The Wood Between the Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 77 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am
Latest topics
» The "Bored at work" thread
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 9:31 pm by Magyc

» Fangwood Map
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm by Magyc

» Introduction to Kestrillon
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 am by Eddick the Steady (XIV)

» Picturesque
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm by Magyc

» Pathfinder
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm by TRU

» High Jumping
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am by Magyc

» The Adolescence of Silas Trester
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 pm by The Sub-Creator

» Prophecy from the Vistani
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 am by TRU

» Lettters of Correspondence
Fireside Chats - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am by Colin Marcus

Fireside Chats

5 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Fireside Chats - Page 4 Empty Sarala Medvyed

Post  Sarala Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:04 am

"Gee, thanks," Sarala gave her brother a playful shove as she stood up to scan the shelves of books. "I am so glad that my existence is so enlightening. You could use the education since you didn't pay attention to the lessons Tutor Nianavich taught when we were younger, Swordboy. It really is too bad you didn't apply yourself when you were younger. I know mother had such high hopes that you would be a brilliant scholar."

Her finger absently traced the bindings coming to a stop in front of a row of particularly thick volumes. Decidedly plucking a volume from this row she hugged it to her chest and turned to face her brother once again.

"You know there is no time like the present to learn! Especially since you have so much free time on your hands. Can you think of a better way to fill it than to brush up on-" she paused to look down at the book's cover, "-Mathematical Theory and its Practical Application to the Fields of Engineering and Planer Magic?"

She presented the book with a flourish, laying it gently across Thaddeus' lap. Before he could react she nonchalantly changed the subject.

"Oh, by the way, did I tell you I met a guy...?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Fireside Chats - Page 4 Empty Thaddeus Medvyed

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:10 am

Thaddeus flinched as he read the cover the tome. He liked the idea of knowledge. He wished he could could be the intellectual, especially now that he wanted to be the kind of ruler who knew more than how to swing a sword.

However despite having added the book to the shelf in optimism... he was pretty sure he would NEVER read this one!

With a simple dropped sentence all thoughts about 'Planar Magic' left his mind.

"Really?!" He said in half disbelief. "Who's the lucky fella?

"Anyone I know?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:16 am

Sarala threw her head back and laughed at her brother's sudden reaction. "Yes, I believe you may know of him," she said, composing herself. "And, you know, by 'guy', I mean new friend... and by 'friend' I mean new employee," her eyes twinkled with mischief as she looked over at Thad.

"I've hired the former bandit Navika to be a spy for me. Someone to go and glean information when I am otherwise engaged. I figured he should be good at it, he had a kit for disguises on him after all...

"What do you think of my resourcefulness, brother dear?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:34 am

Thaddues flinched a bit at that. He wasn't comfortable with the idea of 'spies'. Though, he did value information. Information was valuable. Spying however? It just sounded... untrustworthy.

"Resourceful sounds about right... but I'm not sure I approve. This man was a bandit not so long ago. His crimes weren't severe enough to justify more stringent punishment... but that doesn't mean I trust him to represent me and my kingdom.

"Who or what is he spying on?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Sarala wanted to roll her eyes but decided to refrain. She knew her brother would disapprove but facing the fact was still annoying.

"But I trust him, Thad." her words were defensive. "And it stands now I am the one who pays him. Though he may do work to aid in Novastasia's prosperity in the future, ultimately he work for me. I keep close tabs on him, and he knows it.

"I chose him for a reason," Sarala sighed. She knew that Thad was just stating his opinion, there was no need to be so ruffled about it. Sounding more self assured she continued on.

"When I was going through his stuff to catalog it for sale after we imprisoned him I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the equipment I carry and his. I had been thinking for a while about how I would like to have another eyes and ears around Akiros who can be here while I'm gone. The four of us, what is it Wynn calls us... the Matsuro Shi? Anyway, we're gone on missions a lot of the time and I always feel torn going with. Who else is going to keep up on the local news while I'm gone?

"Then came Navika. He needed a good job and I needed a good worker. It was a perfect match. I can come and go as I please and now I feel less like I am missing something important. He's been doing very well over the past couple of months. So well that I think I might even send him to one of our neighbors, just to test the waters...

