them aside frivolously. Could Halamor have discovered a clue that might help save the Dawnspire? From the sparkle in Abbess' eyes...whatever it was, it was good news!

"Of course, Abbess," she stated simply, with a deep bow.

Ashara shot a grin of eager anticipation at her husband as they were all led off toward the tower and into Alaecathra's study.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:06 am

The Abbess' office was a tight fit for all five of the adventurers, and while not exactly comfortable, there was room for everyone. The Abbess took her normal seat and just looked at the newcomers with barely contained glee.

"I told you once, that I felt your coming was an answer to my prayers. I'm more convinced of it now than ever." she grinned at the half-elf's obvious discomfort at the extra attention and continued. "What I don't know, is 'how' you are to bring 'Hope' back to the Dawnspire.

"At first, I thought Kaldric's plan was the glimmer I saw, and I still believe in his mission!" she quickly covered before any offense may be taken. "This plan to learn about... or from, the mythal itself would be very useful to all of us! If you can aid him in this, you'll have our eternal gratitude..."

The half-elf knew there was something more coming, he could feel it like electricity in the air. He wasn't disappointed as she continued.

"Halamor has made some headway on your assorted treasure, There is still more to do, but research alone can often reveal secrets without the time consuming use of magic. For Example...." She said as she reached into a large bag and produced the dull purple mace they had found in the home of the Clanstones Fistcarats. "Sometimes, a simple maker's mark will reveal what you need to know. This is after all a city of legends..."

She spun the mace around. It had been cleaned and polished since last he'd seen it and there at the base of the handle was the gleaming white four-pointed star over the black anvil. Durlan let out a low whistle. "Ironstar..." he whispered.

"Indeed, " the Abbess confirmed. "For those less familiar, The Ironstar clan was renowned for their battle prowess before the Fallen Kingdoms passed away. They may or may not be extinct by now. Hard to say with dwarves." A comment that drew a mirthful snort from the dwarf in their company.

"Regardless of the clan's current status, their weapons are still around and every once in a while will turn up. A valuable tool to say the least. Ironstar Maces are rumored to be able to shatter armor with a single strike. Highly prized amongst fighters, priests, and collector's everywhere."

She produced the three large crystals they found in the same place. "These are also obvious, though equally rare, and possibly even more valuable. They are called 'Glowstones'. The secret to their construction lied with the dwarves who fashioned them. It's long been a mystery how or why a race with so little... 'need' for magic would create them, but during the high days of Myth Drannor they were well sought after and many a mage would do anything to get one.

"And you've found three..."

"What are they though?" Elric's curiosity caused him to interrupt. Alaecathra simply smiled.

"I'm not sure how much experience you have with magical items, but some items... require charges..." Seeing Elric nod his head she breathed a sigh of relief. She had more to say and didn't want to get into magical theory today.

"We had a Staff of Lightning that I used for some time..."

"Did it burn up? Or did you recharge it?"

Elric's eyes lit up as he remembered the awesome spectacle of Ashara and Therogeon doing all they could to tear lightning from the sky and shove it back into the Staff. One of many things he'd never forget. "We recharged it." he said simply.

"That's where glowstones come in. They attach themselves to magical items, and they use the stored magic inside them to replenish the charges on magical items. On average I believe it's about one charge for every ten minutes. Some items have a set amount of times they can do something... When attached to a glowstone, they can do that an extra time... When new, they were said to have a thousand charges inside them... but nobody finds new ones anymore. It will take further study to determine how much power these stones have."

Elric was stunned. He had never even heard of these things, yet could vividly picture Therogeon melting into puddle of joy when told about them... At least what they took... Something this powerful would probably help the Seekers a lot more then it would the Champions... He'd remembered hearing about how the prices for the Seekers help was usually measured in donations. They hadn't mentioned anything like that to the 'Wielder of Dawnspeaker'... but he suspected they didn't need to. If he knew his wife, he was sure 'some' of their treasure would be helping the Morninglord's cause, and they'd still with them enough memorabilia to make the journey worth taking. Not even counting the 'Everdawn Blade.' If that was the only treasure they left with, he knew they'd both be happy. What really surprised him, was that Alaecathra wasn't done yet! He would have expected the glowstones to be the big reveal.

