The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

5 posters

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:19 pm

The priestess snickered at the memory of Elric's paranoid behavior when they discovered she was pregnant with Arturo. He'd insisted on walking with her everywhere she went in Impresk, helping her up the steps and down the steps a dozen times a day, fearing that she might trip and fall, lifting for her anything heavier than a quill...including Dawnspeaker. She'd never seen him more excited...or terrified!

It was sweet, and of course his heart was in the right place, but eventually Ashara presented him with a sort of harness, claiming that he should just strap her onto his back so she wouldn't need to set foot on the ground at all for the remaining months.

He'd gotten the picture...

"Yep, you were a basketcase, if a lovable one," she grinned as she pulled off the wraps from his battered hands. Wraps that were blood red from more than just the dye used in their creation. "You elevated being overprotective to an art form!"

Memories aside, Ashara didn't believe that all of Therogeon's 'overprotectiveness' was due to Almara's recent news. He hadn't even found out about her condition until this morning, hours after the first time he denied her access to her husband, but there was no sense in pursuing that line of thought.

"Like I said, I know he meant well. Just as he meant well when he and Eddick told Josiah that I was under the Curse..." Ashara let that particular memory hang there a moment while she inspected his hands for any breaks. After the right hand got a clean bill of health-ish-ness, she moved on to the left, peering down at him as she continued.

"How would you have reacted if our brother kept you from getting to me when you felt I was in danger? Twice...," she added. "Do you think Therogeon would forgive me if I sent him away without a word when he was trying to protect Almara? Do you think he'd care how good my intentions were?

"Don't worry," she said, trying to ease the concern creeping into his swollen green eyes, "I bear him no ill will, and I promise I have no desire to argue with the elf. It would be a waste of words anyway."

Ashara bent down more closely and she winced at his injuries again, shaking her head sympathetically. Her eyes shifted from the ruin of his nose to his own eyes as she tried to explain. "I'm able to forgive Theorgeon any hurt or offense to me as long as he remains to you a true, loyal and kind brother," she smiled sincerely. "I pray that you two will continue to be the closest friends, that he will be that constant in your life, long after I am nothing but dust..."

The painful conversation from the previous evening was suddenly refreshed in her memories, and tears began welling unbidden in her eyes. She choked them back with a sad smile. If the tears start flowing now, she knew that it would be far too long before they would stop. So much had happened over the last twenty four hours, but she couldn't let herself dwell on the cost of all that just yet!

As she looked over his now gnomish-like nose, the priestess realized that if it had been abused any more, she would have had to Regenerate it... None of her minor spells were going to fix the pulverized bone and she'd left him in pain for far longer than was comfortable.

Ashara pulled his hand to her lips and kissed it gently before laying it against her cheek.

"This is not going to feel very good, tarenamin," she warned apologetically before beginning the spell that would knit together every injury his body had taken over the last few hours.

Beads of sweat formed along her brow as she felt the power swell within her. She'd done a lot of casting today... More than she had in a long time, including two attempted Raises. It would have been draining for her under normal conditions, but pregnancy always seemed to amplify the exhaustion. No matter...there would be much more to do yet today, and tired or not, she was up to the task.

His hand still rested on her cheek but as she finished the casting, Ashara placed hers against the side of his face as much to brace herself against what would follow as to comfort him. Without hesitation she released the power like a tidal wave at the two points where they were joined, and she shared in his pain.

For just a moment everything went black. Green explosions lit behind her eyes and she remembered clearly the day old Melonhead had broken her nose... Elric's had been much, much worse. Skin burned on her arm and chest, and agony flowed through her side where her husband's kidney had been pummeled nearly to the point of liquefaction.

Then it was over.

With a groan, Ashara opened wide her glistening eyes, now realizing the true extent of the damage that had been done. She knew now how close she'd truly come to losing him.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Elric gritted his teeth and prepared for the healing. Warmth flooded through him as he could feel muscle, blood, and bone snapping back and regrowing to their natural state. Wounds that had taken hours to earn, were repaired in seconds. It was not a comfortable experience. He winced as his nose and side seemed to catch fire, but just like that the pain receded. In it's wake was just the dull echo of the wounds that had been. A reminder that would most likely be gone with the morning.

For the first time in what felt like forever, he breathed deep and easily. Carefully he sat up and flexed his newly repaired muscles. Yes... everything seemed to be back the way it should be... Though the wounds were gone... he knew the memory of today would stay with him much longer.