"I would go myself... but I know, for now at least, I'm needed here."
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Thad nodded absently as she explained her reasons. They made sense. Gossip and spying was an important element in rule. He knew that much from the games his father and Cor played in Brevoy. Everyone was always paranoid over who was listening, when, were, and who else was paying for what was heard. It was... unseemly in Thad's eyes, but ultimately necessary. Datzig was his own eyes and ears amongst the people. Instructed to act as a go between and inform him of any unrest amongst his people. That situation was working fine as it was.

"It is tough isn't it," he said with a chuckle. "It's good to know I'm not the only one who has trouble delegating. What was it that makes you trust this man? I hope its more then 'He isn't just a bandit... He's sneaky like me!!'

"Is this Navika truly reformed... someone else we can mark on our list of 'reformed bandits'?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:26 am

Sarala rolled her eyes at her brother.

"Oh come on! You should know that my judgement call is based on more than just the ability to sneak around. There are a few more things that go into it than that..."

Offended that Thad would assume so little of her she glanced at him through narrowed eyes. She didn't like having her methods called into question. Just because they didn't always work for her didn't mean they were shoddy and useless. Thaddeus could be a real pain sometimes.

"To be fair though, my decision to hire Navika was more of a gut reaction." Sarala cringed a little, expecting the coming disapproval. "You might say he was in the right place at the right time. As for reform, I think the money helps. I think he might be willing to reform, as long as success follows. I thought I might help him out.

"I trust him, but I don't trust him. I trust him to do a job that pays. And I keep close tabs on him. As close as I can, anyway."

Sarala could see the growing cloud of concern forming over her brother's head. His disapproval of her talents as a spy sat hard like a rock on her chest. She did her best to shove her disappointment aside knowing full well that he would never truly understand the value of what she had chosen to do. Seeing him rule this burgeoning land would be reward enough for her.

"Look, I know you don't really like this whole spy thing... it's not really something you are comfortable with. But I thought I could at least tell you my plans and what I'm doing to help things along. I just figured, since you are the king, that you should know."

She tilted her head to the side and looked at Thaddeus with tempered resolve.

"And besides all that," she added in a gentler tone, "I just want you to know."
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 am

"Mercenary then..." Thad grimaced a bit at that. He'd have preferred if this man had loftier goals than that. To be fair though, the motivation of money was what started Datzig on his road. If he wanted to be honest with himself, it may be what still kept him on that road.

"Well then little sister... I leave him in your hands. Just... keep a watch on him. We're not a rich kingdom, and there are always people with looser purse strings then ours."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:31 pm

"Hrmmph," Sarala snorted in assent to her brother's last words. It was true, they were a poor kingdom. The Medvyed estate in Brevoy had far more wealth than they had in Novastasia. Akiros was still a fledgling town, barely big enough to handle the merchants that came through on route to bigger and better cities. She hated the idea that her hireling, her spy, could be so easily bought out by their competition, and there was little she could do about it.

"I'm trying my best, Thad," she said with a shrug. "I really think he could be an asset to our kingdom. What I wouldn't give for a few more like him, or even better, for copies of myself that I could send other places... but that's impossible. It would make things so much easier, though...

"But for now I have Navika. There may be more that I can add to that number as long as fate and my purse allow. I would love to have a whole crew if I could, but those are just dreams... for now."

Folding her hands around one knee she stretched back and let her mind wander down all the possibilities that would come with a crew of spies. Some of the paths ended badly, and some outcomes had too many variables to predict. Even so she believed that having a handful around to do what she did would be of more help than harm. Her thoughts wandered back around to the cozy castle library and the man who accompanied her there.

"So what is it exactly that you don't like about spying?" she asked with genuine curiosity. "I mean, I can guess at your reasons, but I'd much rather hear you just say it, so I know the truth."

She waited eagerly for his answer. It was her hope that despite their often differences of opinion when it came to methods that somehow they could find a middle ground where they could agree and from there be able to work in greater harmony to change the Stolen Lands for the better.
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Thaddeus leaned back as he tried to put his thoughts and feelings into words. This was one of those times where things were more about emotion then they were logic. Logically, spies were a great resource and invaluable to a ruler. They all had them, he'd be a fool to think otherwise. Probably a couple running around this castle as they spoke. Of course, that line of thought would only breed paranoia.