Without a word she produced the adamantite rerebrace. "Do you realize what this is?" she asked cautiously but with eyes that danced in the light. "This may be the answer tho our prayers... Either alone, or in addition to Master Hueart's plan."

Seeing confusion on the faces before her, she elaborated. "As Kaldric can undoubtedly tell you, Myth Drannor once held some of the most powerful magics in the realms. Some were taken, some were lost... and some... some were hidden!

"There are numerous things we would like to draft into the service of the Morninglord. None so much as a 'Power Arm."

Elric raised his eyebrows and crinkled his nose a bit.

"You don't approve?"

His ears started to blush as he realized he'd been seen. "Ohh No, umm... I'm sure, it's a wonderful thing... I just... Power Arm?! I kind of expected a better name from the 'City of Song."

She smirked at that and continued. "There are no known 'Power Arms' left in circulation. They were quite simply too powerful. Anyone walking and using even a part of the arm could well have kingdoms rising against them for control of it. It's a game changer for certain. There are many who would do anything to get their hands on them. We've seen both the Zentarim and the Cult of the Dragon looking. Fortunately they've had no better luck than we. For a time, I was afraid it was locked in the Vault of Ages, with all the other greatest Elven treasures... Lost forever it would seem.

"This is what we know of 'this' one. The 'Arm of Valor." She said looking toward Elric for approval. He raised his eyebrows and nodded in appreciation of the better name.

"The arms were made in secret by a powerful cabal of wizards. Collectively they used a symbol of a bird. A bird with four pointed stars for wings. We've seen traces of it over the years, but never enough to even know what they called themselves...

"The arms were made to defend the city, but long before the weeping war came, the wizards realized how much power the arm held. So it was broken up and hidden, safe for when it would be needed most.

"As time passed, Some of the wizards died... some left for the planes, others simply across Faerun. However it is rumored one was still here when the city fell. He gave him one piece of the armor that would help him find the rest. That servant took the piece and was never seen again. The city did not recieve the help it needed, and the rest is history."

Elric drank in the story as events spun through his mind. "We found that... on a body that seemed to be ancient. Do you suppose it was the servant?"

"I do."

"Sooo... he wasn't a traitor..." he looked towards Ashara sadly. "He simply failed. The body we found was buried under some rubble from a building near here." His eyes lit up suddenly. "What about the note?!"

The Abbess slid two pieces of paper across the desk. One was the familiar bird sigil and the message written in Thorass. The other, appeared to be it's translation.

None worthy, so hidden let it be. If the city stands in peril, look: Where wind is worshipped. Where song lives. Where six are one. Where love is worship.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Ashara sat in stunned silence, her mouth slightly agape. They hadn't come for the treasure of Myth Drannor as it seemed so many others did, but she had a sudden understanding of why these deadly ruins were such a draw to those seeking power! In two days these things had been found amidst the rubble. I mean, sure there were the demons and bandits and undead and mind-melting chairs and body snatching spirits, but these were not minor magical items! And what lay before them now were only those things that Halamor didn't have to use Identify on!

The priestess closed her mouth, pulled herself together and read the translated note that the Abbess pushed before them.

"Is this... Does this note tell where the other pieces of the arm are?!" Just like that her shock returned. "I'm not sure about the other two, but 'Where wind is worshipped...' Didn't you mention yesterday that there was a temple to Shaundakul here in the city? And 'Where love is worship'... We're familiar with the temple to Sune in the north," Ashara tried to fight back a blush, but lost the battle.

"Abbess," she began again after clearing her throat, "if I may ask, how do you think this power arm might help with this current problem? I'd assume that if the dead magic zone were to reach the tower, that it would be as inert as any other magical item. Unless... It could protect the Seekers while they pulled up stakes and relocated?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 pm

"Honestly, I do not know." The Abbess with an upraised eyebrow. Between the young priestess' blushing and the smile her red-eared husband was trying to fight she didn't need to ask. She wasnt' that old yet.

