The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Autumn 1372  - Page 32 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Autumn 1372

3 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 32 Empty Re: Autumn 1372

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:26 pm

The voyage back was a somber one. Elric was surprised how quickly he was learning his points of reference. While there were new and interesting things all around them. The buildings were unique enough that he never truly felt lost.

Heading back towards the House of Song they turned southward. Not the safest route, Jorelon explained, but the shortest. And this was a part of their adventure they wished to be over with quickly.

Before long, they reached the area of massive devastation they had seen on their journey to Gemblaunt Island. Up close it seemed even worse. The ground was blasted to glass in areas, while small white objected were scattered amongst the few remaining walls. The warrior believed them to be bones of a massive army... but didn't voice his opinion in fear it would be confirmed.

This was one of the last battle sites of the Weeping War, It had to be. While the amateur bard in him longed to know everything and bask in the history, the professional warrior in him recognized the massive danger present. At the worst, This much sudden death could easily have led to the legends of magic and weapons simply lying around for the picking.... this would be an excellent place to start searching for wandering hunters. At Best, there was little to no cover and tarrying would be foolhardy. So onward they sped.

Before long they crossed the bridge and saw the Dawnspire in the distance. The joy and enthusiasm they'd experienced the first time they'd seen it, was missing now.

Cheers died quickly when Kaldric's disc came into view with it's cargo. Withing moments of their arrival the Abbess had joined them in the courtyard. A look of both sorrow and resignation crossed her features as she barked out orders to those nearby. Soon Durlan's body was removed from the disc and taken inside for preparations.

The Seekers didn't waste much time....

"I would like to hear an update on what happened since you last left us sister..." She said to Ashara. Elric thought she had to repress a surge of excitement as she gazed on the nearly complete Arm of Valor. Giddiness however wouldn't have been prudent under the circumstances. "As soon as your prepared of course...." She added in a stately manner.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 32 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:56 am

"Of course, Abbess." Ashara responded readily with a deep bow. "If you would like us to accompany you to your study, we can go over everything as soon as I can heal us of our wounds."

She glanced toward the temple doors where Durlan's body was being ushered in. Somber murmurs fluttered about the gathered crowd intermingled with whispered prayers for his soul's journey and thanks for a life well lived. There were no accusatory glances. No angry words nor even tears. Death was far too commonplace in Myth Drannor for all that.

Wearily the braided priestess pushed her fingers to her forehead. "It's been an eventful two days."

"I'm afraid I understand all too well," Alaecathra nodded thoughtfully. "Please, come with me."

The companions were led into the now familiar study where the Abbess took her seat behind the desk, waiting patiently while injuries were tended to.

Ashara was the last to be Healed. As she felt the familiar warmth flow through her, something...odd happened. All the damaged branches sprouting from her skin healed as well! The leaves unfurled full and lush upon the thin branches and the pink flower buds bloomed into blood red blossoms.

The young woman just sighed.

After sitting (a bit more heavily than intended) into one of the ornately decorated chairs, the little kodragon stretched his wings, flitted once around the room and settled into Ashara's lap to be scratched some more.

"So, I suppose I should start at the beginning."

And that's where she started. From their first encounter with the scaladar to the final battle with the scrags and hezrou, Ashara only paused in her speech to snap off the occasional twig blocking her view. Special attention was paid to events at Shaundakul's Throne and meeting Shamus and his windghost friends. It may not be part of the primary objective now but she felt it necessary to let Alaecathra know that the Dawnspire had a potential ally to the north. A haven for those Seekers who ventured out into the ruins.

It was difficult for her to have to relive the death of Durlan again and by the way Jorelon was fascinated with his knees during that part, it seemed even more difficult for him.

When all had been recounted, as if to punctuate the end of the tale, Elric produced the tiny statue of Belkanz and rested it on the desk in front of the Abbess.

"With the pauldron secured, we headed directly back here. Thankfully without incident," Ashara added. "Only one more piece to find as you can see and while we're not completely confident about the 'where six are one' clue, we hope to investigate the Sixstar tomorrow after Dawnsmeet."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 32 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

"Four down... one to go." The Abbess muttered thoughtfully. She picked up the statue of the tiny demon and with a look of disgust handed it back to the half-elf.