"What would I do without you..." he grinned up at her, hoping to deflect the conversation away from the uncomfortable topic of last night. He quickly darted in and kissed her on top of the nose. The same nose he suspected was feeling the price for healing him. He hoped every little distraction helped. Smoothly, he swung his legs over the side of the bed and shakily tried to stand. Finding no difficulty he turned back to Ashara.

"We need to get back to the tower... He didn't share his plans with me at the time... Hmmm at least I don't think he did." Elric shook his head as he tried to think back to the dungeon they'd just left. "He'd found some magical items he'd wanted to go back for... Thornton was in pretty rough shape... I THOUGHT he said he was out of Teleporting magic, but he must have been holding out on me if I'm here now..." A sad look crossed the half-dragon's face, as he looked to a chalk drawn portrait on a shelf with so many others. Ashara had captured the look of the old elf perfectly.

"I want to bring Alagian's body back here..." he said softly. "He may not deserve a decent burial... but I owe it to his father to see it happen. Someday... Someday, I'll have to tell Eldorath what happened... It's... not going to be a very good day."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Once Ashara caught her breath from the wave of pain that had washed over her, she turned to Elric with a thoughtful look playing across her features.

"Maybe you should consider searching out your old teacher sooner rather than later," she said gently as she adjusted her seat on the edge of the freshly bloodstained bed. "I'd imagine he would prefer to hear the news from your mouth...the truth of it, instead of from someone without all the facts."

She watched the clouds roll over his eyes and she started backpedaling a bit.

"Just something to consider... The decision is yours alone and I'll help you in any way you might need, but I'll speak no more on the matter."

As much as she wanted to ask about the fight, Ashara decided he'd discuss it when he was ready. She couldn't imagine how conflicting it must have been to know he was battling Eldorath's son, but then again, if he was the man behind the attacks last night and the one responsible for all those deaths, maybe it wasn't so conflicting after all.

There had been talk about her Reading his memory of the events, but after feeling just a shadow of the pain he must have experienced there below the tower, she wasn't terribly excited to do a Memory Read, and she was even LESS excited to make him relive it all again...

"We COULD head over to the tower right now," she said, a lopsided grin breaking across what had just been a very solemn face, "but I'm not sure the children are ready to see you covered in char and blood just yet. Perhaps you...both of us I guess," she realized looking down at her muddy and bloody robe, "should get cleaned up a bit before we go back."

She reached into the pitcher of blood tinged water and removed the cloth, ringing it out.

"I was expecting that you might be in too much residual pain to be able to wash yourself, so I was prepared to see to the duty personally." Ashara's eyes sparkled with a mischievous glint as she balled up the wet cloth and tossed it to her husband.

"However, my impatient patient," she chuckled, "it seems you're doing quite well on your own and as you can imagine, I am in such a rush to get back to the tower!"

With a teasing, exasperated sigh, the priestess stood and moved over to the closet to retrieve another robe.

"If you think Therogeon and Thornton may yet have need of you, than we shouldn't delay any longer than necessary. Almara will no doubt be in contact with him and if nothing else, he'll at least be relieved to know that you are well."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:56 am

Elric caught the wet cloth. He shook his head and slowly grinned. "Curse that impatience..." he said with an exaggerated sigh. "Next time, I'll be sure to recover a little slower..." he added with a wink.

As he rinsed out the cloth again, he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. "Whoa... Yeah... you weren't joking. I wouldn't want the kids to see me like this..." The wounds were gone and the bleeding had stopped but between the ash and the blood... half-dragon, elven, and demon alike... Elric looked like something out of a nightmare. Quietly he murmured, "I don't ever want them to see me like this..."

With the picture books and the stories, the children had already started hearing about their parent's 'legends'. The twins were still fairly young, but Arturo was starting to make the connections between the pictures in the books, and his parents and various 'uncles and aunts.' The stories had been altered to make them safe for the innocent children... and Elric wasn't ready for them to be aware of the harsh reality their parents lived in... the blood, the killing, the hardship... Let them focus on the heroics and the joy. Maybe when they were a little older... maybe never!

As he finished he looked himself over in the mirror. With a clean pair of pants, he held up a new shirt and sighed. As the only one who waded into combat without clothes made of metal, Elric's propensity for losing clothes was something of a running joke amongst his family and friends. However, This was the third shirt he'd put on in less than a day. The joke was quickly losing it's humor!

"I swear..." He muttered loudly. "If anything happens to THIS one, I'm not putting on another shirt this week! Alturiak or NOT..." Cleaned and dressed, he held his arms out for Ashara's appraisal. "What do you think... More presentable?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:44 am

The priestess finished pulling the clean white robes over her head and smoothed them down lovingly over the bump in her midsection. She'd made an attempt to wash the blood from her hair and managed to get most of it, considering it a blessing that the auburn color did much to disguise the all-too-frequent occurrence.

It didn't even bother her anymore. As long as they were healed and well, all the blood and gore didn't even phase her and that minor fact disturbed her more than a little... It had to be that way. The Champions wouldn't have made it past Mistletoe Keep if they'd been squeamish at the sight of their own blood. They almost didn't make it out anyway. At the thought of that ghoulish encounter, Ashara's hand instinctively went to the onyx pendant around her neck.

Turning as Elric addressed her, she laughed aloud at his frustrated vow, and approached him with an appraising eye. She circled him once, making clicking sounds with her tongue and shaking her head in mock disapproval, making a great show of 'hmmm'ing' and tapping her finger to pursed lips as she assessed the handsome half dragon.

"I suppose it'll have to do... Barely presentable, but acceptable I guess," the woman grinned up at him.

Maybe it was a coping mechanism learned over the years, but somehow they could always manage to find a place of levity and joy in the midst of great tragedy. It was either that or lose themselves entirely in despair. There had been a few close calls... Calimport. Kaimelithil. Adventuring was so much more than simply overcoming physical obstacles! Sometimes the emotional ones were just as treacherous.

There was a definite hint of wickedness that found its way into that gleam in her eye just then, and Ashara stepped in closer, running her hand up Elric's chest.

A great ripping sound proceeded her teasing gasp as the priestess' fingers found the seam at his shoulder and pulled, opening a sizable hole in his new shirt.

She looked up at him with large eyes, successfully stifling the smile that tried creeping onto her face. A single eyebrow raised in blatant challenge.

"Oops..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Elric's eyes went wide as another shirt was ruined. "You... I just... I... Oops?!?" He stammered in shock. Finally he just shook his head and laughed.

"Okay then..." He took the torn shirt off and tossed it behind him. He tried keep his face stern, but that wasn't one of Elric's skills. The illusion was completely ruined by the twitch of a smile he couldn't suppress, and the laughter in his eyes. He picked up Therogeon's staff. He couldn't remember the last time he saw the mage without it, and the idea of him alone in the dungeon didn't sit well with him. "First... we'll go track down our wayward mage, I imagine he's missing this... Then after everyone is safe and sound, my vandalous wife, you can tear as many shirts as you like!"

He reached over and picked up a heavy woolen cloak. He pulled her close and threw the cloak over both their shoulders. "Until then, you get to help me stay warm on the way to the tower!"

Last edited by Elric on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:45 pm

"By your own oath, I don't think there will be any need for more...accidents...for the rest of the week, so your shirts at least should be safe," Ashara chuckled happily as she snaked an arm around his waist, "and I know that you're a man of your word!"

The playful grin on her face as they headed out together left no doubt in Elric's mind that she would hold him to that oath...and enjoy every minute of it!

As they descended the stairs and passed the training room, Ashara's mind was pulled back to the losses her husband hadn't been made aware of yet. Perrimar and Talgan, his two youngest students. Her shoulders slumped a bit, knowing that she'd have to break the news once Therogeon and Thornton were safely home. She didn't relish the thought...

To ward off the chill she felt in her heart, she pulled Elric closer as the pair made their way to the Tower of Probation.

The walk wasn't a long one, and Ashara somehow managed to keep her charge warm without needing to resort to spells.

When they arrived, they found that Adraikthul, poor fellow, was still on door duty. Gracious as always, the young mageling greeted them, all the more quickly after recognizing his master's staff in the warrior's hands, and then alerted Almara to the return of the Everdawns as they were welcomed in. Also his credit, or perhaps because he simply didn't want to know, the boy didn't inquire as to why Lord Elric would be shirtless in such cold weather...

Seeing the confusion in the his eyes, Ashara snickered as she led Elric back to the staircase. She'd had her fill of being teleported around today and had no desire to use the rune that would take them directly to the library. Actually, she wasn't completely certain if they'd work considering her earlier imprisonment.

A gentle knock alerted the library occupants to visitors before they pushed open the door.

Last edited by Ashara on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 Empty Thornton

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:24 am

Thornton always considered himself lucky. At least, ever since master had called him that on more than one occasion. When he found out what it meant, it seemed to play itself out in his life more often than not. The fact that he had survived this long in a world that was much beyond him, the fact that he, being mere brambles was able to defeat monsters and demons and save humanoid live or even take them, was simply beyond comprehension at times.

It seemed however that he was not good at dice. Thornton did not know the rules of the game very well, since he only rolled when Therogeon told him to do so. But it seemed that every time he did, the mage would be a bit of a contradiction. He would say something positive, but his face would always be slightly upset. Thornton thought that he was not doing it correctly, and would mimic the mage's movements as best he could, but even then, it was confusing, because every now and then, he would be genuinely happy at the way that Thornton rolled, and when he did the same thing the next time, he would be upset again.

He let his mind wander to get away from the awkward situation. It was at least nice that Therogeon had decided to stay with him. That made him happy. Normally he was left alone for long periods of time. He did not mind that too much, especially when he was outside, and could feel the sun and the dirt under his feet, he would inspect the grass and trees around him and see how they were doing. But being left underground was no good. There was nothing to look at, nothing living about him, no weather, no sun. At least he had the mage here. Although it was pretty plain if he had not gotten his leg nearly chopped off, they would have left already.

And so Thornton dropped back into his melancholy attitude.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 Empty Almara

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 am

The wizardess welcomed the Everdawns back with a smile. She was happy to see that Lord Elric was in fact alive and well, though for the life of her she couldn't even begin to fathem why he didn't have a shirt on.

"Therogeon is rememorizing spells and attempting to teach Thornton how to play dice. It seems that the golem is fairly good at it.

"He will be happy to know that you are alright Lord Elric. And as you can see, your children are....quite well", she grinned.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Elric chuckled to himself at Almara's perplexed look. He had a feeling he'd be explaining his 'wardrobe' a lot over the next week. Oh well... Let her wonder! He didn't feel like starting the explanations already.

The state of the children was a bit of a disappointment however. He had been looking forward to seeing them, but apparently playing with the color changing puppy had wore them right out. The Everdawnlings were sprawled all over the library and in positions that the made their father wince. How they could sleep that comfortably, that twisted, he couldn't fathom. Looking at Arturo hanging off a chair, he could only imagine the aches he'd awaken with if 'he'd' tried sleeping that way... Ahh the joys of youth!

Still... if they were asleep, let them sleep. The hippogriffs will still be around when they wake. Besides, he may still have work to do!

"How much longer does he have to study for? Is he and Thornton going to clear the rest of it without me... or are you able to send me back to him?" He handed her the mages staff. "I don't think there's anymore danger... but I'm not comfortable with him being separated from this..."

Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Almara took the staff and gently laid it against the wall. "Yes, he told me about the staff. I'm afraid right now it won't do him any good. He umm, well he had to render it un operational to bring you back. It won't work again for even the smallest function for about a month."

She again looked quizically at the warriors bare chest, "As for the other, I can send you back if you want. Therogeon didn't know how long he was going to be rememorizing spells and clearing the rest of the place of..how did he put it...'neat trinkets'."

Almara leaned against the wall, she was obviously tired after being up all night. "Still, if you wish it I can send you back...well, at least to the outside. You know, anti-teleport sheild and all." She half grinned.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:08 am

Elric was quiet for a moment as he thought the situation through... He felt a pang of guilt that Therogeon had sacrificed his favorite tool of choice to help him... though he suspected his wife felt a touch of gratification at the revelation. That thought caused a slight grin. He knew she'd been angry at the unceremonious dismissal earlier. If he hadn't done that, she'd have been on hand for healing, and he'd still have his staff at full power. Still the staff would be fine in time, and as long as the mage didn't come to any harm... there was no harm in a little victory.

"What's Therogeon's opinion on the matter? Does he want a little help down there, or is he fine as is?" He was pretty sure Alagian had been the last surprise waiting for them, but the idea of the mage sitting alone engrossed in his books with just a crippled golem by his side made him uneasy.

"Let him know, I'm back in fighting form... and if he wants the help, and you have the ability to get me there... I'm ready to see this through to the end."

He watched Almara's attention seem to shift as he assumed she was in contact with the master mage. His eyes got wide as he interrupted with an after thought. "Ohh! Let him know... I want Alagian's body brought back! Whether I'm there to do it or not... I want him buried properly...." His voice took on a sorrowful tone and he didn't offer Almara any further explanation but squeezed Ashara's hand.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 Empty Therogeon

Post  MrPrettyPretty Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:00 am

The wizard nodded as he communicated with Almara, "If he wants to come back that's fine. I could always use a couple strong arms to help carry stuff." He grinned.

"Of course I will make sure that the body comes back, even if he doesn't come. I understand completely." Therogeon nodded to himself as he flipped a page in one of his books. If Elric came back he wouldn't have to memorize as many spells just in case something else was waiting for them.

"Oh, and see if Ashara has a spell she can imbue with Elric unless she wants to come too, for healing Thornton. The poor thing has been through alot just to help us and unfortunitely due to it's unique nature, there is nothing I can do at the moment to help him."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Before the wizardess even had a chance to finish relaying her message, Ashara was over in the corner of the library where she'd left her things, pulling on her chain mail.

There was no doubt in her mind that Elric would go back to assist Therogeon given the choice. If someone could use his help, he would be there without hesitation. It's just the kind of person he was! For her part, Ashara wouldn't be able to help Thornton remotely and she was loathe to let Elric out of her sight yet again...

"I'm not able to Imbue for a third time today," she explained as she was suiting up. "Even if I could, the Imbue doesn't allow that powerful of a spell to be transferred."

Once she was attired in her glowing...slightly holey (not holy) armor, Ashara shouldered her gear and moved back over to her companions.

"If I can assist Thornton, than I would like to go as well if you have the ability and energy to send us both." The exhaustion displayed on Almara's face had not escaped the priestess' notice. In fact, a large part of her echoed those sentiments...

Last edited by Ashara on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 Empty Dhara

Post  Penelope Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:04 pm

The young girl sighed as she carried the platter full of food toward the library. After cleaning up the undead mess behind the Champions' house, she and her cousin Dhala were called back to the tower to attend other duties.

The Mistress asked her to fix some lunch for the children and of course she obeyed, though not without a bit of silent grumbling. Dhara wanted to be studying magic, not playing janitor or making food for a bunch of toddlers! They were Lord Everdawn's children she realized, and her frustrated sigh became more of a girlish one. Plus, at least she hadn't been the one asked to clean up the pus in the kitchen!

She wondered how much longer the two masters would be away, battling the ones who were responsible for Tarpin's death! Thankfully the Sunrise Lord was able to bring her friend back to them, but Dhara still felt that there was justice to be served in his case!

Knocking softly before entering, the mageling pushed open the door and her eyes went wide when she saw the unexpected Lord Everdawn standing there... Shirtless. Looking. Right. At. Her.

Dhara squeaked.

There was very little else she could manage at that moment, besides squeaking and trying not to upend the platter and make a complete fool of herself in front of everyone!

"Ahhh, welcome back my lord," she managed to spit out, before quickly adding, "and you too of course, Lady Everdawn!"

Dhara did not at all appreciate the knowing grin on the lady's face. It was like she could see right through her and it made the girl quite uncomfortable... Impossibly, her blush seemed to deepen even further.

"Mistress Almara, I brought...um..."

By Mystra he was distracting!

"For the children..."

Why wasn't he properly clothed?

"You wanted?"

Not that she was about to complain about it...

"Food!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Elric scowled as Ashara approached them. With his finger he reached out and traced the new damage to the magical armor. The cuts were clean and the softly glowing chain links were severed smooth. Whatever this sword was their lost ranger had used... it was potent. It was one thing to hear about an epic battle after the fact. He knew she had been scared of the fight, but the danger was passed, she was healed, and the only blood she'd carried on her had been his own. Faced with new evidence his concern was obvious. "I'm going to want to hear everything..." he said simply. Now may not be the time... but they would certainly talk about Aretis.

He had no illusions that Ashara would be staying behind this time. He'd been out of her sight three times in the last half a day. Between what 'Marstine' had done... the PLAGUE... and then nearly beaten to death, He suspected it'd be a while before she'd agree to let him go off on his own...

It really had been a lousy day....

Suddenly he saw one of Therogeon's young students appear through the door behind Ashara. The fact he couldn't remember her name annoyed him a bit. He'd seen her around a couple of times. One of the 'D's' he thought. Usually she looked like she just run up a flight of stairs and today was no different. Red faced and fairly twitchy, Elric doubted she'd ever live up to the Master mages strict requirements. As she addressed the group blatantly tripping over her words, he was a little surprised she hadn't already been sent away. Still Therogeon's school was Therogeon's school. The warrior wouldn't want anyone making suggestions about his own choice of students... The elf must see 'some' potential in her.

He crossed the room quickly and took the tray of snacks and sandwiches from her before she dropped it, hoping to either avoid making a mess or worse... waking the children.

"I got it..." He said quietly and set it down on a nearby table. A disturbing thought occurred to him suddenly. "I DO hope the kitchen has been rendered plague free???" He quickly dismissed the thought with a shake of his head.

Looking at the plate of food, he wondered who this girl was planning on feeding!! WAY too much food for just the three toddlers and Almara... even if she WAS eating for two now... So with a smirk and hoping to dispel any doubts to their safety, he snatched one for himself. He hadn't realized how hungry he was... A lot had happened since their pre-dawn breakfast. Between the plague and the beating... He was famished. Not to mention the healing... For some reason massive healing always made him hungry.

"They're very good..." He nodded and mumbled to the young mage with his mouth full, and offered one to Ashara.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:06 pm

The acting head of the school looked to Dhara. The poor girl was making a fool of herself. Not that she could really be blamed. Lord Elric was an attractive figure, all muscles and chisled good looks. And why he was walking around shirtless...in this month of all times...was beyond her. Still, she knew an accidental squeek was really only the precurser to further embarressment on her part.

"Thank you Dhara my dear. Please, go back to your studies." She watched with a small smile as the blushing teenager left. Then she turned towards the Everdawn's. Her smile turned into a sad frown.

"I am sorry," she started, "But I can only take one." She held up her arms to forstall arguing. "And not by any order of Therogeon's. I am not strong enough to teleport two people with me at once." She smiled a bit reufully, "and try as I might, I can only ever seem to retain two teleport spells in memory at one time." She held up one finger, "One to get there," a second finger went up, "And one to come back."

Almara got a slightly mischevious look to her eyes, "If you all will permit me, I would suggest that I take Ashara with me." She grinned, "First off if there is any more healing to be done, she is obviously the best person for the choice. Second, it might remind lord high and mighty that just because he is extremly smarter then us he doesn't get to make decisions for us based on his opinions."

She smiled sadly at Ashara, "I am sorry for before. I would have unlocked the door for you if I could have. His library and our bedroom are the only rooms in the tower he can lock without being around."
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Gahh... Elric grimaced. That wasn't the way this was supposed to work... Unfortunately, he didn't have much say in the ways of magic, and he had even less to contribute to them. If the mage said they couldn't both go... then there it was. Doubly annoying was that the points Almara made were excellent ones. She was the healer, and he was the fighter... The fighting was done, now it was her turn. Besides the idea of Almara standing up to Therogeon brought a smile to his face. All this calling him Master, couldn't be healthy! He gave his wife a grin and just shrugged his shoulders.

"Ok then... If you want it, I guess it's your turn... You get to go on the adventure and 'I'll' stay locked in the magical tower." He tried to remember what else to warn her about. He was pretty sure all the dangers were taken care of now. "There were two golems down there that I broke really good... but they shot out gas too... I'm not 100% sure they're destroyed... If they're still broke, they should be easy to dodge... if they've fixed themselves somehow..." he was quiet for a moment letting the threat just hang there. "It was a rough battle and Therogeon didn't do much... so I don't know if magic even works...

"Other than that and a few traps... It should be safe enough. You just come back to me in better shape then I've been coming back to you today..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 am

Ashara was shaking her head in disagreement between bites of the sandwich she was trying to force down her throat.

"If you want to remind Therogeon that friends should be treated as such, please feel free," she said to Almara after swallowing the last bite. "He might have centuries to learn that wisdom, but some of us don't have that kind of time. As I mentioned earlier though, that's a conversation for another day...

"If you fear that his actions will affect my relationship with either of you, please don't! Master Taldavar and I have been through far too much to let such a petty thing come between us, and I have high hopes of forging such a bond with you too, my dear," she added honestly with an affectionate smile.

That did not mean that she didn't want to show Theorgeon the right cross she'd picked up from all the Memory Reads. It just meant that she wouldn't.

At that thought, Ashara briefly wondered if the many trips into Elric's mind were making her want to hit things more... Yet another reason she needed a female friend! There was just WAY too much testosterone flying around Impresk these days, and it was obviously taking its toll!

She shook her head again and chuckled to herself, lifting her hand to rest it comfortably on her husband's broad shoulder.

"While I appreciate your suggestion to take me along, Almara, I've had a previously learned lesson powerfully reinforced for me today," the priestess smiled warmly. "Elric and I work best as a team, and if there is a choice...and there is," she added with a grin, "then I will always choose to have him at my side.

"I have a Transport Via Plant spell yet available to me today. I can use that to get myself to the tower while you kindly Teleport Lord Everdawn once I get there. The children will be fine for the brief moments it will take you to get there and back again. When we're done, Therogeon should have no problem bringing us all home together."

With her alternative solution presented for discussion, Ashara looked up at the half dragon with a smile playing at her lips.

"I'd rather not lock you away in the magical tower unless you prefer it, Melamin. The only issue I can forsee is that you're hardly dressed for the occasion..."

She couldn't suppress a gentle laugh at that point, and she shot Elric a wink.

"I do however have ways to keep you warm in the coldest of weather!"

Last edited by Ashara on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 am

Elric blinked... twice. A laugh escaped his lips a little louder than intended. As Arturo started to stir, he stifled it down to a low chuckle. "Yes... Yes you do! Let's just keep the temperature 'comfortable'. I'd like to think I've left more than enough sweat down there for ONE day..." He gave her a mischievous look. " I know we can have difference of opinion on what is TOO HOT..."

"Okay then!" he said with an adventurous glint in his eye. "Now that we have THAT settled, Everyone goes... we get our wayward mage and broken golem... and we get back here as soon as possible.

"I'm down to one Whisper... and I lost track of yours. So we'll be watching on the mirror and join you as soon as our lady mage thinks it's safe." Elric tried to keep the concern out of his voice. He wasn't a big fan of teleportation spells to begin with, but at least he knew Therogeon was skilled in the art. He'd never traveled with Almara before. He had no reason to doubt her ability, and it was Therogeon's idea... but still a little uneasy.

"Last time we went right to the tower and found a demon waiting... I don't have any idea what's between the trees and the tower... so be careful... They knew we were coming before, anything could be out there."

Last edited by Elric on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 pm

As Elric finished speaking, the wizardess was nodding her agreement.

"Excellent! Well, I should be off then so we can get this plan in motion! I'll be careful, though I've been through that valley once already today and didn't see anything, but I suppose that doesn't guarantee my safety this time!"

It really wasn't the valley below the tower that she was nervous about going to again...it was walking back behind their house here in Impresk! Her smile faltered a bit at the thought of retracing those steps, but she recovered and hoped neither of her companions noticed.

"Besides, you'll both be watching over me, so I have nothing to worry about!"

Ashara moved over to the half elf and pulled her in for a hug. "Thanks, and be gentle with him," she whispered just loudly enough for Elric to hear. "He gets a little nauseous just thinking about teleports!"

She turned to go and pulled the heavy woolen cloak off the back of a chair.

"Mind if I take this along with me?" she asked of the half dragon as she gestured to the scarlet bundle resting on the top of one of the bookshelves. "Mine is serving a greater purpose for the moment..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Elric's eyebrow shot up at the odd request. First the shirt, now the cloak... she was serious about this game! Following her eyes to the familiar red cloak stored up high he understood what the 'greater purpose' was. His curiosity nagged at him to take a look at the horrible blade, but he fought it back. He'd never risk peaking the children's interest if they were all going to teleport away. Almara would only be gone a moment... but with these three... a moment was PLENTY of time to cause mischief. No... If Ashara had her way, that would be destroyed in the morning, and he get a glimpse of what all the talk was about. Leave it where it is an hope nobody under five feet tall ever notices it.

He sighed an exaggerated sigh. "If you must, you must..." He took the cloak and spun it over her shoulders and secured it. "There we go... Personally I like the red better...'' he teased. "but whatever does the job."

One more kiss for luck and he watched the library door shut behind her. Already he could feel the nervous energy causing a twitch in his hands. It was a rare situation where one of them watched the other go off into potential trouble. It was ESPECIALLY Rare that HE was the one staying behind. Sitting down in the nice safe library, his respect for Ashara rose again. He didn't know how she did it! Staying behind, even for a little bit! Sitting in the stands at tournaments watching him fight... He wasn't sure he'd be able to be so calm if the situations were reversed.

When he looked at Almara he noticed she didn't say anything, but gave him a sympathetic look. She hadn't done much adventuring with them before... This was still new to her. Sighing once again he grinned over to the wizardess hoping to put both their nerves to rest. "So let's see this mirror..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:30 am

Ashara walked back to the copse of trees at a brisk pace. She didn't stop to look at the spatters of blood among the bare trees in the melting snow, or the ash scattered about. Someone had done a decent job of cleaning the area of the evidence, but for those that knew what to look for...it was hard to miss the scene of the fight. Shuddering, she continued toward the pines, wondering which of the many events over the last few hours would have her waking in a cold sweat this night... Wondering which new nightmare would wake Elric... A shake of her auburn hair scattered the dark thoughts for the time being and she pressed onward.

Mr. Nutters, at least that's what Eddick called him on occasion, was chattering angrily at the priestess as she tromped through his home. A good sign. Hopefully the undead threat truly had passed and while she still planned later to do a sweep of the area to be sure, the territorial squirrel certainly had her breathing a sigh of relief!

Without wasting any more time, she stepped through the pine tree and appeared over four hundred miles away in the small valley below the ruined tower of Semerot.