"I only know that Lathander recently sent me a sign that 'Hope' was coming. That very day you two walked through our gates, and you came bearing not only a piece of the Arm of Valor... but the location of the rest."

She was quiet for a moment and Elric could see turmoil as if she knew more, but wasn't sure if she should say. "Legends say... " She said slowly. "And Legends are all we have to go on, of course...." Elric simply nodded and inched to the edge of his seat.

"Legends said that the Wielder of the Arm of Valor had immense arcane might. Scholars believe that the arm was similar to many wizards items, such as staffs or wands... but it was used primarily by fighters. Of course few blend steel and magic the way elves do, and in the height of Myth Drannor there was no shortage of bladesingers and spell fighters available... but here is an interesting note... As it was fashioned to defend the city, the mythal had no hold over it."

She was silent as she let that last phrase sink in. Jorelon fidgeted to Elric's left. "What does that mean... Exactly?" Elric had a few ideas.. but he'd rather they were spoken aloud.

"Does it mean no wild magic? No dead magic?" the young priest questioned further.

"I don't know." The Abbess said with a shrug of her shoulders. "The arm was made when the mythal was strong. Things have changed since then."

"The Time of Troubles...." Elric asked and the Abbess was shaking her head before he even finished.

"It's too easy to blame the Time of Troubles... The gods walking amongst us made the troubles worsen... but we were having trouble with the mythal for years prior.

"I do not believe the arm will 'restore' the degenerating mythal, and I don't know if it would do anything in the dead magic zone... but the wild magic effects that plague our casting... I think it would ignore those. Unlike many other Wild magic in the world... this is a result of the mythal twisting the magic we cast. Also... there are many things that simply aren't allowed in the mythal. Legend states that the one wielding the arm isn't restricted."

"If we had the arm...." Jorelon mouthed in wonder.

"Or if someone 'else' found it..." Elric responded in concern.

"Yes, that's my concern too." The Abbess nodded. "If our enemies were to find the pieces and be free from the simple protections the mythal affords us...." She let the thought trail off.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:18 am

A shudder ran through her at the implications. If the Arm was to fall into the hands of a demon? Or worse?? With that kind of power, how long would it take the wielder to raise an army against the troublesome clergy at the Dawnspire? Zhents? Cult of the Dragon? Just kept getting better and better...

Ashara pulled the translated note toward herself once more. Where song lives. Where six are one. She shook her head in frustration. Though she felt pretty confident about the other two clues, there was just too much they didn't know about Myth Drannor. Fortunately they were surrounded by those who did!

"Are any of these four locations within the dead magic zone that we're planning on entering? Please forgive my unfamiliarity with the city," she smiled, "but our map is unlabeled. Maybe we could check out Gemblaunt and look for a piece of the Arm in the same trip.

"Unless you believe our priority should first be to reassemble the Arm before making our foray into the darkness?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:12 pm

"The two locations you've mentioned are not," Kaldric chimed in, choosing to involve himself in this conversation primarily to keep his mouth busy, and therefore keeping the scowl off it. This "miraculous" discovery wasn't good news at all to his ears. "The Sunite temple you refer to, known as Lover's Glade, resides east of here in Dlabraddath. Shaundakul's Throne lies far to the northwest within Sheshyrinnam, though if we wish to be thorough, The Wind's Nest, dedicated to the elven goddess Aerdrie, sits only a skip-and-a-jump away in Kerradunath, and that may very well be pushing into the Dead Magic zone."

Suddenly out of breath, the mage realized he'd stated all of that without taking one and forced himself to do so. Sounding anxious certainly would not help his position. He needed to remain calm and focused now more than ever. They had to be convinced that he had the Dawnspire's interests at heart---which he did, of course, since he whole-heartedly believed its salvation coincided very much with his own desire at this crucial period!