"Spying is... a breach of trust. If I tell someone something, I expect to believed. The idea of someone coming behind me and rifling through my papers to prove what I say... is offensive.

"You know I'm very straightforward. If someone wants to know something they can ask me. I will give them as much of an answer as I wish them to know. Prying into my hypothetical secrets is a breach of trust. If I deem something 'secret' then I obviously wish it to stay that way. Having someone else decide that my reasons aren't valid enough... It is an insult.

"As such, I would.... and undoubtedly will be insulted when I find spies around me." He shrugged at the inevitability of it. Every noble, every ruler entered into negotiations or greetings with some kind of ulterior motive. Looking for some chink in the armor of the one they spoke to. It was one of the things he hated most about Brevoy.

"As much as I dislike not being trusted or having my judgement insulted... I also don't want to be accused of doing such things to my peers and neighbors. I wish to establish honest dialogue with people... Having spies sneaking around... lying... It undermines my position. It says that I don't trust them...

"However... I realize that not everyone feels the same, and not everyone should be trusted... It's an interesting balancing act to say the least..."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:09 am

As Sarala listened to her brother she quickly realized that the harmony that she wanted wasn't going to be accomplished quickly. Someone was going to have to give for things to work smoothly between the two of them. Sarala didn't know who would end up making the sacrifice. They were both very stubborn individuals when they wanted to be. Some might say that she was the most stubborn of the two but she knew better. It would be a mistake to think that Thad's abundant mercy was a sign of a weak will.

"Your ever present honesty is astounding, Thad." Sarala said with awe. "I don't know how you do it. The way you trust people on principle alone. I know it seems to work for you but to me it doesn't make sense. Most people out there are not deserving of that kind of trust.

"I appreciate your honesty, I really do! It's very comforting to me. It's a part of you that you should never change. If you did then I wouldn't know what to do with you. I already don't know what to do with everyone else in the world, it's nice to have you as a constant. I'm not like you, though. I can't trust people upon meeting them for the first time. No matter how decent they may seem, I just can't do it. I need to know a person, and to me that means getting past their words and appearance. How I come about some of this knowledge may be a little unorthodox but it works for me. I don't look to exploit secrets, though exposing them is can be necessary, though rare. I don't want to like to offend or insult a person, but I'm willing to if it comes down to it.

"So where does this leave us, huh?" Sarala peered at her brother through calculating eyes. "You want to deal with people honestly and I really don't want to undermine your position, as you said. But I do want to provide some foreknowledge of who we are dealing with when it comes to our... neighbors. I want to keep us, keep you, from getting in over your head politically when at all possible. We're new to this game, and I don't trust the other players to play fairly."
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 am

Thad sighed deeply as he considered her question. It was dangerous balancing act... He was firm in his belief that his code was in fact his and he wouldn't ever force others to his standard... Individuality and free will were important to Sarenrae too, after all. However, when that person's free will reflects on him?? What should he do then?

Somehow he foresaw a lot of sleepless nights in his future...

"Well Sara..." He said with lopsided grin. "I know that, and I agree.

"I trust you to do what you always do. You have amazing instincts. I consider myself quite adept at reading a persons intentions, but even I'll concede you're better at it then me. People don't... speak freely around me anymore.

"You see things... hear things, that I don't. And most important, I trust your motives. What you do is for the good of the kingdom and me...

"That doesn't mean I trust your... minions so completely. I just hope you don't get over your head here... and make sure to keep those instincts honed on... Navika, was it?"

He chuckled aloud as he added. "As for copies of you? Forget it! I'm not sure I could handle more then the one I have!"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:44 am

Sarala laughed with her brother. "No worries there, Thad. Like I said, I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

"As for my 'minions, well, I'm doing my best. And if I do get over my head I think I know a certain ruler of a small country who might be able to help me out."

Sarala couldn't help but notice her brother's despondency over some of the changes in his status. She reached out to touch his shoulder, hoping that maybe she could say something to console him, perhaps even lift his spirits.

