The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

5 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:38 am

Elric laughed at her antics. He snapped his feet together and gave an exaggerated bow. "As M'lady wishes! Stick close and I'll light the path..." He started down into the darkness and stopped as his infravision activated. "Whoa..." He held one hand up and tapped his Dispelled Holy symbol. The only light showing was from the soft moonlight of Ashara's enchanted Chain Mail. "Hmmm... Forgot about that. The dead magic area where I fought Alagian... kind of broke the light!" He was hardly concerned. If he'd learned one thing being married to a Morninglord these years, light was rarely an issue. This time he simply drew their family sword. One of it's seldom used powers was to bathe the area around them in the soft light of dawn.

Thus illuminated they headed down the stairs, Elric giving a running commentary on everything the mirror hadn't shown her.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Ashara's playfulness ebbed as she followed the half dragon further into the lower level. She'd been trying not to dwell on the recent events, but down here it was difficult to think of much else. The senseless waste of life. The loss of friends and very nearly the loss of family as well! For what?!

Too tired for anger at this point, it was sadness that weighted her heart this time. Five funerals... Five grieving families... One horror-struck community.

The gentle crimson light of the Everdawn blade teased her thoughts to the happier memories surrounding its creation. Considering the ever present glowing holy symbols worn by Elric and herself, it was rare she had the chance to see it! It was so much more than a weapon... The magical sword had been their first creation together, with Arturo to follow shortly after. That brought the smile back to her face! Deciding to savor that small measure of joy, she kept her medallion tucked under her armor for the time being.

Elric warned of the golems ahead as they pushed open the huge oaken doors. They were easy enough to avoid. They lurched forward slowly from their positions, dragging their enormous broken legs behind them in an attempt to get to the intruders. After waiting for the iron monstrosities to get a good distance from the door on the opposite side of the room, the pair skirted around them, sticking close to the walls and well out of range of the poisonous gas they spewed every few moments.

As she passed one of the golems, Ashara couldn't help but notice the fist-sized dents in the solid iron body... Solid iron! Her eyes widened in disbelief as they moved through the doorway into the hallway beyond, where she caught up Elric's hand in her own.

"What you are able to do..." A gentle shake of her head reflected the awe in her voice. She'd seen him break stone before of course, but to take down iron golems with his fists? The enchanted wraps may have allowed Elric to affect the powerful magical constructs, but to DENT it without shattering every bone in his hand? That had nothing to do with the items and everything to do with the man that weilded them. "Truly amazing! It's certainly no less impressive than manipulating or channeling magic... I hope you know that. More so in many ways!"

Ashara smiled and squeezed his scarred hand. "Lle naa...saimaite, vernoamin..." It was a massive understatement that neither her comprehension of Elvish or Common could rectify, but she left the compliment at that. She didn't want to embarrass him but she was never one to let an opportunity to bolster his self-esteem pass her by!

After suffering through all the praise over the last years, anyone else would have become completely narcissistic by this point.

"Speaking of golems," she said, looking down the dimly lit hallway toward the three doorways, "in which direction does ours lie? At least we know poor Thornton isn't in pain!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Elric was glad the rosy light of the sword was there to cover the rosy tint of his ears. After all these years and after all he's done... Defeating Alagian being fresh in his mind... He still wasn't good at taking a heartfelt compliment. Being down in these corridors again forced him see things with different eyes... Alagian was the best fighter he'd ever even seen... All the talent of Eldorath, but the speed and power of an elf still in his prime. Truly amazing...

Elric couldn't believe HE had been the one to walk away... and that was just one of the challenges down here. As Elric pointed out the traps and the golems and told the story the best he could recall, he could hear the astonishment in Ashara's voice. Therogeon and himself had truly achieved some accomplishments...Thornton too. Maybe this would make a good song... but he didn't know if he really wanted to remember this day... Not like that.

The trail through the long disused tower was easy to follow, and soon they arrived at the door with the man and child playing. He stopped and looked at it for a moment.. "We didn't actually get through this one yet..." He was quiet as he mentally worked the pathway in his mind and then pointed to the previously hidden western door "There's a round-a-bout tunnel through there that SHOULD take us right to the other side of this room... It wasn't trapped, but I don't know what's in it. Let's get it on the way back after we get Therogeon."

They walked through the laboratory with the magical chest of supposed treasure. Past the crunchy carapaces of the swarm of bugs, and into the room where they met the demons... There where he'd left him was Thornton who looked up creepily with that tilted faceless head and next to him sat the Master mage of Impresk.

"Are you two QUITE ready to get out of here?" He said with a grin.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 Empty Thornton

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Thornton paused in mid dice throw and turned his head to where Elric and Ashara came in. He was glad that they had come! He tried not to appear too excited, but he was always happy to see them. With the mention of getting out of this place and to see the land of the living once again, he was all but ready to drag himself out of there.

Since they had the time to wait, Thornton had stitched his leg up a bit, but it still needed a good weaving before behaving properly. He needed some sun and some rain and perhaps a good spell or two from Master before it would work again. He had his head chopped off in a fight against a Orog, and that took near a month to get working right again. For the rest of the day, since master was out of spells, he had to carry his head, and actually placed it between his knees so he could fire his crossbow. Once he got the adjustment figured out, he still was able to make some use out of himself.

He waved at them, and if he were able to smile, he would have. Ashara looked more radiant than ever, now that she had gone to seed. Whenever she was in the room, Thornton felt like he was outside. Especially since Elric was near her. For some reason she seemed all the brighter, as he chased her clouds away.

Thornton hopped over, ready to receive any more instructions. He tried to look as mobile as possible, since he did not wish to be left behind again.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Blood everywhere...

It was the first thing that registered.

Blood in the hallway. Blood in the doorway. A large pool of tacky blood in the middle of the room, that looked as if something had been dragged through it. Something or somONE, Ashara realized as the drag marks lead right to where Thornton had just been lying...

Therogeon was sitting, nose in his spellbook, looking as if he was just finishing up some memorization as the golem hopped over.

Ever since Calimport, when they'd all worked together to aid the citizens of the city after the devastation wrought by the Most Hated Wyrm, Ashara began to have a much better appreciation of the golem. Not that she completely understood him... Not that she could explain the things he could do, but she'd begun to believe at that point that Thornton was more 'person' than 'golem'. During their time helping to break the siege at Evereska those beliefs were confirmed.

He...not it...had feelings and desires! Thornton enjoyed serving but that was not all he was capable of. He enjoyed listening to music, hearing stories... He was no mindless automaton to be certain, and could in fact delegate responsibilities to the straw men that Eddick would create!

No, she might not truly understand him, but she truly appreciated him and his willingness to be of help!

"It's good to see you in one piece Thornton," the priestess grinned up at him before kneeling to inspect his leg more closely. "Let's see if we can't get this limb working a bit more adequately for you!"

Ashara began rubbing her hands together rapidly, then with a soft breath, she blew what appeared to be rosy light onto her warmed hands. When she laid those illuminated hands onto Thornton's leg, the thorny vines began knitting themselves more firmly together. It wasn't completely secure, but it would do for the time being.

She rose to her feet and checked him over a bit more. It was much more difficult to see certain damage on a thorn golem than a humanoid body, but she did notice the scorch marks on his bloodied tabard. Not fire, but what looked to be electrical burns...

"Hmm...seems like you've been through as much as the other two boys," she smiled sympathetically. "I'm afraid I'm more used to knitting flesh than plants, but I can do a little something for you I think."

Pulling the glowing holy symbol from beneath her chainmail, Ashara gently pressed her hand against Thornton's chest. The vines seemed to strengthen and the blacked bits sluffed off to reveal new healthy plant beneath. Again, it wasn't much, but it would do for the time being.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:33 am

The priestess smiled as Thornton looked himself over.

"I'll be better prepared to help heal you tomorrow if Eddick isn't back by then, though I'd be surprised if he isn't!"

Knowing the druid and his traveling capabilities, he may actually be waiting for them back in Impresk right now... Possibly with Kaber in his pocket! She sighed slightly then, thinking of their large, furry companion. It had been nearly four and a half years since they'd gone with him up to the Spine of the World to meet his clan and since that time, Kaber's aspirations for a better life for his people had been keeping him there. A noble quest for a noble friend, but she missed him greatly...

Ashara looked over to Therogeon again, and began moving towards him. Not to distract the wizard from his studying, but just to get a closer peek to be sure his wounds, if any, weren't serious. Satisfied that she didn't see any new damage to his clothing, nor fresh blood on his person, she was about to turn back to Elric and Thornton when a mound of cloth lying next to the large statue in the corner caught her eye.

Likely the white shirt her husband didn't manage to make it home with. At least parts of it were white... Most of it seemed to have been recently dyed a dark, rust color.

Lifting the shirt, she held it up in front of her to see what tale it might tell. And what a tale! Ashara had seen Elric nearly gored by the demon up above and she knew that because of Therogeon's Stoneskin spell, that this shirt had been the only thing to take that particular damage, but what she'd seen would have only caused a single hole in the front. What she saw before her now, was little more than shredded fabric saturated in blood and scorched to the point that the previous function of the garment was nearly unrecognizable.

A single eyebrow lifted ever so slowly as she turned to face the shirtless half dragon. This must have been the room they fought the demons in... Therogeon's scrying mirror had shown one of them in here, and the large pool of inhumanly dark blood marked that area as the place where one of them must have died. The other two pools of blood though...the one in the hall and the smaller one near the door way looked like the type she prefered to be inside of her companions.

Earlier today, after Almara told her that Therogeon nearly died, Ashara had sent Elric a Whisper.

He'd told her that they were fine...

This shirt, and Almara's tale told quite a different story.

As she searched the warrior's face, the temperature ten feet around the priestess began climbing unintentionally.

"Elric? What...??"

Ninety degrees.

Last edited by Ashara on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:58 am

The air was getting a little harder to breathe, and absentmindedly he wiped a bead of sweat from his eyes. How hot WAS it down here? His eyes got wide. She was doing it AGAIN! At home or during training was one thing... but he REALLY didn't expect her turn the heat up on him down here! He turned toward Ashara with a look both quizzical and exasperated, and was met with one of her own.

"Elric? What...??"

She was staring at him with a look he couldn't place. She was also holding some kind of rag. After a moments inspection he recognized it for what it was, and answered her questioning with a slightly mournful chuckle.

"Yeah... That one's kind of destroyed..." He shook his head with a smirk and added. "I don't think we have NEAR enough magic to save THAT shirt..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:26 am

Ninety-two degrees.

She did not return Elric's smirk. Instead, she reached up and touched two fingers to her temple and after whispering a few words, turned those fingers toward the half dragon who allowed her into his mind with no resistance.

It was all too much... Too much to have dealt with in too few hours! Between all the deaths and near deaths, Ashara was on the raggedy edge of emotional exhaustion and she knew it. Knowing that she was in that precarious place however, did not mitigate the feeling of profound hurt that squeezed violently at her heart. There must be some mistake...

Perhaps this wasn't the time or place, but while they were waiting for Therogeon to finish, Ashara was hoping for some answers.

"I was... You..." Telepathic stuttering wasn't where she'd intended on starting! After giving her hair a good yank, she began again slowly. Trying to remain calm.

"He'd been run through with swords," she communicated telepathically to Elric, turning her eyes briefly to the mage. "Almara told me he would have died if he hadn't had that Regenerative Heal on him. Therogeon said you'd taken more damage while training at the school!"

She held up the 'shirt' again for him to see and swallowed the large lump forming in her throat.

Ninety-three degrees.

"Elric, you told me you were all fine. This... This doesn't look 'fine' to me!"

Ashara took a few steps toward him. Pain mingled with anger shone in her eyes.

"I've already been deceived once today. Please tell me Melamin, who was looking out for my best interest by trying to deceive me this time? Therogeon again?

"...You?" she managed to mentally choke out.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 pm

The smirk slid off Elric's face as he listened to her. The telepathy had confused him at first, but now the intention was fairly clear. She was upset... very upset. The Everdawns didn't argue often. In fact he suspected their marriage was the envy of many other couples... Though when they did feel the need to... disagree, they kept the arguments to themselves.

"Decieve..... but, Darling... I WAS fine...", he silently said hoping to defuse the situation. Sweat was literally rolling off him now, but he tried to ignore it. "I don't know WHAT Therogeon was telling you girls... but believe me I'll be finding out!" He glared toward the mage who fortunately was still ignoring him. "I'm not going to worry you about things I don't know about, or you can't help with..."

He took the scrap of cloth and tried to examine the damage with new eyes. His eyebrow raised in alarm as he saw what Ashara was seeing... he just shook his head and sighed. "Therogeon and I were separated in the fight. I... Well.. the demon's got a few good hits in, yes... But I still won with Thornton's help there... When it was over, Therogeon looked rough... but he was already regenerating and well on the road to recovery." WHY the mage was worrying the women when he was already healed... he couldn't begin to imagine.

"Thornton was... well, as you saw and I...." He was quiet for a moment... but then continued. "I was bleeding pretty bad. However..." he quickly continued before she was able to interrupt. "I ate the entire bag of grain that Eddick sent with us. You know how much I HATE that stuff... But I ate it all. It seemed to be enough to put me right as rain..."

He looked her in the eyes and with complete honesty finished. "When you called, I WAS fine... Therogeon WAS fine. Nobody was trying to deceive you. There was trouble... it was fixed. The next couple rooms presented exciting and NEW trouble... but at the time I spoke to you, it was the straight truth..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Ashara watched him, unblinking, for a few moments, and though the clenched jaw didn't relax, her eyes softened.

It was only then that she finally felt the heat that was flowing out of her in waves, as sweat saturated the padding beneath her chain. Elric too was looking..uncomfortable... Cursing herself under her breath (in pixish, though she had no idea what it meant), she pressed her fingers to her forehead in frustration and began to bring the temperature back down to a comfortable level.

"I...I'm sorry, I didn't mean..." The priestess sighed loudly then snapped her eyes back up to meet his emerald ones.

"It scared the Dawnlight out of me when Almara said that! What if our brother had been injured before that fight?? His blood would have been on MY hands, Love! His baby would have grown up without a father because I CHOSE to ignore my heart and stay behind in the SAFETY of that blasted tower!! "

The thought of 'what if' was causing Ashara to become more animated, gesturing with her hands desperately, trying to make him understand. Realizing how strange that must look while they stared at each other in complete silence, she dropped one of her hands back down to her side while the other raked it's way through her hair.

"I should have come with you all from the beginning, but barring that, I should have trusted you to alert me when I was needed. I'm not as strong as I thought I was. Having to watch through the mirror was bad enough, but when the lights went out... Not knowing... The waiting was unbearable!"

She sighed more softly this time and moved to Elric's side, leaning against the cool stones of the wall. After a moment of verbal and telepathic silence, she rolled her head to the side and looked up at him.

"You would have told me, wouldn't you have? You would have called for me if you knew you were in serious danger down here?"

Last edited by Ashara on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 Empty Thornton

Post  Eddick the Steady (XIV) Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

The golem stood there after his mending and feeling pretty good. He tested his leg, and it looked as long as he did not push it too hard, the stitching would stay in place. Only master could make it right as rain, but Ashara would certainly do in a pinch. He looked back up at her to see her staring at Elric, occasionally pressing her temples with her fingers. Thornton unintentionally brought his hand up to his temple as well, before noticing what he was doing, and put his hand down at his side.

He suddenly felt very thirsty, although he wasn't sure why. He pulled out his decanter and opened up the stopper. As desired, an easy amount of water came out, like from a pitcher with a small spout. He knew from experience that it would keep on pouring forever, well at least for a very long time, but he wasted no time and poured the liquid onto his head. He soaked it in as best he could, although he really needed to be out in the sun for a while to really feel better.

Thornton looked over his shoulder at the mage, noting that he was still memorizing, and he stopped up the decanter to keep anyone from getting too wet, but he did leave a bit of a puddle on the floor.
Eddick the Steady (XIV)
Eddick the Steady (XIV)

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Elric was silent for a moment. Watching the golem's antic's brought a slight grin to his face. Still the longer he thought about his answer the worse this conversation would take. He let out a long sigh.

"First of all... Anything that happened down here was NOT your fault! If anything happened to me, OR Therogeon... the fault is laid at either the monster who did it, the one who SUMMONED it, OR the one who didn't get out of the way... If I'm too slow to dodge a sword, it is NOT your fault!" He was quiet for a moment to let that realization settle. "You had an impossible choice. Protect us... or Protect our unborn child. There was NO wrong choice there. Either way you were protecting your family!"

He chuckled as he remembered watching HER in the mirror... "Your stronger then I am. I don't know how you did it... I only had to watch you go through our own backyard and I was already pacing... I don't know how you did it, as long as you did..."

He reached out and ran his hand softly across her neck where the false Ashara had struck. "I know what it's like knowing someone's in danger but not being able to help. Hoping... praying that you still have the regeneration... That Arturo or Me'awen hadn't thrown a toy or something earlier that day. Trusting in a spell you don't know if they still have... I'd never been that scared. I SAW the knife..." he shook his head trying to blot out the memory.

"Would I have called for you???" He wasn't really sure how to answer that, but he'd postponed long enough. "IF... and that's a BIG IF... I thought calling for you would let everyone walk away... then yes. Would I have brought you to share our fate? If Therogeon was down, and I was falling... and I knew the call would have had you charging in to meet two demons on your own... I honestly don't know.

His brow furrowed. He knew that wasn't what she wanted to hear, but he wouldn't just lie. He couldn't picture himself calling for if he knew it would just put her in extreme danger. She knew he had faith in her abilities, more than she sometimes had... but in this hypothetical situation, two of the Champions were already beaten.

"If it's any consolation... After the fight with Alagian, I DO remember trying to call you... I was a little out of it... So I don't know if you heard me or not... but you were there when I woke up!"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 pm

"I did hear you, Melamin... I did."

The weary priestess rested her head on the half dragon's shoulder as they leaned against the wall. She'd known what his answer to her question would be. It was the same way she would have answered if the situation had been reversed, and while she might not like the answer, she couldn't refute it either.

His admission of fear at seeing her attacked by the assassin the previous evening, caught her off guard a bit. It hadn't even registered that Elric would have WATCHED as her throat was cut! Ashara shook her head sadly. She knew now exactly which nightmare he'd be waking to this evening...

"The fault is laid at either the monster who did it or the one who SUMMONED it," she reiterated his previous thoughts again for his benefit as much as for hers.

Elric was going to need to hear those words again by the time this day was out. She feared that he would shoulder the guilt for the deaths of Perrimar and Talgan who fell to the wicked blade wielded by the Curst Aretis. They were too young. Too inexperienced... No amount of additional training on Elric's part could have prepared them in such a short time to defend themselves against that kind of threat. The news would not be easy for her to deliver, but it would be even harder for her husband to hear. She had to tell him soon though. When they didn't come home this evening, he would know something was very wrong...

"We're going to need to keep that thought in mind in the next days, I'm afraid. This kind of tragedy doesn't strike Impresk often and there will be much grieving for those who've been lost to us.

She took a deep breath and wrapped her arm around his, squeezing his hand gently.

"Elric, when we get back and our family is secured, I know there is a lot work to be done yet but I'd like to have some time to talk with you about that battle with Aretis. Sooner rather than later if we can manage it..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 pm

"Of course..." He answered gently, without hesitation. She had slain someone who had once been a close friend. He couldn't imagine what that was doing to her. "Whenever you're ready to talk... My pointy little ears are at your full disposal, and you'll get my undivided attention." He gave her his best smile, hoping to defuse the rest of the growing tension.

Somehow, despite the weariness they were all feeling... it didn't take much imagination to see them right back on the couch in the meeting room talking to early morning again. Provided of course, that they ever got out of this dungeon!

He looked back at his friend who was flipping through his book and pointedly ignoring the world around him. For probably the hundredth time he was glad Eldorath had been a master fighter and not a master wizard.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 Empty Therogeon

Post  MrPrettyPretty Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:48 am

The wizard again looked up with only his eyes. It had been some minutes and still they were only staring at each other. It was possibly a telepathic spell but the wizard was afraid it was Elric trying to keep Ashara calm so she didn't attack him.

He was quite suprised when Ashara and Elric walked into the room. He noticed them immediately of course. Completely blocking out the world in your own library was one thing, doing so in a potentially dangerous dungeon was something else entirely.

Still, she hadn't smited him with Dawn's light yet so maybe he was safe...

Slowly he closed the book. "Well, I have to say I wasn't expecting to see both of you...I trust everything is ok?" The question has so many nuances it made his head hurt.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:03 am

An ephemeral smirk turned up one corner of her mouth, when the elf spoke. It was slightly amusing that Almara hadn't mentioned that he'd be joined by the two of them! She'd have to thank her for that later...

"It seems Elric was concerned about me coming down to you without...supervision," she joked, though she kept all evidence of the tease from her features.

Ashara pushed herself off the wall and moved slowly and deliberately towards Therogeon. There was definitely a bit of anxiety in the mage's eyes as she approached. Probably wondering if she intended to assault him physically or verbally, and she had no doubt that he was prepared for either!

Ashara chuckled into Elric's mind to put him to ease as she loomed over the elf who was still seated on the stone floor.

"I think he's afraid I'll have another go at that eye," she continued with a stoney expression. "That or he's worried that he might not have anyone to share his feywine with after today..."

Finally, a small grin broke through as she reached out, extending her hand to help her brother to his feet.

"Do you really think me that cruel?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Elric leaned comfortably against the stone wall with his arms crossed in front of his chest. Apparently everything would be just fine between those two. One thing about Ashara... she was quick to get angry, but she was also quick to forgive.

"Everybody friends again?" He chuckled with a grin. After her temper flare the coolness of the stone was refreshing, but as the fresh sweat cooled, the comfort quickly faded. He pushed off from the wall and rejoined the others in the circle of warmth. He put one arm over Ashara's chain covered shoulders, and addressed the elf.

"Personally, I'm surprised she didn't make you sweat a bit longer... But maybe it's just me, she reserves that for..." He teased with a grin. "Now are we ready to finish this up and go home?"
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:19 am

The wizard grinned, "Most definitely." He smiled at Ashara as she helped him up.

"I think we should start in the dead magic room. What say you both?" Therogeon slid his book into his pack.
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm

With that Elric turned and led the party down the hall. He turned to call for Thornton but the Golem had already fallen in line, faceless head tilted and staring silently. The warrior's grin slipped as they passed the corpse of the evil priest. Part of him wished he could have stood trial for his crimes... part of him lamented the fact he could only kill him once.

He continued the commentary for Ashara as they passed the burned stone. He warned of the dead magic only moments before her own holy symbol and armor went dim. The fire from the sconces still lit the room and Elric entered with some trepidation. A sharp intake of breath was the only emotion he showed as he surveyed the room of the epic battle. In his dazed state he couldn't guarantee the elf was dead.... he hadn't really wanted to believe it... but there he was. Crumpled against the wall where he fell last.

With fresh eyes, he replayed the battle in his mind. Every strike, every counter. He shook his head trying to clear his mind. "Ok then..." he said with more enthusiasm than he actually felt. "Let's get this over with..."

He found a satchel and a backpack which he handed to Thornton to carry. The warrior picked up Grayn'anda'ith. It truly was a beautiful sword... even though in this room it too was devoid of magic. "What do we do with this?" he asked his companions? "I'm leaning toward laying it to rest with Aretis. Alagian planned on returning it to Tenithalosa's family... but... the bladesinger was evil, and Aretis had as strong a claim in my opinion... or perhaps I'm not keen on fullfilling my errant brother's last wish."

Last edited by Elric on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:24 am

The priestess felt suddenly cold as her Control Temperature spell winked out when she entered the room within the dead magic area. Most of the chill however, came from seeing the broken elvish form slumped against the wall...

Alagian's blue and gold eyes stared off, unfocused across the room, head at an angle that left no doubt in Ashara's mind that he was dead. Moving over to him slowly, she knelt down at his side. The brutality of it... The devastation that had been inflicted on this elf took her breath away.

'You... you should see... the other guy....'

Elric's words when she first saw the damage that had been done to him, echoed in her thoughts. The 'other' guy was covered in ugly purple bruises that marred his once perfect, blue tinged skin. His chest was crushed. His nose was shattered, though not as badly as her husband's had been... Aside from the game ending broken neck, the most wince-worthy injury was the knee that had been forced into bending entirely the wrong direction.

What a waste... Eldorath's son! Ashara shook her head, still in disbelief at the idea. This fellow should have been like a brother to Elric. What the two of these men could have accomplished together had they traveled the same path! It reminded her of how different her husband could have been, had he wanted retribution for all the wrongs that he'd suffered at the hands of cruel elves and humans alike. If he'd filled his mind with hate as Alagian had... Fortunately for her...for ALL of the Champion's, he'd chosen a nobler path. Elric's skill was incredible, there was no denying it, but it was his heart that made him great!

Seeing Alagian lying there, it was difficult to imagine that he was responsible for so much of what had happened over the last few hours... She'd much rather lay it all at the feet of the priest of Cyric. So much death and strife could be!

As the men were discussing the sword, Ashara sighed softly and ran her hand gently over the elf's face to close his eyes for the final time. He'd earned his fate.

She looked up to see Elric watching her, and all she could do was press her lips together in a weak, but hopefully reassuring smile.

"If you choose to bury the sword with Aretis, I suggest only that no one but the Champions know where it lies and that we are sure to bury it well. I would hate to see Grayn'anda'ith be wielded in the wrong hands again! If you'd rather not bury it, perhaps when you find Eldorath, he might find a proper home for it. I have every confidence in his judgement of character," she winked at the half dragon.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:02 am

Elric nodded thoughtfully. He wished the old elf was here now. There were many times over the years, he wished he could hear his mentor's advice. Looking at his Tura's broken son he admitted to himself that he wasn't ready to see the elf yet. It would take him a long time to know what to say to Eldorath Windwalker. Perhaps a very long time.

"Something to decide later... I consider the sword his. Though others may disagree, and I'd hate for anything to ever disturb his rest. He's earned his peace."

Fairly certain they had taken anything of value from the room... whether monetary or sentimental, Elric gave the room one more look over. The bookcases were stacked with private journals and the fighter flipped through a couple. Useless to him. Personal records of the mage Semerot. He had a fleeting hope that the journals were Alagian's or the priests... Anything that would fill in holes surrounding the attack. Long dead wizards held little interest to him. Never knowing what Therogeon would find useful or not... he pointed the items of possible interest to the mage. He was just about to collect Alagian's corpse before something caught his eye.

With a curious look he walked to the back of the room and looked toward the chair. There was something peculiar about the way the wall to the right lined up. Foolishly perhaps, considering the amount of traps they'd already run across, but trusting the dead magic reached this far, Elric felt along the stone till his suspicions were confirmed and the stone slid away. Though he was in no way an experienced tracker, even the half-dragon could see that this path was well used. He looked back at Therogeon with a look of triumph.

"Remember how I was wondering exactly 'how' our attackers were coming and going... Something about the anti-teleport field, and all the undisturbed dust in the hallways...." He looked back with a smirk. "Mystery solved!"

He looked back at the corpse he was determined to take with them. He didn't relish the idea of throwing it over his shoulders... and they'd still be leaving the priest unless on of the others cared enough to collect it. For his part the desire to lay the body to rest was entirely for Eldorath's sake. Alagian himself had earned no special treatment. He addressed his two companions. "What do you two think? This looks like the way out. Clean out the chests first... grab Alagian... Then explore the new route? I have no idea how far THIS one takes us... Or just collect our stuff and go out the way we came... "
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrPrettyPretty Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 am

The elf nodded, "That indeed sounds like a plan. Find what we can then see where this goes."

Therogeon looked around, "I think I'll keep this place. A secondary safe house can't hurt." He shrugged, "I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid."

He looked back at the doorway leading back the way they came in, "Shall we?"
MrPrettyPretty
MrPrettyPretty

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:27 am

Elric grinned and shook his head. "You want to KEEP it?!?" A quick laugh filled the dark hallway as they headed to the laboratory. Another reason he was glad he wasn't a mage. Therogeon may have had vision for this burn out broken tower, that obviously hadn't done it's former owners much good. He, himself? He had no pleasant memories attached to the place. The warrior wanted nothing more than to leave this place and it's memories far behind him.

"I guess I'm not THAT surprised... Have we ever vanquished an enemy where you didn't want to keep his house?"

The trip back was uneventful. With every passing moment Elric became more confident that the danger here was in the past. When they got back to the room with the chest, Elric looked back to the mage. "You said it was magic... Whether it's locked or trapped, it's still your show."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Alturiak 29, 1377 Cont...

... And without further discussion the mage waved his hand and opened the chest.

The chest was much larger then it needed to be, for all we found inside was a few small items. Therogeon identified them easily enough... I still remember when it took the better part of a day for him to tell us what items did... but I digress.

A Hat that could change your appearance, A ring of feather fall (Especially fortuitous considering the young mounts we had waiting for us back home...), and a pearl that lets you breath underwater. We added them to the bundle of items taken from our enemies. Alagian had an amulet that protected from Scrying and ESP... Considering how Therogeon's scrying saved so many lives last night... I'm not sure I WANT that item... His Gem of Teleportation though... That I DO want. Much as I hate Teleportation, if I'd had THAT last night... the battle would have gone very differently. And as one of the few Champions who can't get to Waterdeep with but a thought... THAT could come in handy. There were some scrolls and potions... and a basin that apparently allows scrying like Therogeon's mirror... but for priests. Regardless, we bundled up all the loot and attempted to leave.

Ashara wanted us to take the body of Rariden... (According to some notes amongst the priest of Cyric's possessions, I believe that to have been his name.) I was ambivalent on the matter. Still... She was right. Taking the body back with us will help show the citizens of Impresk that the danger has passed... We can bury him... burn him... whatever Ashara and the other priests decide. Anyone that closely associated with the undead... we should PROBABLY not just leave his body to rot. Even if Therogeon decides NOT to use keep this tower.

I carried Alagian out of the ruins, while Thornton somehow managed the fat priest. I suspect Therogeon either increased the golems strength, or lowered the weight of the corpse... or both. My mind wasn't really on our surroundings at the time. I was simply ready to go home.

Elric put down the quill and rubbed his eyes. He'd wanted to write this stuff down while the details were still fresh, however perhaps the details were still too fresh. A grin crawled across his face as he remembered one of the few bright spots of the day. He picked up the quill and dipped it in the ink.

There was much to do after we returned. We deposited the bodies at the chapel. Roland and Davion nearly attacked us with a barrage of questions that still make my head hurt. However... in time we were able to convince everyone the danger was over... the villians defeated... the loved one's avenged. Finally we were left to ourselves.

I truly feel sorry for Almara. Not only did she have to stay behind and watch Therogeon in battle, (I STILL don't know her and Ashara were able to do THAT) but by the time we got back to the tower, the Everdawnlings were well rested from their nap... and getting bored. She had managed admirably, but I suspected she was especially glad to see us return.

And they weren't the only ones. From the moment they saw us walk in the room the quarter-dragons attacked. Before I knew what had happened Arturo was clinging to Ashara, and I had the twins wrapped around each leg. A constant barage of requests for everything from snacks to stories to presents assaulted me and all I could do was laugh and hug them.

I'm not sure if they really missed ME, or if they REALLY wanted to know what I BROUGHT them... but I'm willing to convince myself it was me... besides, THIS time I DID have something fun for them!

The look on their faces when I introduced them to Wildfire and his unnamed sibling was priceless! I made sure to lock that memory firmly. I'll be pressuring Ashara soon enough to draw those faces! Arturo was confused by the 'Horse-birds' as he called them. Confused but astonished just the same. Me'awen was frightened, but with a little coaxing I was able to get her out from behind her mother to come pet him. That put her mind to ease a bit and she started to giggle. Romen however... I don't know what to do with THAT boy. The child has no fear, and little self-preservation! It took everything I could do to keep him from scurrying over there and trying to ride it immediately!

Wildfire took everything in stride. He seemed as curious about the children as they were of it. Naturally it'll be a long... LONG time, before they get to play with him. I'm not exactly certain how... domesticated Hippogriff's get. Something new to study I guess. But today was good start. Just seeing the potential in the young foals and looking ahead to the inevitable flights.... I can't really explain it, but it's nice to look ahead to the future, and see GOOD things.

Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 pm

The sun had long set over Impresk by the time the Everdawns finally all returned home. Bramin was there to greet them but he shut himself into his room shortly after retelling the tale of how he and Roland Moonford managed to excavate Marstine's corpse from the Deleverso garden. There was no longer hope that she might be Raised. The frozen ground had preserved her body well enough to determine that the poor girl's throat had been cleanly sliced in the same manner Ashara's had been, but after some examination it was realized that Marstine had been in the ground for over two months. Too long for Raising, and Resurrection was never on the table. Needing to deal with his own emotional battles, Bramin closed himself off for the evening, hardly in the mood for any further discussion on the matter.

Ashara also wasn't enamored of the idea of such discussions, but she couldn't put her own grim revelation off any longer. At dawn when Elric came down to the table to see two empty chairs, he'd be needing some explanation, and that was NOT a conversation she wanted to have in front of his students and children.

Some time after the three quarter-dragons had been tucked snugly into their beds, and Davion returned home after developing funerary plans for the following day, Ashara headed back upstairs to find Elric at the small writing desk in their room, penning some thoughts into his sporadically-used journal.

She hated interrupting him... Her mind started trying to rationalize the idea that she didn't have to tell him right now. Maybe...later tonight when he was finished... Maybe before dawn tomorrow... This was hardly the first time she'd had to deliver news of unexpected deaths, but this time seemed different. This news would deeply hurt her husband. She couldn't keep it from him though... As much as she wanted to protect him from the pain, now that everyone was safe in their beds, he needed to know.

A soft sigh of resignation followed Ashara over to his workspace to stand beside the half dragon.

"Elric?" Gently she brushed aside some of his long brown hair to rest her hand on his shoulder. "Do you have a few minutes to talk?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back - Page 13 Empty Re: Alturiak 1377 - CoRD Strikes Back

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next