"Admittedly, 'Where six are one' is a bit baffling to me, as well. Nothing comes immediately to mind when I hear that phrase, save a couple feasible possibilities that would test the limits of significance, I'm sure. One may be The Six Tyryl Towers: a wizard school in Dlabraddath, though I have misgivings about this suggestion. I've found writings in my time here that are indicative of distrust by some of elven heritage for this school due to its claims of possessing knowledge about Netherese magics. That distrust might very well have ruled them out of any coordinated attempt at stowing these artifacts. A second---and even less likely suggestion---is Sixstar, which is a meeting of six stone pathways in the Sheshyrinnam district, with three of Myth Drannor's busiest avenues---Shandol's Street, Dragoneye Street, and the Street of Song---all intersecting there. Whether this is a viable option or not, checking it shouldn't cost us much time at all, because Sixstar lingers just south of the location spoken of in the second clue: Windsong Tower."

The moment he'd heard "Where song lives," Kaldric had no doubt Windsong Tower was the answer to it. There could be no other in all of Myth Drannor, and after taking a moment to formulate that argument, he knew it to be his saving grace in all of this. "In all of the City of Song, there isn't a more secure location than its vaults simply because a more secure location than Windsong Tower doesn't exist within the city." He graciously fixed his attention on the two new arrivals, knowing they would be the least likely to have any knowledge of the wizard school. "You see, one can't just walk into Windsong Tower, as it hasn't any entrances. Instead, all students and faculty that belonged there wore a Towerkin Ring, a plain gold or silver band imbued with disguised magic that permitted the wearer to pass through the many wards and walls. Without such a ring you don't get in, and, to the best of my knowledge, we've yet to find one.

"That's why we must still explore Gemblaunt Isle," he pushed, hoping none of the Seekers had discovered one of these rings without his knowledge of it. "As I've stated not long ago, I believe Arguth the Gem-Mage to be the Master of Windsong Tower, which means he would have been a possessor of a Towerkin Ring. Inevitably, to collect all the pieces of the Power Arm, the Isle remains an important stop along that road."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:01 am

"Shaundakul's Throne will probably have dead magic." Jorelon spoke up to clarify what the wizard had just said. "Different zone, but same trouble..."

The Abbess was nodding and looked at Kaldric doubtfully. "Windsong Tower..." Turning she looked at Ashara and Elric closely. "Did you happen to find one of these rings where you found the piece of armor?"

"No...." Elric answered quickly. "Though to be fair, we barely found any of the body. It was crushed under some ancient rubble and turned to dust in my hands... Only one arm was visible but there were no magic rings."

Elric understood the concerned look on her face. Remembering the Lover's Glade, it was indeed safe, but there wasn't much there. The piece may be hidden, but he doubted it'd be as 'secure' as Kaldric seemed to indicate the Tower was. "If the legends hold true, then this servant was to retrieve the arm.... he must have been able to get to it. Or else why send him?"

"Mayhaps he was to bring the four parts to the wizard... then he'd get the 5th?" The gruff voice of the dwarf reasoned.

The half-elf shook his head. "No... the clues indicate the search, if there was a piece held back to stop the servant from going all powerful... it was the Rerebrace."

Alaecathra nodded. "If you'd be so kind, I'd like to know exactly where you found this. While the five of you explore Gemblaunt, I'll see if we can retrieve anything from below the rubble."

The half-elf consented and told everything he could tell, with an attention to detail that would do a bard proud. By the time he was finished the Abbess stared at him with wide eyes.

"So close?! For all this time, the Arm of Valor has been just minutes away... Amazing... " She placed her hand protectively over the artifact. "Rumor has it, that in case like this, Like attracts Like. This piece of the puzzle may well help to locate or unlock the others."

She breathed an awkward sigh. "I do not feel comfortable sending this in with you to Gemblaunt. We don't know what is in there, and if anything were to happen... we would be hard pressed to recover it.