"Ah brother, you are in a great position of authority, which by tradition alone demands great respect. People don't feel that it is right to speak freely with you, or they fear to do so, but it is not because of you, but merely because of what you have become. Not that become a ruler is a bad thing, it is a very good thing. You are just what these people need." She was backpedaling and the look of bewildered consternation on Thaddeus' face told her that her attempts at improving his spirits weren't working. This would not do. She had to try a different route.

"Father was a good lord, wasn't he? Of course he was. If you were to talk to even the poorest villagers in Stoneclimb they would have sung his praises. Why? Because he deserved it. He was just, patient and generous to a fault. And he was kind, welcoming, never demeaning.

"You are like him, Thad, so very like him. You have his heart and his drive for better things. The people here in Akiros, they still don't really know who you are. To them you are just another leader of men, like the ones in any other country, except that they have heard that their lives might have better chances here. They treat you like they have treated others in your position, putting you on a pedestal, setting you were they think you belong, high and out of reach. But that is only because they don't know you yet.

"Give it time Thad. We've not been here a year yet, so give it time. And just continue to be you. Once they get to know you better they will see what a misfit the pedestal is under you. Show yourself for who you are and they will trust you. They will come to you in time."

She smiled kindly and patted him on the shoulder. Sarala couldn't help thinking how proud she was of her brother. Stoneclimb had been Medvyed territory for generations, handed down father to son. But Akrios, this city was new and Novastasia was still a babe of a nation. Thaddeus was cutting for himself a brand new path. A newer and greater legacy than even Cor inherited. And she was so glad that he had brought her along to be a part of it.
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:50 am

"I hope you're right," he said with a wry grin. It did his heart good to think of his father. He had spoken so many times to Cor about 'leadership,' but even those conversations he'd listened in on were more about maintaining the status quo. The fact that his father had inherited the land from Thad's grandfather only furthered the mystery of 'starting' a kingdom.

He chuckled as he waved his cheap novel at his sister. "You know... it's kind of funny how these things always end with the main character being crowned or something... Winning the day and gaining the prize...

"The real adventure seems to be what comes after!"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:17 am

Sarala laughed with her brother. "I suppose you're right. Maybe they just didn't want to spoil the fun for the ambitious ones," she grinned and heaved a small pillow at her brother, "The ones destined for glory! You know the type, right? Perfect hair blowing in the wind. Blonde, of course. Shiny boots and a sword with a gem encrusted hilt... and something prophetic inscribed in an archaic language on the blade. They fight the dragon, save the princess and it's all happily every after from there on out.

"If only it were that easy, right?" her green eyes looked on him with a perfect mixture of wit and gravity.

"I think you should write your own book," she said after a moments pause. "You know, an insiders look at all of that. I think it would be interesting to read an honest account of how a kingdom is created. It would sure beat the lot of stuffy histories that other kings write, filled with half truths to shine them in a better light. Not to mention all the propaganda. And who knows but someone may need it down the road.

"Write a book, Thad. Than I'll have your words to pass on to the future generations."

Her eyes had lost the twinkle of mischief but shown instead with the light of hope.
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:27 am

12th Erastus 4712

It was a long journey home, but in Thaddeus' mind it wasn't long enough. His mind was everywhere and nowhere, and before he knew he was riding up to the familiar sight of his castle.

There was little joy in the sight though. As his illusionary horse disappeared people came out of the woodwork demanding his attention. Some more preferable than others, but all distractions on an already overburdened mind.

Wynnsaren had returned from Mivon with news of an elven meeting and the availability of Mivon's mercenaries.

The bird he had sent to Lord Varn had returned unread. That news did not bode well for his few confirmed allies to the east.

Henri practically jumped the king with news about the influx of refuges and a thousand details about the care that earned him a glare from Thaddeus he rarely used outside righteous combat. The castellan stuttered a moment before falling silent and stepping back.

"Very well..." Thaddeus stated in an annoyed voice. "The bird will keep till tomorrow. Wynn, I want to hear everything you have to tell, but could you meet me near my shrine in about... three, better make it four hours."

Looking over his shoulder he saw his sister trying to make a subtle exit. The sylph had been silent the entire trip home, and Thad needed to speak with her. Preferably without the entire castle in attendance.

"Henri. When Sir Tambor arrives back, tell him that I need to speak with him immediately. In the meantime, Have some dinner sent to my office.

"Sarala, if you'd join me..." He turned his back on the awaiting assemblage and strode determinedly to his sanctuary.
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Cringing inwardly, the sylph followed her brother on into the castle, through the halls and back into the king's private chambers. Normally she would have been relieved to talk through the recent events with her brother. He was one who understood her best and he was ever a patient listener, a solace when her thoughts were in turmoil.

But today she wished to keep her inner turmoil to herself. She had hoped to slip away once reaching the city. Unfortunately the personal fog that had surrounded her brother since the meeting with the fey queen had cleared right when she had sought her escape. Now she was stuck. Her brother, the king, wished to see her...privately. It really wasn't a big deal, she thought to herself, just a quick chat between siblings. Despite continually assuring herself her stomach continued to tie into knots.

She licked her lips before asking the most obvious question. "So... um... what did you want to see me about?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:37 pm

It didn't take long to get a small fire going in the fireplace. Even in a drafty castle, the fire wasn't needed in Erastus, but Thaddeus felt an unfamiliar chill that he couldn't shake.

Standing with hands on the hearth and gazing at the flickering flames, he found himself answering his sister in a harsher tone than he had intended.

"This isn't one of your tricks is it? I mean... You didn't do this did you?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Reluctance quickly turned to rage upon hearing her brother's accusations of trickery. The fire flickered wildly as a sudden gust of wind rushed about the room. The smaller items collected on the mantelpiece began to rock back and forth, a few getting swept from their places and crashing to the floor. Some of the pictures flapped in the wind as if trying to escape from their poorly hung places. A stack of papers on the desk began to slowly decrease as sheets in groups of twos and threes took to the wind, falling eventually on the floor. The cup of quills careened into the ink well sending a black lake to ooze over the remaining papers on the desk.

The door behind the sylph shuddered in it's frame as if it desperately wanted to let the chaos through. And there in the center of it all, with wind tossed hair and wild eyes, stood Sarala, right in the eye of the tornado.

"How dare you," she seethed, barely above a whisper. "How dare you pin this on me! You think this is a joke? You think I would stoop to something so... so low, so absolutely infantile? Are you that dense? We... are... at... war! With an enemy that will most certainly take us out without blinking an eye. And you think that this very good, very positive, very serious alliance with the fey kingdom is an elaborate scheme just to bring me temporary amusement?"

Her tone grew louder and louder with every breath until she was practically shouting at him.

"How dare you accuse me of committing such a great offense not only to you but also to Queen Feluanil, not to mention the kingdoms you both represent. I was trying to help you back there, trying to keep you from making what might have been one of the biggest mistakes of your life to date. And this is the thanks I get? An insult? Well, I can see when I'm not wanted."

Without waiting for a reply Sarala turned and opened the door to leave.
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilian Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 pm

"No... Stay." Thaddeus whispered himself. Sarala had a right to be angry and his shoulders slumped in disappointment in himself. "Please stay awhile...

"No... I don't find this funny in the least, and I don't think you would do... this. I really don't," he sighed in frustration.

"It just seems... that I have to choose which is more incredible... that my known prankster sister who has been hounding me to find a bride for months... happened to set up a meeting that forced my hand into just that....

"Or that father lied to me and sold me to the fey as a child..." He turned from the fire and looked toward Sarala in the doorway.

"I guess part of me was hoping it was a joke... But it isn't, is it?

"What do you think Sara? Do you believe her?"
Emilian
Emilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Without turning around, Sarala spoke from the doorway, her voice still tainted with anger.

"Why wouldn't I, Thaddeus? Has she ever given any of us a reason to doubt her? Do you really think the fey queen, a being of undetermined power and a wisdom and experience that far exceeds even Wynnnsaren's years, would stoop to such a prank?

"No. This is very, very real."

Sarala paused for a moment, fighting the tension that threatened to rise above her shoulders and choke her. Leaving one hand on the door she turned to look at Thad, her eyes still reflecting the tempest from before. Her words came out slow and measured.

