The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Autumn 1372  - Page 25 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Autumn 1372

3 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 25 Empty Re: Autumn 1372

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Elric laughed at the absurdity of her idea. Spinning and twisting from the flying shrapnel he could hear Durlan beating the monstrosity to scrap metal. Soon it stopped moving, but the clanging continued on.

"I think... we'll have to establish a new rule. Any picture you draw and put in the public areas.... YOU get to explain to your parents when they inevitably visit!"

His laughing continued until he realized that the battle was quite over and they were in fact, NOT alone.... He turned to the wreckage and saw the dwarf staring with his hands over his chest and an unreadable expression on his face.

Feeling remarkably awkward, his cheeks took on a bright rosy blush.

"Now... " The dwarf muttered with an amused glint in his eye. "I'm not fer knowin' how y'all fight where YOU come from...."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 25 Empty Kaldric

Post  The Sub-Creator Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:38 pm

"Indeed," Kaldric kept his eyes lifted high. "Mayhaps you'd like to put some pants on before we continue saving the Dawnspire today . . ."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 25 Empty Ashara

Post  Penelope Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Ashara stepped up quickly, hoping to save him any further embarrassment.

"I don't think a 'little' faith in my ideas would be terribly misplaced, Melamin," she whispered as she produced a clean pair of pants and a shirt from the Haversack. "I certainly wouldn't hang something inappropriate on the walls! Nope, I have just the scene in mind."

With a wink, she handed Elric the clothing. Thankfully she'd had the foresight to pack a spare everything before leaving the Dawnspire that afternoon, and as long as that pair of pants didn't vanish into thin air he should be covered for the rest of the day. Maybe...

The three armor-wearing companions had been pretty well abused by the scaladars but after Jorelon managed to pull off a small heal on Durlan, they were well enough to keep on moving. No time to patch each other up here in the middle of the road!

As her husband was dressing, Ashara took a few steps closer to the three bodies that had been torn in half near the Naturalist's Hall. The pain in her own midsection indicated to her what probably happened to these fellows! Wincing, she carefully laid a hand over her fractured ribs as she took a quick peek at the dead. What she saw surprised her!

Polished chainmail covered with a tabard in black cloth and gold trim bearing the familiar gold detailing that labeled each of these men as a city guardsman of Waterdeep!

"Waterdhavian guards?!" Curious but concerned about loitering too long in one place, the priestess backed off and returned to her party. "Those fellows are a very long way from home and duty! Why would they be all the way out here?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:40 pm

"Waterdeep?!?" Elric asked in surprise. Dressing as quickly as he could, he was still distracted by whatever scheme was rattling around in his wife's mind. Somehow he had a feeling that of all the amazing things they had seen, and had yet to see... THIS was going to be the most told part of the tale... "Yeah, Very far from home... What are they doing here?..."

He'd been to waterdeep a couple of times, and had mixed feelings about the city. It was very big, very loud and very dirty. It was also where Ashara's curse was broken. And of course where Assassins nearly killed him. A lot of mixed feelings. But it was exciting, he had to give it that!

"We get all sorts here..." Jorelon scanned the bodies quickly. "Though I don't see any packs or gear... So either they didn't plan on coming here, or they have a camp stashed nearby..."

"We ain't got the time to fer lookin" Durlan insisted, scanning the horizon and the sky. Angrily he patted his beard down trying to keep it from blocking his sight. "Somethin' much've heard us...."

"I agree." A freshly dressed half-elf said. He recollected his weapons and tried stashing them where he could. It was much more problematic without sheaths. Inspiration struck him as he quickly dislodged one that had the least amount of gore from a fallen guardsmen, ans strapped it around his waist. It wasn't a perfect fit for his sword... but it was at least generic enough to work.

"Let's get moving before anything responds to the dinner bell!"

"Yes.... " Jorelon looked around nervously. Rarely had that much noise not attracted something. "Let's go..."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Something about the guards didn't sit well with the priestess. Besides the fact that they squeezed in two... If they were wearing their official uniform, they must have either come in an official capacity or were somehow snatched up and spirited halfway across the continent. Did Waterdeep send an expedition to the ruins? If so, for what?

Filing the thoughts away for later, Ashara hurriedly finished scooping up the remainder of Elric's gear, the Continual Light marbles, vials of holy water and three healing potions that had been scattered on the street after the Mythal surge destroyed his belt pouches.

She hadn't thought to pack extra belt pouches...