"Go. Search the island. Find what you can about the Mythal, but when you finish there... before gallivanting around the city, come back and give me an updated. I may have more information by then, but regardless... Take the arm piece and try to complete it."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:10 am

The Abbess had dismissed them to fulfill their mission at Gemblaunt Isle, and Kaldric wanted to do exactly that. In a decade of research, the Gem-Mage had surfaced as the best possible option for him to communicate with the Mythal, as all other options revolved around the usage of High Magic, which sadly was impossible for him. Before now, any exploration mission to the Isle had been nothing more than a surveying assignment primarily completed by those not of the Seekers, though often still at his behest. That location had been enshrouded in Dead Magic long before the problem of its mysterious expansion, making forays into the area extremely stressful even for glory-seeking adventurers. To him the risk was well worth the reward, but convincing others of the same had proved ineffectual.

Now, the expanding Dead Magic zone provided just cause for a thorough search of the Isle, as it offered the best opportunity to communicate with the Mythal. Yet, from what he'd just heard, that may no longer be the case. Perhaps he had allowed his preconceptions of the Dead Magic in Myth Drannor---that it was an effect brought about by the Time of Troubles---to cloud his judgment on the best actions to take for the current situation. Kaldric thought back to his earlier explanation on how these Dead Magic zones differed from those created by arcane casters and wondered now if that reasoning even applied here. The discussion he had just listened to made it sound as if this Power Arm may work against, or even in, these zones---an impossibility if the zones were created during the Time of Troubles, but not necessarily if the zones were a corruption of the Mythal, which other powerful magic might overcome! Naturally, his preferred option remained viable, but no longer was it the best on the table, nor the easiest to implement. The groups were already assembled, after all, and only required reassigning to these destinations they knew held keys to this artifact. While he believed differently, they had no guarantee anything useful awaited them at Gemblaunt Isle.

The others in his party had already started filing out of the small office, and the Abbess had gone back to doing whatever business she had to do. "Wait," Kaldric spoke up, getting everyone's attention once again. Oh, how he wanted to stay quiet at that moment! "You think the Towerkin Ring is buried beneath all that rock? I can get it for you in a matter of minutes, depending on how inclined the wife is to letting me do what I do today," he grinned at his own attempted levity. "Now, Halamor is capable of the same spell, but I don't think he has it. Nerideth has the spell because I gave it to him, but if he does find the ring, you'll want us to explore Windsong Tower---there's no one else better equipped, and you know that.

"We don't know what the Tower holds. No one has been inside there for centuries, and it's quite possible everything we want to find resides within it. We know one is. This option fell into our laps, has promise, and virtual assurance of being done quicker. I vote we take advantage of it."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm

"If there is a way to get directly to one of our destinations, than since time is of the essence perhaps it would be best," Ashara agreed. "The rubble where Elric found the body is not far at all, as you've noted," she nodded her head to the Abbess, "and it didn't look as if anything had been disturbed. If the poor servant was wearing a ring, than it likely should still be there..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Alaecathra nodded. "Go then. See what you can find. The others will be continuing the missions given to them to search for Kaldric's information. While I do believe the Arm is valuable weapon, I do not see it resolving our immediate crisis.

"The fallen servant isn't far, if you find the ring you need, come back and take the rerebrace with you to Windsong. I believe it will be necessary to find the other pieces. If not, I'd still rather you didn't take the arm to the Gemblaunt.

Moments later the company found themselves once again outside the walls of safety. Inside the crowded tower, Elric had nearly forgotten the eerie silence of the ruined city. Fortunately they remembered the name of the buildings nearby, Apparently they were so eager to watch for danger, simple landmarks were a little more of blur. Two wrong turns and Jorelon took over the lead. The priest had lead many patrols out this far with Fluffy, and knew the area much better then the Everdawns.

"Here... no, HERE!!" Elric called out as he spotted the familiar looking rubble near the 'Lady's Laugh.' He could still make out the traces of their own tracks and the shards of bone still stuck out from under the rock.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Kaldric appraised the mound of collapsed rock before him and nodded. "This shouldn't take long at all," he assured those in attendance, pulling out a tiny shovel and bucket fashioned from bronze. His robe fluttered from yellow to green in a scintillating show that lasted barely a breath as the mage began to run his hands through intricate arcane gestures. While doing so, he spoke a few magically-powered syllables, then slid the bronze shovel into its matching bucket to complete the incantation.