"Tell me about this Shamus. I've heard rumors of someone wandering that area for years.... but I've had no contact."

"Kind of a jerk to tell the truth." Elric answered. "He was very... concerned about his god's status. I don't know... I suppose he had a point. If some other priest walked in here, and said they needed the dawnstone, I don't think he'd be met warmly..." Alacathra just raised and eyebrow in answer.

"Exactly." He said with a slight grin. "To his credit while valued the powerful artifact there... he was more interested in spreading his god's name... so I guess he wasn't too bad."

"Still rude though." Jorelon added from his left.

"Very rude." Elric agreed. "Still, I think some arrangements would be in every one's best interests."

The Abbess nodded. "Allies are always welcome, I'll see what we can arrange with this man."

Last edited by Elric on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:03 am

Ashara smiled at the exchange as she quietly stroked the little dragon's fur. Curled in her lap, his eyes drooped sleepily as he basked in the affection. This was the first he'd felt safe in a very, very long time.

As she pondered the ramifications of the potential alliance with Shamus, her mind was drawn to the past. Plant seeds of hope, new ideas and plans for a rosy future in the minds of all. This was part of the charge given her when she first took her oaths and she saw this to be an achievement along that vein. But she was a big picture kind of girl... This wasn't about Shamus and the Dawnspire. At least not entirely. What she hoped would start as an alliance between two temples may someday branch into an alliance between two deities!

She would keep her word given to the Windwalker and lift prayers to Shaundakul where appropriate. Others would again hear of his name during their travels and perhaps that alone could ignite the spark that would see the deity's ascension once again! Perhaps the Rider of the Winds would be grateful to Lathander and his followers. Granted, that was a lot of 'perhapses' but that was part of the 'rosy future' bit, wasn't it? She had hope. This small action could certainly reap great rewards!

Ashara had seen first hand and even committed so much evil in her brief time on Faerun and it was from those experiences she'd learned that allies were always good to have. As an adventurer. As a deity... We all need friends to watch our backs!

Sometimes even that wasn't enough though.

"When will the Going Down be held for Durlan," she asked quietly as her thoughts inevitably led her back to their fallen comrade. "This evening? Tomorrow evening? I would hope to be present for it though I understand that the mission must come first."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:54 am

The Abbess looked to the long shadows in the office. If they rushed things the ceremony could be tonight... but the dwarf deserved better than that.

"Tomorrow I believe would be best." She sighed and looked at the raggedy band in front of her. "You've completed much of the quest already, If you feel the need to rest... do so. The fewer Going Down ceremonies the better..."

"What of the dead magic?" Jorelon asked. Elric nodded in agreement. That was the true quest. To save the Dawnspire. That had to come first.

"Interesting you should ask... " Her brow furled in concern. "It seemed to have stopped growing."

"That's good right..." Elric asked, confused about her odd expression.

"Slowed might be a better term. The last two days, there was no change at all. Today it growing again..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:57 am

That pulled Ashara's gaze up from the sweet, adorable, fuzzy little dragon!

"Really? That seems strange..." A single eyebrow crept slowly skyward. "Has this happened before that you know of?"

Her weary mind started whirring with questions again. Could this be evidence that the Dead Magic area was being intelligently controlled? If so, what would have caused the encroachment to stop? Two days... They'd been gone the last two days! Coincidence or could the two events be related?
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Alaecathra shrugged.

"It's difficult to track. They have been known to shift from time to time, but since we've begun monitoring it... This is the first time it's outright 'stopped' growing... That's been several months now."

"So... what does that mean? " Elric asked hopefully.

"I... have no idea." She said with a disgruntled sigh. "I believe that there issome force behind this attack...

"You five ventured into the dead zone, and then it stopped growing. Either you affected it somehow... or distracted it, I don't know."

"What about the arm?" Jorelon asked aloud. "Could that have anything to do with it?" She just shook her head.

"I don't see how. The more I meditate on it, the more the Arm seems like a godsend. But It's purpose isn't clear." She rubbed eyes that looked entirely too tired. "Our scholars agree that the Arm of Valor was crafted long after the mythal was created, and yet long before the dead magic areas started to appear.

"If it has any correlation with them, then It's beyond me..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:10 pm

"Once the Arm is assembled we may have to brave the dead magic once more to see if we can't distract it again..." She clenched her gauntleted hand absentmindedly. "Find the source and stop it permanently."

Ashara didn't relish the idea. Memories of the molydeus were still very fresh in her mind and the DMZ was the last place they left it. A cold iron blade buried deep in its thigh. The thought of meeting him again made the hair (and branches) stand up on the back of her neck. Was the tanar'ri part of this problem? He did have a number of thralls with him, which might point to a psionic threat which would arguably even more dangerous, especially if it had an army with it.

"Would you like us to leave the pieces of the Arm with you this evening for you to study, Abbess? We've also collected a few other magical things that might be passed along to Halamor for Identification if he has the time or inclination. Poor man..." The priestess smirked with a shake of her head. "I know that's not the most illustrious duty he could be attending to..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm

"I'm sure he's fine with it..." Alaecathra said with a wave of her hand. "In fact he seemed quite fascinated with what you have already discovered and hoped that you'd return soon..." She looked hungrily at the ancient artifact on Ashara's arm. "And yes, I would like like to study that arm, whenever possible."

She winked at the younger priestess and added. "If Halamor finds out it was here, and left before he got to see it... Well... Let's just say, I may be going with you to get the last piece!"

Elric chuckled, but a nagging doubt crossed his mind. He sincerely hoped the leader of this fine temple didn't try any bureaucratic... stuff. The Arm was powerful... Handing it over to strangers, even ones with these credentials... concerned him. He made a note to talk to Ashara about it later.

"The arm is needed to find the last piece." he spoke up before things got carried away. "Whenever we get within 200' of a new piece, it lights up with fairie fire. Let's us know we're close..."

"Of course." Alaecathra answered easily. "It will be ready when you are..." her voice trailed off as she stared at the plant life growing out of the young woman. "Are you alright?" Concern etched her voice. "This may be a mythal surge, but not one I've seen before..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Ashara's heart sunk a little.

"I was hoping you had seen the like before," she grimaced. "Maybe tell me how to be rid of it..."

The priestess pulled down on one of the blossoming branches and let it whip back into place, sending a small shower of red petals down upon the kodragon who was now drooling on her lap.

"It doesn't seem inhibiting at all, just annoying," she continued, "and the branches seem to be broken or cut without pain, so maybe some pruning might be in order." Ashara blushed and sighed realizing how completely ridiculous she must look beside the immaculate Abbess in her pristine robes. Then she caught a strong whiff of troll stink rolling off her armor and groaned under her breath. A spell would take care of that soon enough.

"Considering all that transpired today... All that might have happened with a Mythal surge, I think I got lucky! Though," she smirked at Elric, "I think I might need to get this taken care of before we see our friendly neighborhood thorn golem again. I don't know what Thornton would make of this!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:49 am

Elric raised an eyebrow at the mention of the mysterious golem. "We'll just have to remind him your taken. Otherwise he may be in for a thrashing..." he thought for a moment, then amended. "Or would that be a threshing?"

The Abbess' words concerned Elric, but not as much as they probably should have. His wife was growing plants after all... He obviously didn't have the first clue what to do about it. The mythal experts didn't know what to do about it. Yet, for some reason, he simply wasn't worried.

He knew why. He had faith in his friends. If this was a magical effect. Therogeon would take care of it. Granted.. it would undoubtedly take time... With the elder half-elf it always did, but if it could be dispelled... Therogeon could do it.

If for some reason this was beyond the capabilities of mages.... They had Eddick. The most powerful Druid left in Faerun. Or at least so Elric believed. He'd probably be tougher to track down... but again the conclusion wasn't even in doubt. Whether plant or magic, they had the contacts to solve this particular... issue.

Most of all, he had a difficult time seeing her there, and not thinking of the last time he'd seen her with flowers poking through her hair. Almost a year now since he placed that hard woven crown on her head...

Seemed like only yesterday.

"... unless theres' something else?"

Elric was startled from his reminiscing as Alaecathra finished saying... something. With a guilty grin he looked around to see if anyone was responding. Not subtle enough for Jorelon though. The Seekers trained their priests to be ever watchful for threats... it was hard to turn off.

"We'll be going to see about your treasure..." He whispered under his breath.

"Right... Treasure..." He said his gaze lingering again on his wife. "I'm ready."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 am

Color rose to Ashara's cheeks once again when she realized she was the source of her husband's distraction. Was it the wet troll smell? The healthy green foliage sprouting from beneath her armor? From the softness and warmth of Elric's expression, she guessed it must be something else entirely. Her smile widened.

"I'm ready as well. Let me just..." The pauldron, rerebrace and cotour, once worn together had fused into a solid piece of blue-black adamantite. Only the missing vambrace kept the gauntlet from becoming part of the whole. The magic allowed the pieces to be separated as the priestess unbuckled them one by one and laid them on the desk before the Abbess.

"It's a very powerful artifact and more than just the sum of its parts," she explained, as Alaecathra examined the armor. "I had no idea just how powerful! If this ended up in the wrong hands...demonic or otherwise, it could be a serious problem, so we won't be spreading around any information about it just to be safe."

The kodragon looked up sleepily and smacked his furry lips together as Ashara shifted him into her arms and stood. "It's an honor that you entrusted us to help with this important mission, Abbess, strangers that we are! Thank you for that show of faith... It was not ill-placed." She smiled and bowed deeply to the high priestess. "Until Dawnsmeet..."

After exiting the study, Ashara quickly whispered a few divine words to cleanse herself and her armor as Jorelon led them toward Halamor's workroom. It would be interesting to see what exactly they'd found those first couple days in the ruins. Maybe there was something that might aid them in their excursion tomorrow, but she was especially interested in seeing what that harp could do... Though she might not admit it, she really enjoyed the little lesson she was given in Uvaren's Legacy and secretly hoped for a second session someday!

Apparently the furry dragon decided to see how the half elf's broad shoulders measured up as a resting place and flitting from Ashara's arms, he curled around Elric's neck, sighing contentedly.

"Definitely going to need to come up with a name for him soon," the young woman grinned. "I dont' think he's going anywhere!" Chuckling, she took her husband's hand affectionately as they followed the priest down the hall.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Before long the Abbess had led them to a small room filled to the brim with various books, beakers and clutter. Obviously they were in the right place. If Halamor was anything like the mages he knew... then he probably knew every square inch of this clutter by heart.

As he thought that, a pair of spectacles rose over a tall stack of books. Halamor looked the same as he did when they'd first seen him. Still scruffy faced and ragged, possibly still wearing the same robe... Annoyance at the intrusion quickly diffused when he saw who his guests were.

Everdawns!! He exclaimed eagerly. "I feared you lost! Have you done it... Have you found the rest of the arm??"

Elric winced at the question. Mages and a search for power... A very sore subject with Therogeon. They'd spent many an hour discussing the consequences of a thirst for power... How little he'd known exactly how much the elder half-elf had hated them. He'd only learned much later that Therogeon's order was dedicated to protecting the world from such things. He glanced at the Abbess for direction.

"Some of it yes." Alaecathra admitted. I have it for safe keeping and away from prying eyes... but I would like your expertise in the matters later if you have the time."

Halamor's eyes looked incredulously at her. "If I have the time?? I'll MAKE time to see that!!"

"First things first..." She said with a laugh. "I believe you have some information for our friends here..."

"Hmm... YES... Right! Just let me... find my notes here." The elderly man made an exaggerated show of looking for a certain piece of paper and when finally taking it off the top of a stack, beamed at the celebrated visitors.

"Right... You already know about the Glowstones and the Ironstar mace correct?" Seeing them nod he continued on. "There were more than a few interesting things here..." he said as he started rummaging through a familiar pile of treasure.

Elric chewed his lip to repress a smile. His heart was beating faster and he couldn't help but squeeze Ashara's hand in excitement. This was almost like his birthday!! Which... he thought with a start, was actually coming up again! If things went as planned, they'd still be in Myth Drannor for that!

"First of all... I believe these were marked 'Legacy Library.' This here is what's called a 'Crossbow of Distance.' They seem to shoot about twice as far a normal crossbow." Seeing the half-elf merely nod in anticipation for the next item he just raised his bushy eyebrows and set it aside.

"How about... A Robe of Blending then?" The faces showed nothing but confusion... He explained as simply as he could. "Anyone wears this... they can become nearly invisible. Look like a rock... or an animal... very versatile!" Somehow he doubted these two would appreciate the value of a good robe. "Very useful for those who practice magic, if you don't... then probably less so. And..." he presented a couple of scroll cases and an well worn book. "... You probably can't use these... but trust me, they are very nice."

"We've a friend back home who'll enjoy them very much, I'm sure... May help the forgiveness for not bringing him, come a little quicker!" He grinned at the thought, but he was starting to get disheartened. Crossbows weren't really his thing, and he knew this was a city of magic... but he hoped SOMETHING would useful to 'them'...

"Well.. I'm sure he'll be very appreciative." The mage looked at the pile in poorly hid disappointment. "Next!! we have the harp maker's trove...."

"RIGHT!!!" Elric blurted out in excitement. Blushing a bit, he hushed up quickly. He'd already played the harp... but made things vibrate notes.. did it do more? Instead the mage picked up the silver bracelet.

The mage hid a grin. What fun was it spending all that time and energy researching stuff if the recipient didn't get at least a little excited. "This is a wonderful little toy." He spread the bracelet out so all could see the intricate workmanship. "This little beauty has a number of minor enchantments on it... all designed to keep you alive longer. No command words... it just.. helps. Protects from falling... drowning... poison... just all around a beautiful little toy."

"That sounds like a winner!" Jorelon whistled from behind them.

"Indeed... " Elric breathed a sigh of relief. It was good to know there weren't any detrimental effects to her wearing the night they found it.

"Then there's the harp..." Halamor said with a note of annoyance. "Do NOT touch THIS string..." He pointed to the lowest note there. "Typically, if your able to strike two chords in a row... metal and glass will sing along with you." Elric nodded, remembering his impromptu concert. "If you pluck THIS string.. You may destroy any metal or glass your facing." He handed the harp over to the eager couple. "So if you HAVE to play... stay FAR from my lab when you do it... I've lost enough now on account of that thing!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:39 am

Ashara winced as she glanced about the room and noticed the small piles of glass that had been swept into the corners for the time being.

"Looks like a wrong chord could really upset an audience! I'm not sure this would make for a good practice harp for me," she chuckled. "Sorry for the damage it caused, Halamor...

"Actually!" The priestess shrugged off the Haversack and started digging around a bit. "We came a few other things in our exploring with the group over the last couple of days, perhaps there might be something here that could help repay you for your lost equipment and your time and components used to Identify all this stuff. At the very least, you'd be welcome to copy any spells from this that you don't have yet," she offered, producing the spellbook from the poor dead mage they'd found in the Library. "We'd like to take it back with us for a friend of ours but there's no harm sharing the knowledge!"

Piece by piece she began to set the unidentified objects on the floor in front of him, separating them into two piles.

"Okay...these things came from a naga we fought in Lover's Glade," she informed the mage, patting a pile of treasure containing two maces, two thick scrolls and three potions. "And this stuff... Oh wait!"

Ashara muttered a few divine words and waggled her fingers at the second pile. A nonmagical gorget and a ring of keys were stuffed back into the bag.

"Those things won't be very interesting to you, unless maybe you have some need of a peg leg?" Grinning, she held up a peg leg made of gilded wood and set with three large cut ovals of amber. "It's a nice one! What? No?!"

A sigh of disappointment preceded the chucking of said peg leg back into the Haversack.

"Well, this dagger, javelin and broadsword are the last of it. We found them in the horde of some scrags and hezrou. There's no rush of course," she added, "especially since the Abbess wants you to take a look at the Arm pieces."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:10 pm

"Hezrou? Nagas? Sounds like your seeing the best the city has to offer..." The mage said appreciatively. "I can't wait to hear the details..."

"I'll fill you in later." Jorelon said with a grin.

"After I've seen the arm."

"Naturally!" the priest laughed. It was good to be home again. With that thought he turned to his new friends.

"On that note, I'm off. I'm not used to being gone this long, and there's gossip to catch up on."

"And spread..." The Abbess said in an exaggerated whisper.

A guilty grin was on the priests face as he made his farewells. Kaldric soon followed suit, off to his own lab for research or rest... Elric wouldn't have wanted to put money on which one came first.

Soon Halamar left with Alaecathra to see the fabled Arm or Valor and the Everdawns found themselves alone again.

"So..." Elric said, placing an arm over her shoulder. "What's next? Check on our sword... get some food..." He pushed one of the flowers that was dangerously close to obscuring her face. "Maybe a little pruning?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 am

Ashara laughed warmly. "It was bad enough in the dining room with Dawnspeaker at my hip and at least those questions were worth the time it took to explain. I'd rather not have everyone wondering why I've suddenly been polymorphed into a shrub!" Chuckling, she gave the half elf a squeeze and began putting their newest magical toys into the Haversack.

"Nah, I think I'd prefer a bit of pruning first if you don't mind assisting. Little off the top for me, fresh change of clothing for you... Plus," she added with a wink, "it's still early... You'd probably have time to take a nap on the newest additions to your horde!"

Small tufted ears perked up at that! The kodragon lifted his head and licked Elric once again on the cheek, bumping his furry head against him fondly.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Elric giggled a manly giggle as the strange tongue tickled his face. "Ok... Better plan! As that was the single worst night of my life... I'll arrange it in a nice little pile for our new friend here..."

The dragon chuffed a sound that Elric took as chuckle, but he didn't seem to dismiss the idea. So that's exactly what he did. A small pile of gold and platinum mixed with various other Myth Drannon treasure soon made a small nest on the floor. As the kodragon curled up on it and quickly snored softly, The half-elf couldn't help but wonder how long it'd been since the creature had felt safe.

As Ashara began removing the rest of her armor, Elric dug through their gear for her sewing kit. The weren't exactly pruning scissors.. but he was sure they would do the job. At least he hoped so... The more armor that came off, the more foliage he saw. The situation was decidedly less funny.

"Ok... This is... Wheww....", he exclaimed under his breath. "If this hurts... umm... Scream I guess..." He gave his best attempt at a confident smile and snipped the scissors open and shut.

Carefully starting at the outermost, there were no screams of agony, but as the shears snipped here and there, he could still sense a tenseness in them both. Hoping to distract her from any discomfort, he asked something that'd been on his mind recently.

"This arm... What's it like wearing it? Do you think it's safe, or was it separated for a reason?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:05 pm

"It's definitely a powerful tool," Ashara murmured, as she collected the snipped flowers into a bouquet. "I don't know if the Arm is empathic or not but I feel that the pieces actually recognize each other on some level. I know that sounds strange... It'll be interesting to see what happens when we find the fifth piece!"

Carfully removing her padded jacket, the priestess was more than a little nervous to see what these branches looked like at the base. What she saw put her a bit more ill at east. Each one seemed to be made of wood all the way until it met flesh. There, she could see that what looked at first like veins surrounding each thin shaft, were actually tiny roots radiated outward in a web-like pattern! These things were growing in her like actual plants! Feeding on her! That would explain why the Heal affected them... Thankfully the branches didn't have nerve endings.

"I have no doubt that it was wise to separate the pieces of the Arm," she continued, trying to ignore the unpleasantness. "That thing is powerful enough to be very dangerous in the wrong hands but I think the Abbess is aware of this...even more so when she takes a look at the pieces herself. I trust her judgement though, Melamin." Ashara looked up at her husband to weigh his expression. "Lathander put her in this place for a reason. He entrusted the Seekers and Alaecathra among them with Endless Dawn and met her in person during the Time of Troubles. She has existed for nearly a century in arguably one of the most dangerous places on Faerun. If anyone is wise enough...worthy enough to use this item, it is the Abbess.

"Are you concerned that the complete Arm of Valor may not be safe heraaaaaaAAAAHHHHH!!"

Ashara screamed out in what sounded like immense pain as Elric trimmed a branch nearer to the skin. Immediately he withdrew the shears, his face having gone ghost white thinking he'd clipped a piece of her off!

She took one look at her husband's horrified expression and unable to keep up the ruse, she burst into laughter.
"I'm so sorry, sweetie, that didn't hurt a bit," she giggled, sighing deeply and wiping a tear from her eye. "Sometimes I just can't help myself!" Ashara shook her head apologetically. "Buckets of water... Bedsheet straitjackets... Disembodied troll claws... I'm really not sure why you continue to put up with me!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Strong arms wrapped around her from behind and held her tight. "Not... Funny!" He whispered fiercely in her ear. Relief caused the intentionally harsh tone to crack into a snicker. "Ok... The bedsheet was pretty funny. But the troll arm... That was extra dangerous! If I hadn't been holding the rope so tightly...." He didn't want to think what he might have done if he'd been holding the sword and not the rope.

He kissed her softly on the neck and let her loose. "As for why I put up with you.... Well, that's easy. I have a list! Two lists actually... One of all your fabulous qualities... and one of things that you need to be paid back for. The song only seems to get longer!" he chuckled. "The other however....."

Hand's that were used to swatting away incoming attacks and counterattacking exposed weak spots with blinding speed went to work in a barrage of tickles that would become legendary... If history recorded such things.

The ensuing squeals of laughter from both parties woke the the kodragon long enough to open one eye, determine he was in no danger, and go back to sleep.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:05 am

She tried to catch his hands to no avail. Tried to squirm away with no luck. When it seemed that hope was all but lost, Ashara simply curled into a tight ball, bracing herself against the onslaught as the branches protruding from her back and shoulders stood out like spines on some enormous hedgehog.

"Okay! Okay," she gasped between fits of hysterics, "I give! The unseen servant really did miss all the best places!" As Elric relented, the red-faced priestess caught her breath and slowly sat upright. "Woo! Right then... I...I think you've officially won this day, Tura. This day..." Here eyes narrowed briefly before crinkling up on the edges into a smile.

"I think we're going to need to use more drastic measures on these branches. If you cut them down to the skin, the roots are still going to be in there and I'm afraid any healing will just regrow them." Ashara sighed deeply and winced. "Just like weeds in a garden, Love... We're gonna need to pull them out by the roots. I can heal the damage afterward but I don't want these things on me anymore."

She peered down at the base of a branch growing just below her collarbone. This wasn't going to be pleasant. "Okay, let me try it first..."

Grabbing a firm hold, the priestess slowly pulled the branch from her flesh, ripping the roots out as she went. Thankfully they were shallow. It was a little like removing an arrow except less painful and less bloody.

She held up the branch and root system for Elric to see. "That wasn't so bad." She tried to keep the confidence in her voice though her eye twitched and betrayed her.

"I wonder if these things will grow in soil.... Eddick would be fascinated by this! Maybe we can bring one home to him!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:12 am

"Odds are he'd want to grow his own Ashara...." He said crinkled nose. He wasn't sure WHAT was going to grow out of the ground... but for some reason he kept thinking about a 'female Thornton'... "Personally, I like having the one and only!"

He settled back down as she sat next to him, and he proceeded to give the branches a slight tug. He flinched every time she did, but to her credit despite the obvious pain involved, she just gritted her teeth stoically. He tried to think of them as just, VERY deep splinters. They had to come out...

"As to your earlier question... " Elric said breaking the silence, and hoping for the distraction... "It's not that I don't trust the Abbess... Far from it. I just don't know her... If anything bad happens with that Artifact... I'm going to feel responsible.

"Not that I see an alternative... Anyone carrying that kind of power will be a target. We can't take it back to Impresk with us... and I don't feel 'at ease' just leaving it with... anyone." He gave another branch tug and wiped a small spot of blood from her shoulder.

"Somehow I doubt the Abbess would allow it be disassembled again... A gift that powerful for a group who needs it so bad..." Feeling her shoulders tense up in anticipation, he kissed her gently on the neck. Then pulled a branch.

"I'm just rambling I guess... Just wondering if it's really as dangerous as I imagine..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:51 am

Not surprisingly, Ashara found that the weeding wasn't nearly as bad wtih kisses involved.

"No, you're probably right to be concerned," she admitted. "I mean, with all of the magic weapons and armor and various other things that were made and stored here in Myth Drannor, the creators of the Arm believed it was too powerful for any one man to use! At least at the time... 'None are worthy so hidden let it be' the note said. If they were concerned back then about the power being misused than it would be wise for us to be so as well!"

Elric had apparently saved the thickest branch for last. With a sharp hiss through her teeth, she winced through the worst and the last of them and then uttered a quick prayer of minor healing to patch up the wounds.

"Thank you, my dear," Ashara smiled, wiping a bit of troll blood spatter from his cheek before kissing him tenderly.

There was never a dull moment to a life of adventuring... One minute you're battling some sort of dragon god avatar the next you're being pruned like an unruly hedge! It certainly kept things interesting. Exhausting too... To be constantly on your guard, watching for danger and waiting for something to spring out at you, took a level of attentiveness that couldn't be upheld indefinitely. Myth Drannor was especially bad. The eerie silence of the place seemed to enhance the feeling of impending doom.

The priestess looked to the little dragon slumped sleepily over his little pile of treasure. Poor little fella... If she were stuck here alone for years, dodging demons and worse, she'd probably be a few more marbles short today!

"Would you like to speak with the Abbess about this?" Focusing her attention once again on her husband, she rested her hands on his. "I think you're right in that she wouldn't want to give up such a powerful weapon when the Seekers could make such use of it, but if the wearer were killed out in the field and someone else got their hands on the Arm? That would be trouble... Maybe she would consent to keeping it locked away in house for the defense of the temple."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 am

Elric nodded thoughtfully.

"Yeah... I think that would help put my mind to ease. I just... I don't want another Calimport." He shuddered at the memories.

"If I heard a few years later that a city was destroyed by someone in the arm we found... I just don't know what I'd do..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:28 pm

The mere mention of the City of Glory was enough to make the young priestess flinch. It had been nearly a year since the destruction Calimport and there were still nights when she woke with the sounds of screams in her ears and the stench of acrid smoke filling her nostrils. While she may not have to answer for all those deaths when she reached the Halls of the Morning, Ashara still felt their burden. She knew she always would...and she wasn't alone.

"I would hope that the Abbess would be able to understand our concerns but I'd like to pray on the matter before we speak with her, maybe later spend some time in meditation with the Dawnstone searching for more clues as to the purpose of this Dead Magic area." Barefaced excitement glimmered in her eyes at the prospect of standing before the Endless Dawn again.

"Well, you have some time to get washed up..." Ashara chuckled and poked a finger through a ragged, elongated hole in his spun mithril shirt. It definitely held up better than cotton, but withstanding troll claws seemed to be too tall an order. "Maybe a change of clothes? Not that I mind you all bloody and torn as long as it's only your clothes that need mending!"

She smiled brightly at the half elf and moved over to the wall where her scarlet robes hung. "But If you think we need to speak with Alaecathra as soon as possible, then we'll head up to the top of the tower when you're ready. I won't take too long in prayer and we could speak with her yet tonight." Ashara removed the last of her armor and slipped on the heavy robes. 'Heavy'... After spending the last two days in platemail, the woolen winter robes felt like the sheerest Calimshite silks! Stretching her shoulders, she sighed contentedly.

"Unless you're feeling a bit peckish that is... We haven't eaten since this morning," she added as she wrapped the golden sash about her waist.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:47 am

Food is a marvelous idea..." The Heroes Feast this morning had been wonderful... but it had been a long time ago, and his stomach rumbled at the mere suggestion of food.

"As for the Abbess.. I don't see any reason to bother her right away." He tried to dismiss his nagging doubts. "Any questions or concerns I have can certainly wait till morning. In fact after they do whatever research they can tonight... She'll have a better understanding of the power..." He shrugged with uncertainty. "Maybe that'll help our case... maybe hurt it, I don't know. Wash, food, Dawnstone, seem to be the correct order in my mind!"

He went over toward the tub of clear water. He almost felt guilty knowing it was about to get a lot dirtier. Almost... Grabbing a double handful of water he splashed some into his face and wiped the grime of battle off. Which brought him back to another of Ashara's comments.

"Sooo, What do you mean bloody and torn is ok huh?" He grinned as he splashed some water on his face. "I mean... You've made no secrets about the torn shirts... But bloody?" He looked at a glop of troll blood that had dried on his arm.

"Now I'm not so sure, I want to wash this off..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 32 Empty Re: Autumn 1372

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next