With a little sigh, she deposited the items in the Haversack and decided that she was glad that all he lost were his clothes!

The companions continued on to the north, anxious to get to their destination with no further altercations. Ashara couldn't help but notice Jorelon wince at ever other step, and the way Durlan's jaw was clenched was usually the only indication a dwarf might give of being in pain. She herself hadn't been this badly wounded since the Hezrou assault two days previous.

Sune's Grove had been a place of peace when they'd last visited, and the priestess hoped that there would be an opportunity to mend some injuries when they arrived.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 25 Empty Elric

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:42 pm

They ran on for twenty minutes or so, with heavy breathing and crunching gravel the only sounds around them. Things were starting to look familiar now. The intersection they had turned left on, the tree house they'd found the harp in. They were getting close now. In the distance they heard a dull clanging sound, and Jorelon spun around looking to the distance.

"I think your cage is down Kaldric..." the priest said taking the interruption to grip his side. Crushed ribs and running were a terrible combination, but in Myth Drannor you did what you had to.

"Sounds like someone else is in trouble now." Elric said with concern in his voice.

"Someone or something!" Came the gruff answer of the dwarf. "Odds are whatever it is, came running to loot yer corpse when it heard the battle..." He snickered a bit as he added. "Not that yer corpse'd had much on it..."

"Easier to sift through really... " Jorelon wheezed with a smile. "I wish all the treasure piles we explored would be so kind to separate the magic from the non-magical..."

"Whoever they be... I hope they win!" the dwarf looked back, "I don't like the noisy ones wanderin' around... Even if ye got to fight a demon or dragon... best if you don't have a dozen or so waitin' to take on the winner..."

"Speaking of which," Elric interrupted. "Wasn't far from here, that we got ambushed yesterday. Just cause we aren't in the fight, doesn't mean we won't meet someone on their way to dinner.."

"He's learning!" Jorelon laughed with a wince, as they continued northward.

Before long they passed the river with the troll corpses. Elric was glad to see them still there, with trolls it was never a safe bet... apparently Troll tasted as bad as he'd imagined if no predator had found them yet.

"Almost there," Jorelon called out to those who hadn't visited yet. "Almost... SHHHh..." He waved to the others to get down.and pointed up the trail. "Listen..."

The others could suddenly here a guttural tongue arguing a bit too loudly, Elric looked back at the others in confusion. "I thought the glade was protected?" The priest shook his head.

"Only to a point... the exceptionally stupid predators tend to wander around here without getting curious... but we've seen signs that 'some' things can still go in and cause mischief. Not much here though, so I've never seen anything here before... just tracks."

"Well then, let's see what we got..." The half-elf said with a wink. Moving forward as quiet as he could, he peeked into the glade that had been their first memorable moments of City of Song...

Anger flushed his face as he witnessed the scene in front of him. Scattered throughout the glade were small pits that hadn't been there before... near the center was a hobgoblin with a shovel. Three chests seemed to be loaded onto a sled being drawn by what looked like living spinal columns... MASSIVE spinal columns...

Suddenly he saw what the hobgoblin had been arguing with and the scene made more sense.. at least a little. A snake with the head of a man and a solid twelve foot long tail seemed to be directing the goblin-kin in his digging.

Quickly he backed off about 90 yards to where he'd left the others and quietly informed them of the situation.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Looking slightly pallid from the pain of the bone grinding run north, Ashara pushed a few loose strands of auburn hair behind her ear and shook her head slowly.

"Could it be coincidence that they're suddenly digging up chests there while we're heading in to look for a particular treasure as well? If someone unsavory has gotten word of where the pieces of this thing are," she said tapping the rerebrace gently, "then collecting them all could be...even more problematic."

The priestess waved her hand dismissively in regards to her own thought. Didn't matter. It was a job needing to get done, so they'd do it. As careful as they'd been with the information and considering how recently they'd discovered it, she wondered how someone else might have gotten wind of the location of the pieces. Maybe what was going on in the glade was completely unrelated. She hoped so!

"From the way you described them," she nodded to her husband, "the skeletal snake creatures in there have got to be bone nagas. I've only read of them as they're quite rare, but the live snake creature that's directing the hobgoblin is probably the naga that created them.

"We'll need to be wary... Bone nagas are very intelligent and can cast spells with a thought." Shifting her eyes to Jorelon she continued. "They are undead, but I believe they're too powerful for us to destroy outright with the Turning abilities granted us and sending them running will probably just draw more attention to ourselves. Dawnspeaker however," she smiled as she felt the holy mace thrumming with power at her hip, "should have a good chance of Disrupting them."

The skin between her eyebrows crinkled slightly as she wondered if that Disrupting ability could trigger a Mythal surge... Guess they'd find out sooner or later!

Three casters and a hobgoblin. Ashara wasn't sure how hesitant the naga would be to use their spells but with the pain that would soon be brought down on them, they were sure to take the chance if they felt it necessary!

Looking over her companions one by one, she added another suggestion. "It might be worth the risk to patch up our injuries a bit before going in..."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Ashara heard little argument, and quickly went about her task. Elric couldn't help but think about what she said. How would anyone know about their quest?? THEY had only found out what they had this morning. It had to be a coincidence. The other possibility was to unpleasant to consider.

He had already seen how fast rumor and gossip could spread amongst the close-knit community of the Dawnspire. He glanced at Jorelon and shook his head. If there was a spy, then certainly the Abbess and the others would have realized it. Still... he wasn't fond of coincidences. He made a note to voice his concerns when they got back.

"Everyone feeling better?" he asked as Ashara finished her healing. "What do we do now? Any recommendations?"

Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Breathing a little more easily now, Ashara turned her face upward toward the remaining rays of the sun that peeked down from above the colorful fall canopy.

"Well, if we could get the drop on them, we might avoid some unpleasantness. I have a couple spells prepared that should help get us in pretty close and surprise them...even Team Clank," she grinned. "With Camouflage we would blend in seamlessly with the natural surroundings, and as long as we didn't move too fast we'd only be detectable by magical means."

"I have a Silence spell prepared as well," Jorelon spoke up, knowing where her thoughts were leading. "For those of us without stealthful tendencies."

The priestess smiled and nodded. There was always some risk to casting of course but the successes of the healing spells emboldened her a bit again after the shock of Elric's magical disrobement. Besides, it wasn't like they weren't in the business of taking risks! I mean...who vacations in Myth Drannor? Who helps break a siege for their honeymoon? Some risks were worth taking.

"If I Camouflaged us all, Elric could sneak around to the east side of the grove, while the rest of us approached from the main path under the additional protection of a Silence spell. Now I know Silence wouldn't affect the bone nagas' casting, but I don't know enough about the living variety to say that it's true for them as well. If it does need to speak in order to cast, than it might be a good idea to take the bubble of Silence to it.

"Jorelon could cast Silence on Durlan and we could follow him in. The bubble is only a fifteen foot radius, so any of us who don't want to be in the Silence when we get into the grove, could split off after Durlan takes the pain to the naga.

"If somehow they do notice our approach, we won't want to be right on top of each other either, so upon approach we should probably spread ourselves out as much as possible within that radius."

Ashara paused in thought for a moment, her tongue darting out to wet her lips as some of the possible scenarios played through her mind.

"Maybe I could join Elric in his approach from the east with my own Silence spell," she said, turning her attention to the half elf, "which could be dropped as soon as we engage them. If we rushed in first, than the others coming up from the south would have an even greater advantage."
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Kaldric listened to the plan formed by the Morninglord and nodded at its simple effectiveness. Having done a great deal of research into the history of Myth Drannor, the mage was no novice to battle tactics, so the idea of splitting up and flanking the enemy appealed as a highly efficient strategy against an enemy caught unawares. His concern was breaking up such a small party as theirs against a foe he knew little about save that all the enemy were spellcasters in some shape and form. If one team or the other were to suffer misfortune, would the other be too far away to lend aid with a host of enemies between?

"I have a counterpoint to the flanking maneuver," the Veil Initiate volunteered, speaking up for the first time since his rather emotional outburst before the scorpion constructs. "What if we forced them to come to us and ambushed them in their haste to do so? If you camouflaged and silenced our two warriors and let them take positions about half-way between the nagas and the treeline, I could form a wall just beyond them one hundred twenty feet long by sixty feet high that would block any incoming magic or attempted ranged fire--if they have anything of that nature we don't see. Conversely, we would have no restrictions sending our own magic or ranged fire at them, meaning if they chose to attempt a circumventing of the wall, we could pelt them with whatever we desired, including your god's turning abilities, if you wished. If they sought to charge us directly through the wall I've put up, it would damage them to pass through it, possibly confuse them, and our warriors could strike at them with surprise because of their camouflaged nature before ever the monsters got close."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:19 pm

"Sounds like a lot a magic to me... " Durlan muttered looking toward his fellow warrior for agreement. Elric nodded in thought.

"I don't want to step on any toes here... You three seem to know the dangers better than I... But if these ARE casters... do we really want to put them in a position to let them start casting at Kaldric's wall? Even if it DOES stop the spells... what about the potential surges?"

He shrugged as he continued. "I guess I'm just willing to chance a few of our own spells when necessary... but would prefer doing whatever possible to STOP their casting... not just block it. I'd prefer the sneaking and charging myself... I can draw whatever fire needed." He winked at Ashara. "I do still have the magic resistant mask..."

"How's that camou-whatsit work anyway?" the battle-eager dwarf questioned. "It going to turn me into a rock or a tree or somethin'? Rock would be better I'm thinkin... " He said hopefully.

Elric chuckled and shook his head. "I think that's just one of the illusion ones... They'll see 'something' or maybe even nothing.. I don't know. But you won't actually 'be' a rock. Useful for moving about the forest unseen..." His brow furrowed for a moment. "Will it still work when we get to the open glade?
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:47 am

The mage frowned slightly, tipping his head and shrugging his shoulders in a sort of nonchalant acquiescence. He strongly disapproved of the half-elf's lack of trust in his wife, but decided now wasn't the time to voice it. So few appreciation her and even fewer trusted her ability to aid them; little wonder, then, that she often lashed out against them. Sometimes, he wanted to do the same!

"I'll wish you all the best, then," he told them plainly. "There's nothing I'll be able to do for you out there that I couldn't do from right here, except perhaps bleed out a bit more from excessive vulnerability while in the open. I'll gladly lend any of you a vial of your choice as an opening barrage as you charge, if you wish."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 am

Ashara's eyebrow shot up at the mage's comment.

Since they'd first left the Dawnspire to visit Gemblaunt, she'd put herself at the back of the pack in order to keep him a bit safer. She'd left Elric behind with the molydeus in order to help ensure that Kaldric and his knowledge of the Mythal would get back to the Dawnspire safely and he almost died holding that thing off! A fact that still rattled her more than she chose to admit. She and Jorelon charged headlong into that scaladar so it wouldn't get anywhere near the mage.

Even after all this evidence that the group intended to protect him at all cost, Kaldric apparently held no faith in his new companions. Worse, it seemed he was ready to abandon them when his idea met with some resistance! It was difficult business adventuring with those whom you'd just met, and the priestess hoped they would come to some sort of understanding of each other before long.

"There seems to be some confusion..." Ashara tore her eyes away from the mage after a long moment and picked up a dry stick from the ground, breaking it to an appropriate length over her mithril plated knee.

"No one needs to throw themselves unprotected into the glade at all, and although Silence may stop the naga from casting, it won't do anything for the bone naga, so Kaldric's wall could protect those of us behind it. I'd much rather have them aiming their spells at a wall than at my husband, magic resistant mask or no!" She winked at the half elf. "And if their magic surges and blows them to pieces, all the better for us to be behind the wall when it happens! Makes our job easier if Kaldric's wife does the smiting for us."

Brushing away some of the debris from the overgrown path, she began drawing a rough outline of Sune's temple in the dirt. The glade elongated into almost a funnel shape, as it pointed south east toward the river, and it was in this area that she suggested, as Kaldric had, that they set up this little ambush.

"Here's what I'm thinking. All of us will be Camouflaged and Elric and Durlan will both have Silence cast on them as well. Durlan, disguised as a moss covered rock," she teased, "will take up position here..." Ashara dug the tip of the stick into the ground indicating a spot to the west side of the funnel-shaped alcove. "Just inside the treeline near the mouth of the opening. Elric, a shrubbery, will take up position opposite him, inside the treeline on the eastern side." She poked another hole in the ground to indicated the half elf's spot and looked over to him to answer his previous question. "Oh, and no, you won't be able to fool them trying to sneak through the glade under this spell. It works best in thicker foliage.

"As you two are getting set, the rest of us will approach from path, skirting the edges. We won't have Silence, but we won't need it. When Kaldric is in range, he can erect his magical wall at the mouth of the alcove, spanning the opening from treeline to treeline, but not into the trees at all." She drew a line in the dirt across the mouth of the funnel. "Kaldric," she turned to address the mage directly, "as long as your wall isn't offensive in nature it won't break your Camouflage, so you need not be out in the open at all if you don't choose to be."

With a nod, the priestess continued.

"As soon as the wall is up, Joreon and I can reveal ourselves here and try to draw them toward the barrier." She jabbed again at the ground at a point behind the wall in the center of the path. "I'm slightly concerned that if they've come for the same thing that we have and they've already found it, that they might choose to take that most valuable piece of treasure and run into the forest instead of fight, but it's doubtful that they'd see two priests as too much of a threat.

"Once we harry them with bolts and holy water bullets and they find they can't get at us with their spells, they should come for us and go around the barrier through the trees, where Elric and Durlan will be waiting for them. As for the bone naga, when it becomes necessary I can cast a Sunrise into their midst to stun them for a few moments to stop their casting. If the live one hangs back, then Elric and his mask can take the Silence to it and he and can ensure no one escapes...the hobgoblin included. We don't want to chance losing the piece if one of them has it on...or inside them..." She cringed at the thought that naga probably swallowed their valuables and regurgitated them later. It was fairly certain they didn't have pockets...

"Now if for some reason the wall doesn't go up," Ashara tipped her head in honest apology to the mage as she tried to prepare for all scenarios, "then we try to stick to the plan but in that case I alone will briefly reveal myself and then run back south once seen and take cover in the trees. When they give chase, the rest of you can ambush them."

Tapping the stick to her lips, she paused for a moment considering.

"Is there anything I might have overlooked? Any further ideas or opinions?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 am

Elric listened with eyes narrowed as she detailed out the plan. Admittedly there were a few details he'd missed in the original suggestion... but the mage's response seemed far out of line. Still in the interest of group unity he bit his tongue and kept his opinion of overconfident mages to himself.

The plan was decent... when it was all said and done. He still wasn't fond of anything that encouraged the casters to tempting the mythal. Nor was he highly confident in their mediocre ranged weapons... Few vials and a crossbow... He almost wished Durlan was sticking to the back with his bigger crossbow. Despite his doubts it was a decent plan, and if everything went well... should work just fine.

He flinched when Ashara got to the part of using herself as bait. If the wall didn't go up as planned... She'd be vulnerable to any spell the casters chose to fire her way. But if not her, then who? With the two warriors in ambush, it was between the two priests and the wizard. Of the three, Ashara had the best armor... He didn't like it... but it made sense.

"Take this... " He said to his wife as he handed over the beastman mask. "I'll be hidden. They'll be aiming at you... If the wall doesn't go up, They'll be more likely to follow if their spells aren't working on you." He stared intently and added. "They won't get past the funnel."
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:17 am

"Don't be too hasty about throwing yourself into the bait role," Kaldric told the priestess, his tone still edged despite the sudden reversal on his tactical views. "If the first doesn't go off as planned, perhaps the second, third, or fourth will." It pained him to say it in such a fashion, and doing so almost led him to believe if his first went off poorly it was much deserved for lowering himself to that argument.

"Would anyone like a vial? These are non-magical, alchemical reagents that none of you need fear, and they could be of use for a damaging volley just before the nagas move through the warding. Either way, I am ready when you are."

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm

With a grimace, she looked down at the mask Elric handed her. She loathed the idea of him being separated from it, but from the expression on his face Ashara knew that it wasn't a request... It was part of the deal if he was going to go along with this plan!

"I know they won't..." She whispered her reply with a confident smile, letting her fingers brush gently along his hand as she took the mask. "Thank you..."

Ashara's gaze dropped briefly to the determined purse of her husband's lips that she was always so tempted by before a battle, but before she could avail herself of them, Jorelon's boisterous acceptance of Kaldric's offer reminded her that they weren't alone. Her eyes were drawn back up to Elric's and with an impish grin she turned back to the group.

"I'm going to have faith that the casting of your wall will work the very first time," she nodded to the mage. "It's just good to expect the unexpected as my papa always says. If for some reason the Mythal chooses not to allow us that first wall, than maybe it wasn't meant to be this time. Those bombs of yours will no doubt come in incredibly handy!"

Ashara patted her satchel of various vials that Kaldric had given her earlier that morning and again nodded her thanks. If it came to it, she had every intention of making use of them!

With some reluctance she tied the unfamiliar leather mask around her head and rolled it up above her eyes until she might have need of it. Even touching the magical item made of beastman's flesh made her skin crawl and Elric didn't exactly wear it as often as he could either, but it did have its uses...

"Well, if everyone's ready then, shall we begin our casting?"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Everyone moved in close as Ashara began her spell on the group. Elric was a little excited, it was kind of a fun spell and they'd had a little use out of it on caravan duty between Kaber's homeland and Evereska. It wasn't one of those spells that you could see through if it was on you... even to yourself and your allies you could barely make them out amongst the trees...

Suddenly, he heard a splashing sound and nearly lost his balance. He was covered in, some kind of sticky.. slimy grease. Every movement threatened to send him sliding to the ground. Glancing around the others were in the same gloop he was. Durlan glared at the priestess as he silently twisted his beard wringing the grease out of the matted hair.

Jorelon nearly fell during his casting, but sheer determination kept him on his feet and he prayed (a bit more literally then usual) to silence the dwarf. As the spell went off, Elric felt a familiar warmth flow through him. He'd just been healed. He wasn't exactly damaged... but he knew that senstation anywhere, and it wasn't one of the little heals... it was the 'big one'. Looking around he noticed the nicks and scratches on the others disappear and realized that everyone got one... He'd never seen a mass heal before... that was a nice change.

"Think I like his better." The dwarf winked at Ashara he hooked a thumb toward Jorelon.

"Let's keep going..." Elric suggested. "No camoflage, no silence... Though the heal is nice switch... Let's salvage what we can of the plan..." Ashara nodded and continued. If only one was going to be doing the ambushing... Elric may do the most damage.

"What the..." Elric muttered as the spell ended. That was his first clue something had gone wrong. Black smoke was curling around him. As he hopped away the smoke followed him, and slowly dissipated into something he'd hoped to never see again. Writhing black tentacles stretching out in every direction!
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Slipping and sliding, Ashara somehow managed to keep her feet as four of the writhing tentacles slithered over her arms and legs to try to grab hold! It appeared that they were having difficulty with the Grease as well and somehow she was able to avoid them. Jorelon, Kaldric and Elric were not.

She didn't understand... The spells she'd chosen, Camouflage and Silence were two of the lesser powered spells they had available, and she'd suggested them for the express purpose of lessening this risk! Lessening...not eliminating. But that every one of the would be twisted?!

The priestess managed to convince the warriors to go along with this idea in spite of their obvious reservations, and apparently this was the reward for that trust. The abject failure of the plan before they'd even begun!

Using her shield as a counterweight to avoid falling on her backside, she swung the holy mace at the tentacle right in front of her that was restraining Elric. Three solid strikes and the half elf was free.

"Kaldric needs help!" She motioned to the mage who was being crushed by two of the rubbery appendages, and then turned to make her way over in that direction as well, where Jorelon was also restrained nearby.

As she did so, Ashara kept an eye to the north. Hopefully the naga and hobgoblin wouldn't be ambushing THEM!
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Without a word the warrior leapt to the mages aid. "Seems like... It's always... Tentacles... " He muttered as he sliced away at the dark billowy masses clinging to Kaldric. Three had wanted to crush the mage... two were succeeding... within moments there was only one left.

"I'd hoped I'd seen the last of these in Dagadar..." Elric growled as black smoke trailed from his blade.

Trees creaked and one broke under the crushing strength of the the tentacles, Elric was just glad there were so many targets around. There were a LOT of tentacles, and as long as they were busy with trees they weren't crushing his friends.

In the glade the Naga spun to the south. Beady eyes narrowed. something was going on down there. He could practically taste the ripples in the weave as powerful spells One, maybe more intruders. Something amongst the trees.

Silently he looked to one of his Skeletal counterparts. Investigate was his simple command. Destroy if possible.

With a twist the Bone Naga unhooked itself from the sled and slithered off to the south.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Sub-Creator Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:43 pm

The black tentacles practically burst from the empty air all around him, writhing and grabbing for anything and everything in their general vicinity. Kaldric knew exactly what they were, and knew, as well, that they had angered her greatly with their hurtful words---probably none moreso than himself. A tentacle reached for him, but he skittered aside and only suffered a light lashing from it. However, the slickness from the grease caused him to stumble just enough that a second ebony appendage slithered up around his waist to trap his left arm against his body. Now in dire straights and without a chance to dodge any others seeking him out, the mage raised his right arm overhead as high as it would go. The tactic proved fortuitous when a second tentacle grappled his torso. With an arm free, he might just be able to get a spell or two off, though it certainly wouldn't be easy.

He groaned with racking pain as the tendrils squeezed with supernatural strength, twisting muscle and snapping bone with absolute ease. His ribcage closed within one another like interlocking fingers, grinding bone against bone until a couple broke off to pierce the very organs they were supposed to be protecting. The constriction forced the life breath from his lungs as simply as a master bard might the air from his bagpipes. Blood spat out in a crimson gush, leaving its dark remains dribbling down his lip and chin like murky, ooze-choked water from an old fountain. When he attempted to replenish the lost breath, he found he lacked the strength to do so.

Time now his mortal enemy, the wizard lolled his head back to peer north. His vision blurred from unbeckoned tears, and the world grew disproportionate when seen through grotesquely bulging eyes. Still, Kaldric somehow managed to make out an odd-shaped object bobbing up and down through the tall grasses of the glade. A bone naga, his brain sputtered, coherent enough to remember the name of the undead beast. The priestess Ashara had informed them that the creature had magical talents; if it was permitted to loose its magical fury upon them while in the midst of this chaos, they would all perish here. In spite of all else, he had to raise that warding, had to protect them from that danger for long enough to defeat this one.

The Veil Initiate saw the flash of a sword from the corner of his eye, but paid it no heed. That blade might as well have been cutting the lower half of his body in twain for all he cared . . . such may actually have helped alleviate the agony of pure fire and ice, which was all his brain truly registered from his body at present. Indeed, he wished it had rid him of that suffering, as it would have made it easier to do what needed doing. Mustering all the strength left in him, Kaldric brought his free arm around to the north and began flicking his fingers through arcane symbols meant to construct the double warding of indigo and red veils between the encroaching enemy and his companions. His digits should have known those motions well enough by now to do them of their own accord, but his movements were sluggish instead of crisp, and his fingers refused to perform all the necessary gestures. Complicating matters further, his lungs housed no more air from which to speak, so the incantations never passed beyond his lips---only a slow, weak whistle that blew bubbles in the bloody froth that had formed on them.

The Sub-Creator

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm

With his short, but powerfully built legs, Durlan plowed through the two tentacles that threatened to engulf him. Whether it was the Grease that kept them from taking hold or the dwarf's fury that made the rubbery appendages think twice about that particular target, it might never be known, but in either regard they bounced off and disappeared into nothingness.

Two of the things were squeezing Jorelon ever so tightly, forcing a groan of agony from his throat. But he was fighting back... Somehow he'd managed to free his weapon arm and after doing so, swung his starmetal mace at the base of one of the things, scoring a hit but doing little appreciable damage.

Dulan had been heading in the priest's direction. Had been that was, until he saw Kaldric just beyond him, spew out a gout of blood. That didn't bode well... Since the Jorelon had some fight in him yet, the dwarf charged past, his low center of mass helping keep his feet from sliding beneath him, as he ran up to Kaldric.

The half elf had succeeded in destroying one of the tentacles but from the frothing red foam bubbling from the mage's mouth and the glazed look in his eyes, he was holding on to consciousness...and life...by a thread.

"Oh no ye don't! Not yet mage!" Durlan growled as he slashed at the final tentacle that held the man. "Ye got work t' do!"

The slick surface compromised his first swing as the weight of his mithril axe threw him off balance, but not enough to lose his footing. Learning from the first failed strike, Durlan squared his stance and with the keen edge of his most trusted ally he sheared off the offending tentacle right at its base.

He was going to call out to Ashara to aid the mage but she was already sliding over in that direction. With a snort of frustration, Durlan kept any further opinions about magic use to himself for the time being and he rushed back toward Jorelon who was still fighting for his life.
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm

As Kaldric fell gasping, but free to the ground, Elric spun to help the still trapped priest of Lathander. He saw Ashara reach into her bag and produce a healing potion. The half-elf nodded as he saw her pouring it down the mages gullet. Prior to the mythal surges 'incident' with his clothes... that would have been at his hip. Now all the potions were consolidated with one person... that seemed dangerous.

Elric slashed like mad at the tentacles crushing the life from Jorelon and heard him gasp for air as one finally fell free. The dull clomping behind him told him that Durlan would be at his side to help any moment, when he heard Ashara shout a warning.

"To the NORTH!" The priestess cried pointing at the approaching skeletal Naga. Just before the Sacred Guardian activated.

"LOOK OUT!!" Elric shouted as twin bolts of electricity streaked from the newest enemy and tore down the path. He dove to the side of the path but not fast enough. Teeth locked in pain he felt the magic rip through him and continue back through the ranks of his friends....

With a heavy curse Durlan pulled himself up off the ground and swung his mighty axe. Arcs of electricity still trailed as he dug deep into the rubbery greasy thing that was killing his friend. The tentacle itself was twitching something fierce, but it appeared that flailing may have saved Jorelon. He also was hit, but only a glancing blow. Still, without the dwarf's axe, it wouldn't have made a difference.

Whether the lightning or the determination of Durlan it was hard to say, but with one mighty swing, mithril severed the tentacle and the priest hit the ground.
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Autumn 1372  - Page 25 Empty Jorelon

Post  Penelope Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:22 pm

"Th...th...than...ks...ss...ss..." Jorelon stuttered through chattering, bloodstained teeth as the shock of the lightning ebbed from his body. After seeing that his friend was still alive, Durlan nodded once and charged off to help end this battle before things could get any worse!

Bones crunched and ground together as the priest pulled himself to a sitting position on the Greasy path. He was gravely injured... Badly enough warrant an attempt at casting a healing spell, but if things went wrong?

Ashara had just finished tending to Kaldric, and the mage was coming around. If a healing spell went awry now there was the possibility that it could kill not only himself, but the mage who may be able to stop the dead magic area from moving toward the Dawnspire!

He couldn't chance it... There was too much at stake!

Every breath was agony as his lungs expanded beneath his shattered ribs, but Jorelon somehow clambered to his feet and half stumbled, half slipped over to the edge of the path. Ducking behind a tree, he reached into his pouch and pulled out a vial of holy water. The priest hurled it at the abomination, and watched the glass shatter against a portion of the twelve feet of ribcage, where it shattered and boiled against the unholy bones.

With a prayer to the Morninglord on his lips, Jorelon's trembling hands reached into his pouch for another vial. The half elf was on the bone naga now. Hopefully it wouldn't have get the chance to loose another such a spell!
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Marcus Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Elric barely had time to notice the finer details of the monstrosity in front of him. Hacking away at the monster. It looked like nothing as much as a human skull, with two sharp fangs attached to a spine that coiled and twisted like a snake. A wicked barbed tail looked ready to skewer someone. Eyes that glowed with hatred.

It was completely silent even as his sword slammed into supernaturally hardened bone. But somehow he knew it was ready to strike again with a spell. Obviously they couldnt' trust the mythal to protect them and he was worried whether his little band would survive another barrage like the last one.

"If your wounded, GET to the TREES!!!" The warrior yelled out for those behind them. His punches and slashes were working... but he feared not soon enough!
Colin Marcus
Colin Marcus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

It seemed rather fortuitous now that Elric's clothes disappeared when they did. If the Mythal hadn't stripped him bare, he'd still be wearing his pouch with the healing potions and if he'd been wearing the pouch, then Ashara wouldn't have had the potion in the Haversack to give to Kaldric just before they were both struck by lightning. If that hadn't happened, then she was fairly sure that the eccentric mage may not have been breathing just then... In hindsight, it seemed that her husband's nakedness had just saved a life!

That was going in the story...

Kaldric wasn't in the best of shape but he was safe for the moment and would hopefully be moving toward the trees where Jorelon had taken cover. With Dawnspeaker in hand, and electricity still arcing over her armor, Ashara turned and ran toward the naga, desiring for all the world to end it right then and keep those companions alive!

The Grease was still coating the grass, making moving at any significant speed difficult, but thankfully able to keep her feet, she charged up alongside the creature whose eyes burned with malevolent intelligence and hatred for the half elf that was assaulting it. She could feel the electrical charge building in the air as it prepared to loose another devastating lightning bolt, but it never got the chance. Ashara drove Dawnspeaker into its vertebrae. A large target. She heard a crack. Then, she felt the pull of the Mythal as the magic of the holy mace was released, disrupting the bone naga and reducing it to a cloud of dust. This time it had gone in their favor and a good thing too, but the priestess knew that she'd have to be careful about the weapon's disrupting powers in the future!

Ashara's gaze turned up the path to the north. More would likely be coming soon.

"Elric, I think you'll be able to make better use of this than I can under these circumstances," she said, pulling the beastman's mask off her head. The priestess took a couple steps forward and reached out to return the magical mask to her husband. "You may end up drawing some fire after a--"

Ashara stopped mid-word as blue flames erupted from the adamantite rerebrace on her right arm. Her eyes widened.

"It's close... The second piece!"
Penelope
Penelope

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next