Holding the items in his left hand, he grabbed at the air with his right. Just as his fingers closed, a large amount of the rock crushed together, emitting a small dust cloud from around it. Kaldric motioned is if pulling the dirt out and placing it aside, and the rock mimicked his movements precisely, becoming a new mound a dozen feet away. It took him only a few handfuls to clear away the majority of the rubble toppled there, after which the Sevenfold Veil Initiate brushed at the air in front of him to remove the remaining surface dirt. In less than a minute's time, he had cleaned the area enough to reveal a crushed skeletal form.

"I believe this find is ready for your perusal," he smiled, kissing his clenched left hand afterward and whispering, "Thank you, dear." When he opened that hand again after, the bronze had crushed to dust and blew away in the soft breeze.

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Ashara kept a careful eye on the ruins around them as Kaldric cleared the rubble just outside the Lady's Laugh. The hobgoblins that had been digging in the area the day previous, were still mostly smeared on the shattered cobblestones they'd passed earlier, and whatever it was that had obliterated them was nowhere to be seen. Looked clear...

As soon as she'd walked outside the relative safety of the Seeker's compound, her nerves were on edge again. There were five now in the group instead of just two and that gave Ashara a bit of comfort. All of them were seasoned adventurers and all but themselves have lived among the treacherous ruins for some time now. Still, she wouldn't allow herself to let her guard down here!

"Well done, Master Hueart," Ashara grinned, clapping the mage on his shoulder once he'd completed the casting. "Now let's hope that we're able to find what we seek!"

Pulling the weirwood rod from her belt, the priestess slowly started picking her way through the area, keeping a lookout for anything that might have been uncovered during the arcane working. If they came up with nothing, a Detect Magic would be more thorough, certainly. From her point of view though, if you didn't have to use magic here under the Mythal, than it was for the best!
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Elric and Durlan moved forward to examine the ancient bones. The half-elf couldn't help but wonder, what if? What if this man had been a little faster, or stood a little to the right? What if the Arm of Valor had come into play? Would it have made a difference in the Weeping War? It certainly sounded powerful. Would it have been powerful enough to have saved the city? He'd been in enough wars now to realize that it often hinged on the outcome of one action. He tried to dismiss the sad thought as he examined the body.

The body had been crushed, the skull shattered. what the building hadn't crushed to nothing seemed to crumble under his own touch. A few rusted and useless buckles were all that remained of the armor that he'd worn. A dagger of Myth Drannor, like the one he'd found earlier was worn but still serviceable. Provided the action wasn't too strenuous of course. He grinned at Ashara as he tossed it to the side.

"A little something for Vailis after all." His grin disappeared as he ran his hands through the dirt and bone. What they'd expected to find wasn't here. Looking back up at the group he shook his head in confusion.

"Nothing. No rings of any kind..." He stood up and brushed himself off. "What do we do now?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 pm

"Nothing? Truly?" The mage sounded shocked. Their logic had seemed fitting to the situation as best he understood it. That the ring was not on the finger actually surprised him somewhat.

Unless . . . "It's possible there's an enchantment that forbids the ring's destruction, which might have been set off when the building threatened to crush it. I've not heard of such a thing on Towerkin Rings, but as I've not yet had the opportunity to observe, and thereby study, one up close, the idea can't be discounted."

He paused a moment, then quirked an eyebrow. "Or it was just never here. Regardless, we'll need one of those rings to get into the Tower. If not here, Gemblaunt Isle awaits us, after all."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Ashara smiled as she tucked the alliance dagger into the pack she borrowed from the temple. The Haversack would not be very useful in a dead magic zone, and apparently that was where they'd be heading presently!

"Gemblaunt it is then," she remarked, sliding the weirwood rod back into her belt. "We can look for one of these Towerkin rings as well as any information that might aid Kaldric in his research of the Mythal."

Lowering her voice a notch, the priestess stepped closer to her four companions. There was no telling who or what might try to overhear this conversation, and she had no intention of peaking the interest of any other groups that wished to know of the location of the pieces of the Arm.

"If no ring can be found there, then we may have to first search the areas the other clues pointed to, and save the Tower for last on the list."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:21 pm

"The island it is then..." Elric turned toward the locals and waved for them to lead on. Jorelon immediately took the lead. The young priest was well versed in the surrounding area, and as he explained rather gleefully that he hadn't actually BEEN to Gemblaunt, the area surrounding it was relatively safe. Or was the last they'd patrolled. the dead magic was making it difficult for them to scout with the Arathas.

Elric couldn't help but grin at his enthusiastic new companion. His optimism was infectious. Situations like this he found optimism went a long way. "He always this way?" the half=elf whispered to the dwarf walking near him.

"Well... Short answer, Aye." the dwarf chuckled beard barely hiding his own grin. "Bit more then usual though... Don't be underestimatin' what you and yer lady there brought to them Seeker's"

"Hope..." Elric answered uncomfortably. "I'm not sure I like 'that' much responsibility..."

"Aye, ye did that... but ye also brought more then that." the dwarf's eyes glinted mysteriously. "Ye also brought a certain amount of infamy!" The half-elf's brow furrowed in confusion.

"Aye... Ye've seen the way Ashara there looks to the folks that met their god?" Elric nodded slowly. He himself felt more than a little awe being around these original seekers.

"Well... While ye two ain't no gods...." he said with a snicker. "Don't be doubtin' that the Abbess already has a score or two of scribes in their library writin' down yer tales!" Nodding toward the Holy mace Ashara held at her side. "Generations of Seekers will be readin' about the day that mace came to visit... and anyone involved with it." he grinned nodding toward Jorelon in the lead.

"The lad's goin' be in the chronicles. Ain't no wonder he's a bit... bubbly today."

That thought stole the grin from Elric's face as he glanced ahead concerned. Did this man join them just to be famous?! That... wasn't good. Suddenly he wondered if the young man wasn't a little too optimistic!

"What about you?" he asked Durlan. "Coming along just to be in the chronicles too?"

"Bahhh... " the dwarf waved the comment away as if it were nothing but smoke. "I'm here to help ye out if I can. From the stories ye told, Seems ye've done more'n your part to help the dwarves."

"You're familiar with Dagadar?" Elric answered a little shocked. The dwarves of Dagadar were cursed for five millenia. It took a lot of research to find out anything about them...

"Nope!" Durlan answered simply. "Ain't much of a surprise though... Lots of dwarven clans out there, and they're pretty solitary. Ain't that rare that one just goes missin' for few centuries and then pops back up on the trade lanes..." He looked at Ashara with an appraising eye. "If'n I had any doubts about yer story, they'd been laid to rest seein' that armor there. If that weren't forged by dwarves, then I ain't never seen a dwarven forge!"

As Jorelon led them past the Dawnspire he waved to the two guards leading the giant beetles today in his place. They continued down the broken green and white gravel path free from any hungry predators. Apparently the Seekers were fairly good at keeping their immediate area monster free.

"There was a time," their guide started talking, that Suldar's walk was the most peaceful stroll in all of Myth Drannor. It's still pretty and all, but I'd have loved to see it in it's prime... Of course that goes for just about everything here."

As a large arching bridge loomed before them, Elric suddenly saw a faint shimmering in the air. Instinctively he stopped and called a warning. It was similar to what he'd seen in the Lady's laugh, and he realized what happened just before Jorelon announced.

"Yep, we've just entered the Magic Dead area. From here on out, we're going to have to rely on our weapons..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Ashara shuddered visibly as she stepped through the invisible barrier. It was a strange feeling to be filled with divine power to cast spells one moment and the next, be completely cut off from it. An uncomfortable feeling...

She also noted that Dawnspeaker felt a good deal heavier at her hip. Not so much as her training mace, it was still glassteel after all, but she realized that she wouldn't be able to wield it quite as effortlessly as she had before. Once again she was glad for those morning practices... The colors of the dawn that would normally pulse up through the translucent haft and crest at the domed head of the holy weapon, suddenly just...stopped.

Taking the mace in hand, Ashara spun it once to get a quick feel for the new weight.

"Let's do this then," she grinned, tossing a wink to her husband.

Elric's comments last night had been true. She wasn't exactly a novice with the weapon, and considering the danger, they'd done pretty well for themselves so far in the city without the use of much magic. His assurances had gone a long way to make her feel more comfortable with the situation.

Besides...if you had to go poking around an old wizard tower, it would be much safer to do in a magic dead area!

As the group moved toward the bridge, a chill breeze blew out of the clouds that seemed to cut right through plate, chain and padding, sending a shiver down Ashara's spine. She pulled her heavy scarlet cloak tightly about her body. Without the warmth of the Morninglord's power, the world suddenly seemed much colder.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 pm

As they crossed the intricately decorated stone bridge, he couldn't help but run his hand along the aged and cracked railing. Even in this untended condition, he knew it was once perfectly smooth, and the half-elf couldn't decide if it had been created using magic or phenomenal craftsmen. Possibly both. Considering where they were, probably both!

When he reached the top of the arch, Jorelon reached into his pocket and tossed a coin over the edge. Seeing Erlic's questioning gaze the young priest blushed a bit and shrugged his shoulders.

"Old habit." he said with an embarrassed grin. "This was once called the 'Wishing Bridge'. People would toss a coin or drop a flower or something off the side, and make a wish. I doubt it still works, Dead Magic and all... but just something that I do when I cross here... and I've always made it back."

Elric nodded in understanding. Whether superstition or custom, he wasn't one to criticize. He had once dropped some gold into the altar of Umberlee himself before that long trip to the Raven's isle... Seemed the thing to do, and most of the other sailors in Port Kir did the same thing. There was a difference he rationalized between 'worshiping' a Deity, and simply not wishing to offend one.

At that stage of his life he hadn't been interested in 'offending' evil gods. My how times have changed... Now it seemed like that was what they did on a regular basis!

With a grin he reached into his own pocket and produced a couple silver pieces. With a grin at Jorelon he tossed them over the side and listened to the plopping of water from the lake below. While wishing for safety for the group in this dangerous mission couldn't hurt... For him it was more about the connection to the past. Walking the same bridge, performing the same customs as all the elves and men who had once walked Myth Drannor. How many of his heroes or even simply people had done exactly this thing?

As they reached the apex of the bridge his hands gripped the railing till his knuckles turned white. Any thoughts of Myth Drannor as living, breathing community vanished to be replaced by images of war and death.

Dlabraddath had merely been a taste of the great city. Scattered shops, homes and taverns mixed in with the heavily forested landscape. It seemed more a great village than what he'd expected of the great city.

Here however... here his view had changed. Even looking at the map he'd failed to understand the scope of Myth Drannor. Or it's destruction. While the buildings in Dlabraddath were old, or damaged... here they were truly ruins. If they 'were' at all. To the northwest there were still the few trees mixed in with the spiralling towers, but they were scarcer. The main section of the city was immense and fairly open to the eyes.

The buildings were cracked and crumbling, Many of the architectural miracles had failed with time and collapsed. Some screamed of battle. Just past the route they were to take, there was nothing for over 300 yards. Rubble and blackened stumps. No two stones seemed to still be stacked. It just screamed war zone. Even the war for Evereska didn't do this kind of damage.

Nor did the battle of Zazzespur, which thankfully they hadn't been a part of... though they had witnessed the aftermath. .

This screamed Calimport.

"Ohhh Melamin...." Elric whispered reaching a hand over her shoulders as they took in the ancient devastation. "Someday... I promise I'm going take you somewhere nice..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 19 Empty Re: Autumn 1372

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next