It must have been at a significant elevation, for the air was much thinner here than back at home. Cold and windswept, the tower had been built in a very desolate area, but some wizards didn't much like company she supposed... Looking up at the ridge before her, she could just make out a thin, winding path that meandered its way up the wall face. She sighed a mildly frustrated sigh and pulled out a bit of thistledown, stuffing a piece of it into each boot. A few whispered words sent her walking 'uphill' through empty air toward the ruins. Maybe she could technically have made it up that path without spell usage, but between the thin layer of snow on the ground here and her compromised agility, she REALLY didn't want to add falling off a cliff face to the list of horrors today! She was quite sure Elric would appreciate that...

After finishing the slow journey to the top of the cliff , Ashara landed gently and a goodly distance away from the dark and forbidding hole. Certainly it was safe. Therogeon and Thornton were down there after all, but it was slightly creepy to be standing on the edge of a dark pit and just letting your imagination run wild while you wait for your companions!

Her eyes drifted down to the the sliver of willow bark resting in her palm, ready to activate the Control Temperature spell. She grinned again remembering Elric's remarks back in the library. It was true. She had far more fun than she ought with that spell, slowly turning up the temperature degree by degree just to see how warm she could make it before he noticed. Sometimes she got the sense that he noticed far sooner than he would let on...

Better to start the spell now, she decided, placing the bark between her teeth. It hadn't even been a week yet since he'd gotten over his last cold after that panicked run through the wintry streets of Impresk, and Ashara didn't want him to have to go through it all again because of her little prank!

An icy gust of wind stole the divine words as they left her lips, and the temperature around her began rising rapidly. Hopefully Almara would bring them in close enough to never have to feel the cold!

As she waited for their arrival, the priestess took in her surroundings. Encircled by snow capped mountains on all sides and with the wind scouring most of the soil from the stone, even the scraggly pines in the valley below were having a difficult time managing life here. The only sound she could hear was the howling of the wind blowing over the black pit which led below. It was easy to imagine herself completely alone.

Desolate was a good description of this place...
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:31 am

Elric sat on the edge of his watching Ashara make her way through Impresk and navigate (quite ingeniously) the cliff. Any minute he expected another warning from his ring. How she had sat in this same spot and watched him fight the demon who killed the hippogriff parents was beyond him. Remembering the little foals brought a smile to his face as he looked over at his own young ones.

He couldn't wait to introduce them to Wildfire... He was already claiming the more curious and impulsive one as his own. He was sure Therogeon wouldn't mind... the mage had never quite enjoyed flying as much as Elric had... Something about the wind through his hair and free from the confines of Gravity... He loved every minute in the air. Soon they wouldn't be dependent on the livelihood of Bees... They had a difficult time with the winter. Eddick always made more... but it was a little difficult getting attached to insects... regardless of size. Soon they could fly whenever they wanted. Perhaps it was a half-dragon thing, though that wouldn't explain the grin on Ashara's face or the light in her eyes when she flew... Certainly the mage would prefer the milder one. He wondered if his friend had decided on any names...

Suddenly it was time. Ashara was there, had cast the spell (it was rare he actually 'saw' her cast that spell...) He bounced to his feet and turned to Almara. The wizardess was already casting and reaching out to touch his shoulder. He gave one more look towards the sleeping children and barely had time to wonder if leaving them alone in Therogeon's library was a prudent thing to do. Then they were gone.

The world spun and stopped suddenly and Elric stumbled a bit before the freezing air shocked him to his senses. Ashara was about Thirty feet away and he knew the spell didn't reach near that far. They both walked over toward the waiting priestess, Elric perhaps a little more quickly than Almara.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:43 am

As soon as the pair appeared on the ledge, Ashara hurried over to meet them, throwing the borrowed woolen cloak around Elric's shoulders and pulling it closed tightly. Doubtful he'd need it long if he chose to stay within the ten foot bubble of 'High Noon at Midsummer Festival' that existed around the priestess at that moment, but maybe it would help ward off that initial icy blast!

After a quick word of thanks, Almara began her casting again and disappeared back to the tower in Impresk. Apparently she was as concerned as the Everdawns about leaving those three toddlers in the library...

Smart woman!

She'd been impressed by the way the wizardess had been managing the children today. Therogeon had chosen wisely to be sure! Now if the priestess could just convince him to set a date...

"Well, Astalder," Ashara began as they neared the stairs, "would you like to lead the way, or would you have your helpless, pregnant wife descend into the pit of blackness first?"

Peering over the edge with a forced shudder, she looked up at Elric and batted her eyelashes innocently. Even managed to get a little lip quiver in there before a grin broke free of the restraints! Terrible poker face...
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 12 Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next