"Oh, and thank you, brother, for showing me just how much, or should I say how little, faith you have in me. It's nice to know where one stands.

"Now if you're expecting me to comfort you in your time of... crisis... well, I'm not really in the comforting mood.

"Is there anything else you require of me at this time, sire?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Thaddeus winced as her justified anger cut him like a knife. He was out of line with the pseudo-accusation and he knew it. Sighing... he sat down in his preferred chair and looked over toward his sister.

"Look... I'm sorry. I really am... I would really prefer to speak to my sister for a while... but if I can only speak to my spymaster... then yes, I have a few things for her too...

Before she could answer a wide eyed serving girl arrived at the door and looked at the disaster the room had become.

"Ummm... I was told to bring some dinner for you and Lady Sarala," she said with uncertainty.

"Thank you Meralise," the king said as the girl stepped passed Sarala to set the bread and meat and the bottle of local whisky on the table between the chairs. "That will be all."

Dismissed the servant bowed respectfully and excused herself in a hurry. The state of the room and Sarala's unexpected reaction had really made a mess... and somehow he suspected the gossips would be dining better tonight then he did.

"What do you say? Stay for dinner at least?"
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Sarala's stomach growled as she watched the bewildered maid leave the room. Despite the recent tensions the confused look on the girl's face managed to slightly amuse her.

Crossing her arms over her chest she turned back to Thaddeus. From what she could tell he did seem sincerely sorry. She didn't want to forgive him, not right away, but then, she also knew that now was not the time to hold a grudge. With a laden sigh she sat down in the chair next to her brother's.

"Well, I suppose I can stay for a little while... but you'd better watch your manners." She reached for the whisky and took a sip right from the bottle. There was an awkward moments pause before she spoke again. This time the tension had left her voice and had been replaced with a hint of teasing. "You know, if you're going to treat a girl to dinner you ought be more careful about picking the place. This room is an utter pig sty. What would your subjects say if they knew?"
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Post  Thaddeus Medvyed Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:45 am

Thaddeus smirked at the jab. Teasing was a good start. Pointing out that she was the one that messed it up... would not be.

"I'll see to that shortly." He said with a chuckle. He picked up his fork and stabbed experimentally at his food. It smelled delicious, but for some reason he wasn't as famished as he should have been.

"So you believe her then?" he said thoughtfully. "I didn't sense any deception in her.. but honestly, I was too shocked to look for the typical tells of when I'm being played... I don't remember ever being buffeted around a conversation like that in my life... Every time I thought I was back on solid ground, the rug was pulled out from me again."

He scrunched up his nose a bit playfully as he looked at his sister spymaster. "Since when do you trust so quickly? I seem to remember it took you months to trust Wynn... and she only showed up knowing our names.

"Feluanil? We've met her only three times in just a matter of days... Our conversations with her wouldn't have added up to twenty minutes. Yet she claims to know more about our family secrets then we do ourselves...

"Not suspicious at all?" Thaddeus shook his head with a frown. "Normally I'm the one who takes people at face value... but this, just seems a lot for me to accept."
Thaddeus Medvyed
Thaddeus Medvyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarala Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:31 pm

"You find it hard to accept the fact that the monarch from a different race who might easily be three times your age saw your future and choose to marry you when you were still in diapers and is only just now revealing this to you? I thought that would be old hat by now." Sarala reached for a piece of bread and began to pick it apart, nibbling on the soft dough. Even though her words were teasing there was no mirth behind it. She looked at Thad with concern.

"Is it really that strange? This... arranged... um, betrothal? Medvyed's have a long history with the fey, so it's not exactly like they are a strange and alien race to us. Medvyed's have always had an understanding with them, maybe even more than an understanding. Why is it so strange that this is happening, that this could work?"

She tried her hardest to believe the words coming out of her mouth. If her confidence faltered than she would be no help to Thad. He didn't need to know about her reservations. They would only serve to make the situation more confusing.

"Besides, you're doing pretty good to snag a woman so way out of your league when you were still soiling yourself. She must see something extraordinarily special in you..."
Sarala
Sarala

Back to top Go down

Fireside Chats - Page 4 Empty Re: Fireside Chats

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum