The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Fireside Chats - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Fireside Chats

5 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Fireside Chats - Page 8 Empty Sarala Medvyed

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:33 pm

"And as charming as you are, you've never been great at improvising. You worry too much about getting it right." Sarala teased. "It's not a terrible quality to have, you know." She gave her brother a smile of encouragement. Even though the responsibility of kingship was hard, she was glad that it rested on his broad, sinewy shoulders. She would have broken long ago had the weight been placed on her own.

Sarala wanted to encourage her brother, to tell him what a good job he was doing and how the people of Novastasia loved him. Though the words were true, the sentiment didn't seem appropriate. As well meaning as they could have been now was not the time for platitudes.

She sighed, thinking about how Thaddeus' reputation hung on so many variables. Even though it was not her intent some of her own actions had thrown dirt on his reputation. Like he said, everything had ramifications. She wasn't very good at thinking through the farther reaching consequences of her actions. That would have to change should she wish to uphold his reputation in the future.

"So where do you think you stand, reputation wise?" she questioned, becoming momentarily distracted from the relationship issues they were currently trying to sort out. "And where do you draw the line between a pristine kingly image and protecting your subjects and land? As you sit on your throne, what is it that is the most important to you? Your image, your goddess, or your country? What hill do you plan to live on, to die on?" Her eyes glittered with frank curiosity before a sober thought clouded them over. Growing suddenly doleful she searched Thaddeus' face for assurance as she asked the next question.

"Aside from the Mivon incident, have I done anything else that has sullied your reputation?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Fireside Chats - Page 8 Empty Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Thaddeus thought for a long moment. These weren't easy questions and they didn't have easy answers.

"Anything you've done," he repeated quietly. "No. Off the top of my head I don't know of anything you've done to harm my reputation." He smiled ruefully and winked at her. "Although not knowing what you've been up to... is part of the reason we're here today.

"There's been a few minor gossip floating around... but I don't think that's at your feet.

"As for where my reputation stands now?" He sighed a little and looked inward. "I'm not sure.

"Everything I've done, I believe I've done for the right reasons... but I'm not sure how they look from an outsiders perspective. Varnhold was shattered... we saved the people there. Fort Draleve was besieged by their own rulers... we rescued them too. All these people will live better lives under our rule then they would before.

"However, four 'rulers' came down from Brevoy... and I now control three of the kingdoms. Back when we were scouting this land, Mivon wanted to war with us over our expansionist goals.... but that was innocent misunderstanding.

"Now? We haven't turned our sights toward them, but I bet their concerned. We started out as the new kids in the neighborhood... and now our territory rivals any of theirs. I suspect my reputation may not be exactly what I wish down there... or among any of our neighbors I fear."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 pm

"If I make any plans for assassinations I'll be sure to get your official signature," she teased. She looked at him expectantly, "but you still haven't told me what is the most important to you. Is it your reputation?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Thaddeus let out a long breath as he weighed the question in his mind. What she was really asking him for was a mission statement. What he wanted to build his reign upon.

"What I want is to live on all three. A glorious castle that spreads upon all three hills with interlocking bridges and supports to the point you can't see where one ends and the others begin." He chuckled at the image her metaphor had become. "It's not likely to be that easy, but that would be the ideal."

He ran his hands through his dark hair as he tried to prioritize everything that he was, everything he wanted to be...

"It's... difficult to rank things. They are all important to me, and all three are connected. I suppose that the church comes first. The tenants of Saranrae are what I've chosen to base my life around. They are the goal I strive to reach and the foundation for the person that everyone said would be a great king.

"The people? I believe that following the tenants are best for the people. They will help mold the kingdom into a shining beacon and a land of prosperity for all. I don't see it as choosing the church over the people. I see it as the church helping the people. One leads to the other." He shrugged his shoulders and looked past her deep in thought.

"My reputation? I don't know what to say about that. Everything I do, I do because I think its for the best. Best for the kingdom, best for the people. I hope that people can see that. I want them to see me and know that I'll be honest and fair, and work to make things right for all involved... The phrase 'Paladin of Saranrae' or really Paladin of anyone should hold weight. It needs to mean something.

"However, it's not unfathomable that my best intentions will be misconstrued. Helping the Draleve and Varn people for example. I did so for the best possible reasons, but they could look differently seen through a different lens. I will never sacrifice my people or church to save my reputation, if that's what you're asking... but at the same time, I think if I focus on the first two, the third will come along naturally."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 pm

"I hope that is a sacrifice you will never have to make." Sarala looked at him with solemnity. Even as he had spoke she knew what his answer would be. The answer was evident. Saranrae, the people, and his reputation, in that order; just as it always had been. His reaffirmation of what she knew to be true soothed her to the core.

"Despite whatever misconceptions may be out there, I think over all your reputation is as it should be. You are not the kind to sit idly by if it were not so.

"As for me, I know that my reputation isn't what it used to be in your eyes. And I'm well aware that I'm the only one to blame for it." Sarala swallowed hard. She hated this tension. She wanted him to trust her, to just know when she was being honest, but this wasn't the way of things. Sarala had to wonder if he felt about her the way she felt about the rest of the world. Untrustworthy until proven otherwise.

"You said earlier that you don't know when I'm being honest. I know that honesty is something you hold in high esteem. It's part of what makes you the Paladin of Saranrae; it is part of your weight, the weight of your reputation. So even though it may cause me some discomfort, I want to fix this.

"What can I do that will prove I am being sincere?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Thaddeus blinked in surprise. This really was the best conversation they'd had in recent memory. She seemed to really want to put all this unpleasantness behind them. He really hoped it would happen.

"Sara..." he said with a softness in his voice. "Just do this...

"Talk to me... Tell me what is on your mind from time to time... The good and the bad."

He shook his head in frustration. "You said it yourself, you feigned confidence and you wove lies...

"Just... stop.

"You've gotten so good at disguises and infiltration and pretending to be someone else... It really is astounding, but I think sometimes you don't take all the makeup off. When you talk to me, you still wear a mask.

"I don't like the mask..." he said with a chuckle. "I miss the real you. I'm sure you're still down there somewhere, changed, grown, but still Sarala.

"If you've really changed your mind on so much... things like arranged marriage and such or even marriage to begin with... I want to know why. I want to know what happened to make you alter your world view. Was it sudden or did it take months of 'little things?'

"These are the things we used to talk about... I should never have been taken by so much surprise at the things you say."

He grinned mischeviously and shrugged. "Well, maybe not all the things you say. You've always kept me on my toes.

"I just... I'd like to get back to feeling like we're on the same team again. As opposed to playing on opposite sides of the chess board each trying to outthink the other..."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:59 pm

"I thought we were on the same team, at least up until recently..." Her words were hushed and penitent. She bit her lip. "I was trying to protect you, to help you stay focused on what mattered. But it all got a bit... convoluted, and at some point I started protecting myself instead. I wanted to make all this easier for you, but I really just made a mess of things."

Sarala continued to chew on her lip. She wanted to call out her recent behavior for what it was: self destructive, but she couldn't let go of the reasons she had used to justify herself. Though it tore at her sensibilities to do so she knew she needed to tell Thad her reasoning. If she truly trusted him, he would put her mind at ease.

"I'm sorry for the mask. It was never my intention to hurt you with the lies. I felt that they were innocent enough as long as I used them for a better purpose. The reality of it all is that I was afraid. Afraid that the truth would be more damaging than the lies. That my honest words and feelings would only serve to bring you more concern. I saw how much of a burden you had to carry already. I didn't want to add it. I still don't. But I'm starting to understand that my fears aren't worth the ruin these lies caused our relationship."
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Thaddeus fought hard to keep a serious expression as she opened her heart and showed him the sister he had missed all this time. It wasn't easy. He wanted to sing and dance and do a cartwheel. Admittedly, he had never been good at cartwheels as a kid, and he was only clumsier now. It was probably for the best that Sarala's shed wasn't big enough for him to try.

Besides even though his eyes may be gleaming with joy, this was still a serious and delicate conversation.

"Not ruined... Dented, bruised, maybe a little bleeding, but never ruined," he said with a sparkle in his eye.

"You don't have to worry about protecting me, I can handle just about anything that comes our way... I'm just not as certain I can do it alone.

"My life is devoted forgiveness, there's nothing that you can do, that I would let ruin our relationship beyond repair."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:16 pm

A look of pain-tinged relief washed over Sarala's face as the ice hard wall around her heart began to melt. Her lower lip trembled slightly as she impulsively sprang to her feet. She both flew and fell into the empty seat beside her brother wrapping her arms around him and burying her face in his shoulder.

"I really hope that silly grin you are hiding is because you are happy, and not because you're secretly mocking my stupidity." Sarala's voice was muffled by the royal raiment. Underneath the immature banter she was truly glad to have a brother of such strong character. Sometimes Thad seemed too good to be true, but she had the privilege of knowing him. She knew that when things failed, or wrongs were done, Thaddeus would do his best to stay by his word no matter how he felt about the situation. This reminder of her brother's constancy warmed her heart even more, stirring up words she had tried so hard to hide.

"I don't know why I was trying so hard to protect you..." she continued to mumble into the king's capable frame, "it was such a burden. How stupid I've been. How stupidly afraid. Afraid of hurting you, of messing up your rule... afraid of things that, in the long run, really didn't matter. I've made such a mess of some things. Mostly of us. I was ready to blame you, to say that you haven't helped much either, but I'm beginning to think some of that wasn't entirely your fault. I got so crazy, about the kingdom, about you, about Feluanil, about Zaistrun... it was almost really bad crazy... I was getting out of control. I don't want to be that crazy again.

"You're right," she pulled away to look him in the eyes. "We're going to have to start doing this together again. I gotta quit taking my own route, thinking I'm helping when I'm really not. It's not going to be easy," she let out a chuckle. "Goodness knows we disagree enough... and we both have a fair amount of pride. But it's not impossible, and I want to try. As long as you're still willing to bear with me as I try to change some bad habits I've formed over the last couple of years... You've done it this long, right? So what's a little more!

"I will drop the masks. And if I don't then I want you to call me out on it. Wearing them around you wasn't doing any good anyway."
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Thaddeus returned her hug two-fold and laughed. It had been a while, and for a change he was not wearing the solid metal dinner pans. I "It's happiness sis. Just happiness.

"The mocking will come later," he couldn't help but tease. "Maybe when I'm wearing my armor...

"We're both dealing with things that I'm not sure people were ever really supposed to deal with. I'd be more concerned if we didn't make mistakes once in a while. I promise to call you out on your masks if you keep calling me out on my mistakes.

"I think not listening to criticism, is what makes a king into a really bad king, and never, ever, stop caring about the kingdom!I really hope you don't believe that I believe your caring is a bad thing...

"I just think we can find a way to disagree... a bit better!"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 pm

"Oh you know me, I love pointing out where you've gone wrong." The sylph's eyes twinkled. "I'll just try to do it a bit more discreetly in the future."

Smiling Sarala eased back into the corner of the bench. She drew up her knees and tucked the toes of her soft boots under Thad's leg. Resting her chin on her knees she realized that she was seeing her brother in a different light. He wasn't her childhood companion anymore, no longer the one whom she could talk into doing anything. Nor was he the young fighter, fresh from his training, spurred to right every injustice. Even the current picture she had built of this sort of glass canon shaped like her brother faded.

As the wall she had built between them began to crumble she started to see the man he had become. There were evidences of trouble and uncertainty but they were hard to see under the ever present aura of hope that surrounded him. The bloom of youth was fading and the firm jaw that replaced it spoke of a strong resolve. Before her she saw a strong, capable man, with a light in his eyes shouldering the burden of responsibility with humble care. It wasn't exactly what she was expecting to see, yet it was comforting all the same.

"Finding a better way to disagree will be a challenge, I think, though it would be best. We're gonna have to break some pretty ingrained habits... it's not completely impossible but it will take... work." Sarala heaved a laden sigh as she hid her face behind her knees. "Mostly on my part no doubt," she vented to her thighs. "I have a fierce aversion to that kind of work. I wish a person could wave their hand and be done with it."

Lifting her head again she peered up at Thaddeus sheepishly. "But the pay off in the end is worth it, right?

"What am I saying? Of course it is!" she countered herself with confidence.

"So how do you suggest we go about it, this new way of dealing with our little conflicts?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Thaddeus waved his hand in an imperial manner and a mischevious smirk. "I tried that... It didn't work. There are some things that are even beyond my power," he said with a sarcastic chuckle.

"It's not just you," Thad said with a reluctant sigh. "We'll both have to adjust things."

He sighed a little as he bounced things around in his brain. How to completely change their way of thinking was a question left to wise sages, not himself.

"My first guess would be to honest with each other. If I know you're going to be honest, and I've always thought your heart was in the right place.. then I'll be the first to trust and support you. I'll stop assuming you're trying to trick or manipulate me... I'll try to curb some of that noble paranoia that seems so prevalent amongst our families.

"I think it'll come down to communication... don't be afraid of telling me something that you think I'll disagree with... I really don't want there to be these kinds of secrets between us."

He spread his hands wide in open invitation. "Is there anything you want to know about me?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:50 pm

"Hmmm, are you sure you want to ask that?" Sarala placed a finger on her lips as she mulled over the open ended question. She did her best to ignore the nagging reminder that there were still some things she was keeping secret from Thad. Those things would just have to wait.

"Well, first something a bit frivolous," she said with eyes glinting. "If the betrothal with the Feluanil never happened who would you have wanted for your queen?" Sarala gave Thad her most winning smile. "Now since the question is obviously hypothetical than I want you to think big! No limits! You can pick any woman regardless of age, race, or state of being, even if they are no longer living.

"Once you answer that one I will grant you a more serious question."
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:53 pm

"Wait, what?!" Thaddeus had not expected that. He probably should have, but he had no idea how to think 'big' in such regards... as a rule once 'state of being' and 'no longer alive' were tossed into the mix he didn't spend much time fantasizing...

"Ummm," he said as he thought carefully. Typically he would have blown this question off with a quip and changed the subject.

"I'm not really sure..." he admitted with a hint of frustration. "I can think of several qualities I would look for in the perfect queen... I mean I would have a certainly wanted the best person for the job of course. She would have to be wise, intelligent, have the best interests of the kingdom in her heart and preferably a love for me as well.

"Beautiful would be a bonus of course," he said with a chuckle. "Ideally someone who shared my religious beliefs and would share a healthy love of adventure..."

He shook his head and laughed. "If you're looking for a specific name... I'm not sure I've met her yet. Living, dead, or imaginary, she may not exist. I've known some who possess a few of these qualities... Feluanil included, however all of them in one woman? I'm not sure there is a 'perfect' queen for me."

His eyes narrowed as he looked at his sister and his mouth smirked up. "And before you suggest anything... there will be no harems or multiple queens running around... That's not an option." The idea made him chuckle.
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Fireside Chats - Page 8 Empty Re: Fireside Chats

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 pm

"Whooph, why would I suggest that? Way too much drama!" Sarala rolled her eyes as she tried to shake the thought of multiple queens in the castle. All she could think about was the tension she had felt in Fort Drelev. "No, I think one woman will be sufficient.

Sarala chewed on her lip, as was her habit when she was thinking about something. "Your answer is passable... I suppose," she sighed reluctantly. "I expected more, but I guess I get what I get.

"You know, of the qualities you listed, there are far more that Feluanil possesses than not." The sylph shot a meaningful look at her brother. "But enough of my nagging.

"Now for a more serious question, as promised." She cleared her throat and fixed earnest green eyes on Thad's face. "What do you mean when you say you want me to be happy? Do you simply mean for me to be happy or is there more to it than that?"

Thad's desire for her happiness had been bothering her lately. She didn't really know why. She knew she should be glad for his sentiment, but somehow the hope for her happiness had felt hallow, shallow even. She knew she wanted more than just happiness in her life. Trust was important. Security. Understanding. Those were significant desires, ones that may even precede happiness. She thought Thad understood this, but every time they had talked about Zaistrun lately, Thad's frustration always culminated in the phrase, 'I just want you to be happy...' Sarala felt the need to press him for a meaning before she took offense at his intent.
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:03 pm

The king's head tilted as confusion flooded his face. "Do I want you to be happy... or do I want you to be happy? Is that what you're asking me?

"I think... perhaps you may be searching for some kind of hidden message or secret meaning when I really intended none.

"I'm not really sure what you're asking me..."

He frowned sadly as he recalled some of their earlier conversations. The ones that had helped widen the rift. He hoped this wouldn't be a repeat.

"You seem... to have given up. There's a... spark missing that concerns me. Heaven knows you weren't quite as obsessed with boys or love as a child as Lili was. Nobody could have been. However, this current attitude has me even more worried. This idea you had that you can't trust anyone and love was forever beyond you...

"That's not a healthy attitude.

"I believe that you can have it all. I have a greater duty to follow, one that requires sacrifices, but you have more luxury."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 pm

"This duty, it's yours and no one else's?" Sarala furrowed her brow. "Huh... That's interesting.

"I mean, I know you have to make sacrifices, but you're not the only one. Unless, of course, you want to shoulder this burden alone..."

Sarala watched Thad press his lips together in frustration.

"No, I know that's not what you meant," she sighed, trying to let go of feeling offended. "But sometimes you care around your obligations like some sort of a martyr... as if you and you alone have to rule the kingdom. I know you're the monarch but you have help, you know...

"Anyway, I know you view marriage to Feluanil as a personal sacrifice, and I can understand why... She's not what you wanted. Though I think if you continue to face that relationship with resentful duty things won't ever get better between you two. Sacrifice doesn't have to be drudgery."

She sighed again.

"I suppose I do have a bit more luxury in some respects, but I fear trust will always be an issue with me. As for love, to be honest, I'm not really sure what love means anymore. My childish ideas of love seem to have fallen flat, as has the idea that happiness in the chief end in life. I don't understand what love is yet... and I'm beginning to wonder if I understand happiness. Saying that you just want someone to be happy seems like a cop-out to me. Aren't there better things to wish for a person than just happiness?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 pm

"Hmmmm..." Thad murmured thoughtfully. This was a strange line of thought and not one he'd really pondered before.

"There are better things certainly... There are responsibilities that must come before simple happiness. That is certainly true. I wouldn't wish for you to go see an opera or something when there is still work to be done... That's not what I meant at all.

"I suppose people wish each other success or wealth or power... but that kind of thing doesn't always end well," and he added with a smirk, "Besides, you already have those things..."

He shrugged as he looked at his sister. "I'm not sure what to say. You're right. I do play up the martyr a bit... about a few things. However, there is an awful lot that I still take joy in. Being king here... makes me very happy. It's difficult some times, but I also find it very rewarding...

"There can be a balance between duty and happiness. As you just said, 'Sacrifice doesn't need to be drudgery."

"Where is your balance?"

Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:37 pm

"My balance?" Sarala shrugged. "I don't know...

"I don't always feel happy, but I'm not unhappy either. I like what I do. I like were I'm at. I know there's been a lot of struggle lately, for me personally, but it seems to be righting itself. And I think the struggle is helping me work through some things, and I'm okay with that. Honestly, the thing that has been the most upsetting lately is the thought of your disapproval. Not that I'm blaming you for my unhappiness..." she waved her hands frantically at him hoping to convey her sincerity. "It's just that... you have more rules than I do, and there are things I do that wouldn't always... fit with your rules. And I hate it when you are disappointed with me! You get that look on your face... and it tears me up inside, and it makes me mad! I wanna fight and cry at the same time.

"This is why we really need to find a better way to disagree, a safer way. But then, I also know I need to start trusting you again by being honest. Then maybe we can work through all that disapproval junk."

Sarala started to twist a strand of hair absentmindedly. She knew she was rambling. This happened when she wasn't absolutely sure of herself. She needed to bring her thoughts together somehow, and make this all understandable for herself and Thad.

"What I do isn't drudgery, with the exception of paperwork. The 'sacrifices' I have made have not been drudgery. Courting Zaistrun isn't drudgery, believe it or not. I find I quite enjoy his company now," she dropped her eyes as a faint blush colored her cheeks and the corners of her mouth turned slightly upward. "It's nice to be, I don't know, comfortable around someone. He's steady... and I like that. Sure, there are times when he is still maddening, but he doesn't change. He is who he is... and that's nice to count on.

"Do I feel happy? Not the way I feel like you want me to. I don't always want to smile all the time, my heart isn't always light, but I'm okay with that. I'm okay with not always feeling happy... so does that make me happy? Is this the balance?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Thaddeus raised a silent eyebrow as much at her blush as her words. He made a choice not to embarrass her more.

"That... may be for you to decide, not me," he said with some thought. These are deep philosophical questions that... frankly require someone wiser then I am to answer. Traica or Jhod perhaps. "

Philosophy was never the king's strength and it was time like this... days when he needed to define 'happy,' that he regretted not paying closer attention to his mentors.

"What do you do for fun these days," he said suddenly. "I think it's time we did something together that didn't involve either an argument or cleaning monster blood off our weapons and armor."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:57 pm

"Well, you did interrupt me in a bit of fun in the garden. I do quite enjoy tending the roses when I have the chance. What do I do for fun..."

Sarala's cheeks ballooned with air as she gave the question some thought. She worked the air back and forth from cheek to cheek before shooting it out the side of her mouth. Her eyes contained a hint of boredom as she continued. "Well, I do so enjoy teasing you... but I'm not so sure you reciprocate. Dinners with Zaistrun have been entertaining, but I don't think that is what you are looking for. Sometimes its fun to hang out in an inconspicuous street corner and catch the gossip... No? Hmmm," she pursed her lips in mock concentration. This was a swift change of topic which meant that Thad was most likely hiding something. She thought about ignoring it but she really didn't feel like playing along.

"We could play cards!" she fained childlike epiphany for a second before letting her face fall. "No, you stopped playing cards with me a long time ago... said something about me always cheating you out of your stuff...

"I would like to wager something now however," the crestfallen expression turned savvy. "I'd wager a bottle of whiskey that you're not all that interested in talking about pleasurable pastimes. I bet you have something else you want to ask, but your holding back. Spill it, my dear brother, or I will begin to think you hold a double standard on this being honest business!"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:18 am

"You would lose that wager in my opinion," he said with frustrated sigh. "Or perhaps we'd both lose it. Depending on who the judge was I suppose.

"I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't interested. I think it would be nice to see us spend some time together without the entire inner council or constantly risking life and limb. I have my painting and hunting... if you wish to use that word," he chuckled a little. The king took regular trips to the woods with his bow, but rarely ever brought anything back. Still he found the peace and quiet to be rather enjoyable. "but I don't think you'd enjoy that. Perhaps we could go riding some time. We don't seem to ride as often anymore. Not since Zaistrun has more efficient methods of travel...

"That's where my mind was going when I asked," the king said with a shake of his head. "So the interest is there... I think you owe me a bottle." He frowned a little as he considered whether to keep speaking. As usual, he kept going.

"Then again, the segue wasn't entirely innocent. We're making such progress here, that I find myself showing... caution in approaching certain topics. Things that I balance between bringing up or mentioning at some other day. Sometimes it's hard to get out of the diplomatic mindset. I'd rather not have you attack with me a gardening tool or just stop speaking to me for another month...

"I'm a little concerned when you talk about the need for... I don't know, stability? Constance? Change is everywhere... I've changed, you've changed, Zaistrun will... probably change too. The kingdom evolves everyday and lifespans alone mean you can't place your trust in something just because it's familiar.

"I can understand the appeal of things being familiar, but I just hope you don't flee things because they are different. As for the bet? Your call. I may have been holding back, but I didn't really have something to ask either."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:32 pm

"Yeah, I know," Sarala winced a little as she leaned her head back on the stone, closing her eyes in irritation. "Believe me, I know. Why do you think I have so many trust issues? Things are always changing. People are often capricious. You think you know someone and then they don't do what you expect..." She felt her throat tighten just thinking about it. Swallowing hard she tried to push the panic away. Her next words were issued in the cadence of annoyance.

"You think I will grow bitter and old in some tower, separate from all of society." Letting some weight off her shoulders she sighed and, looking again at Thad, spoke in softer tones. "It worries you... doesn't it?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:49 pm

"I do," he said with a sad nod. "Perhaps I'd use the term lonely and aloof... but the idea is close enough. Regardless it's a fate I don't wish for you.

"You seem like you're in trouble, and I'm not sure how I can help, if I should help, or if this is just you finding your own way and I should mind my own business."

He shrugged awkwardly.

"It's a riddle I've yet to solve."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:04 pm

Swinging her feet off the bench and down to the ground, Sarala turned and laid her head gently on her brother's shoulder. She was starting to understand Thad's perspective. It didn't annoy her as much as it had before, his constant nagging about her mistrust in people. Before she had seen his concern as his way of trying to make her act more like he did. Now she could see his desire that she become a better version of herself. It was also something she desired but didn't know how to achieve.

"I'm a troublesome creature, aren't I?" she said penitently. "I know my trust issues have been bothering you for a while, and it doesn't seem like they are getting any better... but I'm working on it."

She nestled her head closer, hoping her words didn't sound like empty promises. "I know you think it would be nice if I woke up tomorrow and suddenly all my trust issues were gone. Honestly I don't know what I'd do with myself. You said it, I like my trouble. I mean some of it is cumbersome, but I guess I've come to understand that it is what is...

"I know you don't believe that for me. I know you believe that I can have something more, and maybe that will be true... maybe one day...

"I guess I owe you a bottle of whiskey..." She sighed letting all the words and thoughts drift off into space. Some things were easily fixed while others took more time and patience. This would be the latter. She was just glad that she could finally talk about it without trying to take her brother's head off.

"Going for rides together might be nice. Maybe we should make it a regular thing. At least as regular as our schedule permits. Maybe we could ride at dawn. I know I'm not an early riser but I think I could manage to pull myself out of bed for my beloved brother.
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Fireside Chats - Page 8 Empty Re: Fireside Chats

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum